Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default MadHat Scents - Discussion Thread.

Give away is complete, thanks all for participating!
    Last edited by rynegne; 24th April 2014 at 05:07 PM.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

Default Re: First Willing to Review - MadHat Scent Amber Tar US ONLY

That was fast...

Ok, I'd like some more feedback from my other fragrance as well, Vesrim. First Basenoter that finds this might be something they'd like, shoot me PM me and I'll ship you one of my few remaining 1ml samples. Description is listed below. MUST BE WITHIN THE U.S.

Thanks all!

Vesrim (25% Concentration of Oils to 75% alcohol)

- This fragrance first started out with Haitian Vetiver, Haitian Coffee and White Grapefruit Peel oils that were allowed to mellow over a 6 month period.

After the mixture was allowed to mellow several months different oud and sandalwood-based attars were added to give the fragrance more depth.

Something was missing still, a tincture of scorched parchment paper gave Vesrim the final touch. The combination of precious woods, florals and earthy aspects make this fragrance quite unisex.

Fragrance Notes: Vetiver, White Grapefruit Peel, Coffee, Burnt Parchment Tincture, Oud, Saffron, Musk, Damascus Rose, Mahogany, Cade, Frankincense, Cedar, Sandalwood. *Oils diluted in alcohol.
    Last edited by rynegne; 7th April 2014 at 02:12 AM.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

Vesrim is being sent to stargarden. Thanks all for the consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Ok, I'd like some more feedback from my other fragrance as well, Vesrim. First Basenoter that finds this might be something they'd like, shoot me PM me and I'll ship you one of my few remaining 1ml samples. Description is listed below. MUST BE WITHIN THE U.S.

Thanks all!

Vesrim (25% Concentration of Oils to 75% alcohol)

- This fragrance first started out with Haitian Vetiver, Haitian Coffee and White Grapefruit Peel oils that were allowed to mellow over a 6 month period.

After the mixture was allowed to mellow several months different oud and sandalwood-based attars were added to give the fragrance more depth.

Something was missing still, a tincture of scorched parchment paper gave Vesrim the final touch. The combination of precious woods, florals and earthy aspects make this fragrance quite unisex.

Fragrance Notes: Vetiver, White Grapefruit Peel, Coffee, Burnt Parchment Tincture, Oud, Saffron, Musk, Damascus Rose, Mahogany, Cade, Frankincense, Cedar, Sandalwood. *Oils diluted in alcohol.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: First Willing to Review - MadHat Scents: Vesrim US ONLY

looking forward to it, thank you rynegne!

Blog Entries

Cool! Sounds good, too - a bit like a Middle-Eastern take on Dior Vetiver!

That's a really good way of describing Vesrim. I used Dior Vetiver as an inspiration initially, then found it was a little boring and the grapefruit peel was way too forward as I wanted to highlight the vetiver and floral qualities of the Haitian Vetiver I used in this one.

Amber Tar on the other hand, my other fragrance is a bit darker...smoke and incense. Loads of labdanum. One basenoter has seen similarities to NK Incense, but a bit more wearable. Which...makes sense as I drew my inspiration for several incense fragrances...and I LOVE labdanum which is a key player in NK Incense.

Amber Tar Description:
    - The backbone of Amber Tar is a costly but splendid fossilized amber which is produced from fossilized tree resin. By itself the raw material is smoky, resinous and dry/woody with petroleum-like undertones.

Not the typical amber you're picturing so far huh?

Well, we've still included some of the fictitious facets of parfumeurs amber. The fossilized amber is joined by vanilla and coco absolute, these DO NOT give the fragrance a sweet gourmand vibe. The typically gourmand notes are actual quite earthly making Amber Tar bitter sweet.

Labdanum, Cade and Birch Tar all lend themselves well to the thick, almost pitch black fragrance. Sandalwood Absolute, Atlas Cedar and Black Pepper round the fragrance out and keep Amber Tar from becoming simply, Tar. Amber Tar is made with 100% natural essential oils and absolutes.

Amber Tar Notes: Fossilized Amber, Frankincense Oman, Frankincense Heart, Vanilla Absolute, Cocoa Absolute, Labdanum, Sandalwood Absolute, Atlas Cedar, Birch Tar, Cade, Cardamom, Black Pepper *100% Natural Oils used in this composition, diluted in alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Cool! Sounds good, too - a bit like a Middle-Eastern take on Dior Vetiver!
    Last edited by rynegne; 16th March 2014 at 08:37 PM.

Thumbs up Madhat Scents: Amber tar

Sprayed this on an hour ago. At first wiff, I was strongly reminded of slumberhousr jeke, most likely due to the smokey cade and presence of labdanum in each fragrance. As this fragrance unfolded, it retained much of its smokey character, though with less sheer intensity than the aforementioned slumberhouse creation. As more time passed the scent settled down to a very beautiful churchy vibe as the cade labdanum worked with the ever unfolding frankincense together to provide an exquisite smell. More testing is needed, but so far I find this to be quite a well constructed fragrance, different enough from others in the incense genre to leave me very happy with my purchase.

Updates to follow

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Madhat Scents: Amber tar

Thx for those thoughts. On my short list of scents to pick up in the near term.

Have you also, by chance, tried Vesrim?

Sounds nice. Similar to Avignon, Zagorsk?

I have a small sample of versim and sniffed from the vial, but have not had a chance to properly test it at all... seemed to have promise from my preliminary sniff though

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Sounds nice. Similar to Avignon, Zagorsk?
    Same genre as those two CdG, similar vibe but really quite a different scent, I believe it is the cade oil... possibly birch tar that gives it a more realistic smokey vibe

Wow. I woke up to this in the a.m...after having a bad day yesterday and this cheered me up today. Thank you Dan, I'm glad you've enjoyed Amber Tar thus far. Very humbling words. Thanks all, basenotes and the sense of community can really lift you up when you're down.

One thing I will say about both fragrances is that they are of very high concentration and use naturals instead of synthetics. I felt for these two, they both needed naturals to veer a little off course from the typical vetiver/floral/woody fragrance and the typical smokey/amber/incense.

Both Vesrim and Amber Tar lie closer to the skin due to their natural composition and higher concentration. Both fragrances will last days on clothing and several hours on skin. If you're looking for a Bond-like fragrance with huge projection, these two won't cut it for you. They start strong and they move much closer to the wearer, wafting throughout the day...especially if your body heat rises.

Kaern, I've had feedback from a few people so far and Amber Tar has drawn references to two fragrances: Norma Kamali Incense and Kolnisch Juchten. I haven't tried KJ yet, but the Norma Kamali reference is definitely due to the high dose of labdanum. However, I believe Amber Tar is much lighter of a scent and has more smoke due the the presence of cade and birch tar.

JourneymanDave - Vesrim is a bright yet earthy fragrance. Haitian Vetiver is the backbone, along with florals/warm woods from the attars. The burnt parchment helps lift the vetiver forward in the dry down while the floral and warm woods move to the back. Vesrim is definitely a unisex fragrance with a very strong opening and mellow vetiver/wood dry down.

Here's a picture I took today which really lets you see the difference in color of all three fragrances. (Don't worry the Amber Tar on the right is my personal atomizer. I had a super glue accident :-/) Pictured from Left to Right, Vesrim, Atlas and Amber Tar.

Last edited by rynegne; 20th March 2014 at 11:50 PM.

Basenotes Institution

I am wearing it now

The top notes I don't like at all. I'm not even sure what I'm smelling - these images flashed through my head: leather, something synthetic and sort of plastic like, rusted metal.

It was only after the challenging top notes, when it started to warm on skin, that the fragrance settled down and became something a bit more solid and grounded.

The wood notes are fantastic - I smell like I'm wearing a luxurious attar from the Middle East or something like that, with a prominent 'brown' note weaving in and out that I cannot describe yet. Give me some more time & I'll post more impressions.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Plus

I am eagerly awaiting my sample! today it will probably arrive. Will wash up after work and wear it for the evening....
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Basenotes Plus

no delivery from my mail carrier today -- perhaps tomorrow. Really intrigued by Vesrim!

Interesting observations Mike, thanks for sharing! The top is definitely out there, no doubt about it. I think the oud really comes out strong on top with the white grapefruit, creating a really strange scent...like a metallic fruity wood. I'm pretty sure the brown note your smelling is either oud or...if it's slightly smokey then it's the burnt parchment paper.

I thought I'd share a picture I took today which really lets you see the difference in color of all three fragrances. (Don't worry the Amber Tar on the right is my personal atomizer. I had a super glue accident :-/) Pictured from Left to Right, Vesrim, Atlas and Amber Tar.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I am wearing it now

The top notes I don't like at all. I'm not even sure what I'm smelling - these images flashed through my head: leather, something synthetic and sort of plastic like, rusted metal.

It was only after the challenging top notes, when it started to warm on skin, that the fragrance settled down and became something a bit more solid and grounded.

The wood notes are fantastic - I smell like I'm wearing a luxurious attar from the Middle East or something like that, with a prominent 'brown' note weaving in and out that I cannot describe yet. Give me some more time & I'll post more impressions.

Don't worry, I'm sure it'll be there tomorrow. Just in time for the weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by stargarden View Post
    no delivery from my mail carrier today -- perhaps tomorrow. Really intrigued by Vesrim!

Basenotes Plus

I have faith in USPS. Did not wear any fragrance today, so I can give Vesrim a clean test. And see how my assistant reacts....then wear it tonight for the Friday night funtime

Don't worry, I'm sure it'll be there tomorrow. Just in time for the weekend!

Well, I'd let to add a note. I've worn Vesrim several times now and I really enjoy it. Its a close to the skin scent. However, if you heat up it explodes and has a fairly large projection. Also, it does have monster staying power. It lasts up to 12 hrs. on me.

The fragrance is quite complex and begins with a combination of notes that I mistakenly took as a type of lavender. It was a combination of the vetiver, grapefruit peel and a touch of rose. These top notes do last for quite a long time. They do fade into a spicy mid. I believe this is where the coffee and parchment take over. The drydown is filled with smoke and wood. Im not the best at "note picking" but this fragrance is very well done.

BTW, as was noted Amber Tar is somewhat akin to a "lite" version of Norma Kamali "Incense". It is a lot easier to wear. Its not for the office of course. I won't be purchasing a full bottle because I do have NK Incense. Nice job though.

Im looking forward to seeing whats coming in the future.

Cheers Rex

Basenotes Institution

Ah so that parchment paper note is what I was smelling...makes sense.

It was jarring. I personally smelled no coffee note in this one, but then again sometimes I'm anosmic to coffee in scents.

I had lunch with a friend yesterday & when we hugged goodbye she complimented me on my scent. I told her about Vesrim and Madhat scents and when I got back to the office she sent me an email asking for how to buy it, so I sent her the link. Which surprised me since I could not really smell this one on me, by lunch time, but clearly she could.

I love the drydown. It was the top / middle notes that I struggled with.

I also didn't think of Vesrim as a 'vetiver scent'. All of the notes combine in this way & make it much more of a modern, Middle-eastern- leaning woody scent.

-- Jack Kerouac

Thanks for sharing Mike and Trex!

Interesting that your coworker complimented the scent later in the day. I've found this one does indeed work with body heat quite well as Trex stated. During testing of the scent I thought it was nearly gone after the 3-4 hour mark and at hour 5 or 6 it would come roaring back as my pulse points randomly heat up throughout the day...Vesrim seems to be a shape-shifter of sorts.

Basenotes Junkie

Picked up my Vesrim package at the post office today, and hadn't made it out of the parking lot before I got a spray on my arm to sniff. Very interesting.

Had a quick wear of this before heading to the gym, sweating like mad, showering and now sitting down to spill out these initial thoughts. Hardly a fair wear senario for review, so I'll hold off on anything too specific until I've given it a few fair wearings.

I get the Vetiver, Sandalwood and Scorched Parchment most prominently. Little to no Coffee or Grapefruit Peel. The overwhelming similarities I get are to: Lush's Breath of God and Le Labo's Patchouli 24.

Both of those are quite challenging, especially on the open, but for those that love those kinds of challenging scents - count me as one - this is a Good Thing. I especially get the "Band-Aid" smell from Breath of God on the open, which is what I think Mike may have been referring to. I happen to like that, but I can absolutely see how it could be off-putting.

That's a really good way of describing Vesrim. I used Dior Vetiver as an inspiration initially, then found it was a little boring and the grapefruit peel was way too forward as I wanted to highlight the vetiver and floral qualities of the Haitian Vetiver I used in this one.
    Curiously, after getting sweaty and showering, Vesrim is still fairly prominent on the arm where I sprayed it. I'm definitely getting a nice floral-leaning accord, which may be an aspect of the Vetiver. Pretty nice for a change-up.

The wood notes are fantastic - I smell like I'm wearing a luxurious attar from the Middle East or something like that...
    Yeah, those top notes are challenging. I think of Breath of God and Patchouli 24 immediately. A smoky, plasticky, tactile accord. Could be a hit-or-miss for folks. Having originally been put off by the same kind of notes in Breath of God, I eventually came to appreciate it after a number of wearings of that one, and so I take to this in Vesrim with no problem. But still... yeah, not everyone will love this part of it.

Also agree with Mike that toward the mids, I get a really good attar-type feel. Like this a LOT. This is what I'm mostly getting post-shower, I guess I sweated or washed away most of the top and am left with this part at the moment. I could totally see wearing this with a smart casual or dress outfit at an upscale occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by trex57 View Post
    Well, I'd let to add a note. I've worn Vesrim several times now and I really enjoy it. Its a close to the skin scent. However, if you heat up it explodes and has a fairly large projection. Also, it does have monster staying power. It lasts up to 12 hrs. on me.
    It was close initially for me too, with 1 spary on my arm. I didn't notice it blooming as I was at the gym, but I was pretty sweaty too, so that may have damped it down. However, post-gym, post-shower, it's still hanging in there on my arm. I don't know what that translates to in normal wear, but it surprised me somewhat, as I expected it to be totally gone.

I also didn't think of Vesrim as a 'vetiver scent'. All of the notes combine in this way & make it much more of a modern, Middle-eastern- leaning woody scent.
    Yeah Mike, not really perceiving this one as a "vetiver scent" either. It's clearly in there, but there's a whole menagerie of notes in there. I appreciate the complexity though.

Vesrim seems to be a shape-shifter of sorts.
    Agree with this, starts with some controversial top notes, then goes more middle-Eastern. I haven't enjoyed the full drydown yet, but I anticipate wearing this some more over the next week.

Rynegne, I'd say this is a job well-done, with final commentary reserved until after I've given Vesrim some fair wearings. I can tell this one was composed by someone who is a real fan of fragrance, and not just a typical consumer. I'm sure I'm going to want to check out your other scents soon as well.

Basenotes Plus

I got mine today, and I am really digging the first hour. For me, this scent transports me to an incense laden head shop I used to go to in 1979, buying strawberry flavored rolling papers. I can smell the sandalwood and it almost reminds me of Gonesh #6 incense, love it! more as it develops....

Basenotes Plus

couple more hours into it - the opening calms down quite a bit and has a beautiful middle section that is very "middle east attar" - and i love it!

Basenotes Institution

Does this have sandalwood in it? If so, what kind?

-- Jack Kerouac

Sandalwood Absolute (New Caledonia), also there is some one of the more expensive attars I used which has a VERY SMALL AMOUNT of Mysore which is a little creamier than the New Caledonia but was over powered mostly by the florals in the attar...In it's raw form the New Caledonia absolute smells a little like Tam Dao EDT for reference.

Basenotes Plus

I am still enjoying this near the end of the work day. I really want to give this a try on a nice hot day and see how it develops. It does indeed go through three sections to my nose. Personally I really like the opening, it's a bit brash perhaps - but interesting and no offensive in any way. The middle section gets nice and "attar-like". And the final movement is a sweet yet woody scent that hangs close to the skin and I am currently enjoying!

For me, this is a no brainer for the price. It only takes a few drops, and 10ml will probably last me a long while. When would I wear this? Office, home, anywhere except the yoga studio (i keep it REALLY basic when going to yoga). I'm going to get one of the 10ml bottles, as I am pretty sure the ingredients cost more to make this than Ryan is charging. To my nose, it's quality fragrance.....

Basenotes Institution

Thanks, I thought so.

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Plus

LOL -- I just spruced myself up with some more Vesrim just to smell the opening hour again before leaving work

No problem Mike. No Ebanol or ISO in Vesrim either. Some of my up-coming stuff ventures will include the use of fragrance molecules. For the first 3, I wanted to go all-natural.

Thanks, I thought so.
    I'm glad you're enjoying stargarden.

Just a little background on Madhat...
    The ingredients used are indeed costly. Initially, I had no intention of selling any of my works. I really just wanted to create fragrances for myself and a few friends. I found people were wondering where they could buy Vesrim and a few of my other earlier workings...and I can't afford to give everything away unfortunately. I'm really trying to keep the prices down for others to try my stuff by NOT buying expensive bottles and packaging. Additionally, you'll notice that I'm pricing fragrances differently as they contain different ingredients. I felt this way another good way that I could not sacrifice quality of the fragrance for a fixed price across the board. I do have a day job and no intention of doing this on the scale that other amateur and artisan perfumers are...So my releases will be limited batch...usually about 200-400ml will be available per batch. I'll continue to do this as long as I'm able to! My favorite part is getting to share new and unique fragrance with all of you and hearing your feedback, both positive and negative.

Quote Originally Posted by stargarden View Post
    I am still enjoying this near the end of the work day. I really want to give this a try on a nice hot day and see how it develops. It does indeed go through three sections to my nose. Personally I really like the opening, it's a bit brash perhaps - but interesting and no offensive in any way. The middle section gets nice and "attar-like". And the final movement is a sweet yet woody scent that hangs close to the skin and I am currently enjoying!

For me, this is a no brainer for the price. It only takes a few drops, and 10ml will probably last me a long while. When would I wear this? Office, home, anywhere except the yoga studio (i keep it REALLY basic when going to yoga). I'm going to get one of the 10ml bottles, as I am pretty sure the ingredients cost more to make this than Ryan is charging. To my nose, it's quality fragrance.....
    Last edited by rynegne; 24th March 2014 at 07:30 PM.

Default First Willing to Review - MadHat Scents: Vesrim US ONLY

I was happy to take Vesrim for a spin recently, but due to other writing commitments, I was a little slow in responding. While I sent Ryan some more critical thoughts, I do want to join the above voices and add that Vesrim demonstrates some real potential. What struck me the most is that the main notes are handled with proficiency, playing very well together overall. I'm not the biggest fan of vetiver, but I like the way it's deployed here, and it reminded me of Vero's use of vetiver in Onda EdP in that you have to strain to really identify as such. Vesrim's affable and presents no real challenges—it's a very easy scent to get along with. It's a tad sweet at the outset for me, and I do think there's more work that could be done to polish it to the level of sheen that it deserves, but I'm categorically impressed, and I'd urge those of you who dig semi-sweet, exotic, bright scents to take it for a spin.
    Last edited by deadidol; 6th April 2014 at 09:28 AM.

I ordered a bottle of "Amber Tar". Hopefully it will make it to Germany.

Deadidol, did you already smell "Amber Tar"? If yes, I would love to hear your thoughts on it.

Quote Originally Posted by hoschhti View Post
    Deadidol, did you already smell "Amber Tar"? If yes, I would love to hear your thoughts on it.
    That one was a little rough for me, to be honest. It's highly phenolic and I think it could benefit from some tweaking. I'll be curious to see how it works for you.

Basenotes Institution

I wore Amber Tar last night for the 1st time.

Wow!

I was reminded of the amber I've smelled in Smoked Amber by D.S. & Durga (the Madhat is less sweet) and also 7 Billion Hearts by CB I Hate Perfume (an animalic smoky vanilla). The incense component of this much more toned down than the Norma Kamali mentioned above, but don't get me wrong, this stuff is strong. I only wore 3 tiny sprays (I decanted my 1 ml sample into a sample atomizer so I could spray it on) and I clearly smelled smoky and resinous for several hours last night. Perhaps this warm summer weather isn't the best time to be testing this, so I'm going to put this away & test it later in the year when it cools back up again.

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Plus

Have not tried Amber Tar yet - but regarding longevity - Vesrim is amazing, out of all the frags and samples I have in my collection so far it is in the top 10% for longevity and depth. I can still smell some on my wrist the next day when I wake up prior to my shower. And my 1ml sample is lasting a long time, it's very attar-like in that regard.

Thanks for the review Mike! And definitely stargarden, they're high concentration fragrances so they'll last quite a while but they may sit a little closer to the skin due to the concentration and the fact that they're both all-natural. The vetiver in Vesrim lasts forever, it's a very nice Haitian Vetiver that I used for the fragrance.

I shipped my last bottles of Amber Tar and Vesrim this week. They're both going back to the drawing board.

Amber Tar is now a shell of its former smokey self. I've employed the use of a few synthetics (it's still over 85% natural) and loads of labdanum. The first version is somewhat of a smoke bomb fragrance with birch tar being very apparent. Now, I've adjusted so that the smoke is in the background and it's more a leather fragrance with smokey amber facets. Vesrim has received a dose of rose...and I'm waiting on a few more materials to come in as well to take this one in another direction. Hint: I like vetiver and I'd like to highlight that part of the fragrance.

Both will most likely be released under different names Neither Amber Tar nor Vesrim will overlap in terms of smelling too much like the first rendition. Thanks to everyone that's tested, supported or helped me along the way! I've got some different things on the horizon - one will be coming out in a few weeks. Note profile is an interesting one: Oud, Cedar, Apple, Styrax, Hops, Star Anise, Cardamom, Black Pepper. I'll probably do a give-away of a few samples of that one (NorOud) soon, keep your eyes peeled!
    Last edited by rynegne; 17th April 2014 at 03:59 PM.

I never did a give-away for my oud fragrance, NorOud - Notes: Oud, Hops, Fruit, Cedar, Styrax, Star Anise, Cardamom, Black Pepper.

If you're interested in a sample, be the first poster to reply to this (US ONLY) and send me a PM w/ your address. I'll send you a 1ml sample vial. All I ask is your honest opinion of the fragrance in return :-)

Default Re: FREE Sample NOROUD Willing to Review - MadHat Scents

No worries Remik, I'll give away two!

Next to reply, you'll get one as well.

I still owe you $8.99 for the samples I'm about to purchase, but I'd love to try it as well (sorry, personal finances got to me, going to be selling a lot of my bottles soon).

No worries. This one's one me. Shoot me your address.

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    I still owe you $8.99 for the samples I'm about to purchase, but I'd love to try it as well (sorry, personal finances got to me, going to be selling a lot of my bottles soon).

Definitely interested in what you have going on rynegne. I also really need to get my blog back up and running come May, so perhaps I'll just have to get a sample pack or something if you offer that and write reviews (I do this for a living partially, as I'm a writer by trade).
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

OctaVariuM, shoot me your address. I'd be glad to ship you a sample.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Definitely interested in what you have going on rynegne. I also really need to get my blog back up and running come May, so perhaps I'll just have to get a sample pack or something if you offer that and write reviews (I do this for a living partially, as I'm a writer by trade).

I've got one more...post here that you're interested and shoot me your address...This one will be for Engin - smoked resins coupled with waxy aldehydes that turn into a creamy-woody resinous base.

Anyone new care to give this one a try? It's kinda a weird one, so hopefully you're into stranger scents.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: FREE Sample ENGIN Willing to Review - MadHat Scents

me me me me me :-)

Sounds like an intriguing fragrance. May I give it a try?
    Body Kouros, Fahrenheit and other designer bottles for trade in My Swap Thread

Absolutely, shoot me your address D.Sprad. Thanks all for participating!

Quote Originally Posted by D.Sprad View Post
    Sounds like an intriguing fragrance. May I give it a try?

I see good things for this house. An "Americana" house.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: MadHat Scents

I am buying a set of samples - my 1 ml sample of Vesrim has already had four good wears and there is still 70% of it left! Can't wait to try the other four samples I just ordered. And VERY excited for the new sandalwood based fragrance you are working on !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool Madhat Fragrances

Okay, this is a new one for me, never heard of them before a basenoter had a mention on their post.

Can anyone here give a review on their offerings?

I'm reading about 'Americana Rust' & 'Vesrim' on their site and see cade in the mix.
    Just how smokey is this? I usually detest anything with cade because to me it smells so much like road tar. But hey, that's just me!
    Another, Engin, has 'birch tar'. ;(

Reviews anyone?

Default Re: Madhat Fragrances

thanks llp, I really should have researched first!

Upon reading the opinions on these, they sound fairly good, with too much smoke for my taste. I love NK Incense and don't think I'd enjoy a 'lighter version' as one poster described! I want my incense frag very realistic and heavy!

I do purchasing for both myself and some for my husband (knowing what notes he enjoys), so, skipping even the samples for these!

Thanks again!

We should probably have an official thread for them, since there are those few threads up there that have some really good discussion. I'll be doing some lengthy write ups once my samples come in.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

You're welcome. meow7 - hope you both enjoy them.

Agree, OctaVarium - maybe the first one could have it's title edited by the O.P. & we could then merge them all together?

That sounds like a prudent idea to me at least. If we merge them all together then there will be a nice bank of information available in one area.

Hey Meow7,

Thanks for the interest in MadHat. I think anyone that doesn't like smokier fragrances should probably skip both Americana Rust and Engin. Amber Tar was an absolute smoke BOMB, I basically had a warning label out for those that bought...must LOVE birch tar! I do realized many don't have a passion for overtly smoky fragrances, so I've toned the smokiness down on my recent releases. Atlas Incense is definitely one you missed out on, it was heavy incense and cedar with supporting gourmand notes (not too sweet as they were naturals), that has since sold out.

Engin smells like burning resins and turns into a creamy/woody resinous scent with some spice notes. I did have a female basenoter that received a sample tell me that it was "fabulous" last night, so different strokes for different folks I guess :-)

Americana Rust isn't the smokiest now, I've toned it down quite a bit...but it does have slight smoky undertones. This one literally smells like dried tobacco and woods.

Vesrim had very very minimal amounts of cade and wasn't smokey at all. I've since re-worked vesrim into a different fragrance, it will most likely be re-released under a different name as I feel it's changed quite a bit from the previous fragrance. The newer version (I've yet to name) is definitely more heavy on the vetiver (a super grassy and nutty vetiver) and has other additional supporting notes, including rose, geranium, sandalwood and amyris.

NorOud is a combination of Oud, Amyris, Hops, Ginger, Fruit, Cedar, Styrax, Star Anise, Spices. It's a bright fragrance with loads of Oud (black agar, oud blend and even some real oud..oud) and Hops (the hops gives NorOud a green vibe and hints of pine.) NorOud has no smoke either and congers up images of a northern forest without heavy doses of pine or fir, hops is very light piney/green.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I will be releasing 2 new fragrances this summer that are nothing like the previous. They will be a warm sandalwood fragrance and a lime/coconut/musk/woods. These might be a little easier to handle than something like Engin or Amber Tar.
    Last edited by rynegne; 28th April 2014 at 09:24 PM.

Default Re: MadHat Scents - Discussion Thread.

I have three bottles coming in and will be doing a review on this exciting house.

Giving away my newest fragrance (1ml dab vial sample), MadHat Limed to the first US poster that stakes claim...just post here that you're interested. I'll follow up and ask you for your address information.

Just in time for summer...Lime and ginger meet four different types of sandalwood (Vanuatu/Australian/New Caledonia/Mysore) along with wafts of coconut, frankincense, vanilla, citrus and musk swirl. This tenacious combination of notes is perfect for both men and women. Inspired by white sands and gentle waves, grab your cocktail and join me at the beach!

Limed: Sandalwood, Lime, Cedar, Incense, Musk, Ginger, Coconut, Vanilla, Roman Chamomile

Basenotes Plus

Posting!