Code of Conduct

Default House of Matriarch perfumes made in Seattle.

I love to discover artisanal perfume houses and I received samples of most of the line for this small brand, totally unknown to me until a few days ago - House of Matriarch. Has anyone else tried them? I think they make very good fragrances. Somebody is having lots of fun up in Seattle. Like most small artisanal perfume companies their presentation, bottling, packaging and even the names in some instances are not very helpful. But the fragrances are astoundingly good. At least this is my opinion after my first run through on their samples.

My favorites from this sample run are:

ALPHA - an unusual copal resin incense with other incense and wood notes. A superior fragrance.
    BLACKBIRD - Tar, seaweed, oud, pine, animalic leather, 30% powerhouse of a fragrance. This one has cult status.
    BOHEMIAN BLACK - A dark amber with complex interesting notes of buddhawood limoncello, choya, spring florals, and a little darkness with the amber base.
    OM - Orange blossom incense. Sublime.
    THE MAJ - combination of floral attars with mitt and vetiver for very cool Indian exotic scent.
    FORBIDDEN - absinthe, mushrooms and tuberose leather. Very original.

Has anyone had experience with this line. Initially they are excellent from samples.

Default Re: House of Matriarch perfumes made in Seattle.

There was a great thread last summer on the Achtung! line from this house, + Blackbird, but I recently looked for it and could not find it. Lost in the Huddler archive somewhere I suppose. Hopefully someone can dig it out.

Anyway, you are right on the money about Blackbird, and I am a member of the cult who think it terrific!

Adding by way of edit that BNer Chris Starker recently sent me samples of Devotion and Epiphany. I will make a point to try those this week and post impressions here.
    Last edited by james1051; 27th April 2014 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    Blackbird, and I am a member of the cult who think it terrific!.
    Big fan of Blackbird too - however, i think for this house you are better off starting with all other fragrances ahead of Blackbird. I tried Blackbird first b4 everything & none can stand up to it - possibly psychological but that's where it still stands now...

Blackbird and Alpha are my favorite fragrances from the line. SexMagic is pretty good as well. I wasn't really a huge fan of Bohemian Black, the florals were a little much for me.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 - ONLY 4 LEFT! (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

I really enjoy Blackbird>Forbidden>Alpha>Coco Blanc ~ while Devotion & Midnight are my favourites from the Achtung line.

Yeah, there's a massive thread around here somewhere from last year in which six or seven of us reviewed pretty much everything from the line including the (then) new Achtung! scents. It's still lost in Huddler-space, but most of the reviews survived. Here's what's left of the thread and commentary: http://www.basenotes.net/huddlerarchive/377764 (that's maybe a 1/4 of it)

I reviewed a few more recently as well here.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 - ONLY 4 LEFT! (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Yeah, there's a massive thread around here somewhere from last year in which six or seven of us reviewed pretty much everything from the line including the (then) new Achtung! scents. It's still lost in Huddler-space, but most of the reviews survived. Here's what's left of the thread and commentary: http://www.basenotes.net/huddlerarchive/377764 (that's maybe a 1/4 of it)
    Thanks for this link. I wish the rest of it was available. Very excellent reviews of Blackbird and The Maj. I really like the idea of OM, too but need to try it again.

I tested every scent in the Achtung series and liked most of them with a few standouts. My favorites from the Achtung were: Immortal and Unveiled. I thought Gateways, Devotion and Sex Magic were very fine as well. My biggest problem with Achtung is the name doesn't connect to the fragrances at all in my mind and this is a hang up I have about fragrances. The bottle designs and artwork also didn't connect to the fragrance designs either, imo. I guess that presentation and design of branding shouldn't matter that much, but to me it is important.

Tried Devotion, from the Achtung! series, tonight. Its a terrific incense. My notes:

Starts with a fresh, watery, green note, followed quickly by ash, wood, earth and a nut oil smell. The marriage of green to ash in this one is a dream. A leather note comes up in a few minutes, followed by a shift to very dry herbs. This dry herbal, leathery ash seems to be the perfume's main profile. Although a bit later, a tiny drop of vanilla comes up to take the sharp edge off the herbs. But it is by no means sweet!

Devotion wears fairly close, after the first few minutes. No idea yet on longevity, but the HOM website is predicting 24 hours, so I may chime in later on that subject.

Edit, fwiw, the bottle graphic is awesome.