Code of Conduct

Default New from Guerlain: Royal Extract

From harrods.com:
    "Created especially for Harrods, Royal Extract is an amber fruity eau de parfum that blends rose, jasmine and tuberose with heady peach, vanilla, iris and balsamic notes, making it a beautiful choice for the coming summer months."

Guerlain_royalextrait.jpg
    The name is a tribute to Guerlain founder Pierre-Francois-Pascal, who in 1828, the year the house was established created a perfume named "Royal Extract of Flowers".

125ml Eau de Parfum retails for £280.

Only a few impressions of the scent have appeared, comparing it to Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan and Shalimar. Not sure why Harrods is trying to sell it as a summer fragrance since is sounds more like a nice, classic Guerlain. Anyone planning to spring for a bottle?
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Default Re: New from Guerlain: Royal Extract

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    Anyone planning to spring for a bottle?

I will - if & when it comes to USA / Canada...

The notes make it seem to be very sweet. Will sample though.

The notes might be a little too sweet for me but perhaps would make a great gift for my wife or daughters.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

I wonder why sweet juice is so prevalent now. Is it easier to make? Does it sell better? The lack of a deep base is a common feature. Has it gone out of fashion or is it because there are no suitable chemicals to use (besides Aoud and incense...yawn)?

it lost me at fruity...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Blog Entries

Fascinating! Ambre Sultan and Shalimar? Wild comparisons there, I have to say. Not sure I'll ever sniff this, but sure hope to do so!

Sounds like an oriental floral + fruit kinda thang . . . maybe it's aimed in the Attrape Coeur direction? I love that and it's often described as an amber floral. The only 'fruit' mentioned is peach and we know what Guerlain can do with that one . . . I am remaining glass half full on this until I get a decent slug of the stuff under my belt Chugalug.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Send forth a nose…….

Is there anyone near Harrods who will go and give it a sniff for us?

Sorry to spoil the excitement but I just heard from a source who sampled it. That it is exactly the same as Guet-Apens/Attrape Coeur/Vol de Nuit Evasion/Limited Edition No 68 and now renamed as Royal Extract.

I loved Attrape Coeur. Poor thing had an identity crisis, changing names, masquerading as a Vol de Nuit flanker, hiding in a Mitsouko bottle. I hope they give her a proper identity this time -- and a stable platform! I'd love to try some.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by orchid74 View Post
    Sorry to spoil the excitement but I just heard from a source who sampled it. That it is exactly the same as Guet-Apens/Attrape Coeur/Vol de Nuit Evasion/Limited Edition No 68 and now renamed as Royal Extract.
    Oh, right 'Classic Coke'! I'll have some, please.

I got it right

Great!

It probably won't be exactly the same though, boys and girls - towards the end Attrape Coeur tried substituting tree moss for oakmoss (WHY? the regulatory limits are the same for both) so I imagine this one will be a little lighter in the bottom end . . . I have my back-ups already but I would suggest grabbing some while you can!
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 28th April 2014 at 04:19 PM.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by orchid74 View Post
    Damn! Well, thanks for reporting the "fraud" before I signed up for a split. Fooled again..
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Sigh. I saw this coming. But at least those of us who were not able to get Attrape Couer/Guet Apens and/or the rest of the limited incarnations now get a 2nd chance of owning it.

And I am willing to bet that the new Aqua Allegoria, Limon Verde is just a rebottled Guerlain Homme L'eau (who has been yanked out not too long ago.)
    seeking mitsouko 50ml's cap....desperately!!

Attrape Coeur is wonderful - glad it's been recycled, this happened with one of the Moscow exclusive releases so it's not a new approach.

Limon Verde is not the same as the L'Homme stuff, altho it's in the same 'geographic' area - good stuff if you like that sort of thing.
    ― Isaac Asimov

Impossible with with EU regulations the way they are, but if they made anything close to as good as Attrape Coeur it would be the best thing to happen in a long time. On my girlfriend even better than Mitsouko or L'Heure Bleue. She doesn't wear it enough but like all of the great Guerlains my world always feels bigger after smelling it.
    Last edited by pluran; 5th May 2014 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    ...like all of the great Guerlains my world always feels bigger after smelling it.
    Nice.

I just got a sample on the post from Harrods and I can confirm it is very close (if not the same) as Guet-Apens/Attrape Coeur. Beautiful but hugely overpriced in my opinion.

Well so sense seeking this one out for my wife then. Thanks for the update.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Great news for some but I'm still waiting for the first great Guerlain release, after Jean-Paul Guerlain's departure, EU regulations or not.