Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances which don't smell as their name deceiptively suggests

It happened three times to me in the past weeks: where's the cedar in Lutens' Cèdre? And the leather in Lutens' Cuir Mauresque (wearing it right now since this morning - been waiting for leather like for Santa Claus on August 15th)? And the patchouli in Monegal's Mon Patchouly? I didn't find them at all.

Name yours!

P.S. apologies for the typo in the title.
    Last edited by Colin Maillard; 28th April 2014 at 03:52 PM.
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | NICHE & VTG | Shiseido Basala, Boadicea Invigorating, SMN Tabacco Toscano, Signoricci, YSL M7 (AS), Gucci Envy for Men (AS), Ungaro II...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Default Re: Fragrances which don't smell as their name deceiptively suggests

Lait de Biscuit by Chabaud. I have tried this on my skin a few times already and I get neither a milk nor biscuit smell.
    Last edited by hednic; 28th April 2014 at 04:07 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Etat Libre d'Orange Fat ElectrIcian. And no, I have absolutely no interest in smelling one.

Xerjoff Richwood: Extremely rich patchouli coupled with light sandalwood accord and balsamic woods.

Thierry Mugler's Pure Leather. A better name would have been Pure Plastic.

Aventus....all I get is Hawaiian Pineapple not Royal pineapple...lol
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Atelier Mistral Patchouli -- really just a light aquatic with little substance.

Creed Original Vetiver - certainly not a vetiver-dominated scent... but wonderful regardless of the name.

75% of fragrances that use "Black" in the name...
    Polo Black
    Polo Double Black
    Kenneth Cole Black
    etc...
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

I don't detect much rose in Voleur De Roses, Patchouli is dominant.

2/3 of the "aoud" named fragrances out there...
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Dior Homme. still love it

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    75% of fragrances that use "Black" in the name...
    Polo Black
    Polo Double Black
    Kenneth Cole Black
    etc...
    What is "black" supposed to smell like?

Some houses use the term "noir" (black) when referring to heavy rose fragrances, some use it for their birch/tar compositions, some for rich leathers, some for oud based fragrances... It could really be anything. To me "noir" or "black" is more of a name, not an indication as to what the fragrance smells like - as these are really all over the map.

Basenotes Plus

Creed Original Santal - if there's sandalwood in there, I sure as heck can't detect it......
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Basenotes Plus

Yeah, I think the whole "Creed Original X" line is a joke on humanity. Santal doesn't have sandalwood, and Vetiver doesn't have vetiver (if they do, they are in such minuscule amounts that they are barely detectable).

It's odd that these are replacements for other Creed fragrances that actually used to have real sandalwood (Santal Imperial) and real vetiver in them (Vetiver, or what we call today Vetiver 1948). How is adding something "Original" many years later making it any more 'original' than the original fragrances these two replaced, especially since they really suck compared to their predecessors?

Le Labo is famous for giving names that usually don't correspond to the actual smell. (vetiver, rose, neroli, oud, patch, etc)

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Bond No. 9's New Haarlem. Very disappointing blind buy since I was hoping it smelled like the streets of Harlem

All joking aside, the two fragrances in my collection that come to mind are Musc Ravageur (I was expecting a musk dominant fragrance and got something else, fantastic nonetheless) and Spicebomb (the spice is there but it isn't really a "bomb" to me, quite nice though).

A&F Fierce (It should be called "Tame")
    Royal Oud (maybe Royal Woods would be a better name)

Basenotes Plus

Tom Ford's Cafe Rose, Mona di Orio - Rose Etoile de Hollande, Gin Fizz - Lubin.

Ambra di Venezia by Montgomery Taylor

Purple Patchouli.

Well, it does smell purplish

for swap/sale:

Grey Flannel- while still a good fragrance (in my opinion), it has nothing either grey but especially flannel-like to my nose (for some reason, I always associate flannel with a far more laundry-fresh note and the fragrant equivalent of grey-with something way more neutral and minrealic, nearly odorless).

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    What is "black" supposed to smell like?
    So far nothing I've smelled makes me picture pure black. Then I realised, black is the abscence of smell.

I don't really get light blue from Light Blue.

Prada Amber
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    Bond No. 9's New Haarlem. Very disappointing blind buy since I was hoping it smelled like the streets of Harlem
    Like piss, hot dog water and stale cigarette butts?

I can't think of anything right now other than:

Creed Royal Oud - Where's the Oud? (I love it when someone pops in and says "oh yes there's definitely oud in it, but it's from a particular forest in Indonesia where all of the oud harvested doesn't smell like oud")

Creed Original Vetivet - should be called "Royal Soap" or something.

Prada Amber PH - I smell no amber. Only bubblegum.

Pure Havane - should be 'pure honey'.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Le Labo is famous for giving names that usually don't correspond to the actual smell. (vetiver, rose, neroli, oud, patch, etc)
    Oh yeah, much of that line totally belies its own name!
    Also, I don't get a whole lot of amber from Ambre Narguilé or musk from Musc Ravageur… at least not enough to really consider their names representative of what the two fragrances are really like (both are wonderful, though).

Animale Animale, Cool Water, Opium, Jungle L'Elephant.

Silver Mountain Water
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

Both Polo Black and Double Black, neither smell "black" to me.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    It happened three times to me in the past weeks: where's the cedar in Lutens' Cèdre? And the leather in Lutens' Cuir Mauresque (wearing it right now since this morning - been waiting for leather like for Santa Claus on August 15th)? And the patchouli in Monegal's Mon Patchouly? I didn't find them at all.

Name yours!

P.S. apologies for the typo in the title.
    Agree on both Cedré & Cuir Mauresque. From Serge Lutens I also want to add Santal Blanc which does not smell much like woody sandalwood as well as Five O`Clock Au Gingembre doesn't have much tea or ginger

Lys Mediterranee by Frederic Malle doesn't smell like lily, it's about watery floral bouquet which leans toward the smell of tuberose

Jasmin 17 by Le Labo is more orange blossom than jasmine

Bois d'Iris by Van Cleef & Arpels is more incense than it is iris
    Last edited by jasonx; 14th May 2014 at 11:10 AM.

The 2012 version of Abercrombie Woods is Lavender and soap, not a hint of woods imo.

Creed- Royal Oud: Where's the Oud?
    MDCI-Invasion Barbare : Incredible fragrance, but there is nothing particularly "barbaric" about it.