Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance in Checked Baggage on the Plane - Amounts as of April 2014

Moving internationally and looking at options for shipping/moving my entire fragrance collection (~50 bottles 1.0-3.4 oz, total weight 45 lbs). I've read that checked baggage is fine, but in what amounts? Seems like 5+ liters of alcohol should be a no-go if the USPS won't put any mL on a plane for safety reasons.

So, I contacted both the airline and TSA directly. Here is what I was told: Personal care items, such as cologne and hairspray (and other semi-hazardous materials, including nail polish remover and rubbing alcohol), are allowed in checked baggage without prior approval, as long as there are less than 18 ounces in a single container and less than 70 ounces total, so about 20 3.4 ounce bottles of alchohol based fragrance should be OK. Also seems inline with what I read on various carrier's baggage restriction web pages.

Good to know. 2 liters is fine. Go figure.

Default Re: Fragrance in Checked Baggage on the Plane - Amounts as of April 2014

Although I have never had problems checking very large amounts of fragrances during my travels, this is very informative. Thanks.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fragrance in Checked Baggage on the Plane - Amounts as of April 2014

The whole thing about sending alcohol on airplanes is silly (IMO) I guess less than 18 ounces is a good rule but why can't we send bottles of perfume in the mail? Especially little samples that are carefully packed? Makes no sense whatever. I think it's an excuse to charge a big fee.

Thanks for the info. I never worried with checked baggage. Of course, I never got anywhere close to 2 l perfume ...

cacio

Good thing I usually travel with around 4 bottles on checked baggage. Now samples....that's another story.

Blog Entries

I was so worried about my decants I put them all in a Baggie on the trip out. On the way back I forgot but it didn't matter.

Blog Entries

Very informative! Thanks for that!

So I can only grab four 500ml Bees of Misouko Extrait to bring home when I hit Paris this summer? Sheesh . . . I'm going to Phuket instead then.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    The whole thing about sending alcohol on airplanes is silly (IMO) I guess less than 18 ounces is a good rule but why can't we send bottles of perfume in the mail? Especially little samples that are carefully packed? Makes no sense whatever. I think it's an excuse to charge a big fee.
    Commercial flights and general packages use the same planes- commercial flights. So no matter if you are a passenger on the flight or shipping a fragrance on the same flight the risk is the same. At altitude, the negative pressure in the hold will accelerate any leakage of the bottles. If enough alcohol leaks out and catches a spark, then you have a fire in the hold which is a really bad thing. The likelihood of it happening is fairly low, but the consequence could be tragic.

thanks
    rick

I wonder how many Chanel 5's have been the cause of a major air disaster....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Casts_by_fly View Post
    Commercial flights and general packages use the same planes- commercial flights. So no matter if you are a passenger on the flight or shipping a fragrance on the same flight the risk is the same. At altitude, the negative pressure in the hold will accelerate any leakage of the bottles. If enough alcohol leaks out and catches a spark, then you have a fire in the hold which is a really bad thing. The likelihood of it happening is fairly low, but the consequence could be tragic.

thanks
    rick

There's deodorant and hairspray galore on a passenger flight. They serve alcohol on the planes and people used to smoke everywhere on the plane only quitting recently due to health concerns and air quality issues. It just seems low risk at best.

In that case one must also consider Shalimar, and Acqua di Gio.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    I wonder how many Chanel 5's have been the cause of a major air disaster....

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    There's deodorant and hairspray galore on a passenger flight. They serve alcohol on the planes and people used to smoke everywhere on the plane only quitting recently due to health concerns and air quality issues. It just seems low risk at best.
    Deodorant isn't typically flamable and aerosols are restricted goods as well.

I agree it is low risk, but a risk easily avoided.

Rick

Basenotes Plus

Wondering how they decide on the magic total figure of 70 ounces or 18 ounces per container. Seems rather arbitrary to me. I kinda blame the shoe bomber for all this bullcrap.

Update: successfully made it abroad with 22 bottles of 1.7 or 3.4 oz colognes plus 100s of decants/samples of various sizes but mostly 10 ml or less, all in checked luggage. All were double bagged in zip-lock type bags. None leaked. This is about 1/3 my collection and the rest is coming by boat (hopefully no customs headaches there).

Quote Originally Posted by bmn View Post
    Update: successfully made it abroad with 22 bottles of 1.7 or 3.4 oz colognes plus 100s of decants/samples of various sizes but mostly 10 ml or less, all in checked luggage. All were double bagged in zip-lock type bags. None leaked. This is about 1/3 my collection and the rest is coming by boat (hopefully no customs headaches there).
    Glad you got them OK.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.