Code of Conduct

Default Have you ever met your fragrance heroes/heroines?

Today I got to meet Marc Chaya, cofounder of MFK at a master class at Neimans. He was absolutely charming and knowledgable. What a down to earth, cool guy to talk about fragrances with. He showed us the oils that went into Aqua Vitae and gave us a brief history of perfumes also. I felt kind of bad I didn't buy a bottle there on the spot but I'm poor! It was such an amazing experience. Any of you guys have stories about meeting the people who create our favorite hobby?

Default Re: Have you ever met your fragrance heroes/heroines?

At Esxence Milano last month I met Marc-Antoine Corticchiato (goosebumps, I'm such a huge fan!), Keiko Mecheri, Naomi Goodsir (she does not create the scents but still...), Olivier Durbano, Maria Candida Gentile, Majda Bekkali (not a fan at all, but she's nice and graceful - and fairly hot too), Mark Buxton (again, not a fan, but he is super out-going, chatty and funny), and a couple of other less known noses (like Antonio Alessandria, which is really nice and talented). I also spoke a little to a super smoking-hot Oriental beauty at Ys Uzac's booth, and I eventually found out she was his wife* (I know this doesn't count for the topic, but still, lol).

I appreciated to have the chance to be finally able to speak to noses I like and respect, and to tell this to them - you see they look happy, and they probably enjoy that more than dealing with buyers who treat your fragrances as "products" the same way they would do with cars or shampoos...

(* http://www.basenotes.net/attachment....7&d=1315768338 )
    Last edited by Colin Maillard; 29th April 2014 at 11:47 PM.
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | NICHE & VTG | Shiseido Basala, Boadicea Invigorating, SMN Tabacco Toscano, Signoricci, YSL M7 (AS), Gucci Envy for Men (AS), Ungaro II...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

A about twelve years ago I met Marc de La Morandiere in Paris at his boutique and about two years ago Frederic Malle at the New York Malle boutique who just happened to be there when I was making purchases.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Dependent

No and I hope I never do. IMO meeting people you admire, most times are huge disappointments
    Seasonal rotation:

Original Santal
    Apple Brandy
    Tuscan Leather
    Silver Mountain Water
    Lyric Man

Never met any of the perfumers, designers and/or technical, marketing, creative etc. staff behind my favorite fragrances, though I would like to.

However, even if it may be off-topic, do well-informed, civil, knowledgeable and reasonably communicative SAs also count? I know, most of us had their "ups and downs" with them and also, one might object that their work is nowhere near as exciting, creative, intellectual, complex than the one of a perfumer or other decision maker behind great fragrances (though even this may be open to debate and does not fully reflect my opinion). Still some of them are, along with further (more or less) unlikely choices like fragrance retailers (other than SA staff), columnists, bloggers a very particular kind of personal fragrance heroines/heroes, since I learned a lot from them and therefore they are the ones who made the discovery of many great fragrances possible to me.

Basenotes Plus

No but I do hope to meet Dominique Dubrana aka Salam of La Via del Profumo & chat about philosophy.

Basenotes Plus

Not yet, but I do interact with Andy Tauer on a weekly basis on facebook, and he is great! posts lots of drawings and paintings he does, as well as plenty of info and pictures on Tauer. He is a really likeable and involved perfumer who loves what he does
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Met Frederick Malle at the SF Barneys. Not that he's a hero of mine but charming and gracious nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by stargarden View Post
    Not yet, but I do interact with Andy Tauer on a weekly basis on facebook, and he is great! posts lots of drawings and paintings he does, as well as plenty of info and pictures on Tauer. He is a really likeable and involved perfumer who loves what he does
    Me too, he's just so great and friendly, I love how he looks genuinely interested in what other people think and feel - and also so generous when it comes to share information, insights, opinions.
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | NICHE & VTG | Shiseido Basala, Boadicea Invigorating, SMN Tabacco Toscano, Signoricci, YSL M7 (AS), Gucci Envy for Men (AS), Ungaro II...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Basenotes Plus

I had the incredible opportunity to very briefly meet and exchange a few words with Mona di Orio at a Sniffa in 2008. She was at Bergdorf Goodman for the launch of Amyitis. She could not have been lovelier or more gracious.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

I daydream about sitting next to Giacobetti or Duchaufour on a plane or something, does that count?
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads