Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default buying samples of expensive fragrances seems cheaper. Downsides?

Hello. I was looking around and I noticed that you can buy bulk samples of things like aventus and it seems to be cheaper than buying a bottle especially if you are buying the 1 ounce size. Is there any negative to buying samples besides not having the bottle? Just wondering why someone would buy a 1 ounce bottle for over $100 when you can get 12 vials for $40.

Default Re: buying samples of expensive fragrances seems cheaper. Downsides?

If you trust the seller then sure, why not? And if you like to dab it on you won't even have to spend a few dollars on an atomizer!

Basenotes Junkie

the price for a sample (per mL) will be higher than the price to buy a bottle. If you see otherwise, be wary of the samples.

Samples are great for sampling a fragrance. You get a couple wears from a sample and know whether you like it or not. If not, then you're only out a couple bucks. The downside is that you only get a couple wears out of it. If you really like it, then you'll need to buy a bottle to wear it again.

Splits and decants can be another option which means you put out less cash but get enough wearings. For BN splits you'll pay about the same per mL as a large retail bottle (which is cheaper than a small retail bottle per mL) so is quite cost effective if you are looking at expensive fragrances.

rick

Perfectly good, I still do it with many fragrances I quite like but not that much to waste money for an entire bottle.
    My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Jil Sander - Man
    Comme des Garçons - Black
    Naomi Goodsir - Bois d'ascèse
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Quote Originally Posted by Casts_by_fly View Post
    The downside is that you only get a couple wears out of it. If you really like it, then you'll need to buy a bottle to wear it again.
    This
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Whatever is best for you and your wallet!

Quote Originally Posted by Casts_by_fly View Post
    The downside is that you only get a couple wears out of it. If you really like it, then you'll need to buy a bottle to wear it again.
    Partially disagree. There's a "halfway" between the two options. Unless you love the scent and plan to wear it daily, a bunch of 2/3 ml samples can last you quite a decent time (on a rotation with your other fragrances) and allow you to wear and enjoy the scent several times before eventually buying a bottle. Withouth spending +100 EUR. Perhaps they are more costly per ml, but that does not really matter - what matters the most is the actual amount of money that comes out of your wallet, compared to what you can afford...
    My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Jil Sander - Man
    Comme des Garçons - Black
    Naomi Goodsir - Bois d'ascèse
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Basenotes Plus

Lets take my example Aventus. The samples I recieved are 2.5 ml per sample card. Now from what I have heard samples are usually never faked. There simply isnt enough money in it to make it worth while. 10 vials can run you as low as $28 shipped. Thats almost an ounce of aventus for $30. Now the only thing I can see as a downside is if people are taking these samples and diluting them or decanting the real stuff and tossing Fresco in there. But in all honesty isnt there just as much risk with splits? It would seem in both situations a certain amount of trust needs to be had. I guess what I was wondering was if samples of things like creed differ from the actual product for sale in any way as it seems buying bulk vials would be much more cost effective. And it would seem that the Aventus samples are indeed 2.5 ml which is pretty generous IMHO

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    Perhaps they are more costly per ml, but that does not really matter - what matters the most is the actual amount of money that comes out of your wallet, compared to what you can afford...
    Exactly. Consider the opportunity cost for every dollar spent. The cost per ml argument only becomes relevant at the point you finish the bottle, which could possibly take years when you have many fragrances on rotation. My sample collection alone is enough to keep me smelling good for a couple of years, lol. But if you can afford a full bottle, go for it.

Basenotes Junkie

Partially disagree. There's a "halfway" between the two options. Unless you love the scent and plan to wear it daily, a bunch of 2/3 ml samples can last you quite a decent time (on a rotation with your other fragrances) and allow you to wear and enjoy the scent several times before eventually buying a bottle. Withouth spending +100 EUR. Perhaps they are more costly per ml, but that does not really matter - what matters the most is the actual amount of money that comes out of your wallet, compared to what you can afford...
    For me, it takes 2-3 times wearing a fragrance to know if I like it, love it, or am indifferent. I typically like everything on the first spray as it is new and different. For a small sample, that means I'll get 2-4 more wearings after the initial period. Yes with a bunch of fragrances in rotation it spreads it out over time, however if I really like it I want to wear it more often. Case in point- I received a mono d' orio Cuir sample in an order from First in Fragrance. I love the fragrance. I like it on the first wear, loved it on the second, and have since worn it 3, maybe 4 times since. I have 1 more wear in the bottle because I am loathe to use it up until I know I have more on the way. For me, 5-10 ml is the right size for a fragrance I really like and would wear once every or every other week. Fragrances that I wear weekly regularly, I prefer a 50 ml bottle. I have a couple Tauer, TF, and some others that I own 50 ml bottles for. For after the gym or bulk kinda scents, I have a couple 100ml bottles. These are typically inexpensive fragrances.

thanks
    rick

I would worry about the samples going bad from improper storage considering you would but so many of them.

EXACTLY,I buy HIGH END samples a lot,can't justify spending a whole bunch of money and I really don't LOVE it,just my opinion.

I'm a generous sprayer and i have found that on the longer run, getting a full bottle is always the better option for me.
    I only buy 2 ml spray samples to discover scents and see if they are bottle worthy to add to my collection.

Now of course there are exceptions with my practice (Key word : Beast). I can only see myself substituting a full bottle purchase with a 8 -15 ml decant if the scent is a potent longevity/projection beast and therefore less sprays are needed for a full wearing. Examples: Norma kamali Incense, Tobacco Vanille etc...

Having said that, i fully respect and acknowledge the solution of buying decants instead of full bottle.

Tip: I always notice that 8ml decants tend to be the most economical per price/ml compared to the other available options (15 ml, 30 ml ) that are offered on samples websites.
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 10th May 2014 at 12:17 PM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

I love doing this if I find a great deal. What I like about it, is that I can use them for gifts. I got a huge lot of Opium samples recently; with perfect timing since my 3.4 ounce bottle had run out, and I was going to go out and replace it, but found a huge sample lot online. I use them in thank you notes, as little gifts for friends, family, neighbors, and my kids teachers. And still have plenty to keep for myself.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie1980 View Post
    I love doing this if I find a great deal. What I like about it, is that I can use them for gifts. I got a huge lot of Opium samples recently; with perfect timing since my 3.4 ounce bottle had run out, and I was going to go out and replace it, but found a huge sample lot online. I use them in thank you notes, as little gifts for friends, family, neighbors, and my kids teachers. And still have plenty to keep for myself.

Thats awesome. Still I cant help but think of the awkward conversations around your neighborhood when those not in the know start discussing that someone in the community is handing out samples of opium....