Code of Conduct

Default Rhodinol 70 - what is max use

I think I finally found that lemony note, bright metallic, in Rhodinol 70, but I cannot find the max useage or percentage anywhere. Got it from PA but it just says see IFRA regs, which is a document I seem to be having difficulty using search feature on. I also tried to find it here.

I've got six ACs that I'm evaluating for that note, kinda lemongrassy, citrusy, and some of the others can be used at higher percentages, Geraniol 95 (up to 30%), etc. but I don't want to go testing Rhodinol on myself even at a dilution that isn't safe, or worse include it at an unsafe level.

If anyone knows what that number might be, could you tell me. I did a Google search as well, found mfrs and tried to find that info and could not. Right now I'm feeling like a bad researcher, but I've spent quite a bit of time actually trying to find that bit of info to no avail.

Default Re: Rhodinol 70 - what is max use

The Rhodinol (Pure ex Geranium Bourbon) that I received from Vigon can be used up to 13.3% of the finished product (IFRA Category 4), but is also noted to cause "sensitization".
    Did you search The Good Scents Company? Look under "Safety In Use"
    http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/data/rw1010451.html

Thank you, Shawnee, Don't know why I didn't see that, maybe I only looked under "safety." Yes, I did try to find it there, but I'm pretty new at the ins and outs of it, so I appreciate your help.

I learned something new, it depends on what category you are talking about, also, so thank you for pointing that out as well. Have to study more ; ) .

Glad I could help!
    I find the Good Scents website a bit cumbersome myself, but it's such a plethora of information that I forge on

Yes, true. I also read a lot here too. I've mostly worked with essential oils and naturals, with little experience with ACs until very recently delving into that area and learning more, enjoying every minute of it. It's a blast!

So you're looking for a lemongrass type scent? I can say that I accidentally made a lemongrass type accord with a blend of Citral, Geraniol, Methyl Pamplemousse, Galbanum and Aldehyde C-12 MNA. At least that is what I remember...I'm at work now so I don't have my notes in front of me. I'll have a look tonight and let you know what else was involved.

*I remembered two more things...there was also Geranyl Acetate and Linalyl Acetate.*
    Last edited by saponier; 1st May 2014 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Remembered things

Got some galbanum and was a little intimidated. It's so powerful. It's all about the dilution, I guess, but I haven't done any experiments yet.

Right now I'm immersed in the lemon, lemony, lemongrass thing. I call it the "sparkle" - and while lemongrass natural is nice, you know all those natural citrus notes aren't very long-lasting, which is disappointing cos' I love them so much and want them to last longer. I haven't got any methyl pamplemousse, but going on my next list, cos' I'm crazy for grapefruit scents too. Thanks, Saponier!

No problem. When I'm home I'll find the exact formulation for you. Galbanum is a beast. It can easily ruin a blend. Not unlike many other materials--methyl pamplemousse included!

Sorry! I posted this from my partners account by accident.