Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Today I Bought— May 2014

I went ahead and purchased, at more money than I should have parted with, a second bottle of Zahd. I find I want that to be my signature. I just adore every little bit of it AND my hubby loves it too, which is kind of a big deal as he generally isn't too interested.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    Congratulations on the vintage Cuir de Russie, it's gorgeous.

Thanks. I hope it was worth it. A small bottle only 1/2 full. But I'm dying to try the vintage stuff!

Hopefully you didn't have to take out a second mortgage or a lean on the house lol.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I went ahead and purchased, at more money than I should have parted with, a second bottle of Zahd. I find I want that to be my signature. I just adore every little bit of it AND my hubby loves it too, which is kind of a big deal as he generally isn't too interested.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

No second mortgage, not to worry

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

Anybody ever saw that bottle of 24 Faubourg before?

And, of course, DK Men

Quote Originally Posted by PaveLL View Post
    Anybody ever saw that bottle of 24 Faubourg before?

And, of course, DK Men
    Congrats

That Hermes bottle looks like a (nicer) version of the subsequent Eau des Merveiiles bottles.

Thanks, lpp!

On the bottom of the bottle it says that is a refill bottle, but to refill what? I know that 24 Faubourg comes in a "simple", non-refillable bottle. The code starts with V so it is from 1997. It smells very good! I start to think that fragrances that are made for women are better than those made for men.

Basenotes Plus

Cello, the enabler

Ah, Jon! That is a good one! And I am sure you saw my decant order of Tom of Finland and de Bachmakov. You made me do it, so who is the enabler after all!!!

You smell great!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post

Jon, enjoy every second of the Knightsbridge! Isn't it lovely?

On Thursday I ordered, and *yesterday* (from across the continental US!) I received the Luckyscent May sample pack:

Liaison de Parfum: Resist Me, I Dare You, No Matter What, Stay with Me
    Oriza L. Legrand: Horizon, Chypre Mousse, Relique d’Amour, Reve d’Ossian, Muguet Fleuri, Jardins d’Armide, Deja la Printemps, Foin Fraichment Coupe, Oeillet Louis XV
    Amouage: OPUS VIII

Looking very much forward to everything!
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post
    Best thing I've tried in ages . Remembered it was a favourite of yours - would love to send you a bottle but the ludicrous restrictions here in the UK render it impossible .
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 17th May 2014 at 07:07 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Ah, Jon! That is a good one! And I am sure you saw my decant order of Tom of Finland and de Bachmakov. You made me do it, so who is the enabler after all!!!

You smell great!!!!

Takes one to know one.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 17th May 2014 at 07:17 PM.

I just found a Vintage Caron Eau de Caron Splash for $18, still in the original box at an Antiques Mall. Score!

And a Tabu mini, probably 1/2 oz.

Both smell great!

Blog Entries

Here is the 7.5ml Cuir de Russie extrait I paid $150 for it. It is sealed but has evaporated. I plan to add some grain alcohol to it after testing. Fingers crossed. This better be good!

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post

Here is the 7.5ml Cuir de Russie extrait I paid $150 for it. It is sealed but has evaporated. I plan to add some grain alcohol to it after testing. Fingers crossed. This better be good!
    The colour looks good Kumquat. I pulled out my vintage parfum bottles to compare. It really is quite a different beast from the modern. I'll have all appendages crossed that yours has aged well.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Best thing I've tried in ages . Remembered it was a favourite of yours - would love to send you a bottle but the ludicrous restrictions here in the UK render it impossible .
    Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post

On Thursday I ordered, and *yesterday* (from across the continental US!) I received the Luckyscent May sample pack:

Liaison de Parfum: Resist Me, I Dare You, No Matter What, Stay with Me
    Oriza L. Legrand: Horizon, Chypre Mousse, Relique d’Amour, Reve d’Ossian, Muguet Fleuri, Jardins d’Armide, Deja la Printemps, Foin Fraichment Coupe, Oeillet Louis XV
    Amouage: OPUS VIII

Looking very much forward to everything!
    ComDiva and Jon another enabler joining in here and one who will be in the UK and US in June. I will happily mule perfumes between the two countries and post when I get to the US. I'll also be in Paris...
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    ComDiva and Jon another enabler joining in here and one who will be in the UK and US in June. I will happily mule perfumes between the two countries and post when I get to the US. I'll also be in Paris...
    Give me a shout if you hit the London area - your fragrant tour guide awaits

Blog Entries

The vintage CDR is smooth and yummy. Sadly, not terribly great silage. Maybe because I put such a small drop on. Will use a bit more to test soon. I just wish it was a bigger bottle. This is such a tease.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    The vintage CDR is smooth and yummy. Sadly, not terribly great silage. Maybe because I put such a small drop on. Will use a bit more to test soon. I just wish it was a bigger bottle. This is such a tease.
    I find the same in regard to sillage. It does bloom on skin over the course of the development and the longevity is pretty good. The leather is entirely yummy.

Great find, lpp! Use it in good health!

Now I have to get some Mitsouko myself (or any vintage Guerlain)

Thanks, PaveLL - it was a minor ambition to sniff this again

Congrats, lpp! I hope it was everything you remembered it to be.

This little beauty came in the mail today, free with Amazon points!2014-05-19 16.27.51.jpg I'm curious now about Imperiale and Eau de Guerlain.

O'Driu Lalfeo Oro

Quote Originally Posted by rowan- View Post
    O'Driu Lalfeo Oro

Snap! - have you opened it yet, rowan?

Looking forward to trying the sample of Splash! as well...
    IMG_2090.jpg IMG_2091.jpg
    Last edited by lpp; 22nd May 2014 at 12:56 PM.

lpp, yes I have - finally! It's gorgeous. It's got the hallmarks of a classic O'Driu and the wearability of the newer ones. Have you opened yours yet?

Is that sample Splash or Splash 2? I like the first Splash as well, but I'm hoping you got 2 - it really reminds me of Eva Kant.

It's Splash! 2, rowan - citric to start, vanilla & herbs too - no noticeable chicken (although I probably wouldn't recognise it if there were)...

Just winding down a bit before opening mine...there's still some stuff do do first but I'm dying to try it out!

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    no noticeable chicken (although I probably wouldn't recognise it if there were)...
    It's prolly cheeseburger... though O'Driu must have some funny smelling cheeseburgers where they are!

Blog Entries

Serge Lutens Laine de Verre, 100 ml.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Another Gucci Accenti backup
    Fragrance Omnivore

Just Blind bought Paco Rabbane's Ultraviolet and La Nuit edt . Crossing fingers that they work for me!
    Fragrance Omnivore

Quote Originally Posted by bookwyrmsmith View Post
    Just Blind bought Paco Rabbane's Ultraviolet and La Nuit edt . Crossing fingers that they work for me!
    I blind-bought La Nuit a couple months back and really enjoy it. I was surprised to get such a nice fragrance for so little money and from Paco Rabanne, a name I associate with a grabby man I dated once in the late '80s.

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by rowan- View Post
    It's prolly cheeseburger... though O'Driu must have some funny smelling cheeseburgers where they are!

For a total of $11 including two very pretty perfume bottles, I picked up these at a random yard sale I stopped at. I rarely go to yard sales, but my Grandson Liam is coming and I thought yard sales might be a good place to find some things. I was ecstatic to find this whole box of goodies for $8, and the other items for a little more.

Yard sale 1.jpg

Yard sale 1 L.jpg

Yard sale 1 R.jpg

Yard sale 1 mystery.jpg

This last one I can't identify. I thought it might be something from Coty, but it's not Wild Musk (though I thought it might be, but it's not musky at all.) If anyone can identify it, I'd be grateful.

Lots of vintage Chypres, so I guess I'm going to be going on a learning event.

Oh, and I almost forgot about this one (have it set aside as I've been trying, unsuccessfully to open the silly thing!)

Yard Sale Arpege.jpg

Great deal. I love Aromatics elixir and Knowing (?). Have been wanting to try Ysatis. Try refrigerating the Arpege bottle for a few hours. Otherwise keep twisting gently for a min or so, then try again tomorrow. Use a napkin-if the cap breaks, you can cut yourself (though the cap is not glass, I believe. I cut myself with an Arpege parfum, whose cap is glass).

cacio

I went through my bag of tricks, from freezer, to oil, to alcohol. The thing that finally worked was running it under hot water! It finally gave way! Yay!

Congrats on the Haul Danieq!
    Fragrance Omnivore

Basenotes Plus

Hearty congratulations, Danieq - great haul

What year this one might be from?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Danieq what at haul! I'm thrilled that they found a good home with you. Enjoy.

Blog Entries

That is a gorgeous bottle Kumquat! Congrats! I haven't fallen enough in love with any of her scents to make a purchase, but they sure are pretty!

queen of the universe

Arrived this week: American Rust from our own rynegne's Madhat Perfumes. The driest tobacco scent yet. I like to use it to darken a floral, notable Tea Rose or DK Essence Jasmine.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Plus

While on holidays in Ljubljana, I bought a 10ml tube of Lush's Breath of God perfume. And this morning, I paid for a 7.5ml of vintage Chanel No. 19 extrait and 14mls of vintage Chanel No. 5 extrait (both late seventies, early eighties according to the seller).

Blog Entries

That is a gorgeous bottle Kumquat! Congrats! I haven't fallen enough in love with any of her scents to make a purchase, but they sure are pretty!
    Thanks, Danieq! Yes the juice is great, too. This Vetiver is very smooth and creamy.

Parfum1's sale was too good to pass up so I bought Parfums de Nicolai Balle de Match and Amber Oud. Balle de Match has been renamed L'eau de Sport for some reason, but the bottles at Parfum1 are still labeled BdM. It's a lovely blended citrus which will get a lot of wear when temps heat up. Amber Oud was a blind buy but since I like both amber and oud and the scent got good reviews, I went for it. I worked hard this weekend and needed a reward!

Ordered Illuminum Rose Oud today. Something I've been wanting for quite awhile. Lucky Scent no longer has it and the Illuminum Lounge in Henri Bendel's in NYC is closing in 6 weeks. Doubt I would be able to go to London to get it so got two of the small bottles. The person that helped me said they may move to Saks Fifth Avenue. We'll see.

Xscent I am absolutely drooling at the picture of your April haul. Well done! Wish it had been me.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Quote Originally Posted by BetsyMeszaros View Post
    Ordered Illuminum Rose Oud today. Something I've been wanting for quite awhile. Lucky Scent no longer has it and the Illuminum Lounge in Henri Bendel's in NYC is closing in 6 weeks. Doubt I would be able to go to London to get it so got two of the small bottles. The person that helped me said they may move to Saks Fifth Avenue. We'll see.

Xscent I am absolutely drooling at the picture of your April haul. Well done! Wish it had been me.

Thanks Betsy, I haven’t owned up to the rest of May’s purchases yet. Well done on your score. Doesn’t feel like such a victory when you manage snag a bottle you've been wanting for awhile.

I'm feeling very excited ...and a bit shaky now I just ordered my first SL belljar,which is more precisely Muscs koublai khan. I really adore the furry and skanky smell ,which settles to a honeyed rose on me Can't wait to get it!

CHANEL NO 5 EDT

Now to find out its age (does anyone know?). I nabbed this for a mere $16 shipped! Happy girl!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by danieq; 27th May 2014 at 09:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ineespenes View Post
    I'm feeling very excited ...and a bit shaky now I just ordered my first SL belljar,which is more precisely Muscs koublai khan. I really adore the furry and skanky smell ,which settles to a honeyed rose on me Can't wait to get it!
    Congratulations. The first of many. One is never enough!

Congrats ineespenes! I have sampled that one and keep intending to sample further as I tend to love me some animal filth! Haven't gotten around to it though!

Blog Entries

I just ordered a bottle of Hermes- Bel Ami! A newly discovered old sample convinced me that this creamy leather had to be mine.

Congrats Kumquat! I've been reading about this one alot lately. I think I'll have to give it a try. I'm a leather fan!

CHANEL NO 5 EDT
    Now to find out its age (does anyone know?). I nabbed this for a mere $16 shipped! Happy girl!
    Danieq,
    My guess is that it's from the 90s. It would help to see the box (or a lot number), but based on the bottle design alone, I'm saying 90s.
    The bottles of the previous design had small stickers on the front, like this:
    edt_1.jpg

The new bottles (like the one you bought) were introduced around '89 or '90, the best I can tell. Then I think there was one more design introduced sometime before the switch to the current one. Can anyone back me up on that?
    Last edited by RoRo; 29th May 2014 at 02:11 AM.

Thanks Roro. It has no sticker, box or batch number unfortunately. If it's from that late, then I suppose it could be a fake. It's got the glass imprinted on the bottom with the word Chanel and the number 18. That is the only markings other than what is on the front.

Thanks Roro. It has no sticker, box or batch number unfortunately. If it's from that late, then I suppose it could be a fake. It's got the glass imprinted on the bottom with the word Chanel and the number 18. That is the only markings other than what is on the front.
    Oh no, I very much doubt it's a fake. Your bottle looks just like the other 100ml bottles of No.5 and No.19 EDT I have seen from that same era.

Shelter Island by Bond No.9

Today I bought a 15 ml travel spray of 24, Faubourg edp. It's in the drydown now and the wood and vanilla are lovely.