Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oud Game

Dependent

Default Re: The Oud Game

Chopard Oud Malaki. I think only hednic has ever mentioned it. I blind bought a bottle 2-3 weeks ago.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently wearing: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Chopard Oud Malaki. I think only hednic has ever mentioned it. I blind bought a bottle 2-3 weeks ago.

I always think of Mercedes when I see that bottle. Their bottles have the same style.
    Last edited by RS2AM; 13th June 2014 at 01:20 AM.
    Currently wearing: Starwalker by Montblanc

Dependent

The Oud Malaki bottle could be used as a weapon. Heavy duty, extremely overbuilt for its purpose. Love it! :-)

As far as the fragrance itself - it was actually a nice surprise (blind buy, remember?). I'd describe it as East-meets-West kind of oud fragrance - it's got definitively strong oud tones in it (eastern influence), but it's tamed slightly by tobacco and spices (the western influence). There's a bit of ambergris in there as well, and something that smells.... hard to describe.... dusty? Not powdery, just dusty - in an interesting and good way, reminiscent of high-end, upscale boutiques, Rodeo Drive, etc. Overall it's a very nice woody/spicy/oriental fragrance, pretty long lasting, and if you are into ouds - strongly recommended to at least give it a try. VERY wearable composition, unlike some other oud-heavy fragrances that are just too much, or too far out there. I'd give it 8-8.5/10 points, maybe 9/10 because the bottle really is fantastic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Oudy Woody by Surrati.
    That one is pretty good , though it comes in a crappy bottle and the topnotes are well lol. but it really does turn into a really leathery fragrance on my skin and its great in the summer. Its only 35 dollars lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight99 View Post
    Thanks people. I like this game. I am definitely going to sample Terry de Gunzburg - Terryfic Oud.

My contribution is one that I also have in line to get at sample of, so I don’t know if it is any good yet. Oud by Reminiscence.

This one is quite similar to Montale's Aoud Musk.

Roads - Haramattan

Absolutely beautiful. It smells like a slightly lighter version of Montale Dark Aoud. Despite looking at the notes now on fragrantica, its really all about the beautiful Oud and Sandalwood. Its got outstanding performance as well.

I wasn't able to get a bottle when she did the exhibition at Barney's, but they had it in stock when i went a few days ago. Excellent stuff! The rest of the line is very nice as well, especially neon!

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/R...tan-24693.html
    Currently wearing: Vétiver by Christian Dior

8-JOVAN-Oud-2.jpg

Jovan Intense Oud. It is not really "intense" but it is actually good. I couldn't help but to take a risk on this bottle at under $10 including free shipping. Not a real risk but for that price you should try it.

Dependent

Zegna Indonesian Oud. Pretty straightforward and not terribly innovative oud creation, but it's masterfully composed with great ingredients.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seems odd is not the dominant note in most of what's been posted.

Dependent

Default The Oud Game

Last edited by remik; 15th May 2014 at 08:42 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by NenMaster View Post
    Seems odd is not the dominant note in most of what's been posted.

Roberto Cavalli Tiger Oud by Roberto Cavalli is a Oriental Floral fragrance for women and men. This is a new fragrance. Roberto Cavalli Tiger Oud was launched in 2013. The fragrance features agarwood (oud) and rose.

For thousands of years the male idol has fascinated us with the same attributes: strength, supremacy and natural masculinity. Testosterone is not merely the hormone that gives men these characteristics; „Testostérone“ is also the name of the probably most masculine perfume ever created. An essence of all that’s male, with odours of bodily strength, the vapour of still-hot tar, the supremacy of costly agarwood, powerful medical spices and the animal sensuality of rare patchouli crystals. “Testosté- rone” is an absolutely innovative perfume experience: dry, erotic and rugged, yet at the same time unexpectedly elegant. Testosterone was launched in 2012.

Oudh Noir by Angela Flanders is a Oriental Woody fragrance for women and men. Oudh Noir was launched in 2007. Top notes are agarwood (oud) and spicy notes; middle notes are guaiac wood, cedar and juniper; base notes are patchouli and vetiver.

...but I guess technically, I still don't know if oud is the dominate note.
    Last edited by RS2AM; 30th May 2014 at 01:45 PM.

Oops. Didn't mean to post.

Oud Sumptuous by Krigler is an Oriental Woody fragrance for women and men. Oud Sumptuous was launched in 2013. Top notes are Laotian agarwood (oud), Vietnamese benzoin and Mongolian coriander; middle notes are vanilla, sandalwood, Moroccan labdanum and lavender; base notes are papyrus, cinnamon, amber and cedar.

Tesori d'Oriente Royal Oud dello Yemen- unexpectedly good oud cheapie, if a gourmand, but only moderately sweet oud with undertones of fudge, burnt sugar, nuttiness, certain exotic spices and woods ever existed, this would be one of the safest bet (in theory, these notes sound rather unbalanced and not the most appropriate, likely nor harmonious to be associated, but once actually smelled, the mix is a quite well-blended, seamless, also smooth).

Everytime I see a fragrance has oud, I instantly run as far way as possible. it's a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by herbert7890 View Post
    Everytime I see a fragrance has oud, I instantly run as far way as possible. it's a joke.
    Are you saying every fragrance with oud is a joke or that you running away from oud fragrances is a joke?

Clearly you have no idea how to participate in this thread.
    "I am more afraid of an army of 100 Sheep led by a Lion than an army of 100 Lions led by a Sheep."

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Clearly you have no idea how to participate in this thread.
    Let me clarify it for you. I have NO INTENT to participate in the game. I was just expressing my opinion on the oud trend in general (free speech?)

Everytime I see oud listed as a note I am at least 3 times more interested. I am a joke.
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

Let me clarify it for you. I have NO INTENT to participate in the game. I was just expressing my opinion on the oud trend in general (free speech?)
    Obviously you have no manners. It is extremely bad form to add disruptive comments like that in a thread like this. If you have nothing meaningful to contribute, then don’t comment. You are free to start your own "Why I hate Oud" thread if you so wish (your free speech).

Personally I think Oud is the best thing that has happened to the western fragrance world in decades. What is interesting is who got it right and who got it wrong, because there are a lot of fragrances with the Oud in the name that does not live up to its promise.

Ok, it's not "obscure", but I figured I would make my first contribution to this thread with my absolute favorite one:

Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Congratulations for being the Debbie downer of the day then, no clarification needed. You still don't get it.
    "I am more afraid of an army of 100 Sheep led by a Lion than an army of 100 Lions led by a Sheep."

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Oud Flamboyant by Givenchy

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I still haven't tried Oud Taiga, I hear it's rather restrained...so that kept me from making a blind buy at that price point.

Personally, I like both real and synthetic ouds.

I'll have to say, not a lot of people have tried my own MadHat NorOud as it was limited run. It was a different take on oud, a fruity undertone and blast of hops carried the oud forward. I'm really liking the Bouya Oud I used on my most recent creation...a musky...oud...citrus fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I still haven't tried Oud Taiga, I hear it's rather restrained...so that kept me from making a blind buy at that price point.

Personally, I like both real and synthetic ouds.

I'll have to say, not a lot of people have tried my own MadHat NorOud as it was limited run. It was a different take on oud, a fruity undertone and blast of hops carried the oud forward. I'm really liking the Bouya Oud I used on my most recent creation...a musky...oud...citrus fragrance.
    These?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney_Falco View Post
    Judging by the lack of responses in the thread I created earlier tonight, I'd say Oud Save the King is a surefire candidate. Been wearing the sample I got a few days ago, liking it a lot. Next to Oud Wood it's probably my favorite oud, it's very wearable but also very prominent and refined and not at all ordinary. Awesome ad campagin too!

Good call on these. I tried them last week, they were both pretty nice. Need to get my hands on full samples and explore them further.
    Currently wearing: Tous Man Sport by Tous

Have a generous sample of this one from a fellow basenoter:

Dehr Syed Junaid Alam for Men

Very nice and long lasting patchouli / oud combination.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne