Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Beard or no?

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Default Re: Beard or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    No- can't wait for the hipster trend to be over.
    Ha ha.
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

If the face can grow a thick beard, then "yes." If the beard is patchy, then "no."
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Beard! Yes!

I had one for a while.

It looked great, but itched like crazy, and also seemed to pull at my face all the time even though I combed it out every day.

I pretty much hated every minute of the three months I had it. I basically put up with it because I thought "well, I have come this far"...

The relief when I got rid of it was immense.

But it did look good.
    Last edited by Q. R. Crumm; 15th December 2014 at 01:51 PM.
    "I have to return some videotapes"

Have been clean shaven all my life too, makes me look a lot younger than I am but recently been contemplating growing a beard, would keep me warm over the winter too. Thing is the hair doesn't grow thick enough to pull off the look, and I get more growth on the chin and upper moustache area than the cheeks so it'd look a bit uneven.

on that point, all I can say is this, be honest with yourself about if you can actually grow a beard or not. I see too many young guys who want to jump the trend and really just don't have enough hair for it. Hopefully nobody takes offense here, but it's often asian guys and sometimes Latino guys and the spread of hair is just too thin and fine so they're patchy and thin and it just looks ratty. If you've got a full thick beard, keep it trimmed around the edges so you don't look like you're just lazy and wash+condition+brush.
    Tom Ford Splits:Noir de Noir, Neroli Portofino, Lavender Palm, Plum Japonais, Champacca Absolute, Tobacco Vanille ONE LEFT: Italian Cypress, Patchouli Absolu, Amber Absolute, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

My father shaves because his beard isn't very full. I wish he wouldn't. He take blood thinners and his hands shake - not a good combination.
    Currently wearing: The Wendol by Blackbird

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

If you're a dude, sure. Especially if it complements your looks.

If you're a woman, hell NO!

it's crazy how popular beards have become, I went to a niners game earlier this year and it was just all men with beards. I see so many hipsters with beards in SF I now try to shave every other day just to stand out from the crowd lol

Beard or no? Say yes to the beard

Yes for me. I've been clean shaven my entire life, and it was a nice change of pace. I enjoy the way it looks and feels on me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poohdini View Post
    it's crazy how popular beards have become, I went to a niners game earlier this year and it was just all men with beards. I see so many hipsters with beards in SF I now try to shave every other day just to stand out from the crowd lol
    I've always wondered about the trends regarding moustaches and beards, they often seem like a rebellious reaction to the previous generation.

I really love to change (My hair and facial hair) so sometimes I'm clean shaven, sometimes a full (trimmed) beard, sometimes a trimmed mustache + soul patch and the rest with a couple of day beard... But my "most used" facial hair style is a couple of day beard / stubble. It's what I prefer. And "lucky me" where I live "couple of day beards / stubbles " is by far the most popular look for a man in women's opinions! Every survey about it it's always 8-9 out of 10 who love it.

The only type I can really not stand is you know the trimmed very thin beard... That looks so not masculine, and really not good, to me.
    ¤¤ Let's create another Creed thread! ¤¤
    ¤¤ Everytime you talk about batches or reformulations, "God" kills a child. Please think of the children.
    http://www.applepiebrigade.org/wp-co...09/sad-kid.jpg ¤¤

It's depend on the face postures, some guys look more attractive with beard than shaven guy.

Basenotes Member

It's to much on my husbands goatee let alone a beard. Feels like I'm kissing a brilo pad lol.

I've had a full beard for the last eight years. Can't imagine being without it. Since I have pretty much no hair left up top (and keep it buzzed down), it's a nice way to compensate... and avoid looking like a boiled egg.
    For swap/sale: Fougère Royale, AdP Colonia Club, Tauer Lonesome Rider, MDCI Cuir Garamante, vintage Tiffany for Men, Floris Mahon Leather, Creed Spice & Wood, Roja Dove Amber Aoud Crystal, 1 Million Intense, Montale Cuir D'Arabie, Bentley Intense, Prada Amber PH Intense, Prada Amber PH metal travel spray, Loewe PH, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Obsession, others.
    http://tinyurl.com/ju9yuu6 (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/hx7yws8
    (sales)
    Currently wearing: Citiver by Dueto Parfums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oc8EZcvGG8

Quote Originally Posted by ebear View Post
    I've had a full beard for the last eight years. Can't imagine being without it. Since I have pretty much no hair left up top (and keep it buzzed down), it's a nice way to compensate... and avoid looking like a boiled egg.
    Boiled egg lol!

I think bald with a beard is a virile, handsome look for a guy.
    It is true that fish stink. It is also true that the river is
    beautiful. But the river would be beautiful despite the fish. What
    is noxious remains so.

That is not to say that sh*t is not useful when buried in the wheat
    field. Bread made from the field tastes sweet, wine from the arbor
    sweetest. All things serve a purpose, but that is no reason to
    glorify what is abominable. A man must still watch where he walks
    and keep his sandals clean.
    c.21 of the Egyptian Book of the Dead, Trans: Normandi Ellis

Tom Ford Splits:Noir de Noir, Neroli Portofino, Lavender Palm, Plum Japonais, Champacca Absolute, Tobacco Vanille ONE LEFT: Italian Cypress, Patchouli Absolu, Amber Absolute, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oc8EZcvGG8

^^^ I'd have the same reaction if my partner ever shaved his off.

Cute video
    It is true that fish stink. It is also true that the river is
    beautiful. But the river would be beautiful despite the fish. What
    is noxious remains so.

That is not to say that sh*t is not useful when buried in the wheat
    field. Bread made from the field tastes sweet, wine from the arbor
    sweetest. All things serve a purpose, but that is no reason to
    glorify what is abominable. A man must still watch where he walks
    and keep his sandals clean.
    c.21 of the Egyptian Book of the Dead, Trans: Normandi Ellis

Beard or no ?I think it depends from person to person. However if you have normal growth of beard and don't have any issues like itching, professionalism etc , you should always try it once

my beard is now a goatee

Dirty and Swag look is getting popular today thus I prefer with beard.

Beard - no!
    Designer stubble - yes indeed!
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: Eau de Rochas by Rochas

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    Beard - no!
    Designer stubble - yes indeed!
    This is the way I have to go. Being a volunteer firefighter full beards are not allowed. They interfere with the seal on the face masks. I love day 2 of no shaving. Skins isn't irritated and the stubble looks good IMO. If I had the opportunity, I'd definitely try a full beard at least one time to see what's it about.

Oddly enough I think a nicely bearded dude will get more compliments from other guys than girls on their beards lol. From what I know most girls prefer clean shaven men, but that shouldn't keep you from sporting a nice beard, especially if you think it makes you look better.

Basenotes Member

Hi,
    I like trimmed small beard.
    Thanks!!

I like a beard if it is neat and maintained. Nothing too long or bushy. I keep mine really tight to my face. I'm a balding man and can't really grow much on top so I opt to express 'hair' on my face rather than my head. I keep my head neatly shaved.

Even considered a procedure for permanent facial hair removal with laser, wanting to remain clean shaven anyway for the rest of my life and also to not depend anymore on the daily shave- until a dermatologist told me that the current permanent removal methods actually only reduce growth by a mere 60% (guessing that this means back to daily shaving)

Too many ugly people with beards now, giving them a bad name.

It's all about hiding that freakishly large chin or those chipmunk cheeks. It's like the new combover.

P.S. Sideburns don't hide your big ears either, they only highlight them.

Girls in Colorado like a beard - who gives a rats a$$! Wear a beard if you like it, not because of what others prefer
    Currently wearing: Aramis by Aramis

My husband is too lazy to shave his beard very often, that's why I have already got used for his unshaven face and now can't imagine his even clean face) I like some fashionable beard styles, by the way, they are really trendy this year. Why not?)
    Don't get sunburnt this summer! Read my article how to get rid of sunburn in my blog ambrossimo