Code of Conduct

Thread: Beard or no?

Default Beard or no?

I used to be a clean shaven guy, but honestly it's too much work. I keep a nicely trimmed beard now. I like it much better, and it's easier on my skin.

Default Re: Beard or no?

It's hugely popular here at the moment. Many people are going as far as beard implants.

I can't stand too much growth on my face, makes me itchy, but if it works for you great.

I'm pretty blessed that I can grow a decently good looking big beard. I haven't trimmed my beard in almost a year and don't have plans to either.

Whether you go big or small I would advise looking into a beard oil or conditioner. I use Honest Amish beard conditioner along with jojoba oil.

Check out http://jefffsbeardboard.yuku.com/ for very useful help.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Was and still am clean shaven most, practically all of my adult life. While beards can look great on certain men, I never had the proper growth to fully be comfortable with this look, because while being quite abundant and coarse, the growth is still patchy and asymmetric on me. Besides, I like the "neutral" (or, at least, more adaptable, easier to accessorize type of look) a fully shaven face provides, as well as the way my jawline and several other facial features are highlighted (speaking strictly for myself). Ultimately, it is always a question of personal preference.

Blog Entries

No.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I like a well groomed beard.

"We need more beard."....I have had a beard for the last 35 years or so. I like my beard extremely close cut and well defined.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

If you have to face for it. Yes.

Prefer being clean shaven and the look.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

No.

No- can't wait for the hipster trend to be over.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I wore a goatee for an entire summer back in the day. I recall it was not a problem to keep neat. But, a return to a rather boot camp-like atmosphere professional school for the Spring semester required a clean shaven look--and sideburns shaven up to the tragus of the ear-- one I have maintained since but without suffering the slings and arrows of high-burns.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I wouldn't mind but am not allowed to.

So OP did you decide to grow out a beard?

With my beard being fairly long I probably spend more time combing and oiling it than most guys spend shaving. My kids love my beard. I remember the first time one of my daughters saw me without a beard she cried and wouldn't come by me for a whole day.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

My husband said a beard made him look like a vagrant.

I actually persuaded him to grow one a few years ago...unfortunately I had to agree with his assessment. I also found it too scratchy. Farewell, beard!

But the right face with the right beard...yes!

It looks nice if it complements your facial features well. I like it better than having to shave everyday, opting out to visiting the barber every 3 weeks or so.

Basenotes Junkie

Not for me. I do the lazy beard where i don't shave for a bit but my wife hates it and i'm not thrilled with it. I just hate to shave.

Rick

I like clean shaven or closely trimmed & edged, about the same; indifferent between these. Do not like big beards, at all, on anyone really. Or I guess I can appreciate them in an objective way, like the beard itself can be beautiful but do not think they make anyone look better, and would not like it at all if my guy grew one.

I keep mine under 5mm long, but I trim my neck line. Honestly, I'm not sure how people shave every day...I seriously don't think I could. If I use a blade razor my skin feels horrible after, unless I change blades constantly, which is very expensive.

If I got a job that required a clean shave I think I would get a straight razor and try that.
    Last edited by rynegne; 25th June 2014 at 03:29 AM.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW: Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD SSS Incense Pure / Slumberhouse & More...

No.
    However, I've taken on the habit of shaving in the evening instead of morning. I find shaving relaxing and rushing it in the morning goes against that. Hence, on normal days I do carry a bit of a shade by lunch time. Obvously, for official days i do shave at the start of day but also might go without a shave for 3-4 days when putting down the hammer at work/gym.

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk

I'm lucky enough to be able to shave my face with a clipper style beard trimmer once a week and move between looking clean shaven and having a nice looking (or so I've been told many times) stubble beard. I've had long beards in the past but they eventually become almost as much work as wet shaving everyday.

I used to be dead against it but grudgingly admit it suits some men. Although the following should be avoided IMO:

Tatty, straggly beards (lazy g*t).

Overly fussily-styled beards (along with tapering eyebrows, too primped and precious).

An 'incongru-beard': grown in a futile effort to make a baby-faced man look butch. No, it just looks silly.