Code of Conduct

Default Vintage Fahrenheit help dating

Hey all,
    I've read the Raiders of the lost scent blog on identifying vintage Dior fragrances and I've also used checkcosmetic with no luck dating this vintage Fahrenheit I just found. Below are pictures.
    There is no serial printed on the box. There is only a 3 digit code on the cellophane, that matches a code on the bottom of the bottle (which is hard to see in the picture, but it's there.)

The code is ZM4

This was also included in the box.

Any ideas are highly appreciated!
    Last edited by metallisomething; 3rd May 2014 at 12:16 PM.

Default Re: Vintage Fahrenheit help dating

Lucky you. Looks like the real deal.

This is the earliest vintage of Dior Fahrenheit. You can see that on the top of the packaging's front that "Fahrenheit" is embossed over a blue strip. You also have yellow on the bottom of your box. This was exclusive to the vintage. Newer versions are embossed on black. The second formulation was printed just below a blue strip. The second indication is brevity of the ingredient list. A full list of ingredients wasn't required until the late 1990's.

If I had to guess, I'd say that your bottle was released somewhere between 1988 and 1994 or so... Bottom line, this looks to be vintage and is head-and-shoulders above what's on shelves in department stores now.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by checkmate; 28th June 2014 at 10:01 PM.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

I was under the assumption (based on the knowledge of Fahrenheit collectors on here) that there have never been vintage bottles with a three digit batch code? They were originally five digits.

Quote Originally Posted by metallisomething View Post
    Any ideas are highly appreciated!
    I have never seen a bottle with a three digit batch code. The early bottles (at least from 1990 onwards) had five digits, printed in black on the cellophane. They started to engrave the code into the bottom of the box ca. 1996 and in 1998 they changed it to four digits.

I would place this bottle into the mid to late nineties, the green dot on the bottom of the box is there, but the complete address is not.

There should be a hint on that leaflet ... if you look very closely, in one of the many corners there should be a date ... something like 8/90 (meaning Month/Year). Can you find it?
    Last edited by osoblanco; 24th July 2014 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by checkmate View Post
    This is the earliest vintage of Dior Fahrenheit. You can see that on the top of the packaging's front that "Fahrenheit" is embossed over a blue strip. You also have yellow on the bottom of your box. This was exclusive to the vintage. Newer versions are embossed on black. The second formulation was printed just below a blue strip. The second indication is brevity of the ingredient list. A full list of ingredients wasn't required until the late 1990's.

If I had to guess, I'd say that your bottle was released somewhere between 1988 and 1994 or so... Bottom line, this looks to be vintage and is head-and-shoulders above what's on shelves in department stores now.

Enjoy!
    It cannot be any earlier than 1991 because the address would say 30 Avenue Hoche rather than 33.

Regards

The smell, the bottle and box (green dot, address, bar code, lack of stamped batch code) put it in the 92-94 range. The fact that the batch code (despite its digit length) is not stamped on the box predates 1998.

I have read that 3 digit batch codes, though extremely rare, do exist from the early years. This is taken from the Raiders of the Lost Scent article on Christian Dior in regards to pre 1998 fragrances.
    "The situation is more confused. It happens a similar mechanism - but not identical - where the number of digits is variable, three, four or five digits."

This bottle is an enigma. The smell is different than the current in a very cool way, and I am happy with it. Though I may never know for sure, it is unique and, in some way, is a part of fragrance history.

Quote Originally Posted by metallisomething View Post
    The smell, the bottle and box (green dot, address, bar code, lack of stamped batch code) put it in the 92-94 range.

Though I may never know for sure, it is unique and, in some way, is a part of fragrance history.
    They didn't have any leaflets up until 1995, and they started with the green dot in 1997 (or maybe even 1996) ... so that would place your bottle into 1995 or 1996.

On the other hand, the 4 in the batch code could hint at 1994, so maybe they started putting the leaflets into the boxes late in 1994?

Edit: Sorry, I just remembered that your box does have the green dot, so it must be from 1996/1997 or later.

Did you check the leaflet for a date? As I said before, there should be a date printed in one of its corners ... something like 8/95 ... but it's very small, you really have to look carefully.

And by the way, the picture you posted about the formulations is wrong. I'm not sure about the exact dates regarding the formulations, but the boxes came out like this:

First Design: 1988-2001 (there are slight variations, but they are basically all the same)
    Second Design: 2002-200? (not sure in which year they changed to the third one)
    Third Design: 200?-2005
    Fourth Design: 2006-present
    Last edited by osoblanco; 13th August 2014 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by osoblanco View Post
    They didn't have any leaflets up until 1995, and they started with the green dot in 1997 (or maybe even 1996) ... so that would place your bottle into 1995 or 1996.

On the other hand, the 4 in the batch code could hint at 1994, so maybe they started putting the leaflets into the boxes late in 1994?

Did you check the leaflet for a date? As I said before, there should be a date printed in one of its corners ... something like 8/95 ... but it's very small, you really have to look carefully.

And by the way, the picture you posted about the formulations is wrong. I'm not sure about the exact dates regarding the formulations, but the boxes came out like this:

First Design: 1988-2001 (there are slight variations, but they are basically all the same)
    Second Design: 2002-200? (not sure in which year they changed to the third one)
    Third Design: 200?-2005
    Fourth Design: 2006-present
    According to Raiders of the Lost Scent, Dior started using the green dot on the packaging of their fragrances in 1992.

Can anyone else confirm that for us?

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    According to Raiders of the Lost Scent, Dior started using the green dot on the packaging of their fragrances in 1992.

Can anyone else confirm that for us?
    I can confirm that there was no green dot on the box until (and including) 1995 (none of my various bottles has one), I'm not sure about 1996 though. The first time it appears is on a box from 1997.

It could be that the green dot was printed onto the cellophane, though ... but not onto the box itself.

There was a sealed 1994 box in my review. The green dot is printed on the cellophane.

http://www.jasonnewton.net/blog/2014...ahrenheit-1988

It could be that the green dot was printed onto the cellophane, though ... but not onto the box itself.
    An important distinction that wasn't mentioned in your previous post.

That's because I didn't know ... I don't keep the cellophane, so I can only talk about the boxes. I thought we were all talking about the boxes, not the cellophane.

He did however mention in it back in post no.5

Quote Originally Posted by jason_newton View Post
    He did however mention in it back in post no.5
    Post No. 5 makes a distinction between printing the batch code on the box vs. on cellophane but makes no mention of how or where the green dot was printed, which is what I was originally referring to.

Post No. 5 makes a distinction between printing the batch code on the box vs. on cellophane but makes no mention of how or where the green dot was printed, which is what I was originally referring to.
    Sorry, but it never occurred to me that the green dot might have been printed onto the cellophane. I thought we were all talking about the green dot on the box itself, which was introduced in 1997 (or maybe 1996).

Sorry, but it never occurred to me that the green dot might have been printed onto the cellophane. I thought we were all talking about the green dot on the box itself, which was introduced in 1997 (or maybe 1996).
    No need to apologize, bro. I was confused by your earlier statement because my 1994 bottle has the green dot (albeit on the cellophane and not the box itself) and just wanted some clarification.

Found this discussion very interesting. Just checked my bottle because curiosity got the best of me. It looks very much like the first photo in post # 1 the only difference being mine is 100ml. Never kept the box.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.