Code of Conduct

Default Sandalwood lovers... Australian album

Anyone know if a perfumer has come up with anything yet?

For those not up to speed, here's the series Jordan River wrote for BN last December.

I'm aware that one can purchase TFS's Australian album (essential oil) from profumo.it but was wondering if there's any buzz about any perfumer/house working on a composition coming to market any time soon. Whatever it be and whenever it happens, I'd expect it to be rather expensive but quite welcome nonetheless.

When's the next great creamy sandalwood coming?
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Default Re: Sandalwood lovers... Australian album

I believe it went into Dries van Noten (Frederic Malle said in an interview that they had compared some santalum album from India and Oz and found the Oz preferable) and I am guessing maybe the new Diptyque Tam Dao EdP.

I hope a few of the so called sandalwood brews out there do the right thing and reformulate with some of this stuff - with all the mess from the EU restrictions on everything else that moves it would be nice to see some stuff reworked to what it once was . . . Crabtree & Evelyn, hallo
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Basenotes Institution

L'Arbre by IUNX has it, I'm pretty sure
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

The new Neela Vermeire's creation, named "Ashoka" has sandalwood in it. The whole perfume focuses on a creamy, warm-biscuit-woody smell so I'd swear it's the real one.

Thanks for those suggestions. Any excuse to visit the local Barney's for the Malle is always welcome and I've got an email into IUNX at boutique-costes-iunx@hotelcostes.com so we'll see. Are there other sources for IUNX? There's not much out there but a few blogs have some good things to say about L'Arbre. Look forward to putting my nose on it.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Quote Originally Posted by BergamottoeBenzoino View Post
    The new Neela Vermeire's creation, named "Ashoka" has sandalwood in it. The whole perfume focuses on a creamy, warm-biscuit-woody smell so I'd swear it's the real one.
    Thx. I read up on this and it seems it might be a bit 'figgy'. However I'll be sure to give it a try along with the earlier offering from the same Vermeire/Duchaufour collaboration, Trayee even if that one is purportedly equipped with Mysore and not Australian album. It sounds so good.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

I've used the Australian Sandalwood in two of my most recent creations which are macerating currently. It is definitely a little less dry and more green-fresh than other sandalwood oils I've used, including Mysore, Vanuatu and New Caledonia.

I used large amounts of the Australian Sandalwood in a fragrance I'm creating with a fresh-woody vibe...blended with Lime, Coconut, Musk, Amyris, Cedar...hints of ISO-E and more. Good stuff for sure, definitely good for fresh-woody fragrances. I still need to work with it a bit more in "warmer" stuff...I used a little bit in my other fragrance which has a more woody, dry, warm, balsamic vibe but decided to stick mostly with the Mysore and Vanuatu for that blend.
    Last edited by rynegne; 5th May 2014 at 04:18 PM.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I've used the Australian Sandalwood in two of my most recent creations which are macerating currently. It is definitely a little less dry and more green-fresh than other sandalwood oils I've used, including Mysore, Vanuatu and New Caledonia.
    May I trouble you to expound on green-fresh (i.e. in what sense)? Like fern or fig, or something entirely different?

I used large amounts of the Australian Sandalwood in a fragrance I'm creating with a fresh-woody vibe...blended with Lime, Coconut, Musk, Amyris, Cedar...hints of ISO-E and more. Good stuff for sure, definitely good for fresh-woody fragrances. I still need to work with it a bit more in "warmer" stuff...I used a little bit in my other fragrance which has a more woody, dry, warm, balsamic vibe but decided to stick mostly with the Mysore and Vanuatu for that blend.
    It's great to hear your project is off the ground... Good luck with that and may it take you wherever you want to go! Do you have names for the two you mention above yet?
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Not sure I can really describe it in a way some Basenoters can. To me Aussie Santal smells vaguely figgy (I've only tried a few fig fragrances) in the sense it smells a bit greener like a snapped tree branch from a living tree rather than dried wood as some of the other sandalwoods I've tried tend to smell. Fig tends to be a very sharp green smell, at least the fragrances I've tried...which I'm referencing, while the sandalwood is definitely smoother and obviously woody...briefly sweet.

Thanks DuNezDeBuzier, the fresh-woody sandalwood is named Limed while the warm-woody fragrance will be SantL.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    ...I've got an email into IUNX at boutique-costes-iunx@hotelcostes.com so we'll see. Are there other sources for IUNX? There's not much out there but a few blogs have some good things to say about L'Arbre...
    As far as I know, that's the only place to get the IUNX line.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Last time I looked, L'Arbre had disappeared from the Iunx line online. Now I don't see anything online for Iunx. Can anyone shed any light?

Quick question, when you say Australian Sandalwood do you mean the recently harvested Santalum Album grown in Oz, or the other species commonly called 'Australian Sandalwood', ryngne?
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Sorry if I've goofed anyone up here...The sandalwood I've tried from Australia is not Santal Album, but, Santalum Spicatum. I NEED TO READ more!

The Santal Album I had and used in SantL was of Indian origin.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Quick question, when you say Australian Sandalwood do you mean the recently harvested Santalum Album grown in Oz, or the other species commonly called 'Australian Sandalwood', ryngne?
    Last edited by rynegne; 6th May 2014 at 03:35 AM.

Cool. The Spicatum seems to have been adopted by a lot of people - Dominique Dubrana sent me a little sample to compare with some old Mysore he had and it was interesting stuff but a different 'personality'. He also mentioned in the series of articles here that he thinks the new Oz Santalum is pretty good stuff.

I do hope it starts getting used more and some of the brands start rejuvenating a few old goodies!
    ― Isaac Asimov

I can imagine it being very good. The Indian variety of Mysore I used is incredible, unmatched by any other sandalwood I've tried...warm-dry-woody and creamy as it dried. I do enjoy New Caledonia's sharp-dry-woody qualities and Spicatum's greener-woody qualties... I wish I had access to the Australian Santal Album to give a shot as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    ... I've got an email into IUNX at boutique-costes-iunx@hotelcostes.com so we'll see...
    Well they answered quickly and in a friendly manner, however:

"...Sadly I have to inform you that No it is not possible to have samples as we simply do not have any samples of any of our perfume whither Costes or I U N X Perfumes.

The only way to sample our perfumes is in the store ., BUT ! if you do have a friend in Paris they are more than welcome to pass by and we will of course proceed with a sample on our Scent Cards.

sorry to have to reply in the negative.. Cordially, ..."
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Basenotes Institution

Wow, the Australian Santalum Album is not cheap from profumo.it! $76.00 a gram, before shipping.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

That's definitely a sizable amount of money for a single gram and a lot more than I was paying for East Indian Santalum Album.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Wow, the Australian Santalum Album is not cheap from profumo.it! $76.00 a gram, before shipping.

^ Yeah. In theory, the market price should decrease as more Australian album is cultivated and brought to market. This, of course, assumes it is seen as an equal (or even inferior) substitute to what is available at the higher end, be it Mysore, Sri Lanka, Tamil, Calendonia, E. Indian, or whatever. If it's seen as superior, however, demand may keep those prices where they are or perhaps drive them even higher. In theory.

Oh, and the give away at the culmination of Mr. River's series was for 5ml vials if I remember correctly. Nice!

Update: on another thread in the DIY forum Mt. Romance (vendor) was cited as offering the Australian album for quite a bit less.
    Last edited by DuNezDeBuzier; 6th May 2014 at 10:15 PM.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

And, lo and behold, this same vendor, Mt Romance (incidentally, a wholly-owned sub of TFS) offers up the only mix, Bois eau de parfum by La Reine, I've seen so far that explicitly mentions the use of Australian album in its composition. Unfortunately, Mt Romance is located in OZ and no Int'l shipping of products with alcohol content is offered. Likewise, La Reine is in neither the BN nor Fragrantica directories.
    Last edited by DuNezDeBuzier; 6th May 2014 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Will ship essential oils internationally.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Australian Sandalwood is nice but it does not hold a candle to Mysore Sandalwood.

Australian Sandalwood = santalum spicatum
    Mysore Sandalwood = santalum album
    Australian album = santalum album cultivated in Western Australia

I think it's a commonly held theme to many that santalum spicatum is inferior to santalum album, as you say. Or did you mean to comment about the comparison between the santalum album (Mysore v. Aussie)?
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Arrow Re: Sandalwood lovers... Australian album

I never smelled Australian Album, but I have bought two bottles of Santalum Album from the Pacific Islands during the last six months and I can not distinguish it from Mysore sandalwood. Haven't been able to compare it to true Mysore since I lost my last bottle, but it's close enough to make me thrilled a out it. I talked about it on another forum and nobody seemed to think it was of any importance.
    Since the bottles I've bought weren't prohibitely expensive I can't think they're from a small crop.

Santalum Album should be reintroduced to blends right now I think. Regular Australian sandalwood is very different.