Code of Conduct

Default The making of Sahara Noir

So today i found out that the perfumer behind one of my favorite incense scents is : Rodrigo Flores-Roux.

I stumbled upon this blog article today where Mr Rodrigo explains the inspiration behind the scent.

Rodrigo Flores-Roux: “Sahara Noir started with a concept. Frankincense is one of the three gifts of the Maji, the Three Kings that visited Jesus when he was born. I read the Song of Songs written by Solomon in the bible. It goes into profound concepts about a couple in love and metaphors of gardens and animals. It is basically a metaphor of the love between someone and God. Solomon makes many references to botanicals. I read the book several times; I noted down every plant that is mentioned in the Song of Songs and every plant that is mentioned, is inside this perfume. So we are talking about jasmine and rose, which is evident. We are talking about papyrus, cedarwood, frankincense and myrrh. We are talking about styrax, leather, which is not a botanical but still we went there. Cyprus is important, calamus, which is a strange raw material, labdanum and aloe, which I translated into rosewood. So this perfume had a very specific starting point and it became Sahara Noir. Funnily, Sahara Noir is the name of a very rare and expensive quality of marble that comes from Northern Africa. It is the darkest of marbles you will see in Baroque churches. In the Vatican it was used to decorate the Basilica of St Peters so the whole thing has a bit of a mystical, elevated, religious thing happening.”

Very interesting read and interview. More about it here : http://whatmenshouldsmelllike.com/20...d-sahara-noir/
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 4th May 2014 at 05:48 PM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Default Re: The making of Sahara Noir

Very good perfume, though I like L'air du desert Marocain, Serge Noir and Jozef Statkus more.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Thanks for sharing. Although not a fan of the scent, found the article interesting.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

That is really interesting! Thanks for sharing. It must been have been an amazing adventure to read about all the different components and then hunt everything down and compose it.

As much as I hear about SN, I haven't even sampled this one yet. Nice article.

Basenotes Plus

I really like SN - great fragrance and nice article always fascinated by biblical style ingredients....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

I quite enjoy wearing SN but think that the bottle is absolutely ghastly.

I have a sample and find it very musty, like old burnt incense found in a dust laden attic that was bombarded by extreme temperature swings. I'm not a fan of Yatagan, but I'd prefer it to SN... just not my thing. OTOH, I really enjoy the fresh spicy quality of Amouage Epic Man.

Sahara noir is dandy but once you own LDDM everything else in the vicinity is a downgrade
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    Sahara noir is dandy but once you own LDDM everything else in the vicinity is a downgrade
    I own LDDM and love it but it actually does not have incense. This question has been mentioned several times to Andy (on the incense vibe in LDDM) and his answer was that the coriander/flowers/cedar combo is tricking the nose that there is incense in it.

His other creation Incense Extreme (which i also own) does have tons of indian incense though (25% concentration). It's a beauty and i much prefer it over Sahara Noir.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

I prefer Incense Extreme out of those three in terms of incense

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    I prefer Incense Extreme out of those three in terms of incense
    Incense extreme is a beauty. It's my favorite incense at the moment. There is something about indian incense that is so calming and architectural.

Omani Frankincense (ala Sahara Noir) can be a little harsh sometimes.....

I love both. I can easily wear incense extreme everyday if i want to, while i can't find myself doing that with Sahara noir.
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 5th May 2014 at 02:19 PM.

Incense Extreme is a lot more satisfying imo, although Sahara Noir is good quality.

I don't find these two similar in any way...other than the fact that both have a general warm vibe and name ties to Northern Africa

Thanks for sharing the article. Very interesting. This is one that I tried in-store initially and was unimpressed...brought home a small sample vial though and I'm glad I did...because I did a complete 180 on this one. As far as warmer frankincense fragrances go, this is close to the top of my list. I really enjoy the inclusion of beeswax and other warm supporting notes.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

Basenotes Plus

To each his own, I suppose. I found LDDM quite boring, actually. Nice blend of kitchen spices, but that's all. Much prefer Sahara Noir.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    This is one that I tried in-store initially and was unimpressed...brought home a small sample vial though and I'm glad I did...because I did a complete 180 on this one. As far as warmer frankincense fragrances go, this is close to the top of my list. I really enjoy the inclusion of beeswax and other warm supporting notes.
    Hehe, I did the opposite of you. There were times in the last few months where i found it extremely thick and animalic and i was considering selling it, then i found out that "less is more" is the way to go. It's not a projection monster per say, but it's extremely rich. So when i started doing less sprays, i came back to enjoying the middle notes again.

So it was a full 360 for me
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 5th May 2014 at 06:23 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    Hehe, I did the opposite of you. There were times in the last few months where i found it extremely thick and animalic and i was considering selling it, then i found out that "less is more" is the way to go. It's not a projection monster per say, but it's extremely rich. So when i started doing less sprays, i came back to enjoying the middle notes again.

I may need to try that approach. I have a love/hate thing with this scent. I think I may be using too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I may need to try that approach. I have a love/hate thing with this scent. I think I may be using too much.
    It will certainly make a big difference.

Also, from experimenting, i noticed that it does show its lighter more airy side when worn outdoors. Those whiffs of warm incense really shine outside. Wearing it indoors while chilling at home is not that good of an idea, at least from my experience.
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 6th May 2014 at 07:18 AM.

Blog Entries

It will certainly make a big difference.

Also, from experimenting, i noticed that it does show its lighter more airy side when worn outdoors. Those whiffs of warm incense really shine outside. Wearing it indoors while chilling at home or with friends is not that good of an idea, at least from my experience.
    Wow - come to think of it, my best wear was outdoors. Yeah - I really do need to reevaluate! Thanks!

Thanks for posting this - I tried it, seems okay. The Tom Ford line seems so 'faceless' it's actually encouraging to get some word from the guy who made the stuff - I wish they would make a bit more of an effort to let people know who does what . . .
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I wish they would make a bit more of an effort to let people know who does what
    I agree. Same thing with the Armani Prive line...

I may need to try this one again too. I have never been a fan of 'raw' incense fragrances, yet I love incense-blended scents like Amouage Homage Attar and Epic. I brushed Sahara Noir right off when I first tried it - think it may have been a scrubber for me. I have never got on with that house to be honest...

Wow - come to think of it, my best wear was outdoors. Yeah - I really do need to reevaluate! Thanks!
    It will be interesting to know if it worked for you as it did for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Thanks for posting this - I tried it, seems okay. The Tom Ford line seems so 'faceless' it's actually encouraging to get some word from the guy who made the stuff - I wish they would make a bit more of an effort to let people know who does what . . .
    I agree. Same thing with the Armani Prive line...
    I liked the post too - thanks for that!

I agree, both these lines deserve better marketing / much more attention than their makers allow them.

Sahara Noir is unwearable for me but I enjoyed the story. Thank you!