Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Blackbird by Matriarch and Pandora by DSH perfume

I'm on a quest for a dark and decadent mens fragrance. Bonus points if it has an "inky" character. I heard blackbird is really good and saw someone mention that it's a cross between Serge Lutens' Fueille fragrance and pure distance M, but better than both. I've read quite a few reviews online and it basically has perfect ratings across the board, everywhere. I have sample coming. Is it really THAT good or is some of the enthusiasm just a function of people's fascination with indie niche? Is the longevity good on this and is it really full bottle worth at $300 per 60ml? For those that have it or tried it, how many sprays would you suggest in one all day wearing? Does this suffer from the blending issues that most indie scents do, or does this smell professionally done and not like some kitchen concoction?

With regard to Pandora - even more expensive, but it supposedly has the decadent inky quality, although it appears to have longevity issues. What are your thought on this one?

Any other suggestions for decadent inky fragrances? I'm also considering a full bottle purchase of Tom Ford's Plum Japanaise or Noir de Noir but can't decide which one...

Default Re: Blackbird by Matriarch and Pandora by DSH perfume

Quote Originally Posted by litworth View Post
    I'm on a quest for a dark and decadent mens fragrance. Bonus points if it has an "inky" character. I heard blackbird is really good and saw someone mention that it's a cross between Serge Lutens' Fueille fragrance and pure distance M, but better than both. I've read quite a few reviews online and it basically has perfect ratings across the board, everywhere. I have sample coming. Is it really THAT good or is some of the enthusiasm just a function of people's fascination with indie niche? Is the longevity good on this and is it really full bottle worth at $300 per 60ml? For those that have it or tried it, how many sprays would you suggest in one all day wearing? Does this suffer from the blending issues that most indie scents do, or does this smell professionally done and not like some kitchen concoction?
    The first point is a subjective call—it has incredible longevity, but it becomes somewhat imperceptible after a short period. You might think it's gone, but it'll re-emerge later. It certainly doesn't behave like a standard perfume, and so if crazy longevity / projection, this might not be a good choice.

As for the second point, again—subjective. I personally dislike overly polished and hyper-produced scents, and this is not one of them. It really does have a home-grown feel to it rather than something mass-produced and auto-tuned in a factory. Many of the ingredients are items that she tinctured herself. So again, if you have concerns about it wanting your perfumes to smell like commercial-grade and highly polished items, this might not be for you.
    Last edited by deadidol; 4th May 2014 at 09:03 PM.

Is it really THAT good or is some of the enthusiasm just a function of people's fascination with indie niche?
    Blackbird is really that good, but you must like dank leathers (as Knize Ten, Cuir Mauresque). Those who have reviewed it thoroughly in the various threads here on BN, are IMHO some of the most well opinionated, and objective members.

Is the longevity good on this
    Longevity is awesome, but because of the natural materials it performs differently, much like an extract de parfum, pluming in-and-out of focus.

It really full bottle worth at $300 per 60ml?
    That's too subjective to answer, but the quality is worth it's value. If your looking for cheaper alternatives, the two fragrances I mentioned above would be a good place to start.

For those that have it or tried it, how many sprays would you suggest in one all day wearing?
    Because of it's natural materials, it's best to dab this on pulse points. If you do have it in an atomizer, 2 sprays in the right places would be enough.

Less is more with this fragrance.

Does this suffer from the blending issues that most indie scents do
    It's composition is flawless, but because it's an extract, again you may realize that it diffuses differently from EdT & EdP.

Does this smell professionally done and not like some kitchen concoction?
    Silly question ~ but yes it's well done, not medium rare.

I'm on a quest for a dark and decadent mens fragrance. Bonus points if it has an "inky" character.
    Blackbird could be described as dark & decadent, but if your looking for inkiness, I think you're barking up the wrong tree. I'm wearing it coincidentally as my SOTD. I suppose your senses could define dank/butch leather as similar to stuffing your nose "inside" an ink bottle, but IMHO not necessarily an apt description for this scent. Encre Noire would fit my definition of inky much better.

I respectfully disagree with the first statement...I generally dislike leathers, but I LOVE Blackbird.

Totally agree on the last statement though, Blackbird is definitely not an inky fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Arij View Post
    Blackbird is really that good, but you must like dank leathers (as Knize Ten, Cuir Mauresque). Those who have reviewed it thoroughly in the various threads here on BN, are IMHO some of the most well opinionated, and objective members.

Longevity is awesome, but because of the natural materials it performs differently, much like an extract de parfum, pluming in-and-out of focus.

That's too subjective to answer, but the quality is worth it's value. If your looking for cheaper alternatives, the two fragrances I mentioned above would be a good place to start.

Because of it's natural materials, it's best to dab this on pulse points. If you do have it in an atomizer, 2 sprays in the right places would be enough.

Less is more with this fragrance.

It's composition is flawless, but because it's an extract, again you may realize that it diffuses differently from EdT & EdP.

Silly question ~ but yes it's well done, not medium rare.

Blackbird could be described as dark & decadent, but if your looking for inkiness, I think you're barking up the wrong tree. I'm wearing it coincidentally as my SOTD. I suppose your senses could define dank/butch leather as similar to stuffing your nose "inside" an ink bottle, but IMHO not necessarily an apt description for this scent. Encre Noire would fit my definition of inky much better.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Blackbird is definitely not an inky fragrance.
    At one point it came in an inkwell, though!

OP, if you're generally more familiar with fragrances that use a lot of synthetics or are factory made (like the Tom Fords you mentioned), then this will be a bit of a trip for you. With that said, out of the fragrances that I've tried that rely heavily on higher quality materials or are blended at high concentration, it's probably one of the more accessible ones. Just know that it's going to be very, very different to what you find in shopping malls and stuff.
    Last edited by deadidol; 4th May 2014 at 10:42 PM.

Blackbird is a stunning scent! But you'll make your own call, soon enough

Received it today and it's good stuff. If the longevity holds up then I'll be buying a full bottle tonight. The blending is really good. Summary is that it smells like very complex, hippie, pink bathroom soap from the 80's and 90's. And it's great. The more whiffs I get of this the more resolute I become in terms of needing to make a purchase. I'm waiting to see what the longevity will be but I can tell now that it's going to be awesome. It doesn't smell inky to me, but It does smell "wet" to me, somehow. Maybe it's the pink soap association. Ok -just got another whiff- definite purchase, lol

A great fragrance, pretty expensive though. I had hesitate myself for a second before pulling the trigger. Haven't had any cognitive dissonance since!

I'm wearing it today

I really wish Blackbird had worked for me, but amber and my skin just don't get along. I had a glorious half hour with it, and then everything else vanished and I was left with mucky headshop amber oil.

I think Blackbird is a really good fragrance. It is a leafy, seaweed + conifer green oud leather scent that has a really great finishing note that is dry and probably castoreum animalic in nature. I like how it is dark and natural smelling without overdoing birch tar aspect, not that it might not be in there. It would be a good winter time fragrance. These heavy dark leathers are not easy to wear regularly. Is it worth the relatively high price? That is another matter altogether. I've tried Pandora and don't recall it being the same intensity and/or even the same type of fragrance style. Suggest you test that one. If you really like this kind of dark fragrance (Or Black, M, Cuir 28, Mona d' Orio Cuir, Norne) then Blackbird is probably worth it for you. After all, M Puredistance is also very expensive and they are in the same ballpark as far scent styles - M is a better fragrance and smoother in style, feel etc. But Blackbird is really good - nice name and identity! Do I think BB is the best fragrance I've ever smelled? No, not personally because these dark leathery fragrances are not my favorite category to wear on skin, like renege said in a post above, so I have gone back and forth on whether to purchase or not. So far, I am satisfied with the very generous sized travel sized sample they offer of Blackbirrd for sale at $10, I think. Maybe thats the best way to go is order the travel atomizer sample and test the waters further. Others in their "natural" fragrance series I think are test worthy are: Blackbird, Bohemian Black, The Maj, Alpha, Forbidden and OM. The style of these is all over the place so you need to select for yourself what you might enjoy.

Matriarch fragrances of "Achtung" series which are priced about 25% lower, with much small sample bottles; and I personally find several of these more interesting to wear than Blackbird. (Sex Magic, Gateways, Epiphany, Immortal, Unveiled were favorites). So I suggest you try some of the samples.

Just FYI, I notice that PalmBeach just added Blackbird to his splits. This is the first time I've ever seen that scent split on Basenotes, and seems like a rare opportunity for those who haven't been able to try it to take it for a spin. Fantastic stuff!

blackbird is a fantastic amber,leather frag and certainly smells smooth to my amateur nose longevity on my skin is awesome some 12+ hours with some 4 sprays

to me it has some similarities to Annick Goutal's amber fetiche...at least the amber and leather part and i have discovered that i love it when these two come together

only thing preventing me from getting a bottle of this is that i love Bohemian Black more and saving the pennies for that and the full sample pack sometime soon

p.s. the sillage and projection of HoM perfumes is generally not the monsterous type like something from Amouage...not a skin scent per se but certainly not a knockout...just enough for one's pleasure without causing offense.
    Last edited by blackheart2925; 1st July 2014 at 05:56 PM.

You know, it's funny -- I've never thought of it as an amber before. There's a strong sweet musk, but it never occurred to me that it could be read as an amber scent. To me, it's leather, incense, woods, seaweed, and musks. But that semi-sweetness that runs all the way through it would certainly make sense as an amber.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    You know, it's funny -- I've never thought of it as an amber before. There's a strong sweet musk, but it never occurred to me that it could be read as an amber scent. To me, it's leather, incense, woods, seaweed, and musks. But that semi-sweetness that runs all the way through it would certainly make sense as an amber.
    havent noticed the incense yet but leather and amber certainly there...and yes a hint of musk but a gentle one...have not noticed the incense yet, need to try this out more.

lol if only they were selling a 100 ml bottle for the current price of the 60ml, think i would jump on it ASAP...

will end up getting a bottle i guess eventually

p.s. would not classify blackbird as an inky / dark fragrance...to me its got a different buzz and brightness like a new leather jacket, speeding along on a motorbike, with some vanilla pods in the pocket and the fumes of gasoline combining with the leather and vanilla and the wind...aah heaven
    Last edited by blackheart2925; 14th May 2014 at 09:02 PM.

When I say incense, this one's more of an impression than, say, frankincense—it's like a total countercultural head shop vibe. I used to frequent old record stores that smelled a bit like this :P

But yeah, I know the prices are high on this one. At leave they've developed the sizing structure a little more. In the past it was either a few ml or a massive jug of the stuff! (I went with the jug).

I agree with the whole head shop "vibe" more than literal frankincense. It's wonderful stuff. Yes Blackbird is expensive, however, the split through PalmBeach offers you a 30ml at a fair price. Total no-brainer for me considering I've gone through about 7ml of my initial purchase already. Good call on getting the jug deadidol, I can't really put into words how much I love this stuff.

Blackbird is definitely one of the more impressive fragrances I've encountered out of hundreds...if not the most impressive. I have to disagree on HoM's other offerings being on par...the seem somewhat less interesting than Blackbird to me. I own a few fragrances from HoM, including SexMagic, which is great in its own right and very vaguely similar to Blackbird...but I think Blackbird is just on another level. Again, just my opinion.

When I say incense, this one's more of an impression than, say, frankincense—it's like a total countercultural head shop vibe. I used to frequent old record stores that smelled a bit like this :P

But yeah, I know the prices are high on this one. At leave they've developed the sizing structure a little more. In the past it was either a few ml or a massive jug of the stuff! (I went with the jug).
    Last edited by rynegne; 15th May 2014 at 03:39 AM.

My sample will be here tomorrow. Looking forward to trying it.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Ryan, did your 15ml bottle come with an atomizer? On the site, it lists it as a 15ml flacon, versus a 60ml atomizer. The pictures show an atomizer, but the wording threw me off.

My 15ml came in atomizer form.

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    Ryan, did your 15ml bottle come with an atomizer? On the site, it lists it as a 15ml flacon, versus a 60ml atomizer. The pictures show an atomizer, but the wording threw me off.

Blackbird is good stuff. I received my 3.3 atomizer today which came with a generous gesture of free samples of Devotion, Bohemian black and Sacre Tabac Sucre.

My favorite (based on my tastes) is hands down : Bohemian Black.
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 15th May 2014 at 05:46 AM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

The first point is a subjective call—it has incredible longevity, but it becomes somewhat imperceptible after a short period. You might think it's gone, but it'll re-emerge later. It certainly doesn't behave like a standard perfume, and so if crazy longevity / projection, this might not be a good choice.

As for the second point, again—subjective. I personally dislike overly polished and hyper-produced scents, and this is not one of them. It really does have a home-grown feel to it rather than something mass-produced and auto-tuned in a factory. Many of the ingredients are items that she tinctured herself. So again, if you have concerns about it wanting your perfumes to smell like commercial-grade and highly polished items, this might not be for you.
    I wanted to to agree with you about the incredible longevity, and how you think it's gone but you'll keep getting whiffs of it all day as it re-emerges.

Blackbird is a rare bird indeed. An incredible unique scent that never stops giving me pleasure every time I wear it.

I received my bottle of Blackbird on Friday and have worn in a few times now. I'm really enjoying the scent. I'm not finding it overly strong and have done 3 sprays each wearing as some mentioned it is a very strong fragrance. To my nose it is a very well blended.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    +1 that's the one I want to buy :-)

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

Definitely a well-blended fragrance. 3 sprays is no problem, however, you can really smell this one jump off your skin the second your body temperature rises just slightly! You'll think it's gone and it bounces right back!

Quote Originally Posted by Rev320 View Post
    I received my bottle of Blackbird on Friday and have worn in a few times now. I'm really enjoying the scent. I'm not finding it overly strong and have done 3 sprays each wearing as some mentioned it is a very strong fragrance. To my nose it is a very well blended.

Excellent Juice. I wish I got in on a bigger quantity than I did when the mega split was happening.

Well the longevity seems pretty outstanding. I was at church tonight for vacation Bible school and one of my friends commented how I smelled good. Then later on one of the kids said I smelled good which I thought was funny. The compliments came after spraying 14 hours earlier.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Basenotes Plus

Well the longevity seems pretty outstanding. I was at church tonight for vacation Bible school and one of my friends commented how I smelled good. Then later on one of the kids said I smelled good which I thought was funny. The compliments came after spraying 14 hours earlier.
    It plays hide 'no seek with you. Just when you think it is gone, it comes roaring back.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    It plays hide 'no seek with you. Just when you think it is gone, it comes roaring back.
    Does it ever! I've fog horned my gym twice now thinking I was fragrance-free. It's the strangest scent in that respect.

I'm going to dig up this sample again to retest - I tried a whole bunch of samples along with Blackbird & none came close to being FB worthy that time compared to Blackbird.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    I'm going to dig up this sample again to retest - I tried a whole bunch of samples along with Blackbird & none came close to being FB worthy that time compared to Blackbird.
    Bohemian Black is in the same vein, but not on the same level. IMO. She'll have a tough time ever topping this one, I think.

I think SexMagic is the second best fragrance I've encountered in my sniffs of House of Matriarch perfumes. It's like Blackbird's non-green cousin that smokes cigarettes...kidding...but SexMagic does smell slightly similar to Blackbird with the addition add some smokey resins & wood and removal of the seaweed/marijuana kick in BBs opening. I'll have to smell both side-by-side soon.

I thought Alpha was pretty good, if you like pine/fir fragrances. I liked it a lot more than Norne, mostly because it wears easier, yet has somewhat of the same aesthetic.

Bohemian Black was note my thing...a good enough fragrance and very interesting. However, I found it a little too sweet/floral for me at one point...not that it isn't masculine (because it is masculine leaning IMO) but strong white florals aren't really my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    I just want to say that Blackbird is hands down my favorite now and I ended up buying the 60 ml full bottle a month ago.

During my initial testing stage of the line, Blackbird was only a 'like' and Bohemian black was the standout. But after wearing my sample of Blackbird several times throughout that week, I realized how special this scent is.

Bohemian black is really nice but if you smelled Tauer incense rose you will notice a lot of similarities between the two. If you have both, try to compare them and you will see what I mean

For me, the second best in the line after Blackbird is the incense loaded 'Devotion' which I'm planing to buy a full bottle of when fall arrives.
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 2nd July 2014 at 06:26 AM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

There are some notes in the dry down of Blackbird that is reminding me also of the dry down of Amouage Epic Man.

For me, the second best in the line after Blackbird is the incense loaded 'Devotion' which I'm planing to buy a full bottle of when fall arrives.
    Agree with you about Devotion (and Blackbird, of course). Its terrific.

I really like Blackbird and many others from Matriarch are worth exploring as well. For an artisan perfumer, Matriarch has an extremely varied and accomplished lineup of fragrances. As does Dawn Spencer Hurwitz, but I don't remember Pandora. Pandora by DSH was mentioned in the thread title and I'm wondering if anyone has compared it to Blackbrid? I had a sample of Pandora a few years back, but I don't recall it smelling like Blackbird. Has anyone else tried it?

I tried it. It was nice but nothing like Blackbird. Pandora is like classic perfumery (think Roja Dove, fetish style old school classic), but with terrible longevity. I tried the EDP through, the extrait may have had better longevity but is overpriced imho. Blackbird was better than Pandaro for me, by a country mile.

I'm really late to the part here, this one sounds really interesting.

I received a Blackbird sample this morning and my first impression is that it smells like smoke, Yep burnt my steak on the BBQ smoke. But every once in a while I got a whiff of fruit sweetness 10am to 4pm.So far smoke with the odd whiff of fruit here and there,

I was kinda disappointed but it might just be my untrained nose, It seems to be picking up as the day goes on but this one is probably not for me,

In reality I probably bit off more than I can chew but thought it would be nice to try something high end,

I can't say I get much smoke outside of the leathery notes that might trigger such a response. There is definitely an underlying sweetness to Blackbird. It seems to go from sweet-green to slightly balsamic, musky and mellow with a general warm sweetness attached - neither of which I would say really come off as fruity to me. Maybe give it a try in the cooler months, you might have a totally different fragrance experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillionare View Post
    I received a Blackbird sample this morning and my first impression is that it smells like smoke, Yep burnt my steak on the BBQ smoke. But every once in a while I got a whiff of fruit sweetness 10am to 4pm.So far smoke with the odd whiff of fruit here and there,

I was kinda disappointed but it might just be my untrained nose, It seems to be picking up as the day goes on but this one is probably not for me,

In reality I probably bit off more than I can chew but thought it would be nice to try something high end,

Sounds a lot like Puredistance M.

Yes you may be totally right, I'll revisit this for sure, but I really do get that strong creosote for the first 3 or 4 hours. By the 3rd hour I start to pick up other things going on. I don't think it was fruit I was trying to describe but the sweetness

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I can't say I get much smoke outside of the leathery notes that might trigger such a response. There is definitely an underlying sweetness to Blackbird. It seems to go from sweet-green to slightly balsamic, musky and mellow with a general warm sweetness attached - neither of which I would say really come off as fruity to me. Maybe give it a try in the cooler months, you might have a totally different fragrance experience.

Yes, you may wanna wait and try it again on a mild nice dry morning when your nose is fresh and craving. I'm sure you'll pick it up differently

Blackbird for me is the most engaging and constantly evolving scent i have yet to experience. On me, i get cannabis, leather, Seaweed, oud and incense (it seems to be a house made incense recipe that the perfumer uses in most of the line... and it's delicious). Amber is way in the background at first but it later shows up clearly in the drydown.

Anyway, that's my take on it. But yeah give it another chance/wearing sometime in the future !

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Sounds a lot like Puredistance M.
    Blackbird? Nah—it's a semi-sweet head-shop leather scent whereas M is more spiced leather.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillionare View Post
    Yes you may be totally right, I'll revisit this for sure, but I really do get that strong creosote for the first 3 or 4 hours. By the 3rd hour I start to pick up other things going on. I don't think it was fruit I was trying to describe but the sweetness
    I'm not sure where smoke would come from—perhaps some of the woody materials? It's a pretty loaded scent, and one that shifts radically on the skin, but upfront, you should be able to smell the seaweed notes, the leather, the musk, and a sort of amberish thing with some coniferous stuff poking through. It's a weird scent (weird in a good sense), and if this is your first foray into artisan stuff, then yes, you're jumping right in with Blackbird! If you have enough, slather yourself with it in the morning and then exercise later in the day (8 hours or so later) and see what happens.

A good idea, if you would like to experience Blackbird at an atomic level haha.

Blackbird? Nah—it's a semi-sweet head-shop leather scent whereas M is more spiced leather.

I'm not sure where smoke would come from—perhaps some of the woody materials? It's a pretty loaded scent, and one that shifts radically on the skin, but upfront, you should be able to smell the seaweed notes, the leather, the musk, and a sort of amberish thing with some coniferous stuff poking through. It's a weird scent (weird in a good sense), and if this is your first foray into artisan stuff, then yes, you're jumping right in with Blackbird! If you have enough, slather yourself with it in the morning and then exercise later in the day (8 hours or so later) and see what happens.

I've been wearing this in the heat and it works just fine. There is some sweetness that I can't really pinpoint the notes. It definitely has a headshop vibe.

I wasn't sure how this one would be perceived but a couple of people said it's the best one out of my collection. My friend really wants a bottle but it's a little out of his budget right now.

I've been wearing this in the heat and it works just fine. There is some sweetness that I can't really pinpoint the notes. It definitely has a headshop vibe.

I wasn't sure how this one would be perceived but a couple of people said it's the best one out of my collection. My friend really wants a bottle but it's a little out of his budget right now.
    The pricing on this one has always been an issue. Last year, when a small group of us first began exploring the brand, Blackbird was only available in the rollerball size and a massive decanter thing—there was no middle ground. It's still an expensive perfume, but there's a lot going into it so it kind of makes sense.

Palm Beach's recent split made me happy as, even though the pricing wasn't drastically different, it allowed for greater accessibility for a lot of people to try it out. It was great to see so many people jump on board.

I discovered Blackbird at a fragrance event last year where, out of everything I tried, it was the clear standout. Phoenicia and Mik Moi were both there as well (two other lines worth exploring if you haven't done so yet), but Blackbird haunted me even though I only smelled it in passing. It's become a real staple for me as it's very much my style.

The pricing on this one has always been an issue. Last year, when a small group of us first began exploring the brand, Blackbird was only available in the rollerball size and a massive decanter thing—there was no middle ground. It's still an expensive perfume, but there's a lot going into it so it kind of makes sense.

Palm Beach's recent split made me happy as, even though the pricing wasn't drastically different, it allowed for greater accessibility for a lot of people to try it out. It was great to see so many people jump on board.

I discovered Blackbird at a fragrance event last year where, out of everything I tried, it was the clear standout. Phoenicia and Mik Moi were both there as well (two other lines worth exploring if you haven't done so yet), but Blackbird haunted me even though I only smelled it in passing. It's become a real staple for me as it's very much my style.
    I remember seeing the large decanter bottles and attar bottles when it first came out. I hesitated because of the pricing but recently traded for a 15ml bottle and bought a 30ml decant :-). It is very much my style of fragrance also.

I've tried Phoenicia but not Realoud which looks to be something I would enjoy.

Basenotes Plus

Dead, would like to hear more on Mikmoi.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Dead, would like to hear more on Mikmoi.
    I need to go through that line in more detail, but I tried them last year at FRAGments and was relatively impressed, but I had to smell everything so fast at that event. Then at the IAO awards this year I revisited Vesper and found it to be very solid again. It's supposed to be a wine type scent (I think), but it felt more like a CdG weirdo to me. Victoria wrote about them a couple of months ago here. I'll see if I can chase them down although my inbox currently overfloweth.

I totally get the leather note when I sprayed on a test strip. On my arm it smells like creosote. I now know what you mean by head shop leather too. I can't pick out the seaweed, or cannabis, but the overpowering note to me is that leather on the test strip.

Yes my first stab at artisan scents. I purposely bought this 3ml sample to educate myself, so I certainly do appreciate the guidance.

Interesting though is my test strip is sitting here and I applied a small drop of Blackbird on my wrist trying to compare the leather on the test strip to the drop on my wrist,

Basenotes Plus

I need to go through that line in more detail, but I tried them last year at FRAGments and was relatively impressed, but I had to smell everything so fast at that event. Then at the IAO awards this year I revisited Vesper and found it to be very solid again. It's supposed to be a wine type scent (I think), but it felt more like a CdG weirdo to me. Victoria wrote about them a couple of months ago here. I'll see if I can chase them down although my inbox currently overfloweth.
    CdG weirdo = good!

Just blind bought this one! What am I in for? How prominent is the Oud note?

You're in for a treat. Check out some of the reviews; Mick & deadidol hit the nail on the head. Personally, I don't find the oud note to be prominent, but it is there, mostly as a supporting note...definitely soft and subtle in the dry down when Blackbird hits this doughy muted wood and incense stage.

Just blind bought this one! What am I in for? How prominent is the Oud note?

Blackbird is indeed quite nice. Definitely worth a sniff.

The inkiest black scent I've ever smelled is also one of my top 5 of all time, SoOud's Burqa. Dark ink, dark florals, dark woods, myrrh and incense. And yet, it's somewhat sweet and not too dense, which makes it very very wearable. Perfect balance imo. Worth a sniff.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

A very well blended fragrance.
    You'll smell green-leather-oud-y sweet-wet with a slight dirty mysterious smell.

Long lasting on skin, screams quality.

Just blind bought this one! What am I in for?
    Fulfilment of blissful indulgence, nuff said.

How prominent is the Oud note?
    It's part & parcel of the composition, but remains balanced & subdued.

Has anyone else been disappointed by Blackbird? I recently have been wearing it and maybe it's the hyperbolic praise it's received and I was expecting to have to pick up my jaw from the floor, but I am very underwhelmed by it. To me it feels like about a dozen or so other resinous scents that have been released within the last five years (many of these scents begin with "Black"; and/or composed to convey black, darkness, or night). Not identical clones, per se, but far too similar to each other to warrant owning more than one (maybe two) of this type of scent.

Anyone else feel this way? Maybe I've just reached the saturation point on these quaint dark scents, but I feel like after sampling Blackbird I'm done for a long while with all these deep, dark, balsamic myrrh scents.

It sounds like you're burnt out on the whole genre...but I have found Blackbird to be very different and better than most anything else I've tried as far as balsamic-incense fragrances are concerned. Personally, I enjoy the high complexity of the scent and refinement of how the notes are used in conjunction with one another...leather intertwined with incense and green notes.

Quote Originally Posted by repose View Post
    Has anyone else been disappointed by Blackbird? I recently have been wearing it and maybe it's the hyperbolic praise it's received and I was expecting to have to pick up my jaw from the floor, but I am very underwhelmed by it. To me it feels like about a dozen or so other resinous scents that have been released within the last five years (many of these scents begin with "Black"; and/or composed to convey black, darkness, or night). Not identical clones, per se, but far too similar to each other to warrant owning more than one (maybe two) of this type of scent.

Anyone else feel this way? Maybe I've just reached the saturation point on these quaint dark scents, but I feel like after sampling Blackbird I'm done for a long while with all these deep, dark, balsamic myrrh scents.

I am very burnt on the genre! The majority of what I've sought out the last few years has been the resins/incense lot and I guess I'm finally bored with it. I'll try to hang onto what I've got and maybe revisit these when I'm ready.