Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Blackbird by Matriarch and Pandora by DSH perfume

Perhaps I'm still in the Honeymoon Phase (LOL) with Blackbird, but I'm really digging this fragrance. So much so, that I've got plans to get a 60ml bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by repose View Post
    Has anyone else been disappointed by Blackbird? I recently have been wearing it and maybe it's the hyperbolic praise it's received and I was expecting to have to pick up my jaw from the floor, but I am very underwhelmed by it. To me it feels like about a dozen or so other resinous scents that have been released within the last five years (many of these scents begin with "Black"; and/or composed to convey black, darkness, or night). Not identical clones, per se, but far too similar to each other to warrant owning more than one (maybe two) of this type of scent.

Anyone else feel this way? Maybe I've just reached the saturation point on these quaint dark scents, but I feel like after sampling Blackbird I'm done for a long while with all these deep, dark, balsamic myrrh scents.

Quote Originally Posted by repose View Post
    Has anyone else been disappointed by Blackbird? I recently have been wearing it and maybe it's the hyperbolic praise it's received and I was expecting to have to pick up my jaw from the floor, but I am very underwhelmed by it. To me it feels like about a dozen or so other resinous scents that have been released within the last five years (many of these scents begin with "Black"; and/or composed to convey black, darkness, or night). Not identical clones, per se, but far too similar to each other to warrant owning more than one (maybe two) of this type of scent.

Anyone else feel this way? Maybe I've just reached the saturation point on these quaint dark scents, but I feel like after sampling Blackbird I'm done for a long while with all these deep, dark, balsamic myrrh scents.
    No, you're not the only one. I recently blind bought a 60ml bottle based on the near universal praise and reviews and to be honest, I was a little underwhelmed and haven't been inspired to reach for it on a daily basis, like I normally would with a new fragrance (first tell tale sign). Admittedly it's a great fragrance, it just lacks a certain "X factor" which I can't but my finger on, which I'm still trying to ascertain.

My other gripe is that although I acknowledge that it's made up of mostly natural ingredients, it feels rather fleeting and shy for something in extrait formulation, it's not a patch on Puredistance M, which is in a slightly similar ball park (and price).

Basenotes Institution

I am wearing Blackbird today, I can see what all of the fuss is about.

The oud note is extremely well done, I haven't been this excited about a fragrance with oud in it since the Bond No 9 Harrods Oud with the crystals on the bottle. It's not very animalic oud but it's SUPER complex. I love how it keeps constantly shape-shifting into other accords all day.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Plus

I've been wearing Blackbird on and off for the past couple of weeks and I'm still super impressed. The beauty is in the eye of the beholder, of course, but I find it extremely complex, rich, very well made, constantly shifting accords that make you notice something new in it every few hours, and at the end of the day... very satisfying. It's not obnoxious or in-hour-face and trying to be "look at me, look at me!" type fragrance (though I have NO complaints about silage and longevity whatsoever). It's got a perfect balance of projection, masculinity, complexity, and what this fragrance does in a sea of other fragrances - it does very well. I'm usually somewhat disappointed in "natural" fragrances, they tend not to project or last terribly long (unless they are cooked up by Josh at Slumberhouse, some of those can last for days!), so if Blackbird does indeed have a lot of naturals - it's impressive that it both lasts and projects this nice. Of course we can't verify the claim of 300+ ingredients, but it does smell very complex and is constantly surprising me with some new notes or nuances when I wear it, always keeping things interesting... I like that, a lot. And for those afraid of the leather notes listed in it - fear not. It's more of an aromatic, oriental, woody, smoky, green fragrance, with the "leather" being perhaps just an abstract interpretation, not anything raw and animalistic.

Is it pricey? Yes, it sure is. But a little goes a long way, I find. It's in the same ballpark as Puredistance M, and although I like that one as well, I think Blackbird keeps things more interesting, overall.

I've had BB for little over a year now & have worn it a few times along with random days where i put on one spray - I get excellent longevity & silage too - the silage might be lost to us, the wearer, but people around constantly notice & compliment, even after 6hrs or so.

One of the most impressive & complex fragrance in the last few yrs...