Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Did any of you "70s girls" ever use body on tap shampoo?

An olfactory mystery maybe you ladies can help me with....

Junior high in the 70s, all the girls with long flowing feathered back hair, all Farrah fawcett like, lol. I remember a shampoo that was pretty popular called body on tap, it had beer in it allegedly and it smelled terrific to my hormone addled teenage brain.

Does anyone remember it and what was that fragrance and is there anything current that smells like it?

Saw "loves baby soft" in a discounter shop recently and had to smell it for old times sake, lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Default Re: Did any of you "70s girls" ever use body on tap shampoo?

No memory of that in the uk.

Loads of pics here.

Now this makes me laugh.... The smell was actually real Budweiser beer.

https://sites.google.com/site/ataplow/bodyontapshampoo
    Last edited by mumsy; 5th May 2014 at 01:17 AM.

Totally remember that! It was called Body On Tap because it supposedly contained beer - apparently the word was that rinsing your hair with beer was supposed to make it shiny.

And I can remember the smell, but I doubt I could describe it or think of anything that smells similar, sorry!

Shampoos smelled so much better then. I'm still mourning the original Clairol Herbal Essence - the green gel. But I did find that Revlon Flex is still available online, which has been fantastic. I order it by the crate now.

Blog Entries

l don't remember that in the UK either, but l do remember one called Linco Beer from around that time. l think my mum might have used it, but l don't recall how it smelled. Haven't seen it in years.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I remember the Linco Beer shampoo, it came in a little barrel thing. I never used it as I was a blond natural back then and used Anne French Lemon Shampoo.
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

I remember the lemon one

I didn't use Body on Tap, but I can understand your longing for that fragrance. I used Flex Balsam conditioner, and it really did smell like tree balsam back then. It filled the whole bathroom with steamy clouds of woody fragrance.

queen of the universe

Flex! Thanks for the olfactory memory, purplebird.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

I was a little kid when it was around, but I remember Body on Tap *very* fondly - I loved that fragrance! I always thought it smelled like hops, at least the first time I smelled hops I thought of Body on Tap, lol. But it was wonderful, very fresh and herbal and slightly flowery ...and maybe a bit like beer, but it'd have to be a very hoppy brew.

I liked the original Herbal Essences and Flex, too, but my favorite back then was Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific - now that was a beautiful smelling shampoo!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    I liked the original Herbal Essences and Flex, too, but my favorite back then was Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific - now that was a beautiful smelling shampoo!
    Those were my favorites, too, especially GYHST.

Never heard of the beer shampoo.

I vaguely remember (I was a kid) talking about using beer to wash hair. this being Italy, the idea was that it would make them blonder, a rare trait there. Which also reminds me of an old ad for Peroni beer in Italy, featuring a voluptuous, superblonde German woman uttering: Call me Peroni, I shall be your beer (the theme being blonde like a beer)
    See for instance the following video after 1:50
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcpH7ogNj9o

But back to perfume. I have not smelled said shampoo, so I wouldn't know. One perfume that smells a bit like beer is the fascinating Cuir Venenum by Parfumerie Generale. It smells like one of those complex Belgian beers (to me it reminds of certain lambics, Luca Turin mentions Leffe) which smell between delicious drinkable and dangerous poisons, the uncertainty being part of their appeal.

cacio
    Last edited by cacio; 5th May 2014 at 05:45 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Well, over the last couple of years since I have been paying a lot more attention to all matters olfactory, the smell of that shampoo still lingers in my data banks. And it did smell terrific! so did GYHST, as advertised!

Wella Balsam was another that I thought smelled really good.
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    But I did find that Revlon Flex is still available online, which has been fantastic. I order it by the crate now.
    OMG is that still around? I need some too. It was wonderful stuff. I had forgotten all about it. I remember Linco Beer shampoo as well. We all washed our hair in beer, which I think was supposed to give it body and shine, and also chamomile tea in an effort to make it more blond. I'm surprised we weren't all chased by bees for being sticky and sweet.

Basenotes Plus

I used actual beer too, mumsy!

OK girls. Out with the 1970's beauty treatments....

Do you remember being told that Vaseline was good for regrowing all the eyelashes that had got pulled out by the harsh removal of those awful waterproof lengthening mascaras that adhered like concrete? Made us look like we had spiders stuck on our eyes. Lol

Basenotes Plus

Haha - don't remember that one, mumsy!

Did you ever iron your hair?

Never ironed hair but we did do our jeans up using a friend and a coat hanger....

.....we had HUGE permed hair. Enormous and backcombed.....

[QUOTE=Kagey;3140869]Totally remember that! It was called Body On Tap because it supposedly contained beer - apparently the word was that rinsing your hair with beer was supposed to make it shiny.

And I can remember the smell, but I doubt I could describe it or think of anything that smells similar, sorry!

Shampoos smelled so much better then. I'm still mourning the original Clairol Herbal Essence - the green gel. But I did find that Revlon Flex is still available online, which has been fantastic. I order it by the crate now.[/QUOTE

Where do you buy the crate !!!???? Anyone know which shampoo even smells close to the smell of flex??!!

Amazon have it.... here and it's a balsamic sort of smell. I cannot remember exactly. I would need to smell it again to tell you what it might be.

... and tons on ebay for much cheaper

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_kw=flex+shampoo

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    I was a little kid when it was around, but I remember Body on Tap *very* fondly - I loved that fragrance! I always thought it smelled like hops, at least the first time I smelled hops I thought of Body on Tap, lol. But it was wonderful, very fresh and herbal and slightly flowery ...and maybe a bit like beer, but it'd have to be a very hoppy brew.

I don't remember Body on Tap at all. But Clairol Herbal Essences was fantastic! I wish that they still made that scent. It was like being in a pine forest!
    “Let the beauty we love, be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.” -Rumi