Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance newbie interested in creating a cologne

Hey everyone, I recently began collecting colognes and have a pretty substantial collection. However a few days ago I was at Macys and sampling some of the scents, when I realized that I was bored of all the same generic scents. I really want to make my own signature fragrance, one that stands apart from others. So I looked around and found this forum. I really could use some tips/ links to useful DIY guides and a rundown of tips from you guys, since you all seem really experienced. Also I am not sure how top middle and bottom notes work with DIY colognes. Also finally what would the budget need to be for starting materials.
    Thanks in advance, I'd really like to start this hobby it seems super fun.

Default Re: Fragrance newbie interested in creating a cologne

Hello Dave... Which pill do you want? The Red pill? Or the Blue pill?

Depending upon which pill you take will determine which rabbit hole you run down, and which version of the Matrix you subscribe to.

I'm glad you're bored with the standard fare.

But in reality, you are asking to go down a path that could take several years, to work out, and could obsessivley lead to spending thousands, or tens of thousands of dollars. (Or whatever currency you favor) But I'll warn you, 'taint cheap.

You might have a better time spent being a consumer of niche scents that break some rules, instead of trying to learn how to be a creator...
    but of course that's up to you...

I studied by myself, over the course of eight years, and have spent a LOT of money, and have released my own line of Perfumes. You might or might not be that ambitious, but the path is long, and expensive. You *can* get some fragrance oils, mix it up, make somethign for yourself fairly easily, cheaply, and quickly have a modicum of success. Your friends may even tell you that they like them too.

But to get to the level of making commercial scents that you now despise, will take a LONG time...

Blue Pill? or Red Pill?

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

To echo what Paul said, it will take thousands to get a set of Essential & Fragrance oils along with the Aroma Chemicals I bought to modify them, I was nearly put off by the amount of Aroma Chemicals used to make a Rose Accord, scary stuff to the untrained eye.

If you wanted to test the waters you could attempt to recreate a fragrance and then alter that, my first fragrance I recreated was Pamplemousse Rose, sadly I used Grapefruit Essential Oil!!!!! Back to my point, from recreating that you could modify it and give a twist on what I believe is a beautiful scent.

Default Fragrance newbie interested in creating a cologne

Just start with an accord one step at a time. You can buy 4 ml samples of aromachemicals from perfumers apprentice, they also have ready accords and formulas how to create them. keep in mind top notes, heart notes and base notes though.

For each you would need at least two to three or more aromas to assemble.

Just like Paul said, it is a journey.

good luck!

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk
    Last edited by perfectscent; 5th May 2014 at 02:40 PM.

Thanks for the advice! I understand that to make a professional level fragrance it would take years,
    However I was wondering if I could get maybe a starting set for under a 100, nothing fancy, just to get a feel for how it works, and honestley Ive already spent almost 600 dollars on colognes so expense isnt really a long term concern.

Dave, you can see if anything here strikes your fancy...
    http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/...onal-kits.aspx

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Hello Dave... Which pill do you want? The Red pill? Or the Blue pill?

Depending upon which pill you take will determine which rabbit hole you run down, and which version of the Matrix you subscribe to.

I'm glad you're bored with the standard fare.

But in reality, you are asking to go down a path that could take several years, to work out, and could obsessivley lead to spending thousands, or tens of thousands of dollars. (Or whatever currency you favor) But I'll warn you, 'taint cheap.

You might have a better time spent being a consumer of niche scents that break some rules, instead of trying to learn how to be a creator...
    but of course that's up to you...

I studied by myself, over the course of eight years, and have spent a LOT of money, and have released my own line of Perfumes. You might or might not be that ambitious, but the path is long, and expensive. You *can* get some fragrance oils, mix it up, make somethign for yourself fairly easily, cheaply, and quickly have a modicum of success. Your friends may even tell you that they like them too.

But to get to the level of making commercial scents that you now despise, will take a LONG time...

Blue Pill? or Red Pill?

PK
    I'll take the blue pill!

IS this perfumers apprentice website safe? Ive never heard of it

Yes Dave, it is a MAJOR supplier for us Perfumers..
    Completely trustworthy and a great supplier...

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Thank you so much this was exactly what I was looking for !
    But one final question if you dont mind, is this for a premade fragrance, or for messing around with and creating my own?

Messing around. Look around the site and see the premade accords here:
    http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/...nd-blends.aspx

These are bases and accords to use as larger building blocks.

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Thanks youve been super helpful,Ive ordered the Kit, plus a book on various notes and fragrances.Im really looking forward to getting started, hopefully one day I can make my own signature scent

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M. View Post
    Thanks youve been super helpful,Ive ordered the Kit, plus a book on various notes and fragrances.Im really looking forward to getting started, hopefully one day I can make my own signature scent

Good luck in your new hobby!

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M. View Post
    Good luck, you sound pretty ambitious and dedicated!

Basenotes Member

Good luck and have fun with it