Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance in Iran.

Hi all,

In the coming months I will be travelling to Iran for several weeks. I'd like some advice / suggestions on fragrances I should take / buy that would suit climate, culture etc. The weather at the time will be approaching summer.
    Has anyone travelled to Iran / living in Iran and if so what is available there for purchase?
    My girl is Persian but has no idea on frags other than, huh, aqua di Gio.
    I think it's different to other parts of the Middle East / Western Asia in that they don't tend to use Oud but I'm not sure.
    I have scents such as Costume National Homme which I think would suit but would like some reccomendations on others.
    Cheers.

Default Re: Fragrance in Iran.

Buy some saffron.

for swap/sale:

Adam you asked for fragrances, but if I went to Iran my search would be for real rose and real oud oils. The do use it, but maybe you'll have to look for it. A couple of years ago friend of mine got to visit her Persian family and brought me back 0.25 ounce of rose and the same amount of oud. Both are heavenly.

I asked my Iranian contacts and what they told me was that Versace and Burberry fragrances are currently very popular there. They also told me that while they are familiar with oud it's not as big there as it is in neighboring countries in the area (along the Gulf) This didn't surprise me as that's how I remembered it when I lived there in the late 70's. Finally they told me that there are many dealers that sell fakes so you have to be careful. They said that they would get back to me with the names of two high-end shops in Tehran and as soon as I get their names I'll pass them along. Moreover, the fact that the OP's girlfriend is Persian, is familiar with the country and culture and thus speaks Farsi will help greatly with weeding out the shady vendors from the honest ones.
    Last edited by hednic; 6th May 2014 at 12:08 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

We had an Iranian guy here a while back who was really into jasmine, and he remembered it strongly from his youth. I'm wondering if there are any regionally produced jasmine scents that might be of interest. I have often found smaller regional brands to be extremely interesting, and sometimes of surprisingly high quality. That may be true there as well.

But yes - watch out for fakes when traveling. I think that many common global commercial fragrances are repackaged and sold as "local" in some tourist areas.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Buy some saffron.
    Not sure how to take that.

Quote Originally Posted by BergamottoeBenzoino View Post
    Adam you asked for fragrances, but if I went to Iran my search would be for real rose and real oud oils. The do use it, but maybe you'll have to look for it. A couple of years ago friend of mine got to visit her Persian family and brought me back 0.25 ounce of rose and the same amount of oud. Both are heavenly.
    Thanks for the advice. I was not sure about these oils in Iran. I will be sure to seem them out on your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I asked my Iranian contacts and what they told me was that Versace and Burberry fragrances are currently very popular there. They also told me that while they are familiar with oud it's not as big there as it is in neighboring countries in the area (along the Gulf) This didn't surprise me as that's how I remembered it when I lived there in the late 70's. Finally they told me that there are many dealers that sell fakes so you have to be careful. They said that they would get back to me with the names of two high-end shops in Tehran and as soon as I get their names I'll pass them along. Moreover, the fact that the OP's girlfriend is Persian, is familiar with the country and culture and thus speaks Farsi will help greatly with weeding out the shady vendors from the honest ones.
    Thanks Hednic.
    Yes my girl is Iranian and speaks Farsi. She is all to aware of the fake goods in Iran, not just perfume but all products. She will be my translator and adviser while abroad.
    I would very appreciate it if you could pass on the names of those vendors if you have the time and means.
    Thanks for your efforts to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    We had an Iranian guy here a while back who was really into jasmine, and he remembered it strongly from his youth. I'm wondering if there are any regionally produced jasmine scents that might be of interest. I have often found smaller regional brands to be extremely interesting, and sometimes of surprisingly high quality. That may be true there as well.

But yes - watch out for fakes when traveling. I think that many common global commercial fragrances are repackaged and sold as "local" in some tourist areas.
    Thanks Redneck.
    I'll add jasmine to my list and try to seek this out. While I'm there I would like to find some things like this that cannot be had here. Cheers.

Iran does not really have a fragrance culture, typically people just use western fragrances there.
    They are known for Rose (from Kashan) and Saffron but that is used just for flavouring foods and making rose water.

Attar culture is primarily centered in the GCC , where the emphasis is on Oud blends
    and in Northern India, where the emphasis is on Sandalwood, Florals (Mogra, Rose, Tuberose,Jasmine,Kewra) and Vetivers.
    Last edited by vinramani09; 6th May 2014 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adam090273 View Post
    Not sure how to take that.
    A Persian man I knew would always bring back saffron when he visited Iran. He said it was much better than what you could get in the US, and from eating the food he made, I wouldn't argue. He also mentioned that you can get really good caviar there, from the Caspian Sea.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by adam090273 View Post
    Thanks Hednic.
    Yes my girl is Iranian and speaks Farsi. She is all to aware of the fake goods in Iran, not just perfume but all products. She will be my translator and adviser while abroad.
    I would very appreciate it if you could pass on the names of those vendors if you have the time and means.
    Thanks for your efforts to date.
    I was able to get the name of one of the places. He couldn't remember the other. Here it is:

The shop name's SAM CENTER Address is FERESHTEH street in TEHRAN

Hope this helps Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    A Persian man I knew would always bring back saffron when he visited Iran. He said it was much better than what you could get in the US, and from eating the food he made, I wouldn't argue. He also mentioned that you can get really good caviar there, from the Caspian Sea.
    True about the saffron but not necessarily the caviar. The really good caviar is all exported abroad to Europe and other parts of the world as it's a big hard currency product for Iran. What's available locally is mediocre at best and even that unfortunately is not within reach of the pockets of the average Iranian.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Fragrance wise, Iran is more known for their rose (gholab) fragrances. They're very strong/potent. Having said that, many people wear designer fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Iran does not really have a fragrance culture, typically people just use western fragrances there.
    They are known for Rose (from Kashan) and Saffron but that is used just for flavouring foods and making rose water.
    Attar culture is primarily centered in the GCC , where the emphasis is on Oud blends
    and in Northern India, where the emphasis is on Sandalwood, Florals (Mogra, Rose, Tuberose,Jasmine,Kewra) and Vetivers.
    Thanks Vinramani09. I will seek out some rose oil while there. Appreciate your input.

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    Yes Zatarain the food from Persia is something else. The way they cook rice is amazing. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I was able to get the name of one of the places. He couldn't remember the other. Here it is:

The shop name's SAM CENTER Address is FERESHTEH street in TEHRAN

Hope this helps Adam.

True about the saffron but not necessarily the caviar. The really good caviar is all exported abroad to Europe and other parts of the world as it's a big hard currency product for Iran. What's available locally is mediocre at best and even that unfortunately is not within reach of the pockets of the average Iranian.
    Thanks again Hednic. I spoke to my girl and she knows Sam Centre although she has not shopped there before. Your correct about the caviar, it's not really obtainable in quantity or quality by the average Iranian, but doesn't seem to bother them. Saffron however is amazing from Iran, we have a supply here at all times in Australia. You have been a great help, thanks for going out of your way for us.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Fragrance wise, Iran is more known for their rose (gholab) fragrances. They're very strong/potent. Having said that, many people wear designer fragrances.
    Thanks also to you CaliDude. I'll be sure to use your reference while I'm there.
    Last edited by adam090273; 7th May 2014 at 11:50 AM.