Code of Conduct

Default inexpensive sandalwood absolute

While shopping for sandalwood oil on edenbotanicals.com, I noticed that the New Caledonia absolute is about half the price of the essential oil. It says in the description that it smells like maple syrup, which would be very disagreeable to me. Does anyone have experience with this particular absolute or sandalwood absolute in general? Should I chance it with the absolute?

Question 2: How pleasant does sandalmysore core smell? Frankly, I don't care too much if it mimics the real thing or not, but I do care if it smells like harsh chemicals if that makes sense. For example, Iso E Super doesn't smell like anything in nature, but at the same time, it doesn't have a chemical harshness to it.
    Last edited by ToddHuyett; 5th May 2014 at 02:06 PM.

Default Re: inexpensive sandalwood absolute

Iíve not tried the absolute, so canít help with that, but I can reassure you that sandalmysore core (aka Santaliff) does not have a harsh smell at all - quite the reverse, itís very soft and pleasant.

To get the best from synthetic sandalwood materials though I think you need to blend them and I would use a little Javanol, some Ebanol and a touch of Methyl Laitone to round out the Santaliff.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

The New Caledonia is gorgeous. I use a few synthetics to turn up the volume a bit though.
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

Quote Originally Posted by wooznib View Post
    The New Caledonia is gorgeous. I use a few synthetics to turn up the volume a bit though.
    Me too, my sandalwood accord is based on Vanuatu Sandalwood but has a total of 22 ingredients: Iíve been told I should release it as a perfume in itís own right and Iím considering doing so.
    Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for

Anyone know where to buy Santaliff w/i the US or can you? I've typically used Javanol and Ebanol...
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW: Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD SSS Incense Pure / Slumberhouse & More...

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Anyone know where to buy Santaliff w/i the US or can you? I've typically used Javanol and Ebanol...
    Hermitage sell Santaliff and will supply to the US, but I imagine Perfumerís Apprentice have it too under one name or the other.
    Chris Bartlett

Thanks Chris!
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW: Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

Perfumers apprentice doesn't carry Santaliff. I'm in the US and I got mine from Creatingperfume.com. It's under the synonym Sandaxol. But it's the same thing. It's pretty cheap too a full ounce for 15 bucks. They have pretty good customer service and I always get my shipments quick.

Ah, thank you! I do have a sample of Sandaxol from Creatingperfume.com...good to know. Thanks again, Pharmacist_Blender!

Thanks a lot for your reply, Chris. After thinking it over, I opted for the sandalwood key accord sold on Perfumer's Apprentice, which contains Javanol, Ebanol, and Methyl Laitone, among a few other ingredients. The decision was based on my extremely low budget. As stated above, it's true that creatingperfume.com sells Santaliff (Sandaxol), so I'll try that one when I next place an order with them.

Oh, and since nobody seems to have tried sandalwood absolute, I suppose it'll have to be me.
    Last edited by ToddHuyett; 7th May 2014 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    Me too, my sandalwood accord is based on Vanuatu Sandalwood but has a total of 22 ingredients: I’ve been told I should release it as a perfume in it’s own right and I’m considering doing so.
    Do you not currently sell this in perfume form, Chirs? I checked your site and was unable to find any reference to a sandalwood.

I've tried eden's Sandalwood Absolute from New Caledonia. It's good and I don't find it to smell like maple syrup to be honest. It's a thick and creamy sandalwood with semi-sweet undertones. I can see where one might think...maple syrup...but it's not even close the the overtly sweet nature of maple syrup. Hope that helps...

Quote Originally Posted by ToddHuyett View Post
    Oh, and since nobody seems to have tried sandalwood absolute, I suppose it'll have to be me.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Do you not currently sell this in perfume form, Chirs? I checked your site and was unable to find any reference to a sandalwood.
    Iíve not put it up on the website as yet, but if you want some thereís no reason I canít make some up for you ;-)

In the meantime the basic accord is available from Hermitage as an ingredient.
    Chris Bartlett

I've tried eden's Sandalwood Absolute from New Caledonia. It's good and I don't find it to smell like maple syrup to be honest. It's a thick and creamy sandalwood with semi-sweet undertones. I can see where one might think...maple syrup...but it's not even close the the overtly sweet nature of maple syrup. Hope that helps...
    Thanks for letting me know. The price is certainly good, so based on what you have said, I'll give it a try. Perhaps it would add naturalness to synthetic sandalwood accords.

I’ve not put it up on the website as yet, but if you want some there’s no reason I can’t make some up for you ;-)

Your sandalwood accord looks interesting, Chris, and it also looks like something that would save a beginner like me a lot of time. I plan to order some supplies from Hermitage at some point in the near future (especially now that they have alpha irone in stock), so I'll certainly try your base.

Iíve not put it up on the website as yet, but if you want some thereís no reason I canít make some up for you ;-)

If I did get some from you Chris I'd be inclined to order your whole range at some point as it all looks very interesting. Do you have some sort of discovery sample set to your range?

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    If I did get some from you Chris I'd be inclined to order your whole range at some point as it all looks very interesting. Do you have some sort of discovery sample set to your range?
    Thatís very kind, Iím pleased you think so.

I do a Discover Pell Wall set, in which you can select nine items from the range (limited editions were excluded, but as Iíve sold out of the last of those that doesnít really make any difference now). You get a 10ml bottle of each one you select and they are currently quite a bargain at £49 for the set, if I do say so myself.

Discover-Pell-Wall small.jpg
    Iím actually using silver labels on these now as the clear ones were difficult to read in many cases.
    Chris Bartlett

ToddHuyett, if you do order the Sandalwood New Caledonia Absolute, I would suggest that you also acquire a bit of the New Caledonia Sandalwood Oil (Essential Oil) for the sake of comparison. The two have similarities to one another, but also quite noticeable differences.