Code of Conduct

Default Vintage shopping finds! Should I save for them? Houbigant ,Schiaparelli

I was out shopping with my Mom and Grandma last Saturday . We visited a antiques shop and a couple of thrift stores. At the antique shop they had a LOT of glass wares including one small standing display case with perfume bottles -most were empty ( fortunately tucked aways back from the window) in the closed wood cabinet underneath they had a few more .
    A few that caught my attention were a near full bottle of Houbigant Essence Rare in a faceted crystal bottle about the size of a tennis ball there is a quarter oz one on Ebay. Price was a bit steep for my pocket right now but I may save up for it($80 ooooch!). They also had a bottle of Schiaparelli's S with the frosted glass "s" raised on the bottle that was 2/3rds full and about the same size as a Lagerfeld Chloe .Also what looked like a package of Schiaparelli's perfume nips or a parfum mini in a box. ($35 for the S,not priced ,respectively) . Anyone know much about these? Are they worth it? Note I couldn't really smell all that well ,as I'm fighting a headcold and even Angel smells light.
    Last edited by bookwyrmsmith; 5th May 2014 at 06:35 PM.
    Fragrance Omnivore

Blog Entries

Default Re: Vintage shopping finds! Should I save for them? Houbigant ,Schiaparelli

The Essence Rare is a nice warm woody chypre along the lines of a darker, deeper Givenchy III. Very nice, IMO. It sounds like a jumbo bottle. I have a tiny one and I know even they go for big money. Not familiar with Schiaparelli.

Default Re: Vintage shopping finds! Should I save for them? Houbigant ,Schiaparelli

My personal recommendation would be in favor of this, most likely a worthy purchase.

I'd go back when you're over your head cold and get a good whiff to see f they strike your fancy. The price doesn't seem all that steep considering.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I absolutely adore Schiaparelli Shocking. However, most commonly, the top notes are gone off, so a sniff won't likely tell you much. I've found though, that after it's on the skin, it wears like a dream. It's an animalic kind of scent, so if you like those, it's a great one to get! Good luck! OH, and that does seem a good price.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Blog Entries

BTW, whenever you have a chance to buy those Nips- the glass kind that you have to break open- do it, but don't pay a lot. They are very fresh inside, I've found because they are vacuum sealed. But many times the glass vials are un identified so that is troubling.I had a wonderful 'Miss Dior' Nip that was out of this world. So fresh! Of course you use the whole thing in one go so you must be committed. I suppose you could pour it into a vial.
    Last edited by kumquat; 6th May 2014 at 04:49 PM.

I think I wasn't quite clear about the Schiaparelli in box it was in a velvet box with the indent for the lipstick tube shaped packaging this inner packaging hadn't been opened yet so I'm not sure if it is a parfum mini or perfume nips inside.

Forgot to mention they also had some vintage EA Blue Grass too. I wasn't as interested in it so I didn't note the prices. There were also some empties of Youth Dew, Evening in Paris,and a mostly full 1oz Lolita Lempicka (sp?)that was $25 no box ( can find that NIB at discounters for the same or less). They had a whole lot of ornate glassware that I think was Chechloslovakian .
    Fragrance Omnivore

I think it's more likely that it's perfume nips . When I shook the tube shaped packaging something rattled inside. Also the tube was plastic not metal which makes me think sample nips ,versus parfum mini which I would think would be packaged in a fancier .
    Fragrance Omnivore

Blog Entries

Yes, that sounds like Nips. I've seen them in tubes.