Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Astronomical prices

Why are certain colognes priced at ASTRONOMICAL prices that most of the general public can't afford,I never understood that,in my opinion it makes no sense.Thank God for samples,smh....

Default Re: Astronomical prices

Certain fragrances from certain houses simply target different segments in society. Perhaps with certain fragrances there is limited supply and great demand and perhaps there is also an appearance of exclusivity attached to certain fragrances. Just a guess.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Maybe it's because of fragrance concentration (Eau De Parfum/Pure Parfums). Which means you can spray less, thus, more bang for your buck.

Unless there are EDT's (Eau De Toilette's) priced over $150 that I don't know about.

Quote Originally Posted by derekbgreene View Post
    Why are certain colognes priced at ASTRONOMICAL prices that most of the general public can't afford,I never understood that,in my opinion it makes no sense.Thank God for samples,smh....
    They are not not made for the general public.

I've noticed that most of the bestsellers in the UK are getting more expensive. E.g:
    Dior Homme 50ml used to be £43. Now it's £47.
    Diesel Fuel for Life 30 ml was £24. Now it's £30. 50ml was £30. Now it's £38.
    I would have thought that over time these might decrease in price a bit. What gets me is the overpricing of Armani. £46 for 50ml AdG!

Quote Originally Posted by papillo View Post
    They are not not made for the general public.
    I concur with this statement.

er, what?
    why are so many X made that people can't afford? Couldn't I say this about ANYTHING?
    This is a completely strange argument you're making. and you haven't even laid out specifics like what price point you're talking about.

Everyone has different wants, needs, and resources, ie values. And actually as far as perfume goes it's one of the most affordable luxuries out there. Try buy an amazing home (millions), or car (hundreds of thousands) or jewelry (tens of thousands) or hand bags (thousands) etc... perfume is like $50-250 a pop and lasts for years. How many people spend $1000+ a month on rent and then scoff at $150-200 perfumes.

Actually perfume is extremely affordable, it just comes down to values.

if anything, I would make the case that perfume is TOO cheap - that's its biggest problem. It used to be a luxury and there was only one way to do it, high quality, but now it's a race to the bottom so people only want to spend X amount, and they're the 99% and they don't even know what real perfume is, and the technology is there now to give them something that's such a quick and dirty version (a 1000 new releases a year) of what perfume is even meant to be that it's like the sounds of perfume as a luxury dying. The 1000 releases are the echo of that final sigh before perfume as an art emits it's last beautiful thoughtful well-constructed breath and instead we're left with a pile of oversold underdelivering crap that's all show and no substance. Blah, I'm getting all wound up. Time to go take a walk.

(drops mic and steps off soapbox)
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir - PATCHOULI ABSOLU
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress, Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura, Azure Lime, Champacca Absolute

HARD TO FIND - Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Basenotes Plus

Basic economic principles - Supply v Demand
    Currently wearing: Epic Man by Amouage

If the value for money is directly proportional to the price (though value can be extremely subjective), it might add up.

There can be many factors and most of them have nothing to do with the juice itself - but however I personally could not care less of any scent above 150 EUR/50 ML, whatever Godlike heavenly juice it may contain (better say: I happily try them with samples, I would never ever buy them new).

My sales thread | Rare, discontinued & vintage stuff!

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Do you know the old saying about having to ask the price? LOL.

It's all about the Marketing Mix. They're simply targeting a particular segment of society. The pricing strategies they use will depend on a number of things; production costs, perceived added value, what the market can bear, branding, greed lol
    What I'd like to try
    Prices Rreduced!UK Only:Kilian Incense Oud, Pure Oud/Ensar Oud/Tom Ford

My UK Swapsies!

Need 2 Roja caps if anyone can help. Muchas gracias

Current favourites:
    Frederic Malle The Night
    Creed Spice and Wood
    Creed Pure White Cologne
    Kilian Extreme Oud
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    Roja Dove UAE
    Roja Dove Fetish Pour Homme/Puredistance M
    Armani Prive Oud Royal
    Ormonde Jayne Black Gold

Basenotes Junkie

There are fragrances available at all price points, the best thing to do if you feel uncomfortable liking expensive fragrances is to stay away from them. If you dont percieve fragrance to be something of a luxury treat item for yourself or your not very serious about it as a hobby then do not explore those fragrances, I cant see any point being curious about things you have no desire to no about.

To be honest as mentioned above this question is quite pointless, there will always be expensive products and more affordable products in all areas, whether that be a pair of jeans or a car, or a house, or buying steak for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbloke View Post
    It's all about the Marketing Mix. They're simply targeting a particular segment of society. The pricing strategies they use will depend on a number of things; production costs, perceived added value, what the market can bear, branding, greed lol

This is true.

For most people Chanel, Gucci, D&G... are considered top quality and exclusivity. If Amouage competed with them at the same price and in the same stores, It wouldn't be perceived as the luxury brand it is. They aim to certain segments of the society, as well as fragrance connoisseurs, they don't try to compete with famous designers in stores shelves, they just wouldn't get better results that way.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basenotes Junkie

Who cares how expensive an amouage fragrance is, i certainly dont. There is no comparrison between an amouage fragrance and chanel bleu or allure homme sport or gucci guilty lol. Thats totally irrelevant.

people will pay what they think its worth, if they didnt higher end brands would be out of buisness, and many unsuccesful niche brands of any product genre most certainly do go out of buisness fast if there not good at what there doing.

Anyway, this is just a complaint: i've seen new brands keep appearing in the market lately, and all of them with very high price points, but no history behind. Just brands that hire a perfumer to make 5-6 fragrances they sell for 200$ or more, many of them quite far from that price tag in terms of quality. It's like the competition were aiming at the niche market, due to the saturation of the classic designer sector. This worries me.

Basenotes Plus

That does appear to be quite a noticeable trend.

Quote Originally Posted by DMA View Post
    Who cares how expensive an amouage fragrance is, i certainly dont. There is no comparrison between an amouage fragrance and chanel bleu or allure homme sport or gucci guilty lol. Thats totally irrelevant.

people will pay what they think its worth, if they didnt higher end brands would be out of buisness, and many unsuccesful niche brands of any product genre most certainly do go out of buisness fast if there not good at what there doing.

My point is that, for many people (well most people, non fragrance aficionados), brands like Amouage, Lutens, Malle, Montale... are nothing compared to old good Dior, Chanel, Gucci because they prefer to wear those famous brands which they perceive as the best and most trendy through all kind of media. The marketing mix of high luxury niche brands is a matter of survival, they need to set a price tag that reflects exclusivity and they need to be sold in few, selective places.

I used Amouage as an example, but many brands have not the quality of Amouage and their price tag is similar or even higher.

Trust me, if I just told a friend that Amouage is better than Chanel or Dior, he'd think i'm crazy, just because he doesn't know about fragrance, many people percieve more added value wearing a Gaultier to a disco than saying he is wearing not so famous brand. Most of that people wouldn't read this forum though.
    Last edited by Postumo; 5th May 2014 at 11:44 PM.

Basenotes Junkie

Well, thats clearly people that have no desire to explore the world of perfume then isnt it, because chanels latest standard range offerings are quite laughable in my opinion, there as big a cuplrit as anyone else as creating this two tier market along with dior, tapping into the more expensive niche side of things with there exclusives line, they are not angels that are providing an exemplary service for all while more expensive brands are the devil, if thats what you are impying, every single one of these companys from davidoff to clive christian are making lots of money, period!

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Certain fragrances from certain houses simply target different segments in society...
    Agreed. The reality is that many people will not wear a fragrance they think is too cheap, or too common.
    Who wants to wear a fragrance popular with the Riff Raff?

The "recent" wave of uber-priced designer (eg Tom Ford) and niche houses are tapping into this basic human instinct.
    For example, some Tom Ford fragrances are pleasant crowd-pleasers, but IMO, the quality of ingredients and artistry is no better than many fragrances that cost a fraction of the price.

Obviously a small player cannot match the economies of scale of the larger fragrance houses, so their prices will be higher - but there is a limit to what my logical mind can handle.
    I care about the juice and am not persuaded by luxury marketing.
    When I know there is a higher percentage of costly ingredients, I expect to pay more.
    When I know there is a higher percentage of costly marketing, I refuse to pay more.

Fragrance "civilians" may truly believe that they are getting a superior quality juice when they pay a higher price.
    Longer standing Basenoters will realise that this is simply untrue and that uber-pricing is usually the price of marketing and exclusivity.
    I value quality ingredients and artistry.
    Others value exclusivity and marketing.
    We all select based on what is important to us and all opinions are valid.
    Last edited by musky_monkey; 5th May 2014 at 11:54 PM.

Basenotes Junkie

The reality is that people will not wear a fragrance that they think is to cheap is just not true, the most common fragrances you can smell around the Uk are still fragrances like One Million and JPG Le Male, the Guccis etc and just about everything else you can think of in that spectrum.

The reality is that people will not wear a fragrance that they think is to cheap is just not true, the most common fragrances you can smell around the Uk are still fragrances like One Million and JPG Le Male, the Guccis etc and just about everything else you can think of in that spectrum.
    I think you will find that to most fragrance "civilians", these are not considered cheap fragrances.
    Many, many people actually think the modern Gucci men's fragrances are good!

No, I'm not meaning that. Just meaning that, for most people, wearing Chanel, Gaultier or Rabanne is top luxury as they're brands everyone knows and you can see everywhere. Niche brands are not known or popular to many people who prefer to feel cool wearing a well known brand like Gucci.

This people is not so into fragrance as many of us are, they feel cool enough with their designer and just don't know if Amouage or Malle are high end luxury or unknown brands you could find in any supermarket. This is why niche brands aim to different segments of the society, for them it's impossible to compete (marketing wise) with big brands like chanel, dior, gaultier, etc...so they aim to other market. That's why they set a high pricetag, to be considererd exclusive. They just don't aim to sell as much a CK or Rabanne, they want to be best sellers in a much smaller market, where they get better results than those they'd get if they'd try to compete head to head with big designer names.

I've showed some friends good niche fragrances and some liked them, but when I told them the price, most of them said "no way I'm paying for this this much more than I pay for Chanel" "you know chanel is chanel (or dior is dior, gaultier is gaultier, whatever) and nobody knows this brand [insert niche brand here]. It's just a matter of how different people percieve added value of fragrances. You want the quality of an Amouage, others just want to feel cool saying "i'm wearing the latest gucci, everyone loves it". Niche brands just don't try to sell among these people, and I hope it keeps that way

I don't know DMA, i'm not american, but I know that magazines, TV shows, etc. etc. still portray designer brands like chanel, dior, or gucci as best of bests, and most people perceive it that way. Media has a lot of influence and many people prefer wearing CK T-shirt or a YSL fragrance, trendy items, to spend money in brands that are not popular and, smellwise, quite more complex. Just look at any Top 10 sellers list in any country of the world.

Basenotes Junkie

well im sorry mod if the tone sounds wrong but it is the truth, if there a difference in culture between countries then people need to understand the reality of those differencies, there is no point trying to brainwash people reading this website that its any different, unless you want your website to be one big lie.

Basenotes Plus

There's a world of difference between pointing out cultural differences and breaking rules.

Well, no offence but your from the land of america, you can say what you like, in the UK this is normal, consumerism in the UK isnt about discount retailers and customers demanding bargains even if that means buying things that the rest of the world lost interst in ten years ago, the UK is very different, and im glad we are different. Nobody desires to walk around in the UK smelling of kouros or chanels anteus, people like to at least as they percieve it keep up to modern trends to some degree, even if there paying normal high street prices.

You are talking to someone from england, we dont go to gigantic warehouses to do our food shopping and buy 10 jars of some unheard of name brand of something for the store cupboard just to save 2 dollars, we do everything differently here, and it would stand you in good stead to always remember that...
    I think he's from Australia. I laughed regardless.

Basenotes Plus

That too.

Basenotes Junkie

well i apologise if ive caused offence to anybody, that was never my intent, maybe i put my point across in the wrong manner but its still important that i told the truth unless you want the public to be decieved and think we live life differently, when generally speaking we dont.