Code of Conduct

Default Astronomical prices

Why are certain colognes priced at ASTRONOMICAL prices that most of the general public can't afford,I never understood that,in my opinion it makes no sense.Thank God for samples,smh....

Default Re: Astronomical prices

Certain fragrances from certain houses simply target different segments in society. Perhaps with certain fragrances there is limited supply and great demand and perhaps there is also an appearance of exclusivity attached to certain fragrances. Just a guess.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Maybe it's because of fragrance concentration (Eau De Parfum/Pure Parfums). Which means you can spray less, thus, more bang for your buck.

Unless there are EDT's (Eau De Toilette's) priced over $150 that I don't know about.

Quote Originally Posted by derekbgreene View Post
    Why are certain colognes priced at ASTRONOMICAL prices that most of the general public can't afford,I never understood that,in my opinion it makes no sense.Thank God for samples,smh....
    They are not not made for the general public.

I've noticed that most of the bestsellers in the UK are getting more expensive. E.g:
    Dior Homme 50ml used to be £43. Now it's £47.
    Diesel Fuel for Life 30 ml was £24. Now it's £30. 50ml was £30. Now it's £38.
    I would have thought that over time these might decrease in price a bit. What gets me is the overpricing of Armani. £46 for 50ml AdG!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Flatbush Ave View Post
    Unless there are EDT's (Eau De Toilette's) priced over $150 that I don't know about.
    There are LOTS of EDTs in the $150+ range. Dior, Chanel, The Different Company, Comme des Garcons, Penhaligon's, L'Artisan Parfumeur - just a few that come to mind that have lots of stuff in EDT concentration, even north of $300 for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by papillo View Post
    I concur with this statement.

er, what?
    why are so many X made that people can't afford? Couldn't I say this about ANYTHING?
    This is a completely strange argument you're making. and you haven't even laid out specifics like what price point you're talking about.

Everyone has different wants, needs, and resources, ie values. And actually as far as perfume goes it's one of the most affordable luxuries out there. Try buy an amazing home (millions), or car (hundreds of thousands) or jewelry (tens of thousands) or hand bags (thousands) etc... perfume is like $50-250 a pop and lasts for years. How many people spend $1000+ a month on rent and then scoff at $150-200 perfumes.

Actually perfume is extremely affordable, it just comes down to values.

if anything, I would make the case that perfume is TOO cheap - that's its biggest problem. It used to be a luxury and there was only one way to do it, high quality, but now it's a race to the bottom so people only want to spend X amount, and they're the 99% and they don't even know what real perfume is, and the technology is there now to give them something that's such a quick and dirty version (a 1000 new releases a year) of what perfume is even meant to be that it's like the sounds of perfume as a luxury dying. The 1000 releases are the echo of that final sigh before perfume as an art emits it's last beautiful thoughtful well-constructed breath and instead we're left with a pile of oversold underdelivering crap that's all show and no substance. Blah, I'm getting all wound up. Time to go take a walk.

(drops mic and steps off soapbox)
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Basic economic principles - Supply v Demand

If the value for money is directly proportional to the price (though value can be extremely subjective), it might add up.

There can be many factors and most of them have nothing to do with the juice itself - but however I personally could not care less of any scent above 150 EUR/50 ML, whatever Godlike heavenly juice it may contain (better say: I happily try them with samples, I would never ever buy them new).
    My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Knize - Knize Ten Golden Edition
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme I (vtg)
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Do you know the old saying about having to ask the price? LOL.

It's all about the Marketing Mix. They're simply targeting a particular segment of society. The pricing strategies they use will depend on a number of things; production costs, perceived added value, what the market can bear, branding, greed lol

There are fragrances available at all price points, the best thing to do if you feel uncomfortable liking expensive fragrances is to stay away from them. If you dont percieve fragrance to be something of a luxury treat item for yourself or your not very serious about it as a hobby then do not explore those fragrances, I cant see any point being curious about things you have no desire to no about.

To be honest as mentioned above this question is quite pointless, there will always be expensive products and more affordable products in all areas, whether that be a pair of jeans or a car, or a house, or buying steak for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbloke View Post
    It's all about the Marketing Mix. They're simply targeting a particular segment of society. The pricing strategies they use will depend on a number of things; production costs, perceived added value, what the market can bear, branding, greed lol

This is true.

For most people Chanel, Gucci, D&G... are considered top quality and exclusivity. If Amouage competed with them at the same price and in the same stores, It wouldn't be perceived as the luxury brand it is. They aim to certain segments of the society, as well as fragrance connoisseurs, they don't try to compete with famous designers in stores shelves, they just wouldn't get better results that way.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who cares how expensive an amouage fragrance is, i certainly dont. There is no comparrison between an amouage fragrance and chanel bleu or allure homme sport or gucci guilty lol. Thats totally irrelevant.

people will pay what they think its worth, if they didnt higher end brands would be out of buisness, and many unsuccesful niche brands of any product genre most certainly do go out of buisness fast if there not good at what there doing.

Anyway, this is just a complaint: i've seen new brands keep appearing in the market lately, and all of them with very high price points, but no history behind. Just brands that hire a perfumer to make 5-6 fragrances they sell for 200$ or more, many of them quite far from that price tag in terms of quality. It's like the competition were aiming at the niche market, due to the saturation of the classic designer sector. This worries me.

That does appear to be quite a noticeable trend.

Quote Originally Posted by DMA View Post
    Who cares how expensive an amouage fragrance is, i certainly dont. There is no comparrison between an amouage fragrance and chanel bleu or allure homme sport or gucci guilty lol. Thats totally irrelevant.

people will pay what they think its worth, if they didnt higher end brands would be out of buisness, and many unsuccesful niche brands of any product genre most certainly do go out of buisness fast if there not good at what there doing.

My point is that, for many people (well most people, non fragrance aficionados), brands like Amouage, Lutens, Malle, Montale... are nothing compared to old good Dior, Chanel, Gucci because they prefer to wear those famous brands which they perceive as the best and most trendy through all kind of media. The marketing mix of high luxury niche brands is a matter of survival, they need to set a price tag that reflects exclusivity and they need to be sold in few, selective places.

I used Amouage as an example, but many brands have not the quality of Amouage and their price tag is similar or even higher.

Trust me, if I just told a friend that Amouage is better than Chanel or Dior, he'd think i'm crazy, just because he doesn't know about fragrance, many people percieve more added value wearing a Gaultier to a disco than saying he is wearing not so famous brand. Most of that people wouldn't read this forum though.
    Last edited by Postumo; 5th May 2014 at 11:44 PM.

Well, thats clearly people that have no desire to explore the world of perfume then isnt it, because chanels latest standard range offerings are quite laughable in my opinion, there as big a cuplrit as anyone else as creating this two tier market along with dior, tapping into the more expensive niche side of things with there exclusives line, they are not angels that are providing an exemplary service for all while more expensive brands are the devil, if thats what you are impying, every single one of these companys from davidoff to clive christian are making lots of money, period!

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Certain fragrances from certain houses simply target different segments in society...
    Agreed. The reality is that many people will not wear a fragrance they think is too cheap, or too common.
    Who wants to wear a fragrance popular with the Riff Raff?

The "recent" wave of uber-priced designer (eg Tom Ford) and niche houses are tapping into this basic human instinct.
    For example, some Tom Ford fragrances are pleasant crowd-pleasers, but IMO, the quality of ingredients and artistry is no better than many fragrances that cost a fraction of the price.

Obviously a small player cannot match the economies of scale of the larger fragrance houses, so their prices will be higher - but there is a limit to what my logical mind can handle.
    I care about the juice and am not persuaded by luxury marketing.
    When I know there is a higher percentage of costly ingredients, I expect to pay more.
    When I know there is a higher percentage of costly marketing, I refuse to pay more.

Fragrance "civilians" may truly believe that they are getting a superior quality juice when they pay a higher price.
    Longer standing Basenoters will realise that this is simply untrue and that uber-pricing is usually the price of marketing and exclusivity.
    I value quality ingredients and artistry.
    Others value exclusivity and marketing.
    We all select based on what is important to us and all opinions are valid.
    Last edited by musky_monkey; 5th May 2014 at 11:54 PM.

The reality is that people will not wear a fragrance that they think is to cheap is just not true, the most common fragrances you can smell around the Uk are still fragrances like One Million and JPG Le Male, the Guccis etc and just about everything else you can think of in that spectrum.

The reality is that people will not wear a fragrance that they think is to cheap is just not true, the most common fragrances you can smell around the Uk are still fragrances like One Million and JPG Le Male, the Guccis etc and just about everything else you can think of in that spectrum.
    I think you will find that to most fragrance "civilians", these are not considered cheap fragrances.
    Many, many people actually think the modern Gucci men's fragrances are good!

No, I'm not meaning that. Just meaning that, for most people, wearing Chanel, Gaultier or Rabanne is top luxury as they're brands everyone knows and you can see everywhere. Niche brands are not known or popular to many people who prefer to feel cool wearing a well known brand like Gucci.

This people is not so into fragrance as many of us are, they feel cool enough with their designer and just don't know if Amouage or Malle are high end luxury or unknown brands you could find in any supermarket. This is why niche brands aim to different segments of the society, for them it's impossible to compete (marketing wise) with big brands like chanel, dior, gaultier, etc...so they aim to other market. That's why they set a high pricetag, to be considererd exclusive. They just don't aim to sell as much a CK or Rabanne, they want to be best sellers in a much smaller market, where they get better results than those they'd get if they'd try to compete head to head with big designer names.

I've showed some friends good niche fragrances and some liked them, but when I told them the price, most of them said "no way I'm paying for this this much more than I pay for Chanel" "you know chanel is chanel (or dior is dior, gaultier is gaultier, whatever) and nobody knows this brand [insert niche brand here]. It's just a matter of how different people percieve added value of fragrances. You want the quality of an Amouage, others just want to feel cool saying "i'm wearing the latest gucci, everyone loves it". Niche brands just don't try to sell among these people, and I hope it keeps that way

I don't know DMA, i'm not american, but I know that magazines, TV shows, etc. etc. still portray designer brands like chanel, dior, or gucci as best of bests, and most people perceive it that way. Media has a lot of influence and many people prefer wearing CK T-shirt or a YSL fragrance, trendy items, to spend money in brands that are not popular and, smellwise, quite more complex. Just look at any Top 10 sellers list in any country of the world.

well im sorry mod if the tone sounds wrong but it is the truth, if there a difference in culture between countries then people need to understand the reality of those differencies, there is no point trying to brainwash people reading this website that its any different, unless you want your website to be one big lie.

There's a world of difference between pointing out cultural differences and breaking rules.

Well, no offence but your from the land of america, you can say what you like, in the UK this is normal, consumerism in the UK isnt about discount retailers and customers demanding bargains even if that means buying things that the rest of the world lost interst in ten years ago, the UK is very different, and im glad we are different. Nobody desires to walk around in the UK smelling of kouros or chanels anteus, people like to at least as they percieve it keep up to modern trends to some degree, even if there paying normal high street prices.

You are talking to someone from england, we dont go to gigantic warehouses to do our food shopping and buy 10 jars of some unheard of name brand of something for the store cupboard just to save 2 dollars, we do everything differently here, and it would stand you in good stead to always remember that...
    I think he's from Australia. I laughed regardless.

That too.

well i apologise if ive caused offence to anybody, that was never my intent, maybe i put my point across in the wrong manner but its still important that i told the truth unless you want the public to be decieved and think we live life differently, when generally speaking we dont.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatbush Ave View Post
    I think he's from Australia. I laughed regardless.
    Thank you for laughing and seeing the funny side Flatbush, i never ment any offence, the tone of what i was trying to say i can see reads in not a good way, i hope you can see what i was trying to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by papillo View Post
    But why aren't they made for the general public,thats the big question?????

I think I understand, if your point is that the new wave of high end 'niche' like lines, for example from designer houses (Boss, Cartier, Zegna) are overpriced and just cashing in on the trend.... that point I understand. Meaning the designer houses even if they're watered down versions of their old selves, at least there's a real history and brand there, but these new pretend ones are fake, then that point I get. But there are also many niche lines that are actually producing interesting (I don't say good) stuff and more of the asking price in theory is being directed to numerous 'real' activities like R&D, smaller production runs, packaging, etc instead of marketing.

but if your point is just that there's a lot of expensive perfume out there and it's crazy to expect people to pay for anything over $X, then see my earlier post
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Seriously?

Why aren't Ferraris made for the general public?
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Basenotes Plus

Why isn't the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport made for "general public"? (U$2.7 million)

I'll take it several notches down... why isn't Rolls Royce Phantom made for "general public"? (a mere U$474,000, bargain by comparison)

-
    From 2008

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    the_good_life,

If I may, have you every thought of taking your truly excellent demystification skills, not to mention your wonderfully pellucid prose, and turning to the dark side by offering up such skills and prose for the purposes of obfuscation. I think there are a lot of niche companies out there who would reward you handsomely for such a turn. At least their copy would have the virtue of historical accuracy, grammatical probity, and some credibility. For one, I am glad you are on our side. We are lucky, indeed, to have such intelligent, informed fine writing on Basenotes to guide us in our choices.

I too am somewhat amazed, given the current swarm of niche companies that has descended on consumers, but I suspect there are a couple of reasons this is so: there are probably a lot of deep pockets behind such enterprises, one generation spending another's hard earned gains, you know, trust fund kids, etc.; at last count, the wealthy of this world generally spent $30,000.00 per annum per person just on shoes and handbags. One thing we tend to forget when the rest of us are left struggling with meager and shrinking wages and salaries, is that at the same time, all over the world, there are still a number of people who are making inordinately obscene amounts of money (for the American context of this phenomenon, I recommend Richard Frank's Richistan: A Journey Through the American Wealth Boom and the Lives of the New Rich.). The new rich have deep bountiful pockets, but I guess we need to wait and see just how far this recession will go and just how deeps those pockets are.
    It's hard to think of designer fragrances as aspirational anymore, expect maybe celebrity fragrances and I think that niche brands have now become mainstream and are the new aspirational brands of the fragrance industry. This at least begins to explain why a lot of designer fragrance companies are reinventing themselves part purveyors of niche fragrances. It's clear when a brand has achieved aspirational status, people will spend money they can't really afford to buy it. Just how much more money they can't afford to spend on niche remains to be seen.

Finally, to quote the title of one my favorite books, there's always the "glamour of backwardness." Niche as escape into the past? Sure, why not? What you've shown is that these niche companies really expect ill-informed nouveau riche/nouveau niche tourist types to take the ride backwards into a purer past and to pay handsomely for doing so. Like you, I prefer to take it easy, to foot it, to look straight ahead instead of backwards and to stop, every now and then, to smell the roses on the way.

Again, thank you for being our steady guide.

scentemental

With respect, I completely disagree with the comparisons to high performance vehicles.
    I refuse to accept that MPG, L'Artisan, Diptyque, Aramis, YSL, Guerlain, Chanel, Hermes, PdN etc are Toyotas and that uber-priced fragrances like Tom Ford are Ferraris.
    This is absolute nonsense.
    Ferrari have built prestige by building cars that accelerate harder, travel faster, turn sharper and look better than average cars.
    Much of this can be objectively measured and in so doing justifying a much higher price point.
    I can select a number of sub $100 fragrances that last longer, have greater silage and smell better than many of the uber priced fragrances.

After many years on these boards, I have never seen any evidence that can justify the current wave of uber-pricing based on quality of ingredients.
    What I can see is that some people are prepared to pay uber prices for exclusivity and marketing that gives them a warm, fuzzy feeling (and there is nothing wrong with this if you can afford it and this feeling is something you value).
    Obviously the cost to produce certain fragrance is higher due to rarer ingredients, but I have never seen anyone present a costs case to justify the current wave of uber prices.

If you insist on using a car comparison, then it would be more correct to say that MPG, Diptyque, Aramis, Guerlain, Chanel, Hermes, PdN etc are Toyotas... and that fragrances from houses like Tom Ford are also Toyotas, but that your model will be a limited edition that no one you know will be driving, so you will feel special about your Toyota.... you will have to pay much more to be the only person you know with this limited edition, but if that makes you happy, Tom Ford is happy to please you.

I may be proven wrong, but after several years on these boards, this is how I see it.

One persons cheap is another persons expensive. I will buy a good fragrance that I love in the $300 range, but some prices are simply ridiculous! There is no way I will spend $1000 on a Roja Dove perfume. For heavens sake, that is simply not reasonable even for a split or a sample. But there are people that make a million a month or more that will. It's economics and, well, something I don't dare say. A fool and his money are soon parted. For that much money I would rather take a vacation. Annd I agree with the above post. Quality ingredients do not account for prices like that. It is a matter of greed and a way to seperate cash from the super rich in an attempt to become super rich.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Leaving aside collectors pieces in diamond encrusted bottles, there aren't really any astronomically priced scents, relative to say clothes.

The dearest I've come across was Clive Christian at 580 Euros (A$880) a bottle. That's around nine times the full price of a typical department store scent. Most other expensive scents aren't that dear.

But on the top floor of a department store here, I've seen jumpers for sale for A$6000 - which is 50 to 100 times the prices of their more typical good jumpers.

And there is one store here that sells neckties for A$400 each. I've only ever paid $20 for my ties (possibly because I hate neckties).

I'm sure that someone will come up with some scent that costs 50 to 100 times more than the typical department store scent, but it would be such a rarity that I think it immaterial to the general thrust of the discussion.

Regards,
    Renato

I don't understand this type of discussions about "astronomical prices" and even less the "value for money"-type of discussions when it comes to perfumes. Perfumes are luxury products. Noone needs perfumes in his or her life! If you like a frag and are willing to pay the price for it, then buy it! If you don't want to pay the price, then don't buy it! It won't kill you if you don't buy this perfume! I personally would be really angry if I couldn't afford bread and water anymore! That is something that you really need in your life!
    Last edited by hoschhti; 6th May 2014 at 09:38 AM.
    FAVOURITES:

1. Dia Man
    2. Tawaf
    3. Skin Graft
    4. Vitrum
    5. Norne
    6. Incense Extreme

Quote Originally Posted by hoschhti View Post
    I don't understand this type of discussions about "astronomical prices" and even less the "value for money"-type of discussions when it comes to perfumes. Perfumes are luxury products. Noone needs perfumes in his or her life! If you like a frag and are willing to pay the price for it, then buy it! If you don't want to pay the price, then don't buy it! It won't kill you if you don't buy this perfume! I personally would be really angry if I couldn't afford bread and water anymore! That is something that you really need in your life!
    I agree to this, but this has not much to do with "value-for-the-money" discussions. The fact that perfumes are luxury goods we don't need does not mean they can be overpriced, they are still goods, objects, stuff than can be evaluated with objective parameters. Therefore we can asses their quality and their value and judge how close to their to their retail price.
    My current top five:

Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

Colin, are you are the type of man that campaigns because the man down the end of your road has a mercedes on his drive and you have Renault on yours, because your male ego potentially feels a little battered and bruised?.. Id like to think not.

You can have any opinion about this mans Mercedes that you like, just as much as your entitled to love your renault, it doesnt make the blindest bit of difference.

Sometimes you should really listen to yourself and the things you say. There i ssomething called freedom of choice in the world, where as long as we are not hurting anyone else, we are entitled to buy what we like depending on various factors, mainly what we like (personal taste), and of course the reality sometimes of what our budget may be.

You should really stop this online bullying because that is what you basically do.
    Last edited by DMA; 6th May 2014 at 09:59 AM.

Ok, but what has this to do with my post?
    My current top five:

Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

It's just gouging imo. As long as people pay these prices, they will continue to be sold at such prices. You've got these "exclusive niche" houses coming out of no where and slapping a $200+ price tag on a fragrance, and once word of the house gets around, they are in business. I don't think they use much better fragrance oils than any other designer houses.. they do take more risks though, but is that worth paying so much for? I can assure you that after bottling and advertising and everything, these guys are making more than 10 times what they spent.

Ya figure a small bottle of say bergamot essential oil can be found for a buck, bergamot is a top note in most fragrances. They are using much larger quantities though, so I'm sure they get a bulk discount for buying in bulk, and it actually comes out to less than a buck (and now we've already verified from another thread that most perfumers don't make their own fragrance oils, they buy them). So let's say from their bulk discounts and everything, the amount of bergamot required for the top notes would be 20 drops, well from a 1 dollar bottle, 20 drops would probably be worth about 30-40 cents.. so if they're getting it at 75% off that price, they are paying about 10 cents for 20 drops of bergamot. So let's say there's 20 notes in a fragrance, the average price of each being about 10-20 cents.. well you do the math.. think how much they are profiting.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

i hope you can see what i was trying to explain.
    "Well, no offence but your from the land of america, you can say what you like, in the UK this is normal, consumerism in the UK isnt about discount retailers and customers demanding bargains even if that means buying things that the rest of the world lost interst in ten years ago, the UK is very different, and im glad we are different. Nobody desires to walk around in the UK smelling of kouros or chanels anteus, people like to at least as they percieve it keep up to modern trends to some degree, even if there paying normal high street prices.

You are talking to someone from england, we dont go to gigantic warehouses to do our food shopping and buy 10 jars of some unheard of name brand of something for the store cupboard just to save 2 dollars, we do everything differently here, and it would stand you in good stead to always remember that..."

I think I have an idea what you were saying.

I expect your comments to be ignorant, childish and regularly incomprehensible due to your shocking spelling and grammatical skills but I find this actually offensive , not to mention racist.
    "consumerism in UK isnt about discount retailers and customers demanding bargains even if that means buying things that the rest of the world lost interst in ten years ago," Tell that to the more than 900.000 people given emergency help from food banks in the last twelve months ( http://www.trusselltrust.org/stats) , or take a look at the "Poundland" and "Poundworld" shops springing up every week.

"the UK is very different," What ?????

"Nobody desires to walk around in the UK smelling of kouros or chanels anteus," So why are they still stocked in any decent boutique ??

"You are talking to someone from england, we dont go to gigantic warehouses to do our food shopping and buy 10 jars of some unheard of name brand of something for the store cupboard just to save 2 dollars" More astonishing generalization ignorance and racism.....

"It would stand you in good stead to always remember that" Why FFS ????????????

£8 - £30 buy!
    £30 - £55 buy and review carefully
    £55 - £80 probably buy but test over and over again till sure
    £80 - £150 test constantly. Hesitate. Buy maybe once in four years special purchase.
    £150 - £300 c'mon...no way

Plenty of good stuff in the lower price range

Basenotes Plus

Martinijo, that guy is clearly trolling, don't waste your words on him

Why is perfume so expensive? It's not really. I remember Luca Turin talking about the price of Clive Christian in the Guide, and about how it was reputedly the most expensive perfume in the world per ml. He said that if you really wanted the most expensive perfume in the world, you would buy X kilos of pure orris butter from Florence, dilute it in perfumer's alcohol, and sell it off at around 500 euros per 50 ml. At that price, it would still be around ten times cheaper than Clive Christian X. His point was, the Orris butter tincture is the most expensive a perfume could get if you were basing the cost of the perfume on the cost of materials alone. In other words, materials make up a small fraction of the cost of a perfume, and marketing/product placement makes up for the rest. I would say, maybe 20% materials and 80% marketing. The comparison is inverted in the case of the luxury cars, where materials/performance, by necessity, makes up the bulk of the cost and marketing the rest, maybe 80/20 the other way. That makes sense - if the materials in the car are less than excellent, it can kill you, whereas a perfume will not. (Unless you are a member of IFRA and are eyeing up that oakmoss in that pre-reform bottle of Mitsouko you have on your vanity stand of course)

When choosing a perfume, a high price flatters us by assuming we have the money to pay and the taste required to discern that it is worth such a high price. Perfume companies know the psychology of buyers very well. A high price is simply another marketing tool, designed to make you feel like the King of Swing when you plonk down 600euros + for a bottle of Creed Jardins D'Amalfi. Price separates the people with good taste from the barbarians outside the gate, and again, the people who price these products are keenly aware of it. Price is not a barrier for the aspirational buyer, rather it is the hook. Now, for the rest of us, serious fans of perfume, the high price is a barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireV View Post
    Martinijo, that guy is clearly trolling, don't waste your words on him

Why is perfume so expensive? It's not really. I remember Luca Turin talking about the price of Clive Christian in the Guide, and about how it was reputedly the most expensive perfume in the world per ml. He said that if you really wanted the most expensive perfume in the world, you would buy X kilos of pure orris butter from Florence, dilute it in perfumer's alcohol, and sell it off at around 500 euros per 50 ml. At that price, it would still be around ten times cheaper than Clive Christian X. His point was, the Orris butter tincture is the most expensive a perfume could get if you were basing the cost of the perfume on the cost of materials alone. In other words, materials make up a small fraction of the cost of a perfume, and marketing/product placement makes up for the rest. I would say, maybe 20% materials and 80% marketing. The comparison is inverted in the case of the luxury cars, where materials/performance, by necessity, makes up the bulk of the cost and marketing the rest, maybe 80/20 the other way. That makes sense - if the materials in the car are less than excellent, it can kill you, whereas a perfume will not. (Unless you are a member of IFRA and are eyeing up that oakmoss in that pre-reform bottle of Mitsouko you have on your vanity stand of course)

When choosing a perfume, a high price flatters us by assuming we have the money to pay and the taste required to discern that it is worth such a high price. Perfume companies know the psychology of buyers very well. A high price is simply another marketing tool, designed to make you feel like the King of Swing when you plonk down 600euros + for a bottle of Creed Jardins D'Amalfi. Price separates the people with good taste from the barbarians outside the gate, and again, the people who price these products are keenly aware of it. Price is not a barrier for the aspirational buyer, rather it is the hook. Now, for the rest of us, serious fans of perfume, the high price is a barrier.
    Well said, you are probably right on all points.

It is not racisim at all. If you shop in poundland then you have much more important things to concern yourself with in life than having a luxury hobby such as fragrances with a very keen interest on here.

Now ive already had to make one complaint about this website and specific things, and they already no that the next time if it continues the matter will be going further than just a complaint to this site.

If this site wants to allow people to print lies or paint a distorted picture of reality to influence product placment or the market or allow members to do so, then please free to carry on.

If some here do not like this site then maybe they should find alternatives.

Your post was deleted as it was considered racist and that is obviously against the rules.

Please read the rules before any further posting.
    http://www.basenotes.net/content/92-...ct-for-Members

There's a 'post' button and I suggest that you thoroughly read your posts in future prior to clicking it.