Code of Conduct

Default Have you ever asked another man what was he wearing????

I'm just curious to know how many of you out here has asked another man what kind of cologne was he wearing,I have in the past,just thought it might be an interesting topic for discussion.Thanks in advance....

Default Re: Have you ever asked another man what was he wearing????

Only people I know personally...a friend or someone I work with.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Same for me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Not that I remember...
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Exactly once. In fact, this is the exact conversation that got me interested in fragrances. I had never really thought much about cologne before that, I had a few bottles, but then one day someone gave me some Nautica Voyage as a gift, and a strange thing happened: women started complimenting me on it. Then one day, one of my best buddies came over my house before we were going to hit the bars, and damn he smelled good, waaay better than Nautica Voyage. "Hey dude, what's that cologne you're wearing?" "The One. It's awesome, the girls are always telling me how great I smell. You should try it. You want to borrow my bottle?" "Cool. Let's talk about football now." "Ha ha!"

I think I went on the web and found basenotes the next day. True story.

Okay, let's talk about football now.

Basenotes Junkie

I dont myself no, but its quite common for males to ask me. Gay men to tend to ask me outright with no issue, straight males tend to enquire and skirt around the subject embarrased lol, or sometimes they wont even say anything but youll just catch there head turn as you walk past, and yes im talking about random strangers Its funny to experience...
    Last edited by DMA; 5th May 2014 at 10:24 PM.

Same, I have asked people I know before. I have definitley had many other men ask me what I am wearing though, seems like more men than women actually.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

Great replies,in order for me to inquire it has to be something that really stands out,that I've never smelled before,were no way like women they'll ask another woman what there wearing no problem,I've DEFINETLY had more men ask me what I was wearing than me ask them.

I rarely even smell anything on people and when I do it's usually one of a few I recognize (Le Male, AdG, 1 Million, etc) but I probably would. Depends I guess. Would probably be like hey are you wearing a cologne or something, what is that? wait for answer. Huh, smells nice, I'll go try find one. Thanks. and then move on
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

In the past, I always wanted to, but for some reason I chicken out.

Quote Originally Posted by Uvalde View Post
    Exactly once. In fact, this is the exact conversation that got me interested in fragrances. I had never really thought much about cologne before that, I had a few bottles, but then one day someone gave me some Nautica Voyage as a gift, and a strange thing happened: women started complimenting me on it. Then one day, one of my best buddies came over my house before we were going to hit the bars, and damn he smelled good, waaay better than Nautica Voyage. "Hey dude, what's that cologne you're wearing?" "The One. It's awesome, the girls are always telling me how great I smell. You should try it. You want to borrow my bottle?" "Cool. Let's talk about football now." "Ha ha!"

I think I went on the web and found basenotes the next day. True story.

Okay, let's talk about football now.
    I've heard good things about THE ONE,I gotta sample it one day,how's the longevity and projection?

Quote Originally Posted by Flatbush Ave View Post
    In the past, I always wanted to, but for some reason I chicken out.
    Yeah that's normal with.most men,for me it has to be something AWESOME for me to ask a complete stranger.

Yeah I have, but truth be told is was a friend of a friend....so it wasn't super weird or awkward. I'd like to say I'd feel comfortable enough to comment on a strangers(man or woman)frag they were wearing, but honestly I'm not sure I would.

Oh, you're from Linden NJ?

Off topic but Bella Gina's Gourmet Italian Deli has the best panini's. I would like to shop there more often.

Not so far, but was really tempted to do so a few times, since the respective SOTD worn was smelling well enough to make me curious.

I remember asking a Scotsman that question... He responded with a stern " When are you people going to stop asking that question?. For the last time, We don't wear anything under the kilt!"

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    Yeah I have, but truth be told is was a friend of a friend....so it wasn't super weird or awkward. I'd like to say I'd feel comfortable enough to comment on a strangers(man or woman)frag they were wearing, but honestly I'm not sure I would.
    Yeah bigbz I hear ya,it is a little awkward that's why I said it has to be something AWESOME that I never smelled.

I don't think I have ever done so, but I have had other men ask me what I was wearing.

I don't get the interest (perhaps it's cultural taboo?), however yes - to be honest that is how I discovered Dior Homme for example. A couple of times I also asked strangers where they did purchase some garments they were wearing - and sometimes strangers did the same with me.
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | YSL M7 AS, Ungaro II EDT, Gucci Envy for Men AS, Signoricci EDT, Capucci PH EDT, Montana PH EDT...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

I'm a heterosexual male that enjoys fragrance. Asking a gay guy what he's wearing isn't going to change this. I'm asking a question about something I'd like to purchase and giving him a thumbs up for having good taste.

Quote Originally Posted by derekbgreene View Post
    I've heard good things about THE ONE,I gotta sample it one day,how's the longevity and projection?
    It smells awesome, women absolutely love it. Hell, I wore it the other day and could barely make it out of the house without giving myself a handy. But neither projection nor longevity are particularly good. If you're going to be out for more than 4 hours and don't want to be wearing a skin scent, you may have to bring an atomizer with you.

It's rare to smell anything that's any good, so when it happens I always ask. The answers are often surprising, the fragrances usually being something I thought I never liked.

Same here.

I will ask anyone what they are wearing if I really like it and want to know. The only possible way to take it would be as a compliment.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...-Vert-*SAMPLES

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Yes....twice in the past few years. Both times it was co-workers. Once the answer was Cool Water, the next time it was Polo green.
    Two times I have also had male co-workers ask me what I was wearing (Quorum and Bogart PH).
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    I will ask anyone what they are wearing if I really like it and want to know. The only possible way to take it would be as a compliment.
    Same here.

Only annoying thing is that sometimes it doesn't smell as good on me as it did on the person I asked.
    What I'd like to try

Prices Rreduced!UK Only:Kilian B2B, Incense Oud, Pure Oud/MFK Pluriel/Ensar Oud/AgarAura Oud

My UK Swapsies!

Need some Roja help: Need a Roja cap, any one (gave away my Fetish cap)
    Also my Harrods Oud bottle needs a cap
    Muchas gracias

Honestly I will ask anyone who smells good what they are wearing.

We are all human.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatbush Ave View Post
    Oh, you're from Linden NJ?
    Off topic but Bella Gina's Gourmet Italian Deli has the best panini's. I would like to shop there more often.
    Not familiar with the deli but I will stop in one day...

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Well said and very true...

Dependent

Sure. Why not? If I like it and it doesn't smell familiar to me I ask
    Seasonal rotation:

Original Santal
    Apple Brandy
    Tuscan Leather
    Silver Mountain Water
    Lyric Man

I asked a coworker yesterday. The answer - Aspen. It didn't smell very good.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    LOL.

I asked two guys at work and neither of them knew what they were wearing. At that point I stopped wondering what the frag was and started berating them about how it was possible to not know the name of a product that you spray on every day.

The words are right there in your hand!!!! You mean to tell me that you have never accidently read what you were holding 15 inches from your eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

This
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Did you tell him that it smelled great, or we're you honest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    LOL.

I asked two guys at work and neither of them knew what they were wearing. At that point I stopped wondering what the frag was and started berating them about how it was possible to not know the name of a product that you spray on every day.

The words are right there in your hand!!!! You mean to tell me that you have never accidently read what you were holding 15 inches from your eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    They just don't want YOU to know, Hoss! I've had this happen twice, both in church, about 15 years apart. I asked a young Co-Deacon and he skirted around the answer. Then I think I asked an Elder at my church about 6 months ago. No dice. I believe each of these men purposely ducked the question because they did not want to give out their secret. I gave up quick because it was obvious they did not want to reveal the name. One was about 30, the other about 80. I'd rather know the older man's scent...my wife said I should ask his wife!

I don't believe I have ever ducked this question, and I have been asked many times. Some people are funny, and their response is unpredictable.

As a matter of fact, yes, last time was about 3 months ago, a fella at the Gym had some Sandalwood oil on and I kindly asked him what was he wearing and he told me "sandalwood oil" smelled great
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

[QUOTE=ChuckW;3142445]They just don't want YOU to know, Hoss!QUOTE]

Yep, exactly what I was thinking....there has been enough posts on here about how some Basenoters feel about letting others in on their "secret". Personally, I think it's kind of petty and obnoxious...but whatever.

Just asked today to a guy I know from meetings. He was wearing ELDO Eloge du Traitre. I once asked a controller on the bus who called his wife because he didn't know. Life's too short not to ask.

Yes. Long ago it was fierce and more recently it was molecule 01 and canali.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    They just don't want YOU to know, Hoss! I've had this happen twice, both in church, about 15 years apart. I asked a young Co-Deacon and he skirted around the answer. Then I think I asked an Elder at my church about 6 months ago. No dice. I believe each of these men purposely ducked the question because they did not want to give out their secret. I gave up quick because it was obvious they did not want to reveal the name. One was about 30, the other about 80. I'd rather know the older man's scent...my wife said I should ask his wife!

I don't believe I have ever ducked this question, and I have been asked many times. Some people are funny, and their response is unpredictable.
    No, I know these guys really well and they arent the type to do that. One of them said it was a free bottle he got when he bought some Versace eyeglasses and the other guy said it was just something his wife gave him "in a purple bottle maybe". They are both black guys in their 50s and correction officers and fairly conservative. The first one was trying to get away from me when I was asking him about it and seemed very uncomfortable. Of course I though that was funny and kept it up.

A lot of guys are just weirded out by talk of personal hygiene or just dont pay attention. they wouldnt know they wouldnt know which body wash was in the shower either.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

Quote Originally Posted by sicing View Post
    Did you tell him that it smelled great, or we're you honest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I didn't say it smelled great, nor did I say it smelled bad. I just said "oh".

Can be very awkward with someone you do not know well. I get asked occasonally by other men and always tell them what I was wearing. A salesman at J. Press once asked me and I must have mumbled a bit because, while I said "Royal English Leather," he didn't hear the royal part and was incredulous that English Leather could smell that good and that he was going to rush off to a Duane Reade to buy some. Before I could correct him, he was gone..... I have also been asked by men while wearing Brooks Brothers Signature and GIT. Women are more likely to ask, especially if you have just hugged them (What are you wearing?!?!? I must get some for my husband!).

Yes, and he proceeded with a detailed description of silken undergarments. Haven't asked that question since.

Quote Originally Posted by SCENTMASTER "OG" View Post
    I'm just curious to know how many of you out here has asked another man what kind of cologne was he wearing,I have in the past,just thought it might be an interesting topic for discussion.Thanks in advance....
    I just talked to a stranger on campus recently (the 30th?). I maybe asked him what fragrance he has on, he mentioned about it being a Burberry and the bottle being black, or something.
    (Formerly Jouho)

Don't think so.

Yes,but only people from my circle of acquaintances.The last one I remember was Pleasures for men by E.Lauder.

I stopped a guy once in a shop in Paris. I just had to know what that delicious scent he was wearing was.

Close colleagues & friends only.

for swap/sale:

I asked somebody at work last week. I think that was the first time at work, I actually asked somebody what he was wearing.
    It really smelled good too, and I told him so.

It was Curve.
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

Blog Entries

Like others said, only people I know personally. If the scent is familiar, I try to guess the name of the fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

Never felt the urge to do so. AFAIK I'm still the best smelling guy. Lol.

But I have in the past directed the same question to some great smelling women.

byandthrough

Complimented a co-worker on his scent today because I thought it smelled pretty decent. He told me it was Bod. Who woulda thought?

Only once I can think of, at the Sky Club at JFK, a young Saudi man living in Paris. Tuscan Leather, or maybe it was the Armani jacket he had on!

Basenotes Member

Why are people so worried about asking someone what they are wearing? Generally its people that take pride in the appearance that wear good scents and receiving a positive reaction to it would make 99% of the humans on earth happy. I have never known complimenting someone's scent to backfire. Had two co-workers ask me what I was wearing the other week, one male and one female, wasnt awkward at all.

I've really only smelled fragrances on guys that I already know what they are such as Bvlgari Aqva, Burberry Brit, D&G The One, AdG, etc.

If it was something that I liked and didn't know what it was, I would ask if it was someone I knew because I'm not very comfortable talking to strangers about anything.

Yes, of course. I have asked a complete stranger (maybe in the elevator) what he was wearing. Not a big deal, making conversation. Once I got in the elevator at work and someone had evidently just stepped off who was wearing Spicebomb, had a nice minute-long treat there, whiffing it all in. :-) I think, here in the USA, men are more homophobic about such things. If I ask a guy, and he thinks I am making a pass or something, that's HIS problem.
    Last edited by Allen-on-Holiday; 9th May 2014 at 01:19 PM.
    Favorite blend:

Piment Brulant by L'Artisan (2 sprays)
    and
    Plum Japonais by Tom Ford (1 spray)

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Where i live, men wear frags with pride, so asking or being asked is part of normal inter-personal conversation.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!