Code of Conduct

Default Decisions, decisions...

The girlfriend finally let me sell Abercrombie Cologne 41.
    She prefers Kiton Men and Aventus to that.

I have $135 in PayPal for the 2 bottles I sold. (Totally not worth that, but... whatever...)

So, do I:

Buy or Hold?

1. Acqua Di Gio Essenza
    2. Comme des Garcons Wonderwood
    3. Hold the cash for... [INSERT SUGGESTION HERE]

I've tried to find a quality vetiver with samples of Encre Noire and Sycomore, but they're a bit much for me.
    Guerlain Homme L'eau Boisee seems to be it for me and "vetiver" fragrances, I love it, but I dont get the usual vetiver roughness.
    Its very smooth, and I like that.

Acqua di Gio Essenza is nice.
    Wonderwood is nice, but it seems to fade fast.

Suggestions welcome.

My Favorites:

GIT
    Aventus
    Kiton Men
    Guerlain Homme L'eau Boisee

Dislikes:

Creed Royal Water
    Guerlain Derby
    Guerlain Heritage
    Narciso Rodriquez for Him
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Tiffany for Men
    Trussardi L'uomo
    Trussardi Inside Man
    LIDGE

Take a look at my wardrobe, see anything missing?
    Last edited by MegaMav; 5th May 2014 at 10:22 PM.
    For Sale - Niche & Designer - Bottles & Samples - Updated 8/20

Top 5
    ----------------------------------
    Kiton - Men
    Van Cleef & Arpels - Midnight In Paris EDP
    Guerlain - Homme L'eau Boisee
    Comme des Garcons - Wonderwood
    Gucci - Pour Homme 2003

Default Re: Decisions, decisions...

Personally, I love both AdGE and Wonderwood... I would probably go with AdGE since that is more of a warm weather scent and would be more useful with summer coming. Then pick up Wonderwood in the fall.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Check Universal Perfumes and purchase one of the Mancera fragrances. Cedrat Boise is a good one.

I would go with option 4 and get something that is different for your wardrobe. A few I would suggest that if you look around can be bought in your price range

Amouage Silver
    MFK Absolue Pour le Soir
    Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur
    Histoires de Parfums Tubereuse Animale
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

AdG Essenza would be my suggestion.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Mancera Kumkat Wood (you'd probably love)
    Acqua di Parma Essenza (not Gio)
    Wonderwood

Blog Entries

I think AdG Essenza and Wonderwood are both FBW. The former is more of a crowd pleaser, and the latter is more unique & interesting. As for performance, surprisingly, AdGE lasts ages on my skin. Wonderwood has a pretty good longevity, too. When I spray (or even dab) on my neck, the scent sticks to my shirt collar or to my hoodie, and I can still smell it until I do the laundry. Once my my mini runs out, I'll definitely get a bigger bottle of Wonderwood.

Based on your "likes" list, I think AdGE is right up your alley.

Good luck, and let us know what your decision is.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    I think AdG Essenza and Wonderwood are both FBW.
    Agreed they are both very good, thats whats making this decision tough.
    I am open to suggestion if there is a better wood fragrance than Wonderwood and my already owned fav Gucci Pour Homme 2003.
    If anyone thinks I should stop looking after those 2, I'll stop.

I may shed a couple more bottles and end up with both eventually.
    I could see myself with about 4 less scents to get 1 more solid one.

Top 5
    Kiton - Men
    Gucci - Pour Homme 2003

Wonderwood is the best year-round option IMO. I'd go with that.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 - ONLY 4 LEFT! (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Wonderwood is the best year-round option IMO. I'd go with that.
    Big statement.
    I see you advocating for AdGE pretty often on here.

Top 5
    Kiton - Men
    Gucci - Pour Homme 2003

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    Agreed they are both very good, thats whats making this decision tough.
    I am open to suggestion if there is a better wood fragrance than Wonderwood and my already owned fav Gucci Pour Homme 2003.
    If anyone thinks I should stop looking after those 2, I'll stop.

I may shed a couple more bottles and end up with both eventually.
    I could see myself with about 4 less scents to get 1 more solid one.
    You sound like me, getting rid of bottles to make room for something you realized you like much better. I too have money in PayPal from dumping unused bottles.

Having said that, I would go with adge. It seems you like it, it's affordable, and like an earlier poster mentioned: it's almost summer time and it would get more use. IMHO

I tried AdGE again, I dont love it, its too musky for me, and I'd grab my Issey Miyake Summer 2012 over it.
    I think it comes down to Wonderwood or someone else's suggestion for a wood heavy scent.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far, I've been looking up each one.

Top 5
    Kiton - Men
    Gucci - Pour Homme 2003

I see You didn't like encre noire etc because it's too heavy and earthy..etc then try Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford as it's an exquisite take on vetiver with a modern woody/grapefruit/fresh/zesty twist(feels like I'm the official sponsor of this scent as I see myself recommending a whole lot, but it's just that I enjoy so much and certain questions are just begging for this recommendation) lol
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    I see You didn't like encre noire etc because it's too heavy and earthy..etc then try Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford as it's an exquisite take on vetiver with a modern woody/grapefruit/fresh/zesty twist(feels like I'm the official sponsor of this scent as I see myself recommending a whole lot, but it's just that I enjoy so much and certain questions are just begging for this recommendation) lol
    Thank you, I'll make a trip to Sephora to try it out.

Top 5
    Kiton - Men
    Gucci - Pour Homme 2003

Virgin island water

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosst View Post
    Virgin island water
    http://www.luckyscent.com/product/15...isan-parfumeur

Is about 10x better.

Basenotes Plus

Both AdG Essenza and CdG Wonderwood are wonderful. I own and love them both. Both very versatile, though Wonderwood is more of a year-round scent, whereas Essenza is more of a summer scent. For the money, you can probably get very close to a bottle of each (the smaller sizes).

I'm going to Sephora once I get out of the office to pick up samples of Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum and Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. I'm wearing Wonderwood now, about 4 hours in, I'm enjoying it, went easy on application. If I were to end up with a bottle, it will be the 3.4 ounce. Anything else I should try at Sephora while I'm there?

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk

Top 5
    Kiton - Men
    Gucci - Pour Homme 2003

Don't give up on the Vetiver. Theres such a wide spectrum and EN / Sycomore are right up on the dark, smokey, autumnal side. At the other extreme you should seek out Mona Di Orio Vetyver - much lighter and still vetiver centric and not actually too expensive for the quality or for that house!

Eau Sauvage Parfum - Smells very similar to a scent I already have, Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense
    Grey Vetiver - Different! It was pulling at my strings only on paper. It has a realistic grassy fresh opening to it only comparable to Green Irish Tweed, that I've smelled at least. I have a wedding to go to Saturday, I am considering using it then or Mother's day dinner Sunday. How is the longevity on this?

Top 5
    Kiton - Men
    Gucci - Pour Homme 2003

Basenotes Plus

Sephora is great! Try everything, and don't be shy- go check out the female fragrance section as a lot of the unisex stuff is there. And ask for samples of two or three you really like and take some home to really test. Happy smelling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Any other vetiver recommendations?

I have tried:

Guerlain Homme L'eau Boisee - Love this stuff, I wish the vetiver was a little bit more earthy.
    Chanel Sycomore - Katie Puckrick said "Spontaneously combusting drug mule" to describe it, and it hits home for me. its a little much.
    Lalique Encre Noire - Similar to Sycomore, but its a dark, almost musty difference to it. Not mold/mildew, but just damp.
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver - Only smelled it on paper, but im impressed with it. The "spices" overtake this in the end, trying it a full wear tomorrow.
    Comme des Garcons Wonderwood - I really like this, but its so light for me, I can barely smell it after an hour, skin scent to me. Pricey one at that.

So, what am I looking for?

Love the Guerlain Homme L'eau Boisee, its possible this is my end-all be-all for vetiver, but I want to keep an open mind, I wish the vetiver was a little more forward, but I enjoy the role it has in the makeup.
    I've looked at Guerlain Vetiver and Vetiver Extreme online, and I see the phrase "dated" used often. I find I like modern scents more.
    Sycomore and Encre Noire are a little too much for me and I cant say I would use them often enough to own.

So, im looking for something in between the Guerlain Homme L'eau Boisee and the other end of the spectrum like Sycomore and Encre Noire.
    Recommendations to sample? I like the earthy, richness of vetiver. Im beginning to wonder if the sample I have downstairs of Tom Ford Grey Vetiver is the ticket, but I'd like to tap into the noses here for recommends.

Top 5
    Kiton - Men
    Gucci - Pour Homme 2003

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    Any other vetiver recommendations?

I have tried:

Guerlain Homme L'eau Boisee - Love this stuff, I wish the vetiver was a little bit more earthy.
    Chanel Sycomore - Katie Puckrick said "Spontaneously combusting drug mule" to describe it, and it hits home for me. its a little much.
    Lalique Encre Noire - Similar to Sycomore, but its a dark, almost musty difference to it. Not mold/mildew, but just damp.
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver - Only smelled it on paper, but im impressed with it. The "spices" overtake this in the end, trying it a full wear tomorrow.
    Comme des Garcons Wonderwood - I really like this, but its so light for me, I can barely smell it after an hour, skin scent to me. Pricey one at that.

So, what am I looking for?

Love the Guerlain Homme L'eau Boisee, its possible this is my end-all be-all for vetiver, but I want to keep an open mind, I wish the vetiver was a little more forward, but I enjoy the role it has in the makeup.
    I've looked at Guerlain Vetiver and Vetiver Extreme online, and I see the phrase "dated" used often. I find I like modern scents more.
    Sycomore and Encre Noire are a little too much for me and I cant say I would use them often enough to own.

So, im looking for something in between the Guerlain Homme L'eau Boisee and the other end of the spectrum like Sycomore and Encre Noire.
    Recommendations to sample?
    I like the earthy, richness of vetiver. Im beginning to wonder if the sample I have downstairs of Tom Ford Grey Vetiver is the ticket, but I'd like to tap into the noses here for recommends.
    These are my two recommendations for you based on your criteria:

Itasca by Lubin: This is a fresh, modern vetiver. It's bright, very aromatic, and really well put together. I would own a bottle but for some reason it gives me a terrible headache. Shame, because it's really an excellent fragrance.

Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi: A very aromatic vetiver-based fougere. The vetiver is not over-powering in the slightest. Uomo is really fresh citrus notes over warm, aromatic spices and vetiver. It's in the classic masculine fougere category but doesn't smell outdated at all (trust me, I don't like those ones). A completely year-round fragrance--it works just as well in the middle of the summer as the winter and has excellent versatility. Manages to smell mature and sophisticated without the least bit of stuffiness.

And just a couple random recommendations I think you'd like, if you haven't already tried them:

L'Humaniste by Frapin: I think you'd really enjoy this, based on your taste. I'm not going to go into explaining it since there's plant of info available, but it's very good, versatile, and different enough to stand out on its own among your wardrobe.

Versace Pour Homme: Does what it does perfectly. A blueish, fresh aromatic fougere. It's almost flawless, in my opinion, and smells so nice in the warmer months--clean, professional, modern. If it has any drawback it's that it might smell a little too familiar. I think many fragrances have attempted to achieve what VPH is, though nothing has equalled its success.

magnus611 must know me.
    I tried out the Grey Vetiver tonight before wearing it out tomorrow evening, and it is exactly what im looking for with vetiver.
    Its fleetingly fresh, then spicy, then the smoldering campfire smokey vetiver doesnt screw around.
    Dry, but not dirty or musty. This is the real deal and the yin to Guerlain Homme L'eau Boisee's yang.

Grey Vetiver is what I *thought* Chanel's Sycomore would smell like before I smelled it.
    Thank you all for the recommendations.

Top 5
    Kiton - Men
    Gucci - Pour Homme 2003