Code of Conduct

Default Lynx Excite is a direct knock-off from...?

Smelt this today, it's clearly inspired after some commercial cologne, axe/lynx Excite is ringing all sorts of bells in my head, I've definitely smelt this before, just can't place where. It's fruity, somewhat woody.

Default Re: Lynx Excite is a direct knock-off from...?

Hi & welcome, ElAlmaDelVodka!
    Please note that this thread is being moved to Just Starting Out.
    Thanks!

Welcome. I've smelled this as well and I'm not sure what it reminds me of. It's definitely sweet. Lynx/Axe gets a bad rep but out of all the cheap soap/deodorant companies, I think they're one of the best...

Excite has been my loyal shower gel for a long time now. It pretty much smells like a mixture of caramel and coconut. It's not too bad. I can't think of any fragrance this might be a knock off from, though. Most known caramel/coconut scents smell considerably different. But then again I only know my way around designers and hardly do niche.

There is a very common phenomenon called "The Trickledown Effect' which occurs whenever a new fragrance becomes very successful. If this happens, other perfume houses rush out fragrance very similar to the original. Then the original fragrance is the inspiration for more widely sold products such as body sprays. Then shower gels. Finally you can have the original fragrance inspiring all sorts of mundane products including air fresheners and household cleaners. It is possible now to buy a toilet cleaner that smells like Cool Water. I am sure that this has happened with the Lynx product you mention.

Incidentally, having a shower gel bottle of this at hand and tried to compare it to different more or less popular designer scents. What I sensed first but also persists the longest (without this first impression evaporating too much during drydown) was indeed, as correctly aforementioned, coconut, very sweet coconut, somewhere along the lines of Kenzo Jungle. Then, I do sense further sweet notes, in addition to coconut, maybe somehow reminding of burnt sugar, similar to how this note is rendered in Amen, perhaps also Rochas Man and vintage Joop Homme, to a lesser extent, even YSL La Nuit.

However, Lynx/Axe Excite is no "exact transcript", no "carbon copy" of these designer scents, not even of certain specific single notes found in these, rather the overall blend, development, association of notes shares some occasional common points with these fragrances and, if more carefully smelled and analyzed, it is possible that similarities with other designer scents might also become noticeable.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 7th May 2014 at 01:58 PM.

So this particular Lynx product is not a direct trickledown of a major fragrance, more that it has been influenced by the many male and female Gourmand fragrances available. A Men has a lot to answer for!

I think Excite has been inspired by Only The Brave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Junkie

I don't know excite as I think we have different names here. However there is one here called 'dark temptations' I believe that is a coconut vanilla which has a lot in common with Serge Lutens Un Bois vanilla. I'd suggest sniffing that SL fragrance if you like coconutty top body wash.

rick

Dark Temptations is more like a chocolate type of deodorant here. I've had a while ago and I must say I cannot find any resemblances with SL Bois Vanille. Interesting how they vary in smell.

Basenotes Junkie

Souryu,

I think you might be right actually. I just checked and i was confusing excite and dark temptations. It was excite with the heavy coconut impression.

Rick