Code of Conduct

Default I want to buy more fragrances but can't afford them

So this is a huge problem I am having right now. I am in high school so I don't really make that much money every year. I try to save most of it, but of course I have to treat myself and buy some fragrances. I am at the point in the year where I really want to get some Summer fragrances, but I can't really afford that many of them.

Has anyone else had something like this happen to them before? Have something on your to-buy list but can't afford it?

Default Re: I want to buy more fragrances but can't afford them

You can relax and just accept that this your new reality and get used to it unless you develop some hot new App or something and make squillions, of course.

Do the research and use the money for one or two GREAT ones rather than feeling the need for 'some fragrances'. Half the fun is getting into the reviews and learning about your own tastes and which reviewers share them so you can zero in on the good stuff!

Focus
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

It's a common affliction - agree that focusing on a couple is a sensible idea

Have you checked out the Marketplace here?
    There are always splits going on.

It's called high school. We were all making little to no money in that time of our lives. It's not a bad thing. I saved up for a bottle of Polo Sport back then and it was the only bottle I had at the time.
    My top 5 changes like the Tennessee weather.

Don't worry it will get easier as you get older, start working, buy a house, mortgage that house and support a family.
    Last edited by adam090273; 6th May 2014 at 01:52 PM.

You're not alone young man! It's part of life.

My advice is to be patient and save up for a lovely fragrance rather than shell out on a couple of 'mall juices'.

Or maybe on the cheaper side, Bottega Veneta Pour Homme----- and check out the Aramis range if you can't wait
    Last edited by Kaern; 6th May 2014 at 01:51 PM.

What you might want to do is buy "TESTERS" they might've been sprayed a few times or simply returned to the store and those can be found online at different fragrance discounters and the.prices are much cheaper than brand new, sometimes the TESTERS are missing the cap or the original box,another option is SAMPLES or DECANTS which is cologne poured into small vials ranging in size from 1ml 2ml 3ml and so on.SAMPLES and DECANTS can be purchased at MYPERFUMESAMPLES,EBAY,AMAZON,LUCKYSCENT,POSH PEASANT,etc...GOOD LUCK...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    My advice is to be patient and save up for a lovely fragrance rather than shell out on a couple of 'mall juices'.
    Sound advice
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

offer to defragment neighbors' hard drives
    Cable management for their entertainment system

for swap/sale:

You could start a high school group on here with people in the same boat. Then you can all swap samples/decant with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I don't buy mall juices though, all of my collection is niche (not that I don't like them in general). So say right now I really love Bergamote 22 and L'Humaniste, I'm looking at maybe $400 shipped with tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Willanhanyard View Post
    I don't buy mall juices though, all of my collection is niche (not that I don't like them in general). So say right now I really love Bergamote 22 and L'Humaniste, I'm looking at maybe $400 shipped with tax.
    Oh --ok, so you have 'beer money but champagne tastes'. What about 'splits' as IPP suggested?

Maybe some 'summer work' to supplement?

If this is your really huge problem, consider yourself lucky.

Only thing you can do is make more money. Get (another?) part-time job or, like hedonist suggests, offer your services doing odd jobs. And consider decants.

Use holidays and birthdays to get ones you really want as a gift or at least partial payment for one you want...Study hard, sounds like you'll need a good job with those tastes.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW: Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD SSS Incense Pure / Slumberhouse & More...

Consider yourself a very lucky chap to have such a simple problem. Enjoy the yearning and the waiting. It is what makes much of the pleasure.

You have that for which most people would pay a fortune and cannot: youth.

Everyone wants things they can't have. That's not a problem, exactly, that's life. You sound like a very nice person. If I were you, I'd turn off the internet for a week. Hang out with friends. Teach yourself an instrument, or a new language. Take some photos. Go to a concert or a game. Read a book that's not assigned in class. Dare I say it, read Walden. Enjoy yourself and where you are right now.

+1 Splits

or shoplifting, marrying a wealthy old person, suing someone, getting a job (at a fragrance counter would be ideal), begging your parents, etc...

(maybe not all those suggestions are good ones... I'll let you be the judge)
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

You can always steal the testers they leave out in department stores.

I like the part about getting a Saturday job on the fragrance counter…. just tell us all where you are and we will be on you like a ton of bricks for the samples…. lol

Simplex Sigillum Veri

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    You can always steal the testers they leave out in department stores.
    I wanted to say the same thing!

But instead of testers you can steal the regular bottles, but be careful: They put these little thingies in the packaging and the alarm starts as soon as you leave the store (at least that's what they do here in Germany)! So put the perfume warily in a bag, pretend that you are searching for something in your bag, remove the packaging and leave it somewhere - or just walk outside and let the alarm ring! If you have the perfect poker face and nerves of steel no one will stop you! You will have a new frag and a gigantic adrenalin rush and this perfume will be always something special to you because you will always associate it with this exciting event!

I wish you good luck!
    FAVOURITES:

1. Dia Man
    2. Tawaf
    3. Skin Graft
    4. Vitrum
    5. Norne
    6. Incense Extreme

I have high-schoolers of my own AND feel the need to repeat myself...

50260_303206903284_4321005_s.jpg
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

There's a lot of great advice (and some that's very funny and not meant to be taken seriously) here.

When I want what I can't have, I try to focus on other people with more significant problems to keep things in perspective and remind myself there's always someone better off and someone worse off than I am.. Problems that feel huge can be born more easily when I do this. I watched a news program for about 5 minutes earlier today and then thanked my lucky stars that I wasn't kidnapped with 500 others in Nigeria, living in Ukraine right now or been beaten in the Occupy Wall Street demonstration and been convicted of assault after defending myself.

Blog Entries

Yes, there will always be something just out of reach. Try to amuse yourself with samples and decants.
    I was going to make a bad joke about selling your blood.... Really though, there will always been great fumes out there to try. Just keep your eyes peeled for good deals and do save up for things that are really special.