Code of Conduct

Thread: Fragrance oils

Default Fragrance oils

Hello Everyone..

1. What is the difference between (fragrance oil , perfume oil and aroma chemical).

2. Which of them is the main ingredient in perfumery.

3. How can I check the fragrance oil purity and how can they cheat in its quality or quantity.

4. Who are the best retailer suppliers of Fragrance oils (worldwide).

Thank you repliers in advance.

Default Re: Fragrance oils

The terms Fragrance Oil and Perfume Oil are similar and there is no firm distinction between them. Usually however the term fragrance oil is used when itís sold as an ingredient and perfume oil when itís sold as a finished product. In that case the difference is that the perfume oil should be skin-safe as it is while the fragrance oil probably isnít until itís been diluted. Both are blends of, mostly, synthetic materials.

Aroma chemicals are simply chemicals that have a smell - they are they building blocks of all perfumery - essential oils and absolutes are made up of naturally occurring aroma chemicals, most perfumes are made with a mixture of those along with synthetic aroma chemicals.

Iím not sure what you mean by purity in respect of fragrance oils as they are not meant to be pure - they are blends of materials to create a particular smell. These things come in a huge range of qualities and in general you get what you pay for.

The best suppliers worldwide are probably the big 5: Givaudan, Firmenich, IFF, Symrise and Takasago - the first three in particular make a range of industry standard bases that are widely used in commercial perfumes. You canít buy from them direct but they are widely re-sold.
    ďBattle cries and champagne just in time for sunrise.
    ― David Bowie
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

Fine fragrances hand made in The Shire
    Quality perfume making ingredients
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume
    If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog for more info about perfumes and perfumery.

Basenotes Junkie

And Robertet if you want unique, high end naturals.

rick

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by shsj View Post

4. Who are the best retailer suppliers of Fragrance oils (worldwide).
    I'm afraid that for many of us, buying fragrance oils is often not our preference.

These are often though the choice of soap makers (Soapers) and I would suggest trolling through their websites and forums to ask that question amongst those that buy more FO's.

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Default Aromachology with Fragrance oils

Hello Everyone ..

1. Do perfumers prefer Essential, Absolute or Fragrance oils for their perfume formulas ?

2. Are the fragrance oils an OILS and have a density lighter than the water and alcohol so they wouldn't be blended with them. Or a substances that have a similar shape to the oils but they are not an oils at all ?

3. Do fragrance Oils have the same benefits of essential oils with AROMACHOLOGY ?

Thank you all in advance

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Aromachology with Fragrance oils

Hi shsj - this thread is very similar to your other one, so we'll merge them to make it easier for those replying.
    Thanks!

Basenotes Plus

Sorry, David - I merged this thread as you posted your reply & now cannot find your reply - will look again...

Edit - well, that's never happened before - it's vanished.
    Last edited by lpp; 6th May 2014 at 06:26 PM.

Basenotes Junkie

Hello Everyone ..

1. Do perfumers prefer Essential, Absolute or Fragrance oils for their perfume formulas ?

2. Are the fragrance oils an OILS and have a density lighter than the water and alcohol so they wouldn't be blended with them. Or a substances that have a similar shape to the oils but they are not an oils at all ?

3. Do fragrance Oils have the same benefits of essential oils with AROMACHOLOGY ?

Thank you all in advance

1- all of the above. It is all about the smell you are trying to achieve. If you want something that smells like orange, you're probably going to use an orange essential oil since they are cheap and smell like a fresh peeled orange. If you want a beautiful jasmine, then you'll want (though probably not be able to afford) jasmine absolute but probably end up using a jasmine base (which I would put as equivalent to a fragrance oil).

2- They are oils in the sense that the aren't aqueous solutions, however they aren't like vegetable oil. They are organics with some amount of polarity or oxygenation in the bonds. They won't dissolve in water usually but ethanol isn't usually a problem except for some specific things.

3- The benefits of essential oils in aromatherapy is debatable, so proving the same benefits from fragrances is also debatable.

rick

Hello Everyone ..

Thank you all in advance

To repeat myself (hem hem). This perfumer prefers Essential Oils, Absolutes and aromachemicals all blended together in just the right way. Most materials used in perfumery are not water soluble (there are a couple that are) and should not be used together with any water, or water containing material. I don't know what Aromachology is, but if it is the same as Aromatherapy, I don't see any benefits at all (stands back and waits for explosion).

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    I don't know what Aromachology is, but if it is the same as Aromatherapy, I don't see any benefits at all (stands back and waits for explosion).
    Aromachology is halfway between aroma therapy and pharmacology. I'm sure that changes your opinion of it LOADS...

rick

OK ; thanks for that. That makes all the difference.