Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Spanish Cedar by Czech & Speake

Now Smell This reports:

British niche line Czech & Speake has launched Spanish Cedar. It is the brand's first new launch since 2011's Vetiver Vert.

With my new fragrance the cedar is not from Spain but my motives are linked to Spain. Memories of boyhood holidays in Menorca, of sandy coves surrounded by sun bleached pine and cedar trees that would produce an unforgettable resinous smell. This fragrance to me is the memory of these days and the version I have made is an exotic blend of woods, resin, smoky notes balanced with citrus and piquant notes.
    The notes include bergamot, plum, galbanum, clove, blackberry, cedar, sandalwood and guaiac wood.

Czech & Speake Spanish Cedar is available in 100 ml Cologne Spray, £105.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Spanish Cedar by Czech & Speake

Thanks for the info. Will have to sample this one.

Thanks for the information. Will sample next time I'm in London.

Wow, thank you! Great news, I highly respect this brand, that will be surely a great scent.
    My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Serge Lutens - Fumerie Turque
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

If I'm not mistaken, most quality humidors are made with spanish cedar... mmm.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Looks good and you can actually purchase a sample from their website. Only thing is the shipping costs more than the sample.

Yikes, they are making their scents more and more expensive! £105 for cologne-strength is pretty steep. Still, I'll be over to their Jermyn Street store to try it out as soon as I can!

I may pop in to C&S later this week -- sounds good

The launch of Vetiver Vert kept being put back though -- that fragrance was disappointing imo

Here it is:

Can't wait to try this one - If the other C&S fragrances are anything to go by, rum, they will be of ample strength & longevity despite the 'cologne' tag. £105.00 is definitely pretty steep though...!

EDIT: Just noticed - The packaging says, "EdP" - looks like this is an Eau De Parfum strength frag which would go some way to explaining the scary price!
    Last edited by Derbyman; 6th May 2014 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Just noticed...!

The bottle looks good too, striking yet simple. I love woody fragrances so I'm hoping the Cedar is dominant and it been resinous is a plus to. That smell of a brand new cedar lined humidor is really nice. Hoping for good reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post

The launch of Vetiver Vert kept being put back though -- that fragrance was disappointing imo
    Agreed.

I like the sound of this new one though and look forward to dispatches from the front line.

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    EDIT: Just noticed - The packaging says, "EdP" - looks like this is an Eau De Parfum strength frag which would go some way to explaining the scary price!
    Ok now I'm interested for real. This would be a first for C&S if I'm not mistaken. Don't think they had a Parfum in the men's range before.

Still having said that I love their O&C cologne and matching shaving soap. But the former's scent doesn't last a minute on me!

As I love cedar scents, would consider trying this out if I ever came across it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I enjoy C&S, esp. Cuba and Citrus Paradisi. (In other words, I like the edgier ones.) Here's hoping Spanish Cedar falls into that category. It sounds up my alley. It's not easy to sample C&S in the US, so I'm looking forward to hearing some responses from the Brits out there in Basenotesland!

It sounds so wonderful and the bottle is beautiful. I love the smell of cedar, especially clothing that's been stored in a cedar chest. I wonder if it smells anything like that?

Just received email notification from C&S:

I just got the email as well. Seems they are selling samples of this for £3 but think postage is on top of that.

The postage they are charging for a small 1ml sample is £4.50 on top of the £3 for the sample. 1st class post is 62p and a small single padded jiffy bag is about 70p. So they are been greedy and really overcharging.

I also received the email from them today. This one really has me interested.

Just clicked the link in the email. Added 2 samples to my cart... £6 - so far so good. Entered USA and my state. Now shipping is £35 - for a total of £41. Guess I'll pass for now.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    The postage they are charging for a small 1ml sample is £4.50 on top of the £3 for the sample. 1st class post is 62p and a small single padded jiffy bag is about 70p. So they are been greedy and really overcharging.
    It's a total ffin rip-off. I'm interested but I'm not that interested! Will wait until this reaches the sample shops.

I like spain and I love cedar fragrances. I want to try this as soon as possible.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Can't wait for a review! I like woody fragrances too and hoping it isn't a hamster cage.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

C&S will sell you 1ml testers of 11 of their fragrances for £12 (inc. Spanish Cedar), plus the p&p brings it to £16.50. I would be interested in Vetiver Vert and F&M, which if bought separately would be (9+4.5) £13.50. I suppose it would make more sense if you wanted to sample more than one (I have never sampled any of their lines). They'll give you a £5 voucher against a future purchase too.

Just been down to the C&S shop where they gave me a spray and a sample vial (free!) so if you're in or near that part of London it's clearly the thing to do. Of course, unless your name is Fitzwilliam D'arcy or your title is HRH you've no business shopping in Jermyn Street anyway but that never put me off. I'm shockingly bad at picking and describing notes but I can say that after the most fleeting (and rather harsh?) bergamot opening I get the cedar, blackberry, clove and tar for sure. The overall impression for me is of fine wine - no boozy note, but rather the wood and fruit you'd get from a good well oaked Cabernet Sauvignon. That and fine cigar boxes so certainly it smells rich and expensive. Anyway I'll have to give the sample a proper wear but so far thumbs up.

Since I was in that part of London I could well have visited Floris, Trumper, Taylor's and Penhaligon's but chose instead to cross Piccadilly and head up Bond Street to Chanel and Hermes to try Sycomore and Bel Ami Vetiver - neither of which I'd seen before. Although that's a tale for another thread, of the three I tried today I'm pleasantly surprised to find the C&S juice the most immediately pleasing though unfortunately the other two were out of samples and only squirted on the card.

Quote Originally Posted by MimramMan View Post
    Of course, unless your name is Fitzwilliam D'arcy or your title is HRH you've no business shopping in Jermyn Street anyway but that never put me off.
    Haha!! It's certainly got that 'old money / aristocracy' vibe down there...! I've always found the C&S shop accommodating and happy to give out samples and talk about their fragrances. I think the inflated prices for samples are to discourage people requesting them just to sell on eBay and the like. There seems to have been quite a bit of this going on in the past. Hopefully the Leeds branch of Harvey Nicks will have samples or a tester - it took about 6 months for Vetiver Vert to make it in there...!

It can feel extremley intimidating being a Mayfair shopper virgin. I rarely end up there unless ive been researching something im interested in.

Last time i took a friend to the Goyard Store and youve never seen anyone so scared in all there life, the irony is once inside most these places there really nice and friendly and down to earth, these stores are so niche the SAs no every single little detail about the products they stock.

Parts of Knightsbridge are more normal and commerical for sure.
    Last edited by DMA; 9th May 2014 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unifex View Post
    C&S will sell you 1ml testers of 11 of their fragrances for £12 (inc. Spanish Cedar), plus the p&p brings it to £16.50. I would be interested in Vetiver Vert and F&M, which if bought separately would be (9+4.5) £13.50. I suppose it would make more sense if you wanted to sample more than one (I have never sampled any of their lines). They'll give you a £5 voucher against a future purchase too.
    I bought the sample pack a while ago (long before this was released) and I’m not massively impressed by most of the ones I have tried. I still have a few that I have sniffed and don’t really fancy trying on my skin. Vetiver Vert was my favourite, F&M the biggest disappointment of the ones I’ve worn, simply as my hopes were so high, I just didn’t get it.

I much prefer Floris stuff, though I love woody fragrances so wouldn’t mind trying this one.

Quote Originally Posted by MimramMan View Post
    Just been down to the C&S shop where they gave me a spray and a sample vial (free!) so if you're in or near that part of London it's clearly the thing to do. Of course, unless your name is Fitzwilliam D'arcy or your title is HRH you've no business shopping in Jermyn Street anyway but that never put me off. I'm shockingly bad at picking and describing notes but I can say that after the most fleeting (and rather harsh?) bergamot opening I get the cedar, blackberry, clove and tar for sure. The overall impression for me is of fine wine - no boozy note, but rather the wood and fruit you'd get from a good well oaked Cabernet Sauvignon. That and fine cigar boxes so certainly it smells rich and expensive. Anyway I'll have to give the sample a proper wear but so far thumbs up.
    Thanks for reporting back, sounds pretty decent.

Quote Originally Posted by DMA View Post
    It can feel extremley intimidating being a Mayfair shopper virgin. I rarely end up there unless ive been researching something im interested in.

Last time i took a friend to the Goyard Store and youve never seen anyone so scared in all there life, the irony is once inside most these places there really nice and friendly and down to earth, these stores are so niche the SAs no every single little detail about the products they stock.

Parts of Knightsbridge are more normal and commerical for sure.
    Enter confidently, speak clearly in your best sub-Etonian and address everyone as "my good man/woman" - works for me! (OK just kidding on the last bit). And yes they are in general fine once you are in - the intimidation is in your own mind. Hermes is always in chaos if there are more than two customers in but that's just the way it is.

Hey, anyone notice it says EdP on the box?! I thought most of C&S's fragrances were edc or edt at most. Although I must say that my C&S Neroli has a lot more firepower than the Eau de Cologne it declares on its box.