Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default Colonia Leather by Acqua di Parma

Now Smell This reports:

Italian niche line Acqua di Parma has launched Colonia Leather, a new flanker to 1916's Acqua di Parma Colonia.

An original creation born from the unconventional pairing of the freshness of citrus notes found in the iconic Colonia fragrance with the rich and sensual caress of aromatic leather. Colonia Leather Eau de Cologne Concentrée recalls the artistic luxury and traditions of handcrafted leather and accessories.

Sparkling citrus top notes of Brazilian Orange and Sicilian Lime open to reveal a warm heart of Rose and Paraguayan Petit grain. The fragrance concludes with the richness of leather, Cedar Atlas and Paraguayan Guaic woods.

Colonia Leather Eau de Cologne Concentrée marks the birth of an exquisite new fragrance creation that stands out for its rare elegance and precious nature.
    Acqua di Parma Colonia Leather is $210 for 100 ml Eau de Cologne Concentrée, and can be found now at Barneys or Neiman Marcus.

Leather seems to be very popular these days. I'm not sure an EdC strength eaux-based leather scent is going to be that popular with most guys, but I guess that remains to be seen.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Colonia Leather by Acqua di Parma

I wish Harvey Nichols had it when I was there yesterday. I would be interested in smelling it, but I didn't see one.

rick

I'm looking forward to this... I want to sample for sure!!!

Sounds interesting, thanks ! I will be looking forward to smell that.

Interesting indeed. The concentration is concerning.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I'll sample, for sure, with the full intent of buying.

As for the concentration, I shared the same concern initially when I bought Colonia Oud, but that one is pretty nuclear. If the Leather has anything approaching that level of potency, there'll be no particular issue - unless you're concerned about OVER-spraying. That unwittingly happened to me with Oud the first couple of wearings.

Personally, I have high hopes for this one.

Now this sounds interesting. I'll definitely try it when I get the opportunity!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by JourneymanDave View Post
    I'll sample, for sure, with the full intent of buying.

As for the concentration, I shared the same concern initially when I bought Colonia Oud, but that one is pretty nuclear. If the Leather has anything approaching that level of potency, there'll be no particular issue - unless you're concerned about OVER-spraying. That unwittingly happened to me with Oud the first couple of wearings.

Personally, I have high hopes for this one.
    Same here.

Basenotes Plus

OK. I just called my SA in Bloomingdales.... She's got it.

So I'm on my way.

Quote Originally Posted by 601red View Post
    OK. I just called my SA in Bloomingdales.... She's got it.

So I'm on my way.
    Jealous, wasn't in stock yet at my local Neiman's.

Share your first impressions when you get it?

...so THIS is the new fragrance! There were some crossed wires over the rebranding of the oud fragrance. Glad to hear that there is in fact something new to try.

Looking forward to getting hold of this!

Basenotes Junkie

Really looking forward to sampling this as well - hopefully my store has it in stock saturday. I love the oud release from ADP, and own colonia and essenza as well. Aiming to get them all in due time, but the leather one will be especially interesting to me.

Same pricing structure as Oud, interesting.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Basenotes Plus

Jealous, wasn't in stock yet at my local Neiman's.

Share your first impressions when you get it?
    Sure, but I'd like to pull out my noob card, and use it before it expires....

Here's what I got. (on paper) Your usual Colonia line's citrus range with smooth leather, and the leather note being similar to Tuscan Leather (but smoother). My SA thought the citrus notes were closer to Colonia, and I thought it was closer to Assoluta. But we both kept going back to comparing it to Tuscan Leather...

(One hr. in on skin) It's slightly brighter than TL, due to citruses? Speaking of citruses, it has settled down and there's no sharpness. And I don't get rose - at all. Leather is prominent, but not punchy nor sour. This is rather smooth. As time passes, it is becoming closer to TL, but with ADP's Colonia line's citruses lingering ever so lightly in the background. Too early to tell, but I don't think this is going to be super beast like the Colonia Oud...

(two hrs. in) Unlike the Colonia Oud, which carries the usual ADP's citruses on to the bitter end, I'm about to say now... "what citruses?".
    Last edited by 601red; 8th May 2014 at 09:01 PM.

From your description that sounds really nice. Another sample to procure.

Here's what I got. (on paper) Your usual Colonia line's citrus range with smooth leather, and the leather note being similar to Tuscan Leather (but smoother). My SA thought the citrus notes were closer to Colonia, and I thought it was closer to Assoluta. But we both kept going back to comparing it to Tuscan Leather...

(One hr. in on skin) It's slightly brighter than TL, due to citruses? Speaking of citruses, it has settled down and there's no sharpness. And I don't get rose - at all. Leather is prominent, but not punchy. This is rather smooth. As time passes, it is becoming closer to TL, but with ADP's Colonia line's citruses lingering ever so lightly in the background. Too early to tell, but I don't think this is going to be super beast like the Colonia OUd...
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Will at least give this a try should I see it out in my area.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I am curious. I like all of adp but don't care much for leather anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got my nose on this today, and must say it nicely follows Colonia Intensa Oud. It's a nice rich velvety regal couch leather, where all the peripheral notes (citrus,floral,woods) seem to take part in accentuating the leather accord.

Sillage and performance in the opening is in the same ball park as Colonia Intensa Oud ~ while the longevity lasts just a little less, as the material sourced should. Great addition overall, for what I'll moniker the Acqua di Parma "Intensa" line.

(One hr. in on skin) It's slightly brighter than TL, due to citruses? Speaking of citruses, it has settled down and there's no sharpness. And I don't get rose - at all. Leather is prominent, but not punchy nor sour. This is rather smooth. As time passes, it is becoming closer to TL, but with ADP's Colonia line's citruses lingering ever so lightly in the background. Too early to tell, but I don't think this is going to be super beast like the Colonia Oud...

(two hrs. in) Unlike the Colonia Oud, which carries the usual ADP's citruses on to the bitter end, I'm about to say now... "what citruses?".
    Nice job describing your initial wearing. Thx for the perspective.

Personally, I think a leather-themed scent in cologne concentration is a fabulous idea, as in Dior's Eau Sauvage flanker, Fraicheur Cuir.
    This one sounds rather different from the Dior, and I'm going off to my local Bloomies today to try. And if they don't have it, I'll badger them until they do!

An excellent leather fragrance that moves to head of the class of large group of great new leather fragrances. This is the everyday leather choice in the group of "new" leathers that I have been sampling. Out of the group of LM Hard Leather, Memo Italian Leather, Memo Irish Leather, Memo Shams - AdP Colonia Leather is the choice for everyday pure and simple leather. Although these others are wilder and more on the edge, AdP is just fine with its ordinariness.

Sampled this a couple of days ago and received a big spray sample from the SA to take home and study. This is the leather of choice for all of the Tuscan Leather fans to move on to. It smells very similar to TF Tuscan Leather but is much truer to the smell that leather actually has. There is that same slight raspberry note that helps the leather have a sueded, rough-out real leather aroma. Warm and full bodied and very "user friendly". There is a warming eau de cologne heart to the leather that might be interpreted as a Colonia note I suppose. Anyway, I do like this leather more than the two that it most resembles - Tuscan Leather and Charles Street. Well done!
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 10th May 2014 at 02:35 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    AdP Colonia Leather is the choice for everyday pure and simple leather...This is the leather of choice for all of the Tuscan Leather fans to move on to. It smells very similar to TF Tuscan Leather but is much truer to the smell that leather actually has. There is that same slight raspberry note that helps the leather have a sueded, rough-out real leather aroma...Warm and full bodied and very "user friendly".
    100% agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    An excellent leather fragrance that moves to head of the class of large group of great new leather fragrances. This is the everyday leather choice in the group of "new" leathers that I have been sampling. Out of the group of LM Hard Leather, Memo Italian Leather, Memo Irish Leather, Memo Shams - AdP Colonia Leather is the choice for everyday pure and simple leather. Although these others are wilder and more on the edge, AdP is just fine with its ordinariness.

Sampled this a couple of days ago and received a big spray sample from the SA to take home and study. This is the leather of choice for all of the Tuscan Leather fans to move on to. It smells very similar to TF Tuscan Leather but is much truer to the smell that leather actually has. There is that same slight raspberry note that helps the leather have a sueded, rough-out real leather aroma. Warm and full bodied and very "user friendly". There is a warming eau de cologne heart to the leather that might be interpreted as a Colonia note I suppose. Anyway, I do like this leather more than the two that it most resembles - Tuscan Leather and Charles Street. Well done!
    Close to my own thoughts. I bought this at the weekend.

Agree with all of the Tuscan Leather comparisons, including the raspberry note. To me it's a smoother, milder, easier to wear version of TL.....and a little bit better for it, in my opinion. Very well done.....if a little on the pricey side.

Sprayed this on at Neiman Marcus yesterday after being impressed with its impression on a card. Sadly my nose was a bit blasted from so many other things I'd sniffed, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. Distinctly leather, but in a modern sense (this is not the old-school classic leather accord of Knize Ten or Cuir de Russie). Has a smooth warmth, and despite I'm sure involving any number of chemicals (after all, that's how real leather is treated), it doesn't come across as overly easy or cheap. I also liked the distinct guaiac wood in the far dry down. Might be looking into a bottle. Meantime I'm eager to read more impressions.

Wearing this again today and enjoying it very much.

I am so amped to get my nose on this one! How would you guys compare it to Derby?

Quote Originally Posted by powerhouse View Post
    I am so amped to get my nose on this one! How would you guys compare it to Derby?
    This doesn't smell anything like Derby to me. It's modern and smooth, very much like leather to me (think furniture or a leather belt perhaps), whereas Derby's accord is more dated and, for me, very bitter. The AdP is also much more about the leather effect where Derby is a full chypre composition with more going on.

I've been wanting a nice leather fragrance. I definitely want to sample it.

I noticed that they have this one in a 6oz bottle at Nordstrom for $265. The 3.3oz at Neiman's is $210.

This is on my "to buy list". A solid leather with nothing at all objectionable. It also layers well with other fragrance - rose, EDC or green woods + a single spray of AdP Colonia Leather over the top; if you want to add some softness or dial that floral or oud down a notch by addition of a quiet leather base note, this will do. I like the versatility of it.

I am dying to try this since I absolutely love their Oud creation.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    I am dying to try this since I absolutely love their Oud creation.
    Sniffed it a week or so ago. Really, really good right of the bat. Close to Tuscan Leather, with a remembrance of Colonia Oud.

I tried this Hednic, you will not like it, a watered down Tuscan Leather in a nutshell.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    I tried this Hednic, you will not like it, a watered down Tuscan Leather in a nutshell.
    I haven't tried it yet, but that's what I've been hearing a lot lately. Some say it's really good, but others either say it's a watered down TL or just too similar to TL. Maybe worth sampling, but I won't be blind buying it.

tried it a few days ago beside a bottle of clive C. i actually liked colonia leather a little bit better than the clive C, although both were very good (not sure if C is worth the $ to me though...). my experience with leather fragrances is somewhat limited, only tried ~10 different fragrances so far.

of those that i've tried, this is my favorite "softer" leather, heeley's cuir pleine fleur was more favorite i guess traditional leather scent.

compared to TL, they actually smelled different to me - colonia was not a diluted version of TL. it wasn't until dry down that it came closer to TL. and I can see this one being more versatile whereas i would only wear TL in cooler weather, which isn't often enough around here. like 601red said above me, it does feel bright and smooth for a leather fragrance, most likely b/c of the citrus notes, but at the same time, you don't quite smell all of the citrus notes individually. they just kind of blend in and make the smell brighter - i guess a parallel would be how some notes are very blended together in some chanel scents.

ultimately, to buy or not, yes, i will buy a full bottle, but no, i will not be buying soon - even if i do feel it is more versatile, i still wouldn't get enough use out of it in the coming months. for reference, i would not buy a full bottle of TL (would buy a split if the opportunity arose as the colder months approached though).
    Last edited by fp627; 23rd May 2014 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    I haven't tried it yet, but that's what I've been hearing a lot lately. Some say it's really good, but others either say it's a watered down TL or just too similar to TL. Maybe worth sampling, but I won't be blind buying it.
    It is very similar to Tuscan Leather, but the phrase 'watered down' does it a disservice IMO. Lighter, yes. Watered down, no. It's a subtle difference but for me an important one.

Wearing it right now. Similarities to Tuscan Leather cannot be avoided. But it is not as potent. Nice quality for sure. Very AdP worthy.

Too similar to Tuscan Leather for me to consider, but this is a nice scent. Sueded leather is what the SA said, Not inaccurate.

received my 180ml bottle of this today. stunning! 10/10.

i also own Tuscan Leather. yes, they are similar. however, TL is (like most Tom Fords) quite loud and brash. ADP Leather is much better balanced. take the raspberry out of TL and inject orange and lime in its place, and you have ADP Leather. the leather note itself is very similar, but i agree that it's a tad lighter (more suede-ish) than TL.

AdP is on a tear right now between this and their Oud scent. excited to see what comes next. Amber? please?

I mailed them asking if I could BUY a sample, but they refused!

Ridiculous.

Since I bought the Oud and totally love it, chances are high that I might like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    You were right. Tried it and didn't care for it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I'm wearing this again today, liking it very much. Close the elusive 5 stars IMO....!

Best purchase in a while.

Looks like a Harrods exclusive for the time being. Darn! Really need to go into town to try some new things out - my list has been growing lately...

To me this is like the smell of a saddle made of real leather... that someone forgot in the barnyard with all the horses for a few days so now the leather has all that barnyardy/animalic smell all over it.

Not a bad leather fragrance at all... especially for those who love the note!

Sniffed it a week or so ago. Really, really good right of the bat. Close to Tuscan Leather, with a remembrance of Colonia Oud.
    Ok, I'm updating the above now that I've received my decant and had a fair chance to wear the AdP side by side with Tuscan Leather.

Smelled individually, they evoke a similar scent, but in reality I could easily distinguish between them on my skin, especially as they dried down.

AdP has a distinctive citrus accord compared to TL. It also pulls the smoky quality way back. "Fresh" would be stretching it, but compared to TL it comes across a bit fresher. I can actually see wearing the AdP in the summer, while there's not much utility in doing so with TL. It's just too much, and would be overly heavy.

The overall quality of the leather is in the same area, and there is a similar kind of sweetness/fruitiness underlying both though. Strength is good for an EDC on the ADP, but not as nuclear as AdP Oud. It's acceptable for day wear though.

So the comparison is still valid, but less so than I initially thought when smelling them I individually. I think I could see owning both. If I get through a 30ml decant of the AdP, I'll add a FB to my collection.

Default ADP Colonia Leather

Caught a whiff of this over the weekend at a local Nordstrom's; in a word, Fantastic!

And unlike other fragrances from this house, the scent lingered on the part of my forearm I sprayed it on, into the next morning!

The downside: it goes for a couple Hundred bucks.

I'm hoping a few splits go up for this one, because I'd love a more affordable 30ml. decant.

Default Re: ADP Colonia Leather

This one is nice for lighter days but if you wanna mess with a heavy weight then Tuscan Leather is the man for championship belt....
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: ADP Colonia Leather

Hi!
    Just merging with the existing thread.
    Thanks.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Will sample when available.

Basenotes Plus

I recently recieved a 20ml split of this. Wore it the other day and love it! Very similar to TL but minus that annoying as hell raspberry note that TL has. Longevity was superb and silage was just right. Will buy a FB sometime in the future.
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather

Usually I'm not a big leather fan, but I tested this one today and I must say I'm impressed! A smooth blend of citrus, berries and leather. Ultra-classy! Bye bye Tuscan Leather...

Smelled it yesterday talked to the ADP rep....She had some other new ones too in the blue bottles....Not too shabby...Leather to me smelled just like TF Tuscan Leather...Nothing new here....
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR FALL/WINTER:
    1.) Helmut Lang Cuiron (Vintage)
    2.) Tiffany for men (Vintage)
    3.) Bel Ami Vetiver
    4.) New York Intense
    5.) Nicolai Carre d'as
    6.) Cartier Declaration Essence
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE/Sycomore
    8.) Houbigant Fougere Royale
    9.) L'Homme Sage
    10.) Bond no. 9 Scent of Peace

Basenotes Junkie

It's definitely up Tuscan Leathers street, but the raspberries are toned down a tad, and it's less dense, less intense and less dark. There is a certain Aqua Di Parma lithe to it that I don't get from Tuscan Leather.

Could you own both? Sure.

Should you? I'm really not sure - going to test them side by side as I've got a sample of ADP's leather here as well as my trusty old Tuscan Lather bottle. They're similar - very similar - but still something different. Looking forward to spending some more time with them.

I placed an order for this one yesterday... after only one try a week earlier. The opening is very heavy on the citrus, which AdP does very well, of course. A gorgeous burst of lemon. Then there are some similarities to TL, but - from what I remember - certainly not a clone. Will report back...
    For swap/sale: Vintage Tiffany for Men, Histoires de Parfums 1740 Marquis de Sade, Loewe Pour Homme, Pure Malt 2013, Floris Vetiver, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Quote Originally Posted by hreple View Post
    It's definitely up Tuscan Leathers street, but the raspberries are toned down a tad, and it's less dense, less intense and less dark. There is a certain Aqua Di Parma lithe to it that I don't get from Tuscan Leather.

Could you own both? Sure.

Should you? I'm really not sure - going to test them side by side as I've got a sample of ADP's leather here as well as my trusty old Tuscan Lather bottle. They're similar - very similar - but still something different. Looking forward to spending some more time with them.
    Excellent comparison/contrast of the two, that I happen to agree with, having worn both side-by-side.

I already own TL, and started with a decant of the AdP. I probably will just use up this decant instead of buying a FB, but only because I already have TL. I feel like it's definitely a good call to have one or the other, but having both is a tad redundant.

If I owned neither and was picking only one... now there's the really tough call

Excellent comparison/contrast of the two, that I happen to agree with, having worn both side-by-side.

I already own TL, and started with a decant of the AdP. I probably will just use up this decant instead of buying a FB, but only because I already have TL. I feel like it's definitely a good call to have one or the other, but having both is a tad redundant.

If I owned neither and was picking only one... now there's the really tough call
    I own both, but if I didn't already own TL, I wouldn't have bothered acquiring it now CL is here! Of the two I much prefer the newcomer.

Quote Originally Posted by Davem81 View Post
    I own both, but if I didn't already own TL, I wouldn't have bothered acquiring it now CL is here! Of the two I much prefer the newcomer.
    I also have Puredistance M too....Is this one too close to that one too? I'm trying not to be redundant with my scents anymore....even if its off just a tad....What is your thoughts on these two?
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR FALL/WINTER:
    1.) Helmut Lang Cuiron (Vintage)
    2.) Tiffany for men (Vintage)
    3.) Bel Ami Vetiver
    4.) New York Intense
    5.) Nicolai Carre d'as
    6.) Cartier Declaration Essence
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE/Sycomore
    8.) Houbigant Fougere Royale
    9.) L'Homme Sage
    10.) Bond no. 9 Scent of Peace

Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    I also have Puredistance M too....Is this one too close to that one too? I'm trying not to be redundant with my scents anymore....even if its off just a tad....What is your thoughts on these two?
    I've only sampled M, but from my recollection it's a different kind of leather, pretty spicy and still classy - but in a different vein than TL.

I think there'd be less similarity between M and the other two, than there is between TL and the AdP Leather. Since I don't have a FB of M to test side-by-side though, consider that a half-informed opinion.

Is Colonia Leather discontinued? It's no longer listed on their home page.. (it's there, but when you click on it, it says: "not on sale anymore")
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 15th July 2014 at 11:15 AM.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Is Colonia Leather discontinued? It's no longer listed on their home page.. (it's there, but when you click on it, it says: "not on sale anymore")
    It could be many reasons for that. My guess is that they are out of stock because of popularity. First in Fragrance list both bottles sizes immediately available for purchase. It makes no sense that they should discontinue this new and very popular scent even before it reaches full distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight99 View Post
    very popular scent
    Is it really popular?
    Are they getting good sales from this?

It's still available on neimanmarcus.com, but you need to look for it in the women's fragrances subcategory. Don't ask me why.