Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Most Elegant Vetiver?

I love vetiver; I own a few and want to buy more. I was wondering what in your opinion is the the most elegant vetiver you've smelled?

Off topic slightly but I want to try Vetiver Pour Elle by Guerlain has it been discontinued or is it still for sale? If it's still on sale does anyone know if it's available in the UK? I asked at my local Guerlain counter but they had never heard of it.

Thanks,

Blue

Default Re: Most Elegant Vetiver?

I don't really think of vetiver as "elegant", since some of my favorites (Route du vetiver, Turtle Vetiver Back, etc.) would probably be the opposite of "elegant".

However, some that may be a bit more elegant that I love would be Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Creed Original Vetiver, and Armani Prive Vetiver Babylone.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Creed - Virgin Island Water
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Creed - Original Cologne
    10. Clive Christian - 1872 for Men

Hmmm -- 'Elegant' to me could imply stuffiness. I prefer the fresh, confident, cool type like the Guerlain or Lubin versions

Vetiver Pour Elle has never been available in the UK as far as I know -- only France

I was going to suggest Vetiver Pour Elle when I saw the Thread title, but 'elegant' is in the eye of the beholder, of course - others may prefer darker or smokier vetivers.

It was officially discontinued a year or two ago and I think most of the immediate sources have run dry altho I'm sure the odd bottle may be lurking in more out of the way Guerlain flagship stores or counters. I cleaned up the HK supply some time ago - it's my favourite, as you might have gathered by now.

The Dior Privee Vetiver was nice but that one lasted about five minutes . . . what were they thinking?

The current Guerlain is good - and if you haven't already I would suggest trying Sycomore and Vetiver Extraordinaire for the other side of the coin, the darker, more austere approach.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

The Dior is by far the most elegant vetiver I've tried. I don't have any longevity issues with it, 24+ hours on clothing and at least 12 on skin. Wore it to a wedding last year and took my suit the the dry cleaners 2 weeks later...the smell was still clinging on to my suit.
    MadHat Scents

Skiff (Ambergris, Tropical Fruit, Pacific Red Cedar, Floral Mukhallat) / Embers - ONLY 135ml Left (Un-burned Incense, Campfires, Leather and Resins) / Khus (Ruh Khus, Sandalwood, Rose, Geranium)

Basenotes Institution

Sycomore by Chanel
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Guerlain and Villoresi, best classic vetivers around (to me, for vetiver, classic equals elegant).

My sales thread | Rare, discontinued & vintage stuff!

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    The Dior is by far the most elegant vetiver I've tried. I don't have any longevity issues with it, 24+ hours on clothing and at least 12 on skin. Wore it to a wedding last year and took my suit the the dry cleaners 2 weeks later...the smell was still clinging on to my suit.
    Agreed; I have no longevity problems with Dior Vetiver. In fact, it's very robust on me -- lasts all day easily. I wouldn't necessarily call this one "elegant," though I do think it's beautiful. But to me it's a bit more rugged, and a glowing green emerald. I actually find Vetiver Extraordinaire to be elegant.

For me, Sycomore is the most elegant. It manages to retain the crisp freshness of the material, but yet it also has some woody-smoky element that make it serious and elegant, suited also for business and night events.

The Dior lasts very well on me - actually it feels more aggressive than Sycomore, and it feels fresher. I haven't seen much vetiver pour elle, but as others were saying, perhaps it is still found somewhere, and Guerlain may well do other batches. I would check with the main guerlain store in the UK (not sure where it is). In any case, it's quite particular, very floral, so perhaps not "elegant" in the usual masculine sense. I love florals, but I think it also had some marine elements, so I was a bit ambivalent (since I don't like marine). But if you like marine, that should be something to try (a that point, however, I'd also check into other floral marine things, like Le Labo Neroli or, for a more beachy feel, Malle Lys Mediterranee).

cacio

I'd say the most elegant fragrance I own is The Different Company's Sel de Vétiver -- and look at that it's a vetiver as well! Definitely worth trying. It's my go-to for weddings, nights out, etc.

The others listed here are all great possibilities as well. Sel de Vetiver, though, to me has a slightly more modern feel, which I prefer.
    Currently wearing: Brooklyn by Bond No. 9

Vetiver by L'Artisan Parfumeur is one I like a lot but there are so many other excellent ones.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Vetiver by Roja Dove
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I am partial to Creeds Original Vetiver

Sent from my iPhone using the power of AWESOME

Oh also Racine by MPeG is a great refined vetiver.

My sales thread | Rare, discontinued & vintage stuff!

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Elegant? - hard to contemplate... I guess for me it would be a toss up between Mazzolari Vetiver and Vetiver Pour Elle

Derby
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Junkie

My first thought was that vetiver isn't elegant. I'm glad I'm not the only one. If I had to pick one, Sycamore is probably the closest for me. Still not my favorite though. I prefer guerlain or atelier.

thanks
    rick

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Sycomore by Chanel
    Ditto... pure class

Red Vetyver from Montale

I'd say Vetiver Extraordinaire is the most "elegant" vetivers. Sel de Vetiver is another good choice.

There are dozens around, Villoresi, Dior, Vintage Guerlain, Ferre, Route du Vetiver, Creed, Sel de Vetiver, Encre Noir, Private Label Jovoy, V. Extraordinaire, Bois d'Ombrie, Athunis Sigilli. My favorite is still probably Etro.
    Currently wearing: Eight & Bob by Eight & Bob

I'm a big vetiver fan, and own many. When I think elegant, however, the two that come to mind for me are Roja Dove Vetiver and Creed vintage Vetiver. There are many others that I love, but these would be what I reach for in a more upscale setting.

Basenotes Plus

Ah, yes, forgot about Creed Vetiver (1948, not the current "Original Vetiver" which pales by comparison). I have maybe 15ml left, so I use it very sparingly. Hard to come by anymore so it's a bit of a special-occassion type scent, or to just sit at home, spray it on and contemplate its past glory. Only downfall to this one (besides price) it its abysmal longevity.

Darvant - you've mentioned Jovoy Private Label a few times as your favorite vetiver. Funny, I have a bottle and absolutely LOVE, LOVE this one, but for some reason I never think of it as a vetiver fragrance. That gummy, resinous, papyrus and sandalwood feel from it just takes over the vetiver and goes in a whole new direction. I guess when I think "vetiver" I need to see it, feel it, smell it, as the key ingredient, whereas in Private Label it's there, but it's... not the key player. Nevertheless, it made my top-5 list of all time favorite fragrances after just one sniff - I'm wearing it today in fact. GLORIOUS, just glorious.
    Currently wearing: Odoon by Pekji

Blog Entries

Vetiver Pour Elle and Sel de Vetiver are my "metro elegance" vetivers. Tom Ford Grey Vetiver is my elegant guy vetiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if this could be classified as a true Vetiver per se, but the one that's always captured my attention, and is very classy in an aristocratic, old world sort of way is Lubin's Itasca.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Most elegant... Hmmmmm..... Givenchy Vetyver feels soft, warm and 'elegant' to me. Roja Dove Vetiver Extrait is also very refined and black-tie ready.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You nailed it. Givenchy was the first one I thought of.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JuliusPleaser View Post
    I don't know if this could be classified as a true Vetiver per se, but the one that's always captured my attention, and is very classy in an aristocratic, old world sort of way is Lubin's Itasca.
    Itasca is a great example of vetiver's chameleon nature - especially in the hands of an imaginative perfumer. The idea of a feminine redwood chypre out of vetiver - as they say, "who woulda thunk?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another one for Sycomore, which exudes elegance.