Code of Conduct

Default Most Elegant Vetiver?

I love vetiver; I own a few and want to buy more. I was wondering what in your opinion is the the most elegant vetiver you've smelled?

Off topic slightly but I want to try Vetiver Pour Elle by Guerlain has it been discontinued or is it still for sale? If it's still on sale does anyone know if it's available in the UK? I asked at my local Guerlain counter but they had never heard of it.

Thanks,

Blue

Default Re: Most Elegant Vetiver?

I don't really think of vetiver as "elegant", since some of my favorites (Route du vetiver, Turtle Vetiver Back, etc.) would probably be the opposite of "elegant".

However, some that may be a bit more elegant that I love would be Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Creed Original Vetiver, and Armani Prive Vetiver Babylone.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Hmmm -- 'Elegant' to me could imply stuffiness. I prefer the fresh, confident, cool type like the Guerlain or Lubin versions

Vetiver Pour Elle has never been available in the UK as far as I know -- only France

I was going to suggest Vetiver Pour Elle when I saw the Thread title, but 'elegant' is in the eye of the beholder, of course - others may prefer darker or smokier vetivers.

It was officially discontinued a year or two ago and I think most of the immediate sources have run dry altho I'm sure the odd bottle may be lurking in more out of the way Guerlain flagship stores or counters. I cleaned up the HK supply some time ago - it's my favourite, as you might have gathered by now.

The Dior Privee Vetiver was nice but that one lasted about five minutes . . . what were they thinking?

The current Guerlain is good - and if you haven't already I would suggest trying Sycomore and Vetiver Extraordinaire for the other side of the coin, the darker, more austere approach.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

The Dior is by far the most elegant vetiver I've tried. I don't have any longevity issues with it, 24+ hours on clothing and at least 12 on skin. Wore it to a wedding last year and took my suit the the dry cleaners 2 weeks later...the smell was still clinging on to my suit.

Basenotes Institution

Sycomore by Chanel
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Guerlain and Villoresi, best classic vetivers around (to me, for vetiver, classic equals elegant).
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | YSL M7 AS, Ungaro II EDT, Gucci Envy for Men AS, Signoricci EDT, Capucci PH EDT, Montana PH EDT...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    The Dior is by far the most elegant vetiver I've tried. I don't have any longevity issues with it, 24+ hours on clothing and at least 12 on skin. Wore it to a wedding last year and took my suit the the dry cleaners 2 weeks later...the smell was still clinging on to my suit.
    Agreed; I have no longevity problems with Dior Vetiver. In fact, it's very robust on me -- lasts all day easily. I wouldn't necessarily call this one "elegant," though I do think it's beautiful. But to me it's a bit more rugged, and a glowing green emerald. I actually find Vetiver Extraordinaire to be elegant.

For me, Sycomore is the most elegant. It manages to retain the crisp freshness of the material, but yet it also has some woody-smoky element that make it serious and elegant, suited also for business and night events.

The Dior lasts very well on me - actually it feels more aggressive than Sycomore, and it feels fresher. I haven't seen much vetiver pour elle, but as others were saying, perhaps it is still found somewhere, and Guerlain may well do other batches. I would check with the main guerlain store in the UK (not sure where it is). In any case, it's quite particular, very floral, so perhaps not "elegant" in the usual masculine sense. I love florals, but I think it also had some marine elements, so I was a bit ambivalent (since I don't like marine). But if you like marine, that should be something to try (a that point, however, I'd also check into other floral marine things, like Le Labo Neroli or, for a more beachy feel, Malle Lys Mediterranee).

cacio

I'd say the most elegant fragrance I own is The Different Company's Sel de Vétiver -- and look at that it's a vetiver as well! Definitely worth trying. It's my go-to for weddings, nights out, etc.

The others listed here are all great possibilities as well. Sel de Vetiver, though, to me has a slightly more modern feel, which I prefer.

Vetiver by L'Artisan Parfumeur is one I like a lot but there are so many other excellent ones.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Vetiver by Roja Dove
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I am partial to Creeds Original Vetiver

Sent from my iPhone using the power of AWESOME

Oh also Racine by MPeG is a great refined vetiver.
    My current top five:

Fendi - Theorema
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | YSL M7 AS, Ungaro II EDT, Gucci Envy for Men AS, Signoricci EDT, Capucci PH EDT, Montana PH EDT...

Elegant? - hard to contemplate... I guess for me it would be a toss up between Mazzolari Vetiver and Vetiver Pour Elle

Derby
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Junkie

My first thought was that vetiver isn't elegant. I'm glad I'm not the only one. If I had to pick one, Sycamore is probably the closest for me. Still not my favorite though. I prefer guerlain or atelier.

thanks
    rick

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Sycomore by Chanel
    Ditto... pure class

Red Vetyver from Montale

I'd say Vetiver Extraordinaire is the most "elegant" vetivers. Sel de Vetiver is another good choice.

There are dozens around, Villoresi, Dior, Vintage Guerlain, Ferre, Route du Vetiver, Creed, Sel de Vetiver, Encre Noir, Private Label Jovoy, V. Extraordinaire, Bois d'Ombrie, Athunis Sigilli. My favorite is still probably Etro.

I'm a big vetiver fan, and own many. When I think elegant, however, the two that come to mind for me are Roja Dove Vetiver and Creed vintage Vetiver. There are many others that I love, but these would be what I reach for in a more upscale setting.

Basenotes Plus

Ah, yes, forgot about Creed Vetiver (1948, not the current "Original Vetiver" which pales by comparison). I have maybe 15ml left, so I use it very sparingly. Hard to come by anymore so it's a bit of a special-occassion type scent, or to just sit at home, spray it on and contemplate its past glory. Only downfall to this one (besides price) it its abysmal longevity.

Darvant - you've mentioned Jovoy Private Label a few times as your favorite vetiver. Funny, I have a bottle and absolutely LOVE, LOVE this one, but for some reason I never think of it as a vetiver fragrance. That gummy, resinous, papyrus and sandalwood feel from it just takes over the vetiver and goes in a whole new direction. I guess when I think "vetiver" I need to see it, feel it, smell it, as the key ingredient, whereas in Private Label it's there, but it's... not the key player. Nevertheless, it made my top-5 list of all time favorite fragrances after just one sniff - I'm wearing it today in fact. GLORIOUS, just glorious.

Blog Entries

Vetiver Pour Elle and Sel de Vetiver are my "metro elegance" vetivers. Tom Ford Grey Vetiver is my elegant guy vetiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if this could be classified as a true Vetiver per se, but the one that's always captured my attention, and is very classy in an aristocratic, old world sort of way is Lubin's Itasca.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Most elegant... Hmmmmm..... Givenchy Vetyver feels soft, warm and 'elegant' to me. Roja Dove Vetiver Extrait is also very refined and black-tie ready.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You nailed it. Givenchy was the first one I thought of.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JuliusPleaser View Post
    I don't know if this could be classified as a true Vetiver per se, but the one that's always captured my attention, and is very classy in an aristocratic, old world sort of way is Lubin's Itasca.
    Itasca is a great example of vetiver's chameleon nature - especially in the hands of an imaginative perfumer. The idea of a feminine redwood chypre out of vetiver - as they say, "who woulda thunk?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another one for Sycomore, which exudes elegance.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    My skin sucks up a lot of fragrances and many don't tend to las on me as long as some people claim, but Dior Vetiver lasts a solid 12+ hours even on my skin. Much longer on clothes (24+).
    By 'lasted five minutes' I meant it was discontinued almost as soon as it hit the shelves
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Sycomore by Chanel
    Agree entirely.

Ya, sad to see this one go.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    By 'lasted five minutes' I meant it was discontinued almost as soon as it hit the shelves
    I could see the Jovoy being considered a high class, elegant fragrance. Not my cup of tea though...after trying it yesterday. I do not like the vetiver/leather/patch combination...something about it just doesn't sit right with me.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    You nailed it. Givenchy was the first one I thought of.
    Me too. A refined understated Vetiver fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

Default Most Elegant Vetiver?

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable
    Ah, I see. Well, 5 minutes, 5 years, what's the difference. :-) Yes, it's been out since 2010... RIP 2014. But I'm totally with you on this one - I had a bottle about half full, but in March I bought two large backup bottles, 8.4oz each. This should last me a lifetime... I hope. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne
    I could see the Jovoy being considered a high class, elegant fragrance. Not my cup of tea though...after trying it yesterday. I do not like the vetiver/leather/patch combination...something about it just doesn't sit right with me.
    Ah, Private Label, love at first sniff. Sorry to hear you don't like it as much - I personally love it! It's a raw, yet so refined composition, full on elegance (someone posted a picture of George Clooney in a tux as the description of this fragrance, lol), extremely persistent and long lasting. I love the opening which is quite strong, but then there's the drydown that can go on for 18+++ hours, without changing too much at all, it's just pure bliss. And even though it's not cheap, it's actually cheaper than Turtle Vetiver Back, which is somewhat similar in overall vibe but doesn't last half as long.

Speaking of Turtle Vetiver Back - I think they should get an honorary award for the least effort spent on bottle, label and packaging... or lack of it. For the equivalent of $250 for 100ml, you get a generic bottle with a cap that will not stay on at all, home made label printed on clear plastic with a lot of bubbles underneath and not adhering to the bottle quite right, and the packaging - well, there isn't any, LuckyScent stuck it in a plastic tube 4 times as long as the bottle, and filled it with paper and packing popcorn so it wouldn't rattle in shipping. $250/100ml is pretty high up there, you'd expect a bit more effort put into packaging and presentation. But at least the fragrance is decent, so at least there's that... :-]

Creed's Original Vetiver is my favorite vetiver, but for most "elegant," it would have to be Creed Vetiver 1948. Suave and class in a bottle, to me.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...-Vert-*SAMPLES

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Basenotes Plus

Original Vetiver gets my vote for elegant style. But Chanel Sycamore is right up there too.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Creed's Original Vetiver is my favorite vetiver, but for most "elegant," it would have to be Creed Vetiver 1948. Suave and class in a bottle, to me.
    Yes, Vetiver 48 reeks of elegance. I also agree with the Sycomore and Dior suggestions.

The best and the most elegant: Chanel Sycomore

Agree with Givenchy, Original Vetiver and Racine. I'd also add Floris Vetiver and Bel Ami Vetiver.
    For swap/sale: Vintage Tiffany for Men, Histoires de Parfums 1740 Marquis de Sade, 1 Million Absolutely Gold, Prada Amber pour Homme DELUXE version, Loewe Pour Homme, Pure Malt 2013, Floris Vetiver, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

For me simply the old Guerlain Vetiver....
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit

Vetiver Orientale Serge Lutens
    Current Favorites

Creed- Windsor
    Serge Lutens- Chergui
    Creed- GIT
    Lolita Lempica Au Masculin
    Ysl M7
    Creed-Aventus
    Pure Malt
    Chanel Egoiste
    Egyptian Goddess
    Serge Lutens- Arabie
    Frederic Malle- Musc Ravageur
    Acqua di Parma- Mandorlo

Sycomore for me.

To me, those with vetiver prominence tend to be cudgels. That said, the more elegant I know of would include Original Vetiver, L'Occitane Vetyver, and Mona's Vetyver.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Yes. Mona Di Orio. Classy in its simplicity and restraint. Vetiver remains the star of the show with little in the way of distraction. Sparkling Citrus opening with hints of resinous vanilla and soft florals and just a tiny bit animalic.

For sub $100 its an easy Encre Noire vote for me. Above that and the competition gets very crowded with about 735 different presentations. I'd grab a big bottle of EN and start ordering decants....

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    Guerlain and Villoresi, best classic vetivers around (to me, for vetiver, classic equals elegant).
    Agreed. You can't go wrong with "classic" (i.e. timeless).

Quote Originally Posted by nfn1983 View Post
    For me simply the old Guerlain Vetiver....
    Same here.

Hermes Vetiver Tonka is what I would characterize as elegant, sophisticated and class

I favor Guerlain EdC or vintage EdT.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Another vote for Sycomore, although Carlo Corinto Vetyver is intriguing.
    Last edited by kbe; 8th May 2014 at 12:42 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Seconding especially Creed OV and TF Grey Vetiver- both very natural, yet also very smooth and classy in their apparent simplicity.

Basenotes Plus

I have been lucky enough to try samples of Sycomore and Amouage Dia on the last two evenings and I think that both are fantastic

I still have a soft spot for Encre Noire though

Vetiver for Men by Guerlain. elegant and timeless.

Basenotes Plus

Private Label
    Supercilium
    Vetiver Extraordinaire

For those who have tried it, how does Bel Ami Vétiver stack up?
    In my mind, elegant and Hermès usually go hand in hand.

I really hope to try this one soon.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

I'll add Theseus by Villoresi - an elegant, contemporary crowdpleaser..
    My current top five:

Fendi - Theorema
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    Vetiver by Roja Dove
    Agreed.