Code of Conduct

Question Can't find Cashmeran oils...HELP!

Hi everyone,

Hope you all smell fantastic wearing your own perfume

I'm a newcomer and trying to make my own perfume for personal collection. I really like Hugo Boss Just Different EDT and I've found the oils used for that in this website.
    Ive found all the essential oils required expect Cashmeran and Freesia, the base and mid notes. As I just want to try how it works, I'm buying these essential oils on Ebay.co.uk but could not find cashmeran and Freesia.

Can anyone please give me couple of substitutes for Cashmeran and Freesia?? How about Cashmere?(I know nothing will replace the exact notes but I just want to try mixing the substitute with other oils).

Cheers!

Polite request: I ONLYneed substitutes. So please don't give an idea where I can buy the original notes
    Last edited by zakmuh; 6th May 2014 at 08:50 PM.

Default Re: Can't find Cashmeran oils...HELP!

Hi & welcome, zakmuh!

We'll move your thread to the DIY section - there are some good 'sticky' threads with loads of info. over there.
    http://www.basenotes.net/forums/15-Fragrance-DIY

p.s. - Cashmeran is a synthetic.

Hi lpp,

My apologies for posting in the wrong section, sorry! And...thanks for your help on this. As its synthetic, I can make it on my own I believe? Could you give me the combination please? How about Freesia?

Cashmeran can be purchased here:http://www.hermitageoils.com/cashmeran

Sorry, I didn't notice you were UK ... link now corrected to UK Supplier.

Freesia can be purchased here:
    http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/...html#plz102230 However they don't ship to UK. You can sub in simply Linalool and Pheynl Ethyl alcohol in a 9:1 ratio, possibly/probably.

PK

Good luck to you.

PK
    Last edited by pkiler; 7th May 2014 at 10:07 PM.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Thanks pkiler

Linalool is Basil? Basil is required as one of the mid notes and I've already got it.

Yup, there are essential oil suppliers in the UK but I can't get all the oils under one seller. They at least miss one oil and they have minimum quantity limit!

Have you got any substitutes for Cashmeran
    Last edited by zakmuh; 7th May 2014 at 06:30 AM.

Any other name for Cashmeran?....Like Frankincense for Olibanum

Zakmuh, Cashmeran is Cashmeran. It is not known by any other name, commonly. Linalool is NOT basil. Basil contains Linalool, but many other interesting things besides, to make it smell like, well, basil. Seems like you have a lot of reading up to do Good luck!

Linalool is a chemical that is found in many Essential Oils including Bergamot, Lavender, Petitgrain, and Basil. It can also be made synthetically, in many ways. One way to make Linalool synthetically is to use Turpentine as a starting material, and do some chemistry on it.

Cashmeran was first made by the fragrance company IFF. It has a long and complex chemical name:-
    1,2,3,5,6,7-Hexahydro-1,2,3,3-Penta methyl-4h-Inden-4one. Cashmeran is easier.

Quote Originally Posted by zakmuh View Post
    Hi lpp,
    As its synthetic, I can make it on my own I believe? Could you give me the combination please? How about Freesia?
    Cashmeran is a single molecule. Any essential oil is biult up af many, even several hundreds of molecules. Therefor you can never blend oils to get the smell of a molecule. It's the other way around. You can build a replica of, say freesia, by combining several molecules (or aromachemicals as they're called in the perfume world). It's quite difficult work most of the time. I don't think freesia can be extaxted from the flower (might be wrong) so the easiest way to gey freesia is to find a perfume base (a blend of aromachemicals to reproduce the smell of a single note made for professional use) or just a freesia perfume oil (blends intended to smell like the real thing, but not meant to be used in fine fragrances).

Trufflehunter...yeah youre absolutely right mate. I gotta do loadsa reading. I'm on it

David Ruskin..I've seen you replying to loadsa threads and you're well experiences. Thanks

Accolon....Thanks for your good info

Check out the 'stickies', zakmuh
    http://www.basenotes.net/forums/15-Fragrance-DIY

For a linalool substitute, you could also use Ho Wood EO, or Rosewood EO, they are primarily Linalool.

If you are stuck on Freesia, which no doubt, the flower does indeed smell nice, and it seems as though you are a beginner, maybe you can look for a Freesia fragrance oil, meant for soap makers, and be satisfied with that..? Then combine that with the Cashmeran, and you can go from there...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

I managed to find useful info in there...Thanks lpp

pkiler.......I couldn't find Cashmeran and Freesia so I ordered White Cashmere (similar to cashmeran??) and Freesia fragrance oils. I'm just going to try. Wish me luck please lol

Can I also ask..I'm trying to mix Hugo Boss Just Difference EDT, for which I found the notes from..
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26132522.html

The notes are:
    Top Notes
    Mint

Middle Notes
    Freesia, Basil, Coriander

Base Notes
    Patchouli, Cashmeran, Frankincense (Olibanum), Labdanum

Ingredients I have above essential oils, perfumers alcohol and glycerine. I want to make 50ml of EDP. So its 20% oils and 80% alcohol?

My questions are
    1. How many drops of glycerine do I add?
    2. How many drops of each oils( base, mid and top) I add to make that 20%?

I'm sorry for asking questions after questions. I'm just inquisitive

I managed to find useful info in there...Thanks lpp

pkiler.......I couldn't find Cashmeran and Freesia so I ordered White Cashmere (similar to cashmeran??) and Freesia fragrance oils. I'm just going to try. Wish me luck please lol
    White cashmere is some sort of a base or fragrance (I'm guessing); NOTHING to do with Cashmeran, a chemical made and sold by IFF (and others). I have just Googled "Suppliers of Cashmeran" and found dozens. Just because the names sound similar doesn't mean that the product is. You are going to need much more than luck if you are to get anywhere near what you want.

Can I also ask..I'm trying to mix Hugo Boss Just Difference EDT, for which I found the notes from..
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26132522.html

The notes are:
    Top Notes
    Mint

Middle Notes
    Freesia, Basil, Coriander

Base Notes
    Patchouli, Cashmeran, Frankincense (Olibanum), Labdanum

Ingredients I have above essential oils, perfumers alcohol and glycerine. I want to make 50ml of EDP. So its 20% oils and 80% alcohol?

My questions are
    1. How many drops of glycerine do I add?
    2. How many drops of each oils( base, mid and top) I add to make that 20%?

I'm sorry for asking questions after questions. I'm just inquisitive
    To answer your two specific questions:
    1) None! Let me say that again: none, you donít need glycerine in an alcoholic perfume.
    2) How big are your drops? I canít possibly answer this without knowing that and nor can anyone else.

Can I suggest that you have a look at A Method for Blending on my blog? There you will find detailed instructions on how to go about building a fragrance. You may also want to look at Weight or Volume for the pros and cons of using volume or weight to measure your ingredients, and goes on to give advice on choosing a suitable scale for the purpose.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

BIG thanks to everyone who advised me on my query