Code of Conduct

Default After Eau d'Hermès: An Exploration In Hesperidic Aromatic Spicy Masculines

I've been thoroughly exploring this particular genre over the last month, and have been so smitten by these various wearings, that I can see myself falling for one of these as a spring/fall signature scent.

The citric/aromatic/spicy fragrance that I am searching for must follow more precisely the lineage of Eau D'Hermès. I've explored Ellena's obsession for this genre from Déclaration by Carter, to his most recent Terre Hermès Eau Très Fraiche. Another one that I would add to this list, which I already own would be YSL Pour Homme.

As Eau D'Hermès is the reference, and I do agree that it's a masterpiece, I have a sent memory attributed to it for my Grandmother, who probably wore it as her signature scent. At this time, Déclaration is the closest approximation that I have found that is FB worthy, while also appreciating that the mustiness of the original Hermès, has been toned down into a slightly more masculine offering by Cartier.

The notes usually attributed to this type of scent is cardamon/carraway/cumin/nutmeg, supported by hesperidic bitter citruses such as petitgrain/verbena/neroli/orange blossom.

Surprisingly though, a simple search of these notes isn't sufficient, as there's often a "je ne sais quoi", which attributes for this type of "dirtiness", depending on the note/accord being properly highlighted. Other times, these notes aren't present in the note breakdown and/or are subtlety not included as to not scare away any interest, as is often the case with the infamous "phantom" cumin.

Long story short ~ this genre isn't the easiest to seek out for. So I'd like to enlist some help from you guys here;

Can you enlighten me towards fragrances of this genre that are often derided, but overlooked for their unique qualities?

Are there any notes that I may have overlooked, that may attribute to this genre?

Any other aficionado's of this type of "dirty" elegant cologne?
    Last edited by Arij; 10th May 2014 at 07:12 PM.

Default Re: "Dirty" Aromatic Spicy Masculines

Two come to mind:

L'Autre by Diptyque

and

Citrus Paradisi by Czech and Speake (may not be very spicy, but certainly dirty and aromatic)

Languid by Boadicea The Victorious
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

You might want to get your nose on some Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir

And, albeit a bit further away from the EdH/Declaration theme, Cuba and Havana.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Four I would recommend but might not fall into your category

Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur
    Guerlain Jicky
    MFK Absolue Pour le Soir
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Dirty English.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Perhaps Eau de Guerlain (1974)?

I like this genre too. However, I think Eau d'Hermes and Declaration are hard to beat. You may have tried another variation on the theme, Bigarade Concentree. Zizonia by Penhaligons is another worth a sniff, although I thought it was a bit of a damp squib. Rochas Moustache is a dirty citrus with less emphasis on the spice.

Piper Nigrum by Villoresi is the Hiroshima of citrus ans crazy spices.
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Slumberhouse - Ore
    Parfum d'Empire - Cuir Ottoman
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    Geo F Trumper - Curzon

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

My sales - WORLDWIDE | Vtg Signoricci 1 & Signoricci 2 - EDT 200 ML BNIB | http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...DT-200-ML-BNIB

They're not in the same fresh, transparent mould as Eau d'Hermes and Déclaration, but have you tried Roja Dove's Nuwa and Diaghilev, both of which have a recognisable cumin note? They're not exactly cheap, that's the only drawback. Femme de Rochas, while not strictly speaking a masculine, could be pulled off by a guy and is loaded with very sensual cumin.

The new Eau d'epices might work.

Also incense extreme.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Bigarade Concentree by JC Ellena - definitely!) dirty citrusy hay

I am trying l'Artisan's Al Oudh today and is pretty fantastic. Cumin, spices, civet etc, but comforting at the same time. Pretty wearable after the opening too.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

+1 Bigarade Concentree and Zizonia.

You might like Issey Miyake Intense. Smoke and and spices surround the original Issey in this one, and I find it's a bit on the dark side, definitely 'dirty' IMO.

Amouage- Epic Man.

Basenotes Junkie

For me, lots of the Bond fragrances have the dirty, sweaty cumin like drydown. I don't recall the names (I think the Bond naming scheme is awful) but the amber was definitely one of them.

rick

Last edited by Dimitrios; 8th May 2014 at 05:48 AM. Reason: ignorance

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Rev320 View Post
    MFK Absolue Pour le Soir
    plus 1

Perhaps also Givenchy Gentleman, as well as Versace l'Homme.

Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir is a good one.
    Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    You might want to get your nose on some Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir

And, albeit a bit further away from the EdH/Declaration theme, Cuba and Havana.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Phileas by Nina Ricci is a good one. Discontinued but still available.

Moustache by Rochas (EDT or Concetree)
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Many good ones have already been mentioned, but I would second a vote for Jicky and Musc Ravageur.

Thanks for all of the replies! As usual, some are spot on with the recommendations and/or offered alternatives on the theme...

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    L'Autre by Diptyque and Citrus Paradisi by Czech and Speake
    L'Autre is a great suggestion, but I was told it's only offered as an exclusive at their boutique in France. Can anyone confirm or deny this claim?

Citrus Paradisi & Cuba seem really interesting and will allow me to explore this house a little further.

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir
    Why kill me with discontinuations?!?! Fraîcheur Cuir is a great suggestion, but I haven't found it in the wholesale district in my area, so I'll have to search further.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev320 View Post
    Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Perhaps Eau de Guerlain (1974)?
    Whenever I go to the Guerlain boutique, I usually overlook these two. I have sampled MdM a few times, but under different circumstances. Now that I'm seeking this type out, I will definitely come back here with my impressions on these two scents.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Rochas Moustache is a dirty citrus with less emphasis on the spice.
    Double damn!! Great suggestion, but so hard to find...

Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    The new Eau d'epices might work.
    This seems like a great alternative for cooler weather.

Quote Originally Posted by mgrigoriev View Post
    Bigarade Concentree by JC Ellena - definitely!) dirty citrusy hay
    Bigarade Concentree is a great scent & spot on for the OP, but I found that it leaned a little too much towards the citrus.

I tried Eau du Sud by Annick Goutal, which is a citrus aromatic, a little closer to Dior ES & YSL PH. It's 90% what I'm looking for with great verbena/lime, while the oakmoss/mint/basil replaces the usual spices. A wonderful scent, that's a great alternative for those who are interested in this genre, but fear anything remotely close to body odor.

While searching the various threads on Déclaration, I noticed that S.T. Dupont Pour Homme is frequently mentioned, although it's spiciness tends to trail off pretty quickly.

I like this genre too. However, I think Eau d'Hermes and Declaration are hard to beat.
    I think you're right, as this is probably a case of being best served, by what you first intended.

I'm also realizing that the birch note, can't be neglected in it's effectiveness in the composition of both Eau D'Hermès & Déclaration, making them unique in their genre.

The various suggestions are enlightening though to say the least, so I'd love to hear more...
    Last edited by Arij; 7th May 2014 at 06:59 PM.

Puig: Quorum. A cheap but quality option worth checking out. spicy with a dirty feel from the leather base

Perhaps Creed Orange Spice?

Basenotes Institution

I agree with JiveHipp's rec's and I'll add another: Serge Noire by Serge Lutens
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Continuing on the citrus side of the equation, I'm surprised the classic stalwart Chanel Pour Monsieur wasn't mentioned. It has all the hallmark notes I've been looking for, from the verbena/petitgrain/neroli & cardmon/ginger/corriander. Unfortunately & uncharacteristic of Chanel, having tried this fragrance this evening, it's IMHO much too fleeting (à la cologne) for my liking.

The spicy cardamon I so seek, was beautifully present in the opening, but dissipates in the background in 30 minutes. I would have thought that reforms in oakmoss, would have accentuated the spice in the composition, but instead the powdery peony takes center stage.

After side by side comparisons to today's Eau du Sud (which wins the battle), the oakmoss in the Goutal adds more skank, than anything found in CPM. Which makes me believe that CPM must have been majestic in the past.

Overall, I quite appreciate Pour Monsieur nevertheless, it'd be great in the summer when those noted prior in this thread seem too much. I'd also suggest this one to those following this thread, wanting to steer clear of the "Indian buffet", while retaining all the class.

Blog Entries

Lots of great fragrances being mentioned here. One that is almost in this class is Tiffany for Men. The nutmeg dirties the citrus and the chypre just perfectly, which means barely. I think I need to wear that again here soon.

When you mention Indian buffet, I had to think of TDC Oriental Lounge, which uses that curry leaf stuff (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry_Tree) - it definitely resembles cardamom. Interesting effect, and the whole thing ends up as a kind of cool amber.

There was some other scent I sniffed recently that really answers the spicy thing, but for the life of me, I can't remember it. I'll definitely post if I can think of it.

Last edited by Dimitrios; 8th May 2014 at 05:48 AM. Reason: ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    TDC Oriental Lounge, which uses that curry leaf stuff (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry_Tree) - it definitely resembles cardamom. Interesting effect, and the whole thing ends up as a kind of cool amber.
    An oriental suggestion out of left field! I like! I have noticed through this particular nuanced exploration, that a few fragrances have amber tweaked into a surprising spiciness. Who would have known...

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    There was some other scent I sniffed recently that really answers the spicy thing, but for the life of me, I can't remember it. I'll definitely post if I can think of it.
    Gimme some knickers!

Quote Originally Posted by Arij View Post
    Overall, I quite appreciate Pour Monsieur nevertheless, it'd be great in the summer when those noted prior in this thread seem too much. I'd also suggest this one to those following this thread, wanting to steer clear of the "Indian buffet", while retaining all the class.
    Chanel PM - Based on your feedback I think you sampled / tried the current version. Vintage is dirty, b'ful citrus, rich in oakmoss & long lasting (for a citrusy cologne)...I was fortunate to have found & bought a vintage travel duo Chanel Cologne for Men - probably 80's version - it's vastly superior to what's available now. You can still find Chanel PM or its concentree in vintage versions pop up on eBay - strongly suggest you seek this one...

OR

Rochas Moustache Concentree in vintage formulation - still readily available - again oakmoss in the vintage makes it quite different to its reformulated version.

Oakmoss in vtg Chanel PM is much much higher than vtg Rochas Moustache & I prefer it for the same reason. Longevity on both is about 6 hours on me with about 6-7 sprays.

As for Mouchoir de Monsieur - I had a sample of vintage version, which is breathtaking; I own a bottle of the current version & am left unsatisfied due to lack of longevity, lack of oakmoss & lack of "dirty". Searching for older "rectangular" bottles of these, so if u find it in Montreal, PM me

To add, I own Annick Goutal's Eau du Sud & Eau d'Hadrien, with Hadrien Absolu to be shipped to me - I find them to be very safe compared to vtg Chanel PM or vtg Rochas Moustache...However, all 3 are top class citruses.

Another 2 which I strongly recommend:

Vintage Bogart Furyo for it's animalic spicy blend - good amount of civet used in vtg versions...

Davidoff Davidoff for men is another very good "dirty" scent - again - search for the vintage, which is still available at decent prices. Castoreum's used amazingly well in this one...

The spiciest fragrances I can think of are Jacomo de Jacomo and Cacharel pour Homme.

Le Labo Rose 31 seems like it would fit the bill exactly. Cumin, woods, spices - no rose. And another vote for Serge Noir. Roja Dove Fetish PH has dirt and spice in planetary amounts but isn't particularly woody.

Yatagan (preferably vintage) - The paragon of dirty, spicy, aromatic.
    Bel Ami (vintage)
    Balenciage pour Homme
    Leonard pour Homme (1980)
    Or Black
    (vintage)
    Songe d'un Bois d'Ete
    Leather Oud

I agree with Al Oudh, also
    Serge Lutens - El Attarine - it's honeyed, but has that "dirty" cumin vibe going on
    Hermes - Poivre Samarcande - very sheer, but definitely dry, aromatic, and slightly dirty, woody and spicy
    Bois 1920 - Sandalo e The - this one isn't quite as dirty but it's got some funky spices and a lactic sandalwood vibe

You may have tried another variation on the theme, Bigarade Concentree.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgrigoriev View Post
    Bigarade Concentree by JC Ellena - definitely!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    +1 Bigarade Concentree
    I got to test Bigarade concentree by Frederic Malle today, another citrus aromatic fragrance. What this scent did in 2002, was simply confirm that Ellena the apprentice, surpassed the master Roudnitska in this genre.

It's possibly the most perfect modern interpretation of this type, following Déclaration in 1998. I don't really buy the marketed note breakdown of this scent, it's mimicking of aforementioned predecessors is too complex to simply attribute to grass and hay. Same aroma-chemical structure as the classics cited, but possibly with current molecular advancement.

Having this scent to my nose so closely in time to TdH ETF, also confirms how they are more in relation to each other, than the original Terre D'Hermès. As opposed to the floral muskiness of the composition being highlighted from the classics, bitter orange is explored from Ellena's more recent experiments in this genre.

Simply fantastic & my favorite Malle!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_Trick View Post
    I am trying l'Artisan's Al Oudh today and is pretty fantastic. Cumin, spices, civet etc, but comforting at the same time. Pretty wearable after the opening too.
    Quote Originally Posted by runstile View Post
    I agree with Al Oudh
    I was going to dismiss this suggestion in regard to the OP, but reconsidered after a wearing this evening & quickly interpreted it as Duchaufour’s vision of animalic leather & spices.

The leather accord is present, as is the mustiness of the original 51' classic, while the skank factor is too. After further inspection of the caraway/cardamon notes in this juice, it's IMHO is the best interpretation throughout this genre exploration of the "dirty" spice accord. It's lineage to the mystical Eau D'Hermes cannot be denied, thus a neo-sub-category must be considered within this fragrance type (which Dior's Leather Oud might fall into).

If only this scent's hesperidian neroli/orange blossom accord was more persistent and present, this would have been in league with the greats. What might work wonders in creating this full effect, would be layering Al Oudh by L`Artisan Parfumeur with their other linear citric scents, such as Ananas Fizz or Fleur D'Oranger.

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    Perhaps Creed Orange Spice?
    Another suggestion that's quite apropos, but triple damned discontinuation!!!

Upon further exploration, I'll add to the "safe list" Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma being another citric aromatic fragrance with bitter orange/bergamot/verbena & red pepper/cardamon. The cardamon is present in the opening, but this fragrance dissipates into a citric cologne in no time with the floral jasmine & ylang-ylang creating a powdery effect, instead of any spicy skank.

I'll add to the "blame the stupid reform" list; Armani Eau Pour Homme. Much like CPM yesterday, you could see with proper oakmoss in the past, this may have held up to the Goutal standards. What a shame...

Earthy, citrusy, floral, clean, dirty & bitter; are ways that Sunday Cologne by Byredo has been described. A woody aromatic addition to the exploration to this genre, I couldn't get my hands on a sample of this scent, as it's only offered in Toronto. I wonder how the lavender plays out in this scent (powdery and/or aromatic) & would love to hear any interpretations from those who've tried it.
    Last edited by Arij; 10th May 2014 at 04:00 AM.

* Today's exploration includes scents that are off the beaten path, surprising me in the directions this genre has been pushed.

** This review also highlights multiple Guerlain's which have been included from my trip at the boutique.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Perhaps Eau de Guerlain?
    Eau de Guerlain is a citrus aromatic inclusion to this study, definitively falling into the "cologne" category & should be considered a "safe scent". Guerlain's signature bergamot is part of the citric notes in this scent, with caraway giving it a faint spice & and the oakmoss/amber accord creating a slight mustiness in the dry down. As compared to the other juices considered "colognes" for this experiment, there's no skank factor here, but its' essentially true to the openings from most of the ones reviewed thus far, with a superbly musty dry down. Awesome cologne!

I didn't have to look far to get my nose on this one, as it's part of my collection, but that didn't prevent it from almost falling under the radar. Often considered unclassifiable, I may have just found its' niche in this genre. Coriolan by Guerlain includes practically all of the notes searched for... Citrus? Bergamot/lemon/neroli/petitgrain = check! Leather? Check! Spices? Nutmeg/corriander = check! Aromic mustiness? Oakmoss/Vetiver/Sage/Patchouli = Check! This one has it all & finally put some competition to the oakmoss swagger found in the Goutal noted earlier. This should be considered a "safe scent" as the spices aren't "dirty", it's the aromic notes combined with the leather which gives its' swanky factor.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Songe d'un Bois d'Ete
    The last Guerlain reviewed today is Songe d'un Bois d'Ete. A dry, spicy, subdued and smoky fragrance, it would fall into the sub-genre established yesterday within the "non-hesperidic" group. The skank is present with a great cardamom, as one reviewer aptly described; "In the first few minutes when applied it is extremely spicy with overdosed cumin and other typical curry spices as well. All of them are very pleasant and different than I know from other composition. It remind me a little bastard from Diptyque L'Autre and slightly Eau d'Hermes." Most of the accompanying notes gather around the oud in creating a leather accord, while the dry down leaves a beautiful aroma in its' wake. Excluding any citrus, this scent is above par in comparison to the compositional structure being looked out for, which I realized is where this genre has developed as of late (post-2000). The last scent reviewed today being an excellent example...

While Roudnitska is the Godfather who invented the wheel & Ellena is the King who perfected the genre, Duchaufour is the Iconoclast who has took it to the next level. Comme des Garcons Series 2 Red: Sequoia is a woody fragrance & probably the last entry in the "non-hesperidic" group. The whole leather handbag motif is present but with a twist, because of the unique rum/date accord. Sequoia in 2001, definitely must of had some small place in the future development of Al Oudh in 2009. They have similarities in compositional style and panache, but twist & turn in different directions. This one being the more rounded out the trifecta, by the subdued civet/myrrh accord & the iris/saffron/tonka giving it a softness in the dry down which prevents it from getting too offensive. Definitely my favorite of the CdG Series 2!
    Last edited by Arij; 10th May 2014 at 04:05 AM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Default Re: "Dirty" Hesperidic Aromatic Spicy Masculines

Sequoia too is my favorite from Series 2. Thanks for sharing your exploration, Arij. Can't believe I'd forgotten about Coriolan. Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by Arij View Post
    I got to test Bigarade concentree by Frederic Malle today, another citrus aromatic fragrance. What this scent did in 2002, was simply confirm that Ellena the apprentice, surpassed the master Roudnitska in this genre.

It's possibly the most perfect modern interpretation of this type, following Déclaration in 1998. I don't really buy the marketed note breakdown of this scent, it's mimicking of aforementioned predecessors is too complex to simply attribute to grass and hay. Same aroma-chemical structure as the classics cited, but possibly with current molecular advancement.
    Being very fond of Declaration myself, can you elaborate on how Bigarade Concentree differs from Ellena's earlier classic? I'm always impressed by the notes which counter Declaration's spice-wood spine (juniper for freshness, iris for softness), but the citrus-cardamom combination is its big signature for me. Where does Bigarade Concentree diverge?

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    Being very fond of Declaration myself, can you elaborate on how Bigarade Concentree differs from Ellena's earlier classic?
    The citrus in Déclaration present in the opening, dissipates into a whisper as part of the dry down ~ while the bitter citrus that Ellena developed for Bigarade concentree in 2002, which became the focus of Terre D'Hermes in 2006, is the whole show. So think of a cleaner composition, with bright citrus that would cut through humidity & a sharp "dirty" cardamon/cedar, but with very little of the "mothball" mustiness found from the classics. It brings the modern niche esthetic to the genre, typical to the quality of Malle fragrances, a company which allows their perfumers an unlimited budget in sourced materials. It's a no-brainier as to why many consider it the best citrus in the game.