Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sotd Wed. 7 May 2014

Good morning everyone Funny start of the day Got up as usual, took my usual walk to work... Only to find out I had the lateshift today So now I'm up unusually early for me. Feeling wide awake, so not sure what to do with the extra hours. Concidering walking downtown, bringing my book and have some ( more) coffee Sotd is Chergui. Have a great day all!

Default Re: Sotd Wed. 7 May 2014

Sounds like a good plan inneespenes enjoy!

Another fly by hello and goodbye. Running in heels and blowing air kisses to all. Cuir de Russie modern EdT and parfum today and vintage extrait tonight. Managed a business breakfast, lunch and dinner today and will need to go for an almighty run to work off the calories consumed.

Congrats on 11K JR! Time for another celebratory bottle of something for drinking or spritzing or both.
    Last edited by Xscent; 7th May 2014 at 08:35 AM.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Hello all. Caron Nocturnes.
    DONNA

Hi everyone - have a great day!

Ex Idolo - Thirty Three.

p.s. Jon - could you recommend any good opticians please?

Ipp, congrats on the posts!

Joy Edp, which I am liking more than before.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Thanks, kalli!

Good news re.the Joy - I spilled some recently whist decanting a sample for someone & had quite a while to appreciate it

Bonjour Mesdames,
    vintage

Basenotes Plus

Hi Everyone! In Carner Barcelona's Rima XI today, from a sample. By the way, does anyone know how long reviews are stuck in the admin queue before they are approved to be posted?

inneespenes - That is the best free time EVER, when you turn up to work and find out you're not needed. Like discovering a $100 note on the sidewalk - free money! Free time! Coffee and a book is what I'd do too, if I had the opportunity. Plus a little daydream too.

Kiliwia - I ordered some little samples from other places before paying for the MDCI set, so I had tested Un Coeur en Mai, Chypre Palatin, La Belle Helene, and Peche Cardinal. I couldn't find a sample of Enlevement au Serail (because it has been discontinued) and Essenza Nobile was clear out of the Promesse a l'Aube. Out of the samples I tested, Chypre Palatin was the only one that blew me away, so I ordered three mini bottles of that, plus one each of Promesse and Enlevement, since those were the ones I was most interested in anyway (Claude from MDCI reserved one of the last sample bottles of Enlevement for me, that guy is just amazing and friendly and all things to women :-). Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with La Belle Helene either - it was nice, but nothing too extraordinary, and for those prices you expect extraordinary. I like Un Coeur but I find it rather similar in tone and feel to two other scents I own, Balmain Ivoire and Le Temps d'Une Fete (by Patricia de Nicolai too), so I decided to take a pass. Thanks for giving me your impressions!

ExtremeK - I have the PERFECT tart rhubarb scent for you - Aedes de Venustas EDP! Oh my God, it is so mouth-puckeringly tart and smells exactly like biting into a raw rhubarb stalk. When we were kids, we used to eat rhubarb raw from the garden, sprinkled with sugar. This reminds me of that taste/sensation minus the sugar.

Hi Claire - reviews should take about a week, although that's affected by holidays & other issues that admin has to deal with so it can be longer sometimes.
    Hope you don't have to wait too long

(see
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/375570-review-question)

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Thanks, kalli!

Good news re.the Joy - I spilled some recently whist decanting a sample for someone & had quite a while to appreciate it
    A happy accident, I suppose. Sometimes, spilling some can make me dislike a scent I really liked before, it all depends.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Basenotes Plus

Hi Claire - reviews should take about a week, although that's affected by holidays & other issues that admin has to deal with so it can be longer sometimes.
    Hope you don't have to wait too long

(see
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/375570-review-question)
    Thanks, Ipp!!! I guess I should have searched for the answer before asking here, sorry!

Good morning everyone! So happy that it's more and more light outside on the way to work. Today I'm wearing Neroli Portofino for a 16-hour (7A-11P) shift.

ClaireV the rhubarb scent sounds lovely, I will have to add that to my list.

Thumbs up Re: Sotd Wed. 7 May 2014

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

vintage

Basenotes Plus

Hello and best to everyone. Gucci Envy for me today.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

I have a 7AM meeting today - ugh. VC&A Bois d'Iris will accompany me through it.

Basenotes Plus

Good morning! Cool and rainy again today.

Wearing Jo Malone Sakura Cherry Blossom this morning for a very busy day.

Have a great day!

Good morning, everyone -

I'm in lots of sparkling vintage Valentino, yet another glorious, hyacinth-loaded floral with other notes of citrus, peach, plum, basil, jasmine, l.o.v., rose, carnation, cyclamen, amber, and musk on a green and mossy base. I went through two bottles of this in the '80s, and this is from the third and last one I bought ca. '89. I don't know what the current stuff is like or if it's even still around anymore, and I don't wear it very often, either, but I'm so glad this bottle is more full than not, and holding up very, very well.

Y'all have a great day!

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Halston Catalyst for Men this morning
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Ambre Tigre by Givenchy

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Rhubarb, huh? I've got two perfumes that feature it, but they're both sorta sweetie-pie fruity florals ...but I like 'em! One is Mauboussin Pour Elle in the beautiful, heavy, asymmetrical bottles ...the bottle leaks, though. I should have expected it - funky bottles always seem to leak. But it was a souvenir, and the fragrance is a very pretty and well-done slightly gourmand fruity floral, with beautiful notes of gardenia, orange blossom, jasmine, rose, caramel and sandalwood. I really do like it, but it's probably not one I'd ever really recommend to anyone else unless they were specifically seeking a rhubarb note.

Same goes with Nina Ricci's Ricci Ricci, which is a fruitchouli with lots of rhubarb in a buttery pastry crust. Tart, sweet, delicious and rich, it smells a lot like Mauboussin Pour Elle to me, but it's definitely more of a gourmand (although it doesn't list any edible notes, but don't believe it - this is rhubarb pie!) and because of that I think it's better suited for cool weather. It's got tuberose, patchouli, rose, datura (interesting!) and sandalwood. I've only worn it a few times, but it's another one I do like and would probably wear more frequently if I didn't have a hundred other perfumes to think about come fall.

I'll second ClaireV's Aedes de Venustas recommendation - that's a really great one! The strong vetiver note put me off, initially, but I think I could get used to it in this case. There's also a nice tomato leaf note in there that adds to the tart, green vegetal quality ...I think I might need to revisit this one myself.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 7th May 2014 at 01:51 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Good morning all! Hope everyone has a wonderful day. I didn't get much sleep so I'll be struggling at work today...but on the bright side, the weather is supposed to be beautiful!

I couldn't decide what to wear this morning, so I reached for Dior Homme Sport (2008 w/ Ginger.)

Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Kiliwia, vous êtes la Princesse de Pastels. The colors in that photo are soooo attractive.
    If I remember correctly, Jon Stewart recently aired some piece from Fox News or some morning news show within which some men were puzzling over why females often like the color pink. What a backward way of seeing topic. The better question is, in a world with an extended p-a-n-o-p-l-y of colors, why do some men get palpably squeamish about this one color?

Jujy: “Medicinal sexy.” Snort, good one.

Childwickbury Manor. I suppose a person could settle for 12 reception rooms, as long as Stanley installed one heck of a media room somewhere. (The photo at Wikipedia is inferior to Jon’s. Just saying.)

“Blustery and mostly cloudy” calls for a fragrance to stand up to the elements: Tom Ford Tuscan Leather = bicycle tires, sweet raspberries, and jasmine.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    Mike, did you get any mint in the Diabolo or just rose? I like the touch of mint...
    Hey Kiliwia, mike - I was wondering the same thing; I love that fresh, minty note (and I'm so thankful it doesn't smell like rosy toothpaste, lol!) This is one of only three perfumes I have on my wishlist. I haven't updated it in a while since I'm not really actively seeking anything new, but I'm leaving that one on until I get it - I still crave this charming, minty rose.

Hi, everyone! Quarry I'm so glad you're enjoying Tuscan Leather... I love many from TF, but I think you're right that Tuscan Leather needs a certain kind of day and mindset. (Japon Noir, on the other hand, I think I could wear every few days, regardless of weather/where my mind is. It's just... comfy. Go figure.)

All of the wonderful gardening stories and plant/flower/tree pictures here are making me wistful. My yard/garden spaces are VERY shady, I don't like hostas all that much, and astilbe is pretty but also doesn't quite do it for me... Plus there's the fact that I garden by benign neglect. My S.O.P. (Standard Operating Procedure, no relation to JFP) is planting random bulbs and perennials and promptly forgetting about them, syncopated with bouts of weeding that on one occasion several years ago resulted in my pulling up some flowers two seasons in a row - Took my being out of town for the crucial several weeks to come home to some lovely little flowers I couldn't even identify - looked like a combination of glory of the snow and peacock orchids. Since then, the only things I'm willing to weed are maple tree seedlings and dandelions. :embarrassed:

This year I did manage to get a few toad lilies and begonias in; in fact, I planted a "raspberry mousse" toad lily tuber this morning before leaving for work. Here's hoping the neighborhood wild bunnies don't like it.

Right, SOTD - Today I am the epitome of spring/summer (for me) in Parfum d'Empire Osmanthus Interdite. Light, luscious, and mood-lifting.

Osmanthus Interdite notes: Chinese tea, osmanthus, rose, jasmine, musk.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Kiliwia, nice cherry blossoms there!

Good morning, all! Today in Luce by Meo Fusciuni.

Good morning, good smelling ones.

Mure et Musc Extreme today, still the most acceptable and seasonless of my wardrobe.

The definitive compliment on this scent was:

"You always smell so good..."
    "That's my perfume, it's the mure et musc."
    "No, I don't think so...You just smell good, maybe it's your body wash or shampoo or something, or just your smell, it's not perfume..."

So. US$160/year (as yes, I have been running through one big bottle a year, it's gentle and I do apply generously) for the good smell not identifiable as perfume. Which always kind of pisses me off, but it smells So Good, I haven't really found anything affordable that comes close.

Basenotes Plus

Hi everyone - have a great day!

Ex Idolo - Thirty Three.

p.s. Jon - could you recommend any good opticians please?

Tom Ford Moss Breches.

Wolfie, hope your spell of meteorological misery is as brief as possible. (Polar bears unite ).

Michael For Men by Michael Kors

queen of the universe

ineespenes, there's nothing like some surprise hours off. I trust you enjoyed them.

easyfish, I think I'll sorta synch with you in vintage Aprège parfum.
    P1020979.jpg
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Institution

kiliwia / Evangeline - nope, didn't smell ANY mint in the Rosine...I'll give it another wearing soon & report back. Maybe my nose was broken from that morning's dousing of Marni?
    Robin-in-FL - I had the same experience one time...in a bar. A guy walked up to me and complimented me on my scent. I was like 'it's my cologne...' and he goes 'no...it's like your body skin smells a certain way...' and I was like 'no it's my fragrance'. lol. I was wearing one of my staples, Cumming by Alan Cumming

Last night was fun, I went to see a late night movie @ the Film Festival with a friend and ran into people I haven't see in AGES who don't know I'm single now. Everyone was very complimentary to me, telling me I looked great, etc. It was a real ego boost. The movie was very surreal...an Israeli film. Left me a bit confused at the end.

Slept in the living room (with a/c) hopefully the new a/c for my bedroom will be in soon.

Today is already super busy @ the office. Tonight is the memorial for my acquaintance Eric who passed away last week.

In:

L'Heure Vertueuse III by Cartier

I sprayed some on my polo shirt today, in attempts to get this one to 'stick' better. I think it worked.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Mike, at least he didn't ask you what you were wearing...that might have been a tad bit awkward lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    A guy walked up to me and complimented me on my scent. I was like 'it's my cologne...' and he goes 'no...it's like your body skin smells a certain way...' and I was like 'no it's my fragrance'. lol. I was wearing one of my staples, Cumming by Alan Cumming.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

YR So Elixir

Cumming is great - you have such good taste, Mike!

Plus I love that hot snarky bisexual actor....

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'm another who loves the mint in Diabolo Rose!

Not in the mood for that today, though...it's Mary Chess White Lilac instead.

Grocery shopping in a cloud of Vol de Nuit 2013 Extrait... sometimes life is glamorous!

Good morning and best to all.

Roberto and Kiliwia, my compliments on especially nice photos.

Good luck today, Mike.

I'm wearing Le Labo Ylang 49. Again. It makes me think of a great old song from the Replacements called Unsatisfied. Except, unlike Paul Westerberg, I am satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireV View Post
    Thanks, Ipp!!! I guess I should have searched for the answer before asking here, sorry!

Sorry, Claire - there's absolutely no reason that you should have even known there were such threads here

Haha, Jon - thanks for the nice pic!

Six dips of Guerlain Jicky pure parfum layered with 3 sprays of current eau de toilette. I picture the three bottles of Jicky I own being used up at this rate. Now if anyone wants to gift me a 250ml bee bottle of Jicky I wont complain :-).

The search for vintage Jicky continues.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

My top 5 changes like the Tennessee weather.

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Creed Neroli Sauvage.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Rev320 View Post
    Six dips of Guerlain Jicky pure parfum layered with 3 sprays of current eau de toilette. I picture the three bottles of Jicky I own being used up at this rate. Now if anyone wants to gift me a 250ml bee bottle of Jicky I wont complain :-).

The search for vintage Jicky continues.
    May the force be with you ((((((())))))))
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Evening all!

On the subject of rhubarb notes, l highly recommend Byredo's La Tulipe.

lpp; by all means get your prescription filled at Specsavers, but please go elsewhere for your eye examinations & tests. Without going into details, whenever l've heard of eye conditions being missed or misdiagnosed, it's always Specsavers. l myself go to Boots Opticians; formerly Dolland & Aitchison, & l can't recommend them highly enough. Go to a larger branch where they are equipped to carry out visual field tests & retinal photography.

l wore Seville a l'Aube for a long day at work today. l got home to find that my Crystal Flowers has arrived from Luckyscent along with a bunch of samples, & l also got a rollerball bottle of Moon Breath from Ayala Moriel; an extra birthday present to myself after l found out that she gives discounts during your birthday month! That's the one l'm wearing now.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Thanks, teardrop - will bear that excellent advice in mind

Hey y'all -

Another big ol' floral bouquet for me this afternoon, this one is Krizia Moods, with listed notes of cyclamen, carnation, orchid, iris, jasmine, l.o.v. and rose on a base of musk and cedar. However, what *I* get is carnation, lily and rose on a soft green bed of tender, sweet clover. This was Sylvie's, and it's absolutely magical.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post

Evangeline I have a framed print of this from an exhibit at the Museum of Fine Arts Boston *eons* ago! The print itself is the worse for wear (have had it through several moves, three kids, blah blah blah...) but I still adore it. Reminds me of my dear late Mom, who bought the print for me because she loved it, too.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

That's a very lovely reminder of her, ComDiva. It's a favorite of my mother's too, and it just happens to go with my sote so perfectly that it actually popped into my mind when I first smelled it ...carnation, lily, lily, rose. Why, that's exactly right!

Wearing my old 80s favorite Obsession today.

Basenotes Institution

No other scent this afternoon, that Cartier III is still going strong (note to self: spray on shirt!) but I thought I'd post this new licorice that I ate last night...I almost ate the whole entire bag!

Licorice porn! (I"m sure you non-licorice fans are saying to yourselves, 'will these people shut up already with their licorice rants!' lol)

The tagline 'Proper sweets' just makes me giggle. My buddies from London had me in stitches all weekend with all of their words and their strong British accents. I'm such an Anglophile, I was loving it the entire time

matildaben - thanks sweetie. Cumming is my secret-weapon-scent. Love that stuff (and Alan!)

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

queen of the universe

the licorice, mike, the licorice! oh God, oh baby!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

SotE is Tam dao

Yum Mike, more I want to try. Gotta say, the best licorice is imported!

SOTE: Honour Woman

Le Labo Gaiac 10 from a sample this evening. Hope everyone is doing well.

L'Homme Libre by YSL

You all are just *the best* when it comes to recommendations! Thank you! My sample list for tart fragrances is growing exponentially.

Quarry, I thought I was a bit crazy in the bike shop when "Tuscan Leather!!" popped into my head, but there you go Those nose smells what it smells, LOL! And while bicycle tire accord is nice, creosote is even *better*! Other ther than possibly Bulgari Black, I wonder if there's any fragrance out there that tries to capture creosote? Not burning rubber but very specifically *creosote*. In my hometown, there used to be a little railroad yard that had extra rail ties stacked up. This yard was near the public pool, so on the way home, with my nostrils chlorine-burned from swimming all day, I'd beg my mom to stop at the yard so I could run over and smell the creosote they used to seal the ties. I *loved* that smell. If anyone's done it, my money would be on Christopher Brosius/Demeter or Comme des Garcons.

Such lovely photos today! Quarry, I only just started embracing pink and coral in the last year. In the 15 years before my ex and I split, color basically disappeared from my wardrobe, and I had convinced myself long ago that I wasn't a girly-girl and didn't like pink or coral or turquoise or any of the lovely jewel tones I happily wear now. I had almost all black, white, gray, and brown. I should have known something was terribly wrong since all I ever wore growing up were bright colors.

(((Mike)))

Today I wore Sonoma Scent Studio Fig Tree.

Hey y'all!

Late check-in for me today. I had a very busy day at work with a 2 hour meeting in the middle of the day that meant no lunch work out, grrr! Then a monthly girls night out tonight, at Mexican - I ate WAY too much but only had one margarita. I prefer eating less and having 2 margaritas - I don't know what happened tonight. Then to Target, now home and just catching up on your SOTDs!

My SOTD was Eau Premiere, followed by a brief sample of Dulcis in Fundo after work (confusing - I swear the top notes smelled like mesquite turkey - must try again soon because surely something was just off in my head) and twinned with cello in Bois d'Iris for dinner.

Job searching is getting discouraging. I haven't found one thing this week to apply for.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post
    Evangeline I have a framed print of this from an exhibit at the Museum of Fine Arts Boston *eons* ago! The print itself is the worse for wear (have had it through several moves, three kids, blah blah blah...) but I still adore it. Reminds me of my dear late Mom, who bought the print for me because she loved it, too.
    That's a beautiful picture Evangeline and ComDiva, I've always liked that one too.

Mike, I had to have some black licorice for dessert tonight, you enabler you!!

The right job will come along Erin, at the right time and in the right place. Any company would be lucky to have you, so hang in there!

In the mood for lilacs tonight, wearing En Passant.

Have a good evening, all!
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 8th May 2014 at 02:00 AM.

Ending the night with Amouage Honour Man. It's very simplistic to me but that doesn't take away how good it smells.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV