Fetish Pour Homme by Roja Dove
    Amber Absolute by Tom Ford
    Royal English Leather by Creed
    Chypre Palatin by MDCI
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

Default Re: Cowboy/Western scent recommendaton needed

This is what I wrote about LM:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Trail View Post
    Bible and sword, but this is the real thing!

Rubber duck about to put the hammer down, cowboy in a Coupe DeVille, duelie diesel with a horse trailer in tow, Eric Spoto in Brooks Brothers suit + Stetson and Lucchese boots, Clint Eastwood getting really pissed off in Unforgiven and ditching his puny shotgun for Nock-gun, black powder, leather, tar, Bull Durham, Marlboro man, bourbon and all kinds of western things with python skinned Texas Belts powerlifting belt on top.

So, the real McCoy indeed and a bulls eye on the serious side of things. This scent does not have a single drop of humor or smile in it.

The thing now is, am I man enough to pull this off or will it break my balls like a tornado tears down a shanty town?
    My Moonshine sample came yesterday and my initial feelings are favourable.

Now, this is a gentleman cowboy, all smiles, good manners and happy go lucky trailblazer spirit. Lucky Luke instead of Clint Eastwood, top break Schofield in shoulder holster instead of Nock, shined up boots and fresh shave. Clif Adams singing 'My John Deere Tractor' Kip Moore in 'Something about a truck'.

Gin, maybe some rum or similar, something darker, 'haps ham, also for some reason reminds me bit of Neroli Portofino. Definitely more approachable than LM.

Most confess that I ended up ordering them both LM is the king of the Hill but how can i resists Moonshine either, at the end of the day it's made in Austin. Perhaps that actually explains its somewhat double nature, at least i've heard that for some Austin is not really Texas, at least that was told to us at McCombs some years back

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk

I'm glad you got to try and like them both! I have both also and I think you nailed it with your descriptions. LM is the rough cowboy marlboro man type, while Moonshine is the refined gentleman cowboy. Thanks for coming back to share

Wearing this (Chaps) right now and agree completely - very bold, yet extremely well blended. This is, in my opinion, the ultimate cowboy scent. I just won a vintage 1 oz. splash on ebay for under $10 and it still smells fresh. Brings back wonderful memories of simpler times...
    Currently wearing: Relax by Davidoff

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    +1 Chaps too. Make sure you are not opposed to powerhouses though, because this one has the 80's written all over it, even though it was introduced in the 70's. If you do decide to get this discontinued gem, make sure you don't get the new square bottle, because that is completely reformulated, and a totally different fragrance all together. You need the one in the amber glass bottle with the chrome top with the western design. Most of them come in a splash bottle, it's rare to begin with, and even more rare to find one with a sprayer, these are usually in the smaller 1 oz bottles. Chaps is a very bold strong masculine scent with big time notes -- leather, patchouli, spices, lavender, oak moss, sandalwood are all big notes here, typically base notes,, and I'm sure some of these are base notes here, but not all, making this a big powerful powerhouse, Western appeal, check it out if you find it. Again, be sure you like strong masculines, stuff like Azzaro pH is weak in comparison to Chaps.

Wearing this (Chaps) right now and agree completely - very bold, yet extremely well blended. This is, in my opinion, the ultimate cowboy scent. I just won a vintage 1 oz. splash on ebay for under $10 and it still smells fresh. Brings back wonderful memories of simpler times...
    Currently wearing: Relax by Davidoff

What about something from Juniper Ridge. I "reckon" that a cowpoke would enjoy Mojave etc.
    I've just been on Trip Advisor. There was no information on a cut knee.

Luke Graves
    Currently wearing: Eva Kant by O'Driù

Give Patchouli 24 by Le Labo a try if you want an eye opening "bbq" type cologne. It's not for everyone, but I can't get enough of it. It's got birch tar, I think- which gives it a charred-woody-smokey smell. It's bold and awesome.

I see others have recommended leather colognes, which is good too. But if you want the smoke and wood, give Patchouli 24 a try.