Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cowboy/Western scent recommendaton needed

A very good morning to all,

I'm in need of a new cowboy/western scent. Like most of us - or is it just me - I get these urges that are quite well described by Boys don't cry:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s05jcrJw0as

Simply, I'm looking for something that fits Chevy truck's cabin, office environment on those days when your suit is still impeccable but you're wearing cowboy boots, when you’re doing some minor logging, trying to maneuver tractor, drink an American beer from the bottle, smoke Lucky Strike, have a barbeque, attend a farming/heavy equipment fair, read Ralph Compton by the fireplace, sip Conecuh Ridge etc.

For those who like to think thru music, think Convoy by Paul Brandt, Got my game on by Trace, Should've been a cowboy & I ain't as good as I once was by Toby, Chicken and biscuits by Colt Ford and pretty much anything by Corb Lund.

Currently scents used for this purpose are 1Million and Artisan Black.
    1Million has certain elements that fit, mainly the warmness but is 'haps overly sweet. Artisan Black is too soapy and a tad on the weak side, more like Blazing Saddles instead of 3:10 to Yuma & Unforgiven.

Armani Attitude Extreme I think is quite close, but is maybe more Palazzo di Montecitorio than Texas State Capitol,

I think Tauer Lonestar Memories is in the ball park, have not tested it but read a bunch of reviews.
    But: since this is my western scent I would like it to be by American house.

I've not that much possibility to go about and do testing, so I really need to narrow this down and possibly buy blind.

So, apologies for long rant and looking forward to hear your opinions and recommendations!

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk

Default Re: Cowboy/Western scent recommendaton needed

Hmmm...from an American house might be the tough part. I would give Slumberhouse Jeke a try.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 - ONLY 4 LEFT! (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...

Lomani El Paso
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

RL Chaps, Dana English Leather...the ones I could think of that have western themed labels. Though I would suspect that real cowboys from the 19th Century probably would have worn things that would have been popular in major cities like bay rum, citrus colognes, and light floral colognes.
    Last edited by bokaba; 8th May 2014 at 05:49 AM.

Blog Entries

Totally agreed with bokaba about things like bay rum and Lilac Vegetal (http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120997.html). I like C.O. Bigelow's Bay Rum. Very old-fashioned.

There's an old men's scent called Santa Fe that evokes the West, but there is also an expensive and relatively newer Keiko Mecheri scent called Canyon Dreams that is REALLY, REALLY evocative of the Western outdoors.

Several other recommendations:

Vintage Leather by West Third http://www.westthirdbrand.com/produc...intage-leather

Coach Leatherware by Coach (any coach store should have it)

McGraw (original) or McGraw Southern Blend (Sears, Target, lots of places)

You can get a sample of Canyon Dreams cheap from LuckyScent, and the others are almost blind buys after your research them. Vintage Leather is cheap and easy to order. Santa Fe is all over Amazon.

The first thing that came to mind (and cheap) was Cigar by Remy Latour, this has a western feel sort of.

My second choice would be McGraw Southern Blend. Another cheapy, with the cowboy feel. Spicy!

McGraw is also a good one, this has a noticeable hay note, which kind of fits the bill, but it's more sweet than spicy.

Finally, you may wanna look for fragrances with a prominent Spanish leather note. This specific type of leather note paints the picture of the West, spurs, chaps, boots, a rugged man with his horse and a lasso. Not sure off the top of my head which good fragrances have this note, it's a more spicy type of leather, with almost a tomato like accord to it. Think salsa.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Slumberhouse Sova, El Charro classic for men, yes Lonestar Memories, Nostalgia by Santa Maria Novella, Boss Elements, Bay Rum by Geo F. Trumper....for instance.

What you are looking for is:

Moonshine by Eastwest Bottlers. A gentleman's cologne

Trust me. Fits your description to a tee.

Basenotes Junkie

Lonestar memories. Just do it.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Lomani El Paso
    Came here to say this! A guy i used to know had this cheapie and its smell somehow always reminded me of spaghetti westerns Been a long time since i smelled it now.

I agree with the Bigelow Bay Rum suggestion. Ogalala Bay Rum, Sage, and Cedar is also a good choice for what you're looking for.

Knize Ten.
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

It's not from American company - but still. YATAGAN by Caron (released in 1976, named after turkish sword); dry herbs, artemisia, pine needles, castoreum and leather. Extremely musculine and very cowboy.

Another vote for Bigelow Bay Rum. Although the few cowboys I've encountered all smelled a bit of Secretions Magnifique

I tested Lonestar Memories yesterday, there will be a full bottle on the way soon.

I agree with the Bay Rums and the "old style" aftershaves type scents, also The McGraws- I would like to add

Vaquero Cologne for men is a warm, lasting, woody fragrance with a smooth blend of bergamot, cardamom, lavender, orange blossom, amber, vanilla, and musk. This full-bodied fragrance makes a lasting impression. 3.4 liquid ounces in a glass spray bottle.

also

Top notes: fresh citrus, tabac-rose. Mid-notes: lily of the valley, lavender, geranium, velvety woods. Base notes: musk, sandalwood, exotic mosses. 3.4 fluid ounces.

I mean come on, they sell this stuff in tack shops and "cowboy stores"

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post

Top notes: fresh citrus, tabac-rose. Mid-notes: lily of the valley, lavender, geranium, velvety woods. Base notes: musk, sandalwood, exotic mosses. 3.4 fluid ounces.

But it only lasts 8 seconds before you have to try it again...

rick

Bois Blond

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Lomani El Paso
    This (and Lonestar Memories) were the first things I thought about when I read the post. I also like the suggestion of Chaps by Ralph Lauren.

Quote Originally Posted by casts_by_fly View Post
    but it only lasts 8 seconds before you have to try it again...

Rick
    lol

Tuscan Leather just sounds right!

Stetson cologne for men by Coty
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

La Martina Hombre is a citrus-leathery niche scent with a both very ruggedly manly but also old school elegant note- an almost ideally sublimated fragrant rendition of the thread-starting request.

Maybe more gaucho than cowboy, but adding a certain hint luxury to this range of notes, while retaining a raw, natural but not primitive, very mature sort of manliness to it.

Tuscan Leather would be my choice. Lonestar memories would be my second, but it's a very hard scent to wear.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Casts_by_fly View Post
    Lonestar memories. Just do it.

rick
    Tauer Lonestar Memories - cowboy and Texas in a bottle!
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Basenotes Plus

rick
    my rodeo career lasted about 8 seconds. that's 4 bulls times 2 seconds apiece
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Madhat Scents - Americana Rust

+1 Chaps too. Make sure you are not opposed to powerhouses though, because this one has the 80's written all over it, even though it was introduced in the 70's. If you do decide to get this discontinued gem, make sure you don't get the new square bottle, because that is completely reformulated, and a totally different fragrance all together. You need the one in the amber glass bottle with the chrome top with the western design. Most of them come in a splash bottle, it's rare to begin with, and even more rare to find one with a sprayer, these are usually in the smaller 1 oz bottles. Chaps is a very bold strong masculine scent with big time notes -- leather, patchouli, spices, lavender, oak moss, sandalwood are all big notes here, typically base notes,, and I'm sure some of these are base notes here, but not all, making this a big powerful powerhouse, Western appeal, check it out if you find it. Again, be sure you like strong masculines, stuff like Azzaro pH is weak in comparison to Chaps.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Hmmm...from an American house might be the tough part. I would give Slumberhouse Jeke a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    Slumberhouse Sova, El Charro classic for men, yes Lonestar Memories, Nostalgia by Santa Maria Novella, Boss Elements, Bay Rum by Geo F. Trumper....for instance.
    I also thought Sova but with some hindi oud rubbed to layer when I just saw the title of the post...But after reading the OP's full post, with his request to wear the scent from driving, work, office etc - any leather will be just fine - Derby / Knize 10 / Or Black etc...

I know that Santal 33 by Le Labo was marketed as such, and to the extent of the woody/leathery/papyrus vibe it has I'd say its a pretty good match. A great fragrance in either case.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

I would think Aramis might fit the bill well to

Not exactly modern - but excellent to me and smooth leather. And what cowboy wears modern scents?? A "Dude" might wear Le Male - but not a real cowboy

D.S. & Durga Cowboy Grass.

I'd recommend Davidoff Adventure.

Stetson
    Chaps
    Amouage Silver Cologne
    Rocobar
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    I disagree on TL. TL is what a high end leather furniture shop in Milan might smell like. It is too clean of a leather for a cowboy smell.

rick

I've never been able to make that Lonestar Memories connection to this genre—even though the narrative is explicitly written into the scent, I get nothing even remotely Western. Then again, it's a scent that I simply dislike, so I might be just wrinkling my nose at every aspect of it—narrative included.

I'd also suggest Sova, but even that's more nostalgic americana / farmland than Wild West. Sova, to me, is like getting hammered on whisky while in a barn.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    This. Or the new ADP Colonia Leather. And yes, I am drinking good ol' American "water" right now.
    Last edited by 601red; 8th May 2014 at 10:03 PM.

I'd like to warmly thank all of you who've contributed to this!

In the end i did order samples of Lonestar Memories and Moonshine.
    I was trying to get my little mittens on sample of Vintage Leather, but West Third only ships to USA:
    I was also tempted to blind buy El Paso but dropped it in the basis or houses origin - having already chosen one European house.

So for now I'll wait for the two samples to arrive and see if either of those would feel suitable.
    Failing that I'll 'haps try to sample Slumberhouse Jeke/Sova and/or D.S. & Durga Cowboy Grass.

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk

The instant I read your thread title I thought of Tuscan Leather. A previous poster suggested it smells too clean for a cowboy but I think it comes across as somewhat raw. I like to wear it on weekends with a leather jacket and a funky leather hobo bag I own. Sample it and see what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    The instant I read your thread title I thought of Tuscan Leather..
    Same here!
    For swap/sale: NIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), LIDGE, Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Vintage Chaps is the obvious choice. Les Copains Homme is worth considering but hard to find. Then there's vintage Cabochard...

rick
    Not on me, nothing lasts on me except this. Should be called 8 days

Pinaud Clubman 'Special Reserve' out of the ones I know......
    (smell of leathery waxed saddles)
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

+1 Yatagan by Caron
    Eau des Iles by MPG

I have both of the samples you chose, and as I said before I think the Moonshine will fit the bill - the notes alone scream cowboy/old west. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on these, so please do come back and share!

Default Cowboy/Western scent recommendaton needed

^
    Will do!

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    I agree with the Bay Rums and the "old style" aftershaves type scents, also The McGraws- I would like to add

Vaquero Cologne for men is a warm, lasting, woody fragrance with a smooth blend of bergamot, cardamom, lavender, orange blossom, amber, vanilla, and musk. This full-bodied fragrance makes a lasting impression. 3.4 liquid ounces in a glass spray bottle.

also

OMG - I am now "at risk" of buying this stuff!

To wear while riding the range: Lonestar Memories.
    For honky tonkin': Chaps
    For cleaning up after his horse: Dior Leather Oud

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    to wear while riding the range: Lonestar memories.
    For honky tonkin': Chaps
    for cleaning up after his horse: Dior leather oud
    lol!

I know this is late, but here's one that everybody isn't wearing: DUSK by Herban Cowboy.
    According to Vegan Essentials, "The first cologne that has been certified organic, this masculine scent has notes of sandalwood and forest aromas to make a unique cruelty-free fragrance": the aftershave has notes of Carrot, Cucumber & Collagen.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Allen-at-home View Post
    I know this is late, but here's one that everybody isn't wearing: DUSK by Herban Cowboy..
    OMG I actually have this one!! And it's quite good, if not a bit simple. Picked it up at my local Wholefoods when they had some sort of Herban Cowboy event couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by stargarden View Post
    Tauer Lonestar Memories - cowboy and Texas in a bottle!
    I spent five years living in Texas, and I have to admit, one sniff of Lonestar Memories takes me back to my time there. LM is one of those scents that I can't justify buying because I wouldn't wear it enough - heck, I haven't even gone through my sample - but man oh man does a part of me want a bottle. I'd say LM is top notch stuff, but that's an understatement.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    For cleaning up after his horse: Dior Leather Oud

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    OMG I actually have this one!! And it's quite good, if not a bit simple. Picked it up at my local Wholefoods when they had some sort of Herban Cowboy event couple years ago.
    Ha, I think these were $30 at Whole Foods, but I found them on sale somewhere else for $5 each. Actually, I liked it at first, but quickly got tired of that strong carrot note.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

I'm from texas :-)
    I would suggest lone star memories but like other's have suggested it's kinda hard to wear.. Sooo for a great genuine leather scent i would suggest tuscan leather. Also Chergui by serge lutens.. it has this unique hay note that just makes me think of being in a stable or barn.

So, my Lonestar Memories sample arrived yesterday.

Bible and sword, but this is the real thing!

Rubber duck about to put the hammer down, cowboy in a Coupe DeVille, duelie diesel with a horse trailer in tow, Eric Spoto in Brooks Brothers suit + Stetson and Lucchese boots, Clint Eastwood getting really pissed off in Unforgiven and ditching his puny shotgun for Nock-gun, black powder, leather, tar, Bull Durham, Marlboro man, bourbon and all kinds of western things with python skinned Texas Belts powerlifting belt on top.

So, the real McCoy indeed and a bulls eye on the serious side of things. This scent does not have a single drop of humor or smile in it.

The thing now is, am I man enough to pull this off or will it break my balls like a tornado tears down a shanty town?

Can't wait the Moonsihne sample to arrive

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk

I agree it has cowboy written all over it.... it's just hard for me to find the right time to wear it, personally. Others will have no problems. I do spray in my truck occasionally to freshen up the new leather smell though

Not much smells like horse poop and hide quite like Dior Leather Oud. Smells like a horse stable. Giddy up.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Not much smells like horse poop and hide quite like Dior Leather Oud. Smells like a horse stable. Giddy up.
    LOL. Spray it on something, a piece of paper, or cloth, put it away in a drawer, and come back to it the next day or even two days later. Take a sniff. You may be surprised by what you smell. ;-)

I agree, it's a bit overpowering at first, you just have to get past that opening to really appreciate its beauty. If you really dislike LO like I did when it first came out, I found that coming back to it the next day when it's way toned down can open up your eyes to what this one really smells like after getting some time to breathe. No horse stables anymore, just sheer beauty.

The only fragrance I haven't been able to stick out completely. First splash, I thought I was going to like it...until...a few seconds later.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    LOL. Spray it on something, a piece of paper, or cloth, put it away in a drawer, and come back to it the next day or even two days later. Take a sniff. You may be surprised by what you smell.....
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.) / Bespoke 8.30.14 - ONLY 4 LEFT! (Apple, Cavendish Pipe Tobacco, Vanilla, Smoke, Woods & Resin.)

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD Slumberhouse, CdG & More...