Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Talking So I stopped into the Guerlain boutique today....

They had three numbered, limited edition bottles of Muguet 2014, as well as a hidden tester that I had to charm them into letting me try on. The bottle itself, a bee bottle wrapped in fine white porcelain, is gorgeous. The scent is a fairly straightforward lily paired with tuberose for added drama. It takes place on a predictable pillow of traditional white flowers, citrus brightness, and soapy musk and light vanilla, which all adds up to an old-fashioned cold-creme vibe. Gardenia/floral fanatics and Guerlainophiles will rejoice, but I was kind of glad I didn't fall in love, given the price.

The real surprise was Terracotta Le Parfum, which was really good. After being burnt so often by wide-release Guerlains, I wasn't expecting much. But it turns out to be pretty much the same gardenia/tuberose from Muguet 2014, but played out over a constantly shifting background that I found much more interesting than its much more expensive counterpart. It covered all kinds of ground - from the honeyed sandalwood of L'Heure Bleue to Guerlain's signature boozy cherry to a waxy, peachy ylang, and all sorts of subtly spiced tobacco and vanilla notes.

If Terracotta Le Parfum were one of the $270 L'Art et la Mateire perfumes, it would be one of the better ones, but it's $73! Absolutely worth a sniff...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Blog Entries

Default Re: So I stopped into the Guerlain boutique today....

Thanks rogalal! The Terracotta is already on my test list thanks to the review on Perfume Shrine. Now l'm even more keen to try it!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    They had three numbered, limited edition bottles of Muguet 2014, as well as a hidden tester that I had to charm them into letting me try on. The bottle itself, a bee bottle wrapped in fine white porcelain, is gorgeous. The scent is a fairly straightforward lily paired with tuberose for added drama. It takes place on a predictable pillow of traditional white flowers, citrus brightness, and soapy musk and light vanilla, which all adds up to an old-fashioned cold-creme vibe. Gardenia/floral fanatics and Guerlainophiles will rejoice, but I was kind of glad I didn't fall in love, given the price.

The real surprise was Terracotta Le Parfum, which was really good. After being burnt so often by wide-release Guerlains, I wasn't expecting much. But it turns out to be pretty much the same gardenia/tuberose from Muguet 2014, but played out over a constantly shifting background that I found much more interesting than its much more expensive counterpart. It covered all kinds of ground - from the honeyed sandalwood of L'Heure Bleue to Guerlain's signature boozy cherry to a waxy, peachy ylang, and all sorts of subtly spiced tobacco and vanilla notes.

If Terracotta Le Parfum were one of the $270 L'Art et la Mateire perfumes, it would be one of the better ones, but it's $73! Absolutely worth a sniff...
    HOLY TOLEDO!

Sounds like they did all the right stuff to Muguet to make this one. WOW.

I have the old, discontinued, limited edition Météorites (or however it's accented) - a really great violet scent, with lots of character. So I'm not surprised that they did good on one of these. I'm just surprised they're charging so little!

Thanks for the report. I have been waiting to find out about this year's Muguet. Great news about Terracotta too.

I have Terracotta voile d'ete, but this one sounds very different.

I've never smelled the Guerlain muguet, I've always been let down by modern muguets, which to me tend to smell functional or flat. But I'm happy to be proved wrong. Or perhaps not, given the prices.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Terracotta Le Parfum is on my to try list, too. So glad to hear it's worth trying to get a sample. Thanks Rogalal!

happy is the bleu heart<3

Oh man! Another one I need to sample!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

thanks.
    Looking forward to the tuberose note

for swap/sale:

thanks.
    Looking forward to the tuberose note

for swap/sale:

I tried the Muguet, it's nice - not quite as nice as the one from 2010, I think, (I have a lab sample of that one and it strikes me as more 'photorealistic floral') but still lovely. The bottles had sold out on pre-order but that's cool, I just like to try it, not really one I want to own altho the presentation this year looks beaitiful from the pics.

Terracotta is nice, I picked one up for a friend who is a fan of the Terracotta that comes in the tall bottle and is designated as an 'after sunning eau fraiche' or something along those lines - lovely summery 'solar floral' scent and the bottle is attractive . . . a good buy, I think.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov