Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
o
    People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Default Re: Bruno Fazzolari Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Wow. Fantastic. Love all the Fazzolari fragrances and have most. Never got Cadavre. Is the new one a collaboration with Gardoni?
    As far as I know, Corpse Reviver is just a Bruno effort and not a collab like its predecessor. Not 100% sure though.

If you've tried Ummagumma, you have some idea of what Cadavre smells like. At least I found a good deal of similarities, although I feel confident saying that what differences exist make them clearly distinct fragrances overall. Cadavre had a camphorous vibe and some strange savory qualities that, for me, set it well apart from Ummagumma, and also made it less enjoyable to wear.

I'm curious to see where Corpse Reviver falls along the Ummagumma-Cadavre Exquis spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by wildrnesxperienc View Post
    It is a classic cocktail that can be found in The Savoy Cocktail Book, originally published in 1930. The Corpse Reviver #2 cocktail, though, is held in higher regard.
    Fun tidbit, thanks. I'll see if my bartender friend (refers to themselves as a mixologist - I have trouble saying that word out loud without sounding sarcastic) will whip both up for me. I like comparison sniffing, I think that'd translate well to comparison drinking. Any relation to a Zombie, besides in name?
    Currently wearing: L'Homme de Coeur by Divine

Basenotes Plus

Thanks IsoESuperman!
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

As a Bogue fanboy, I really do wish I got to try Cadavre Exquis

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    Cadavre had a camphorous vibe and some strange savory qualities that, for me, set it well apart from Ummagumma, and also made it less enjoyable to wear.
    That sounds super interesting to sniff, even if it doesn't turn out to be a "love" like Ummagumma.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by wildrnesxperienc View Post
    It is a classic cocktail that can be found in The Savoy Cocktail Book, originally published in 1930. The Corpse Reviver #2 cocktail, though, is held in higher regard.
    ...Fun tidbit, thanks. I'll see if my bartender friend (refers to themselves as a mixologist - I have trouble saying that word out loud without sounding sarcastic) will whip both up for me. I like comparison sniffing, I think that'd translate well to comparison drinking. Any relation to a Zombie, besides in name?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpse_Reviver

Good news about the new fragrances!
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

A couple of quick thoughts on the two new scents:

Zdravets is a handsome twist on rose, drawing on quite a bit of Lampblack as well. It goes on a kind of vintage-smelling aromatic floral with a strong clean, herbal edge (a bit of a Room 237 feel, I think). It morphs into a lightly-soured rose-leather that never fully shakes its herbal side and kind of develops into something that's borderline aquatic / sea ish. It's super smart and interesting.

Corpse Reviver is just as impressive. I thought the original project was pretty good considering the circumstances under which is was made, but this scent stands alone. It smells like a long-lost Serge to me — dry, boozy, slightly green cocoa. I usually shy away from gourmands, but this one's sophisticated and quite intricate. It has a baked, nutty quality to it and yet it somehow sidesteps the usual gauche trappings of the genre.

Both walk the line between unique and wearable — which is what drew me to Fazzolari's perfumes in the first place (I still think Lampblack is amazing). But these stand out more to me than his past few releases, reminding me of the first time I smelled the line and its initial appeal. If you're a fan of his work, they're a no-brainer. But if you're looking for an innovative approach to rose (that's not unnecessarily wild), or a solid woody-cocoa, these are both worth checking out.

Basenotes Plus

Any idea where to find samples of these new creations? I enjoy most of his work and still wear Ummagumma regularly in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Singularious View Post
    Any idea where to find samples of these new creations? I enjoy most of his work and still wear Ummagumma regularly in the winter.
    I'm assuming they'll be available on the website soon, but maybe shoot him an email?

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    That sounds super interesting to sniff, even if it doesn't turn out to be a "love" like Ummagumma.
    I'd agree. From the time I've spent with Corpse Reviver, it's certainly reminiscent of Cavadre Exquis and also shares some overlap with Ummagumma. Ummagumma is still my favorite to wear of the trio, but Corpse Reviver could be something I pick up in the future as well.

While they're not listed under the Samples section of Bruno's website yet, it's worth an contacting him to inquire. The full bottles are for sale, but like anything from any house, I'd recommend sampling first for its obvious practicalities.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    A couple of quick thoughts on the two new scents:

Zdravets is a handsome twist on rose, drawing on quite a bit of Lampblack as well. It goes on a kind of vintage-smelling aromatic floral with a strong clean, herbal edge (a bit of a Room 237 feel, I think). It morphs into a lightly-soured rose-leather that never fully shakes its herbal side and kind of develops into something that's borderline aquatic / sea ish. It's super smart and interesting.

Corpse Reviver is just as impressive. I thought the original project was pretty good considering the circumstances under which is was made, but this scent stands alone. It smells like a long-lost Serge to me — dry, boozy, slightly green cocoa. I usually shy away from gourmands, but this one's sophisticated and quite intricate. It has a baked, nutty quality to it and yet it somehow sidesteps the usual gauche trappings of the genre.

Both walk the line between unique and wearable — which is what drew me to Fazzolari's perfumes in the first place (I still think Lampblack is amazing). But these stand out more to me than his past few releases, reminding me of the first time I smelled the line and its initial appeal. If you're a fan of his work, they're a no-brainer. But if you're looking for an innovative approach to rose (that's not unnecessarily wild), or a solid woody-cocoa, these are both worth checking out.
    Thanks for posting these, deadidol. We often seem to come to similar conclusions experiencing Bruno stuff. Figured I'd share as well, now that these are out for release.

I've only tried them a few times and reserve the right for judgement to change, perhaps drastically, but the first thing that came to mind with Zdravets was 'green herbal treble rose'. This isn't your decadent sweet, lush, wet red rose, but a higher register herbal/floral take with some nice citrus in the opening and an uncommon woody/leather accord in the base. Not weird, just not often seen/smelled. I immediately recognized some signature Fazzolari touches in the citruses/fruits, from both Monserrat and Five, more of the former for me. The opening is bright and slightly sharp, I found it much easier to digest once it settled for a few minutes.

Bruno has made some comments about only bothering to make a rose scent if he could make one that stands out. I think he succeeded there. "Higher register" or "upper octave" comes to mind with this one for me. It's not what I'd describe as too bright, sharp, piercing, or shrill, but it manages to sit in an upper range without being anything of those more negatively connoted things. It's very polished and doesn't provide any rough textures or sharp edges for me. I find the rose here handled quite differently from the mossy rose in Fontevraud.

There's another fragrance from another house that the old olfactory brain recognized similarities with. Not a ton, and also I still can't think of what it is. Will post when I do.

I wanted to wear Corpse Reviver and Cavadre Exquis side by side, pulled out the Cavadre decant a friend kindly sent a few years ago and it had gone to sludgey oil. Still smelled like Cadavre for the most part, so went for it and wore some Cavadre sludge...a phrase you probably don't hear outside of Basenotes very often. Reviver seems to be heavier on the chocolate and lighter on the camphorus herbal aspect, although there is still some of that present. It has heaps of that buttery/nutty/woody/chocolate DNA that underpins the trio (Ummagumma, CE, CR) that pairs nicely with a woody bourbon-ish boozy accord. Little accents of conifers too if you sniff hard enough, what smells to me to be in the realm of the fir-type conifers (cypress is listed).

It's not going to be for everyone (nor is Cool Water or A*men, right?) but I don't find it overly weird or challenging. I don't think it's going to be anyone's Swiss Army knife, jack-of-all-trades scent either. Normally I run fast and far from chocolate/cocoa in fragrances, but for whatever reason I really enjoy how Bruno renders it. The late drydown has a toasted wood vibe to it, whereas Cavadre stayed more on the buttery side of things. I prefer the base of Reviver, personally.

Again, just initial impressions of sorts. When Feu Secret first came out I was disappointed both with it and with what I thought was a change in direction from a favorite house. 4 months later, I decided it was one of the most creative perfumes of the past decade and still feel that way over 2 years later.

Thank you IsoESuperman and deadidol for sharing your thoughts, hope Luckyscent gets them soon to order samples.

Basenotes Plus

I was surprised with a package containing samples of the new fragrances and a nice note from Bruno today. In the past, I’ve received personal notes with orders and even a separate thank you card in the mail. He takes customer service to another level to say the least. Can’t wait to try his new offerings.

I just got samples in the mail from Mr. Fazzolari, too. Corpse Reviver is very similar to Cadavre Exquis, though perhaps a bit sharper and less animalic. I would gladly have both (I already have Cadavre Exquis).

I don't get rose at all from Zdravetz, though I'll have to give it a full wearing before saying anything substantial about it.

It was very nice of Mr. Fazzolari to send out these samples.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

...so went for it and wore some Cavadre sludge...a phrase you probably don't hear outside of Basenotes very often.
    I giggled.

Thank you for the analysis; I'll add to my sampling hit list!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Plus

I do think Corpse Reviver is amongst the coolest names for a fragrance. Right up there with Hippie Shit (which is actually quite good as a fragrance.)

I got the samples and a printed letter from Mr. F. Very nice!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

You can get samples at Twisted Lily now.

https://twistedlily.com/product-cate...uno-fazzolari/
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    You can get samples at Twisted Lily now.

https://twistedlily.com/product-cate...uno-fazzolari/
    Thanks Hednick.

Got to try Corpse Reviver yesterday and grab a sample at Tigerlily. It’s so well behaved and fun! Not the scary monster I was expecting. I, also, am not a fan of chocolate in perfume. BUT I like it in this one. Strange! Fun.

I also tried a local perfumer’s work: Silver Needles and quite liked it, so picked up a bottle and the Olympic Orchids Devil Scent 2. Wonderful.

Basenotes Plus

Dislike Corpse Reviver. The strong chocolate note kills the corpse for me.

I got coffee rather than chocolate in Corpse Reviver. Will try again on another day.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    Got to try Corpse Reviver yesterday and grab a sample at Tigerlily. It’s so well behaved and fun! Not the scary monster I was expecting. I, also, am not a fan of chocolate in perfume. BUT I like it in this one. Strange! Fun.

I also tried a local perfumer’s work: Silver Needles and quite liked it, so picked up a bottle and the Olympic Orchids Devil Scent 2. Wonderful.
    I LOVE Devils Scent 2. Love it! I am really falling for this line. And they are not expensive either, especially for all naturals. Really super impressed.

I'm wearing Corpse Reviver for the first time today. Up front I'm hit with anise and raw cocoa. The scent gets sweeter over time and smells like maple syrup aged in whiskey-soaked casks but an something herbal underneath keeps it from steering into overly sweet gourmand territory. I need to spend more time with this but it seems like a keeper for mostly blanketing winter wear!

Agree, thrilledchilled! And rynegne, totally agree with your review. On performance, it lasts forever and gets more interesting again in the late base.

Great detailed thoughts everyone! Looking forward to sampling new offerings!

My wife did mention last night that something smelled like syrup. She didn't know I was wearing Corpse Reviver at the time. I explained to her that I was wearing a fragrance and she was shocked at how much she thought it smelled exactly like syrup.

Basenotes Plus

Zdravetz is a unique fresh scent. I don’t get much rose. There is a pleasant medicinal scent. Watching it develop.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Very quick takes -

Zdravetz - Very watery-transparent geranium/rose with something that hints at green notes, I get no leather. Unfortunately it smells dangerously close to scented products (shampoo or dishwashing liquid). One positive thing is that this doesn't seem to turn sour. Vanilla is listed but I don't get any, and this isn't sweet. Not much personality here, and not sure why anyone would get this instead of dozens of other fresh florals at one-tenth the price. Perhaps Fazzolari's weakest offering (I've tried them all except Unsettled and Feu Secret).

Corpse Reviver - I'm shocked at how close this is to Ummagumma. It can easily pass off as a flanker. There's that chocolate/cocoa accord, but this time it is paired with more interesting and fun notes. It smells very good, is very wearable, not much sweetness, more of drinking hot chocolate while sitting on a cosy armchair in one's private library, rather than the chocolate and candy section at the supermarket. A grown up gourmand, definitely dry but not dusty. Just like Ummagumma, it is very likeable and would be appreciated by people not much into perfumes (in other words, potential 'compliment-getter'). I thought Ummagumma was a good release, an interesting amber that brings something new with a great chocolate/cocoa accord. I think Corpse Reviver is even better. The anise/dried fruit notes complement the chocolate accord more convincingly, and bring out nuances that were not there in Ummagumma (I think the chocolate accord persists longer in this composition). The only downside is that it could be a bit superfluous for those who have Ummagumma, as I still see this as sort of a flanker.

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    I got coffee rather than chocolate in Corpse Reviver. Will try again on another day.
    I think it could be mocha latte, minus the latte.

Did you buy this? I thought you'd love this.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Very quick takes -

Zdravetz - Very watery-transparent geranium/rose with something that hints at green notes, I get no leather. Unfortunately it smells dangerously close to scented products (shampoo or dishwashing liquid). One positive thing is that this doesn't seem to turn sour. Vanilla is listed but I don't get any, and this isn't sweet. Not much personality here, and not sure why anyone would get this instead of dozens of other fresh florals at one-tenth the price. Perhaps Fazzolari's weakest offering (I've tried them all except Unsettled and Feu Secret).

Corpse Reviver - I'm shocked at how close this is to Ummagumma. It can easily pass off as a flanker. There's that chocolate/cocoa accord, but this time it is paired with more interesting and fun notes. It smells very good, is very wearable, not much sweetness, more of drinking hot chocolate while sitting on a cosy armchair in one's private library, rather than the chocolate and candy section at the supermarket. A grown up gourmand, definitely dry but not dusty. Just like Ummagumma, it is very likeable and would be appreciated by people not much into perfumes (in other words, potential 'compliment-getter'). I thought Ummagumma was a good release, an interesting amber that brings something new with a great chocolate/cocoa accord. I think Corpse Reviver is even better. The anise/dried fruit notes complement the chocolate accord more convincingly, and bring out nuances that were not there in Ummagumma (I think the chocolate accord persists longer in this composition). The only downside is that it could be a bit superfluous for those who have Ummagumma, as I still see this as sort of a flanker.
    Enjoyed reading your thoughts on these. Funny, I would have guessed you'd not like CR at all. I do think it's very similar to Ummagumma, and Cavadre Exquis. I'm on team Ummagumma.

My initial thoughts of Zdravets were also something like "....eh, kind of weak." but I've enjoyed it the more I've worn it. I think in my initial post I mentioned leather but I'd change that to a suede accord now. Might sound needlessly nitpicky, but they're very different things to me. I think my idea of leather in perfume, and leather vs. suede in perfume, tends to not line up with any kind of majority (i.e. I don't really find Bel Ami to smell very leathery, among other things).

I'm still enjoying both of these but already owning Ummagumma, I'm not sure I'd spring for Corpse Reviver. I don't really own anything like Zdravets but it's not currently grabbing me enough to spring either. If Bruno regularly sold 7.5ml-10ml travel sprays, chances would be better.

Enjoyed reading your thoughts on these. Funny, I would have guessed you'd not like CR at all. I do think it's very similar to Ummagumma, and Cavadre Exquis. I'm on team Ummagumma.

My initial thoughts of Zdravets were also something like "....eh, kind of weak." but I've enjoyed it the more I've worn it. I think in my initial post I mentioned leather but I'd change that to a suede accord now. Might sound needlessly nitpicky, but they're very different things to me. I think my idea of leather in perfume, and leather vs. suede in perfume, tends to not line up with any kind of majority (i.e. I don't really find Bel Ami to smell very leathery, among other things).

I'm still enjoying both of these but already owning Ummagumma, I'm not sure I'd spring for Corpse Reviver. I don't really own anything like Zdravets but it's not currently grabbing me enough to spring either. If Bruno regularly sold 7.5ml-10ml travel sprays, chances would be better.
    I do like Corpse Reviver quite a bit, would love to wear it from my sample. These were 'wrist-tests' at night, the next morning CR was still there, very legible with still traces of that chocolate accord. The dried fruit notes remind me a bit of Slowdive. Zdravetz was completely gone, and I even regret spending $4 on the sample and the time spent by whoever made that sample at Twisted Lily. I don't get any suede either, though I completely understand that they are different things to you, and I don't think you are being nitpicky . I do love suede perfumes, with Daim Blond, Cuiron and Bottega Veneta being favourites. I don't think I am going to buy CR, but it is very good. I remember trying Cadavre Exquis in store (I think Tigerlily) and it didn't grab me; CR is more refined and elegant, while being just as interesting (and I find it much closer to Ummagumma than Cadavre). I think it is among the best from Bruno Fazzolari.

I am convinced 100% that there is a sample of Feu Secret (I have never tried it) somewhere in the perfume drawer. I need to search. I didn't gel with Iris Silver Mist (the current version) or Iris Cendre, but have come to love Iris de Nuit which I got recently. It's going to be my iris fix for at least a couple of years.