Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
o

Default Bruno Fazzolari Discussion

I was fortunate to meet Bruno Fazzolari at the recent Art and Olfaction Awards—an event in which his Lampblack was a final contender. Although I really enjoyed a number of the other entries that night (and hope to write about them soon, too), Lampblack was the standout for me, and I knew that it’d be the first one from the event’s finalists that I’d want to spend more time with. While I’ll be spending the next few days working my way through Bruno’s other scents, I wanted to begin by introducing the line—but most specifically this scent as I think it’ll appeal to a number of folks here. Hopefully some others who have had the chance to take them for a spin will chime in as well.

Bruno.jpg
    Bruno Fazzolari (image courtesy of NK Artography)

Lampblack

Lampblack was released in 2013 at the Gallery Paule Anglim in San Francisco. It’s a scent that coincides with a collection of paintings made from lampblack pigment—a carbon material with a bluish-black color obtained from the soot of burned fat, oil, tar, or resin.

What works so well in Lampblack is the interplay between notes. It’s a scent that juxtaposes several seemingly mismatched components, but the balance between them is such that new associations are formed and disbanded on the fly. Perched within its sooty frame is a romantic, almost classical flicker of light; but there’s an avant-garde, industrial aesthetic at work as well. Lampblack's suspended between two worlds—a scent that’s versatile, evocative, and shape shifting as the context requires.

The scent opens with an abstraction; a bracing citrus against an un-harsh, dark inky note—a thick palate of flint grays and yellows that reminds me of Kinski’s opening but without the castoreum. Rich burgundies bloom from within the canvas in the form of spiced, smoky grass leading to a dirty, almost musky consequence. There’s a moment of leather, but it’s just a whisper. And in the same understated manner, the scent feels sooty and mineralic, but without either facet emerging as explicit notes. It’s entirely calming and profound.

Lampblack is tastefully restrained—it's not a powerhouse, but isn't ephemeral either. There’s an intimacy that’s largely cerebral—meditative, I'd say. The classical impression seems to come from a hairline powder (that I’m assuming to be benzoin), building a gentle foundation for the vetiver and nagarmotha that sits above. This arpeggiated series of notes seems to form the core of the ink effect—subtly charred with a slight fruity sweetness from the bitter citruses and what I’m misinterpreting as a faint floral of some kind. Although their connections are tenuous, this is the scent that Antoine Lie failed to render successfully in Puredistance Black—a sort of minimal, romantic ostentation. It’s delicate, yet is never precious; and it’s the evocation that makes it stand out the most. Lampblack's the scent that you'd wear to see Wagner at Bayreuth, as well as being the scent you’d wear to the local bar. It really is both of these worlds.

The fragrance is a harmonious testament to earth and industry; more charming than one of Comme des Garcons’ infamous synthetics, yet more avant-garde than something from the past. Completely unique, yet comfortable, and entirely engrossing.

This is one of the best things I’ve smelled so far this year.

Last edited by deadidol; 8th May 2014 at 05:20 PM.

Dependent

Default Re: Bruno Fazzolari Discussion

Thanks for the heads up and great review! I'll have to add this one to my to-test list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently wearing: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

The sample set's a great deal, but I'm not sure the whole line will be to everyone's taste. I hope to work my way through them over the next week or so, and I'll be sure to report my findings.

I just pulled the trigger, hopefully it arrives next week! I'll be sure to post my thoughts here.

This review along with Darvant's are extremely well written in my opinion. I appreciate reviews like this. Aside from being intrigued as I like what I read, the fact that it will work with a football jersey and jeans or a black tie is right in my wheelhouse. I will also give this a try.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Deleted...wrong review...my apologies.
    Last edited by Mrnybluesman; 8th May 2014 at 05:01 PM.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

My apologies...Darvant's review was for Blackbird.....

I think Darvant just did a long (and really awesome) review of HoM's Blackbird, but not this one. However, knowing Darvant's taste, this one would be well suited.

I'll be curious to see how people respond to the scent's presence—I'm still vacillating a little on that. It's more forceful than PD Black (to which it shares some likeness), yet the restraint is right there in your face. I'm trying to imagine it as louder and more prominent, and I don't think it would have the same charm. The fact that it's dialed back works in its favor.

There are so many loose connections that I can pull from this from mainstream to uber-niche. Links could be made to Dior Homme and (gasp) yes, Aventus, but I also get CdG, the aforementioned PD Black, Olfactive's Chambre Noir, Ryan's Vesrim (!!!), and Slumberhouse Kote. This is where that evocative business is working—it makes you form all kinds of associations, yet it's not like some acid-driven free-for-all—it's all managed and institutional.

That's a wonderful fragrance as well, I urge you to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrnybluesman View Post
    My apologies...Darvant's review was for Blackbird.....
    I definitely connect with what Bruno is doing and the artisitc tie-in. Personally, I've lost touch with my artistic side as higher education studies, then working a 5-day work week has got in the way. Before my professional life got in the way I used to bring out my pencils or pastels for hours at at time. Now, I find it way too hard to come back to a piece I'm working on and pick up where I left off. The passion isn't there when I can't devote my time. It's a hard thing...walking away from something you love and enjoy...the same feeling happens when you walk away from a sport. The connection is always there though.

I've found perfumery to be the perfect creative outlet. I can work on a blend for weeks or months even and come back at any point in time with the same passion and dedication used to achieve my overall vision for the fragrance. I'm very glad to have this outlet and enjoy sharing my fragrances with others, it makes me happy to connect with my own artistic side and have others use it as a way of expressing themselves...Maybe a bit cheesy for those not moved by the whole fragrance as art concept, but I dig it!

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Maybe a bit cheesy for those not moved by the whole fragrance as art concept, but I dig it!
    I think what works well with this is that it's tied to the visual through its evocations (and its production), but it bridges accessible and avant-garde really nicely. Whereas I can understand why some would struggle with scents from Slumberhouse or O'Driu, this will have wider appeal, yet it somehow manages to stay inventive.

I do not want to hijack the thread, it should remain about the scent...perhaps we will start a thread one day..but I believe I understand fragrance as an art form or concept. I am very curious now about trying this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrnybluesman View Post
    I believe I understand fragrance as an art form or concept.
    It's a contended issue that's cropped up in a number of threads over the years—a debate between whether or not fragrance is simply utilitarian or whether is has some aesthetic worth. For me, the latter is the most honest and is generally what I look for in fragrance, yet some scents do seem to be able to work both arenas. Oddly, this feels distanced from some of the more chiefly aesthetically approaches taken in the experimental realm of fragrance in that it has an innate interest that transcends mainstream, yet it nods to mainstream sensibilities completely. Its literal connection to art—the paintings that accompany it—actually feel a bit distanced. The aesthetic and "visual" value of this stuff is in the scent itself.

Agreed...I think it also depends on how one chooses to view things. There is nothing wrong with putting on a scent and saying...I smell good..the end. Utilitarian. It serves a purpose. Others may put on a scent and say...this takes me back...makes memories....or it makes me feel....like a good book or piece of music. Or I can pick out these accords and they seem composed in such a way that does x, y or z. In cases like that it may be looked upon as an art form. However one may choose to look at it is fine with me, as long as opinions are respected.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    It's a contended issue that's cropped up in a number of threads over the years—a debate between whether or not fragrance is simply utilitarian or whether is has some aesthetic worth. For me, the latter is the most honest and is generally what I look for in fragrance, yet some scents do seem to be able to work both arenas. Oddly, this feels distanced from some of the more chiefly aesthetically approaches taken in the experimental realm of fragrance in that it has an innate interest that transcends mainstream, yet it nods to mainstream sensibilities completely. Its literal connection to art—the paintings that accompany it—actually feel a bit distanced. The aesthetic and "visual" value of this stuff is in the scent itself.

Ok, so it's been a weird day today...very hot and humid. A cold front is passing through and temperatures will drop about 30 degrees tomorrow. I probably should have waited for the temperature to stabilize to try Lampblack, but I'm impatient when it comes to trying new fragrances...so I'll give my initial impressions now and revisit in a bit.

Bruno was nice enough to hand-write me a short note (regarding an email I sent.) The packaging is well-done as it explains the fragrance and artistic connection.

Lampblack starts like you might expect a new best-seller department store fragrance from Gucci to be honest a translucent blast of citrus, but, it's very quickly joined by what I assume is nagarmotha. At the point nagramotha joins the grapefruit notes, this fragrance builds its artistic identity and becomes quite unique while maintaining a sense of wearability throughout.

I'm reminded of the smell in my old art room in high school (I know I know...here we go with the art stuff...but hear me out)...citrus school cleanser for the tables, wet paper mache drying in the corner, paints being mixed, clay pots baking from a previous class as you're working on a quick ink sketch...A very abstract and slightly strange smell...but one I remember distinctly.

Lampblack changes gears again after the abstract "art class room" stage passes. In the middle I smell a very very light black pepper sitting against a note that I'm unable to recognize...I can only describe the note as light, it's evoking white images...faintly resinous and sweet.

As deadidol already said, it's something that would fit right into the CdG lineup...an evocative shapeshifter of a fragrance.

And that's where I'm at boys and girls...about 3 hours in. Lampblack is a nice, very trippy wild ride of a fragrance. Especially with the thunderstorms outside as I write this alone, I'm able to really drink every bit of this one in with no distractions. I'll need to revisit in the coming days and bring any additional thoughts to the thread. Hats off to Bruno for making something truly unique, inspiring and evocative in an environment with many scents that are quite the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Lampblack starts like you might expect a new best-seller department store fragrance from Gucci to be honest. A translucent blast of citrus is how this fragrance starts, quickly it's joined by what I assume is nagarmotha. At the point nagramotha joins grapefruit, this fragrance builds its artistic identity.
    There really is a mainstream aspect to this, and it's surprising how it transitions in and out of this state. It's a strikingly unique scent, but it doesn't try to be weird just for the sake of it. A great balance between wearable and original.

Glad you enjoyed it, and I'll get some more reviews up of the rest of the line here soon.

Having tested the whole line now, I can safely say that Lampblack and Au Delà are the standouts for me. I'll write more on the others soon, but for now, here are some thoughts on . . .

Au Delà

Noir.jpg

A white floral bouquet of neroli and orange flower forms the introduction with a delicately indolic chord played through a clandestine jasmine. The opening is rendered green and bitter from a sprinkle of coriander, but softens into a supine oriental. An elusive soapiness is met with a faint powder, and the use of crisp herbal notes over an amber base breaks the seal of the standard hermetic oriental form, allowing for an element of space that keeps the scent from becoming stifling. It's very much a 1930s-style perfume that's faithfully reimagined.

Some of the more contemporary takes on these classic forms tend to add their own spin with varying levels of success. Le Labo’s largely overlooked Belle du Soir, Bogue Profumo’s criminally overlooked Eau d’E, and Sonoma Scent Studio’s much-loved Nostalgie, have all taken vintage aesthetics and done a great job of adding their own signature. Au Delà, on the other hand, keeps the classics more in-focus by harmonizing with scents such as Miss Dior and Sous le Vent. As Au Delà quietens down, the herbal opening converges with the mossy amber for an “ade”-esque effect and the scent turns quite intimate, whispering through the final stages. It’s clear here that the reference is one of respect rather than opportunism.

Fazzolari’s artistic tie-in, this time, can be found in French composer Olivier Messiaen and his Demeurer dans l’Amour from Éclairs sur L’Au Delà. Aurally, the piece is both melancholic and cinematic—the kind of thing I’d imagine would work well in one of Guy Maddin’s films from the late ‘80s. While the fragrance doesn’t reflect the jarring shifts of the music, the indolic texture conveys an aloof purr of interest that responds to Messiaen’s strange rhythmic pushes. It might be said that the scent feels less intricate than the music, but perhaps it’d be more accurate to say that the intricacy complicates the appreciation of the scent. However, inspiration doesn’t necessitate harmonic coordination, and so imposing a connection between the relative smoothness of the notes with the less-than-smooth notes of the score seems discordant and vulgar.

Gimli.jpg
    Gaddin's Tales from the Gimli Hospital (1988)

Aesthetically, Au Delà is a departure from the jaw-dropping Lampblack (although Lampblack has a classical works cited page of its own), but it’s just as striking and impressive a fragrance. If the feel of classical French perfumery is your thing, and you’re curious to see how the new artisans are working with these forms, then Au Delà deserves a spot on your radar. Neither anachronistic nor avant-garde, Au Delà sits confidently outside of time.

Here's a link to the Messiaen piece that inspired the scent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II0chET_Rs8
    Last edited by deadidol; 16th May 2014 at 09:06 AM.

Default Bruno Fazzolari Discussion

And now . . .

Five

Fazzolari_installation five.jpg
    Installation for Five

Five is modern spin on a traditional EdC. All of the standard citrus and herbal players are present, but here they’re suspended over a prominent oakmoss-type base that gives off a slight mineralic effect. The result reads as both a critique and a corrective to the EdC genre; it’s as if Fazzolari is suggesting some tweaks and showing us how the EdC might be readjusted.

It’s the citrus that gets your attention upfront, but whereas traditional EdCs often deploy abrasively sharp aromatic herbs that claw at your throat, here, claws have been clipped and manicured making for a more placid ride. This softer approach feels as though it's linked to a powder note of some kind, but it could also simply represent what an EdC’s standard materials smell like when aromatic herbs are dialed back. (It reminds a little of Bogue Profumo's Eau d'E at this point, but with less cypress.) There’s a soapyness, but it’s not shampoo-in-the-mouth soapy. I’m guessing that it’s coming from the woody notes—perhaps rosewood or teak—materials in which the natural soapyness is fairly mild. The base seems to be a variant of oakmoss—one of the synthetics, I believe. I picked up on something like that in Lampblack as well, but it feels more like a feature here. Also, if I'm not mistaken, there's even a touch of tobacco in this—but it's a very small tobacco if that's what it even is. Overall, the scent's effect is impressionistic and maybe a bit playful.

Yellow Mtn.jpg
    Huangshan, China

So, a confession: I dislike this genre, strongly. Citrus aromatics are a total bust on me. Throw in some culinary herbs and anything that even remotely resembles soap, and I’m screaming to get away. Consequently, I can really only talk about this scent from an objective standpoint, but I will say that it’s certainly switching up the EdC form by balancing it out and curbing some of the abrasive juxtapositions that usually do my head in. But also, after an hour or so, the base becomes far more tasty with an almost dirty marine note emerging that is almost identical to the metallic watery effect at the heart of (brace yourselves) Sécrétions Magnifiques. But before you take off for the hills, the note is very subdued here, and personally, I find this metallic profile to be quite smart; I genuinely like it in SecMag. It’s essentially a nuanced, metallic, watery copper-y effect that compliments the remaining citrus in a clever, airy kind of way. So if you’re into stuff like Chanel’s Eau de Cologne and Guerlain’s Eau de Guerlain, then this might make a nice surrogate as its best feature can be found in its longevity—which is Herculean given the nature of materials. But even with that said, Five is still kind of lost on me simply due to personal preferences.
    Last edited by deadidol; 19th May 2014 at 06:42 PM.

I bought this blind based on deadidol's wonderful and articulate impressions as I could tell it would be up my street and haven't been disappointed one bit. A few words on my impressions.

Lampblack fulfils it's promise of light vs. dark in some style, it feels like a dark rubbery mutant solid heart surrounded by kaleidoscopic orbiting gasses and sparkling motes of light. As deadidol mentions it definitely has a CdG synthetic feel, but with some meat added to the bones, the vetiver and opening citric notes adding a natural comfort that only seems to further highlight the alien futuretech synths. The dark side also hides some delightful associations and surprises (more of that later). What's remarkable is the fact that the sparkling thin gassy grapefruit accord maintains itself to the close, maintaining the light vs dark dance for the full duration, I've no idea what synthetic molecule achieves this but it works wonderfully here, it reminds me a little of nu_be Sulphur in this respect but applied in an even more successful way. CdG lovers I would be awfully surprised if you didn't wet yourself over this.

Lampblack opens with a lifelike citrus grapefruit, with a little sparkle. Shortly after an accurate ink note joins and these two sides define the opening stage. The transition to the heart seems to strip back the grapefruit to a thinner more persistent synthy note, and the ink note morphs slightly, now exhibiting a light rubbery facet. The combination can come off a little sweaty, not a cumin BO sweat, but more the slightly sharp smell of sweat breaking through an anti-perspirant. There is also a de-rooted vetiver (ala VE) and some kind of musk that seems to add a compliant solidity to the heart underneath the swirling mid to high notes, this identifies a little like toasted circuit board lurking around. As Lampblack moves to the drydown the earlier accords remain in an attenuated state and a plumy berried note is added. The effect of this is to add a very slight nauseousness on the periphery that reminds me of the ghostlike form of cyborg wet dog. From there it looses the berry notes first, then the darkest rubber and fades to a close with grey vetiver and the radiant grapefruit synth sparkle. I know I've mentioned some odd concepts above but it's what I'm feeling, but in no way does it come across in a nasty or skanky way, it's more of a artificial digital fascimile of an organic impression. It isn't a beast in strength or projection, but seems to have a pronounced radiance much in the spirit of Timbuktu, and longevity seems good at 8-10 hours.

4.5/5
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...
    Currently wearing: Holy Shit by Pekji

Definitely...I get the smoked electrical at one point which reminds me a lot of CdG fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_Trick View Post
    CdG lovers I would be awfully surprised if you didn't wet yourself over this.

Just got Lampblack yesterday -- really enjoy it so far
    My favorites in no particular order:

Vintage Antaeus, Vintage Bel Ami, Puredistance M, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain, MDCI Invasion Barbare, Morabito Or Black, Geranium Pour Monsieur, Avignon
    Currently wearing: M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

Great reviews everyone. I love the fragrance as well. Another in his line Au Dela is on it's way after sampling this one when I purchased Lampblack.

I think there'll be a more formal announcement made soon, but there's a limited release of Au Delà available now with a scree print. The fragrance is quite a bit different from the usual Au Delà and I'll try and write it up in more detail, but essentially Au Delà's authentic vintage chypre feel is "greened" up by this narcisse-heavy release.

Also, Bruno will be at Twisted Lily on Oct 25th to celebrate the launch of the line there.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I think there'll be a more formal announcement made soon, but there's a limited release of Au Delà available now with a scree print. The fragrance is quite a bit different from the usual Au Delà and I'll try and write it up in more detail, but essentially Au Delà's authentic vintage chypre feel is "greened" up by this narcisse-heavy release.

Also, Bruno will be at Twisted Lily on Oct 25th to celebrate the launch of the line there.
    I pre-ordered this Au Dela Narcisse des Montagnes the other day because I loved the Au Dela from the sampler pack I purchased, but it has been sold out. I also love the narcissus note in Guerlain's Vol de Nuit, so I figured this would be a safe blind buy. I will keep y'all posted.

Quote Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
    I pre-ordered this Au Dela Narcisse des Montagnes the other day because I loved the Au Dela from the sampler pack I purchased, but it has been sold out. I also love the narcissus note in Guerlain's Vol de Nuit, so I figured this would be a safe blind buy. I will keep y'all posted.
    Yes, the regular Au Dela has been out for some time. I hope this limited edition is as good if not better than the original.

Masterpiece Alert "Au Dela Narcisse des Montagnes" See other thread. This is just exquisite.

Signed art work for the first 100 sales. I was 54/100 a very nice touch.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

I've posted in and/or started a few scent-specific threads for Fazzolari stuff, and almost started a Fazzolari Discussion thread because I wasn't sure one existed. Glad I searched.

Since this does exist from more or less the house inception, and the excellent reviews from deadidol and others are already here, figured I'd bump this one.

On November 12th, two new releases will be coming out:

Zdravets

Described to me as "a woody, rose leather scent".

Corpse Reviver

Thought Ummagumma was a weird name for a fragrance?! Before you roll your eyes at the name or claim he is stealing the Slumberhouse's black metal thunder - the name is in reference to the fact that it's a re-imagining of Cavadre Exquis, the scent he tag-teammed with Antonio Gardoni on. Reviving the cadaver, so to speak. It is also apparently the name of a popular cocktail, which I've not tried.

Will share my thoughts on them once I have sniffed. Would love to hear from anyone else who has as well.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    I've posted in and/or started a few scent-specific threads for Fazzolari stuff, and almost started a Fazzolari Discussion thread because I wasn't sure one existed. Glad I searched.

Since this does exist from more or less the house inception, and the excellent reviews from deadidol and others are already here, figured I'd bump this one.

Zdravets

Corpse Reviver

Thought Ummagumma was a weird name for a fragrance?! Before you roll your eyes at the name or claim he is stealing the Slumberhouse's black metal thunder - the name is in reference to the fact that it's a re-imagining of Cavadre Exquis, the scent he tag-teammed with Antonio Gardoni on. Reviving the cadaver, so to speak. It is also apparently the name of a popular cocktail, which I've not tried.

Will share my thoughts on them once I have sniffed. Would love to hear from anyone else who has as well.
    Wow. Fantastic. Love all the Fazzolari fragrances and have most. Never got Cadavre. Is the new one a collaboration with Gardoni?
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post

Zdravets

Corpse Reviver

It is a classic cocktail that can be found in The Savoy Cocktail Book, originally published in 1930. The Corpse Reviver #2 cocktail, though, is held in higher regard.
    Currently wearing: Chypre Palatin by MDCI