Code of Conduct

Default Any opinions on Von Eusersdorff?

Quite a recent niche house but still quite surprising that there is very little talk about them on these here pages. Their Patchouli is fantastic and, though I am sure the whole incense/wood theme might be played out for many here I just received a bottle of Von Eusersdorff Classic Myrrh and it is a fantastic addition to my collection. A finely blended warm and woodsy incense that should at least be sampled by fans of CDG, Gucci pour Homme, etc.

Would love to hear anyone's opinions/experience with this house.

Default Re: Any opinions on Von Eusersdorff?

Nobody? Ah well....

I have the Classic Myrrh and I love it. Woods will never be played out for me and this one is nice to have because, for me, it is a woods with a strong floral bent since my nose picks up the violet for quite a long time. I think it is a lovely composition. (And you guessed it, I am a CdG fan) my thoughts on why this house is not talked about much is this: The perfumer Mr. Henfling is an 'unknown'. That is, although he studied in Grasse etc, he did so as a career change, late in life, to continue his family legacy ( he is a direct descendant of the Von Euserdorf family of essence and oil traders). So I think because he learned perfumery and took off on his own instead of working for a big company, he is not talked about much. I think his work is lovely and merits buzz.

I have just received a pack of all 6 samples from this line, so I'm going to be trying them all over the next few days.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove
    Currently wearing: Apple Brandy by By Kilian

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry View Post
    I have just received a pack of all 6 samples from this line, so I'm going to be trying them all over the next few days.
    Is this a German based house? I'm not familiar with it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Is this a German based house? I'm not familiar with it.
    No I believe NYC based.
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    No I believe NYC based.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I have only tried Classic Patchouli, which is good. A very chocolate bar opening followed by a straightforward but engaging patchouli accord - chocolatey, earthy, somewhat dry, just a little creamy - and none of the 'grind' or the 'dirt', and very little ruggedness.
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Today I've been testing the Classic Opoponax edp. It's more than just an opoponax scent, it's got some amazing florals blended in, but not too many to make the scent a feminine only scent. It's got quite an animalic base with castoreum, patchouli and vanilla all mixed in together. It really is an amazing creamy oriental. Longevity is amazing. I put it on at about 7:30am UK time, it's now 18:10 and it's still going strong. Sillage is excellent.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

I would appreciate to hear some thoughts on Classic Myrrh since I contemplate a blind buy ..... ;-)
    Currently wearing: Pasha by Cartier

A very prominent BN, a scholarly historian based in Germany, criticized their historical claims. That is what I recall from it.

I own Classic Patchouli.

Open a bag of potting soil, then dump a tin of Hershey's Pure Cocoa in.
    There you have it.

Rich, decadent yet grounded from the earthy side of the patchouli.
    Some similarities to Mazzolari Patchouli.
    YouTube reviews with integrity: My "FragReviews" Channel
    3 Latest Videos: BOIS 1920 - Verde di Mare / Loewe - Solo Loewe / Thierry Mugler - Pure Wood

Favorite House: Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store

Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    I would appreciate to hear some thoughts on Classic Myrrh since I contemplate a blind buy ..... ;-)
    I'll wear it today and report back.

Roja Dove

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    A very prominent BN, a scholarly historian based in Germany, criticized their historical claims. That is what I recall from it.
    Let's face it, false historical claims haven't done Creed any harm.

Roja Dove

This is new house to me, maybe worth checking out

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk
    Currently wearing: Endymion by Penhaligon's

I'll wear it today and report back.

I wasn't sure about the Classic Myrrh when I first sprayed it on, and then a couple of minutes in, and I fell in love with it. It's one of those fragrances that you sniff, and think to yourself, 'This reminds me of something', but that something seems to remain just on the border of being discovered.It's almost cathedral like, but also, it could be an antique shop that's been burning incense. I think the fleeting glimpse of violet, lightens it in the middle. The guaiac wood, patchouli, cictus and vetiver, give the impression of an old wooden cabinet that's been lovingly polished and cared for, for centuries, again, in an atmosphere of incense being burnt. I really like this one. The sillage is very good and definitely not just a skin scent.
    Last edited by Prince Barry; 17th August 2016 at 05:11 PM.

Roja Dove

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I have only tried Classic Patchouli, which is good. A very chocolate bar opening followed by a straightforward but engaging patchouli accord - chocolatey, earthy, somewhat dry, just a little creamy - and none of the 'grind' or the 'dirt', and very little ruggedness.
    I'd say it's very good. Somewhat in the style of Reminiscense or Les Nereides, which I also like very much. I do get quite a bit of earthiness, camphor though. Authentic, in other words. A rich, warm patchouli.

I wasn't sure about the Classic Myrrh when I first sprayed it on, and then a couple of minutes in, and I fell in love with it. It's one of those fragrances that you sniff, and think to yourself, 'This reminds me of something', but that something seems to remain just on the border of being discovered.It's almost cathedral like, but also, it could be an antique shop that's been burning incense. I think the fleeting glimpse of violet, lightens it in the middle. The guaiac wood, patchouli, cictus and vetiver, give the impression of an old wooden cabinet that's been lovingly polished and cared for, for centuries, again, in an atmosphere of incense being burnt. I really like this one. The sillage is very good and definitely not just a skin scent.
    ,,,,,,,,,,Thank you, sounds fantastic.....

Got to agree with the above comments about the Patchouli. Chocolate, earthy, peaty, and I got the camphor note too. Really love this one. After it had been on a while, it even had similarities to Chanel's Exclusif Coromandel.

Roja Dove

I tested the Classic Vetiver last night. It's a very light, but long lasting citrusy vetiver fragrance. Most of the vetiver frags that I have had, all smelled quite earthy and strong, but this has been well blended with citrus notes that take away the earthiness. It seemed to last forever on my skin, in fact, I'm not even sure that I had reached the base notes before I went to sleep. It's nice, but personnaly, I prefer the earthy type vetivers.

Top Notes
    Grapefruit, Bergamot, Lemon

Heart Notes
    Geranium, Elemi, Peppercorn

Base notes
    Cedarwood, Black patchouli, Vetiver

Roja Dove

I haven't smelled this fragrance. But after reading your post I feel like wanting to find it as soon as possible)
    Don't get sunburnt this summer! Read my article how to get rid of sunburn in my blog ambrossimo

Quote Originally Posted by karinochka View Post
    I haven't smelled this fragrance. But after reading your post I feel like wanting to find it as soon as possible)
    Hope you get to try it, I'm sure you will like it.

Roja Dove

The colognes sound interesting, but I wish their web site had some information, it says almost nothing about the colognes and perfumes themselves. And if you click on it, you're just sent to their rather creepy twitter page.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Actually, that was the German "von Sierstorpff" Cologne, which has since been relegated to the dustheap of perfume history. Von Eusersdorff ("fawn Oizersdorf") is a German name, but in Germany itself such branding always has a fake and campy ring to it, if the company hasn't actually been known since at least tjhe franco-Prussian War (like, say, Graf von Faber-Castell writing utensils). Lots of Chinese crap watches have bling names like that. Apparently Camille Henfling rediscovered the botanical heritage of his v.E. ancestors (hm, heard that story only 10.000 times in perfume marketing).
    Currently wearing: Parfum Privé by Aftelier