Code of Conduct

Default Halston Man Amber...Ever wonder what Royal Oud would smell like with amber...and oud?

No, they're not exactly the same. Halston Man Amber is not as spicy-aromatic or vibrant at the top, but these two are actually quite similar.

HMA brings in a richer, sweeter base via amber, though its not overly sweet, and pretty mild in comparison to many ambers. As a result it's a softer and more lush in comparison to Royal Oud. If you like the overall smell of Royal Oud but find its edges too prickly or spicy for your liking, HMA would be a good alternative.

That's not to say there's no spice to HMA--there is--just not to the degree that its found in Royal Oud. Royal Oud has a healthy dose of angelica and pink pepper, making it quite spicy up top in combination with the dry cedar, whereas HMA is more muted in comparison, apparently deriving its spiciness from a light dose of time and myrrh, and also working with a dry cedar note.

And the oud is right there--easy to discern, leaning more toward the clean/fresh side than the animalic, although perhaps a bit synthetic. It's not an overpowering oud note--but it contributes to a significant portion of the composition. Overall HMA seems about 30% amber, 20% oud, 20% cedar, and 30% resins and spice.

In the end, I prefer Royal Oud, as I think its a better quality scent overall, and love the vibrant, spicy top. However, HMA is very nice as well, and works when you want that Royal Oud feeling at a quieter, softer level--a bit muted--and with a cozier, more comforting base.

I'm surprised HMA has flown under the radar for so long. It's really good and completely wearable. Are there any fans of this one around here? Did you get the Royal Oud association as well?

Anybody dislike Halston Man Amber?

I can see this as a go-to fall/winter option as it seems pretty versatile and easy to pull off.

Default Re: Halston Man Amber...Ever wonder what Royal Oud would smell like with amber...and oud?

Interesting. Halston Man Amber has actually been on my "to try" list for quite some time. I love Royal Oud, so now I am even more interested in giving this one a try. Good write up!
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Default Re: Halston Man Amber...Ever wonder what Royal Oud would smell like with amber...and oud?

Still waiting for mines to arrive. Will give a short review when it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Anybody dislike Halston Man Amber?
    Yes. Not a fan of this.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I like this frag a lot, wear it for even summer time.

I own Royal Oud and once again own Halston Amber Man. The only reason a Halston Amber Man isn't more popular is because it's so hard to find. If you can find it, buy it.

Sent from Richard's Ipad
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

I own it and love it.
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

I haven't tried either, but "super cheapo" Jovan Oud Intense seems to be getting the oud job done for me!

For those that want to purchase this they're getting down to the last sets. Here's a link http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...t-Fragrancenet to where you can buy it.
    Last edited by silentrich; 11th May 2014 at 02:37 PM.

I like this one a lot, although I don't get much oud from it. Which suits me fine.

Yeah, this is a great one, and it's something I have recommended on here many times. Great stuff, and I prefer it to Royal Oud.

HMA is a good one. Light oud and amber that can be surprisingly worn in the summer. Yes, I said summer. Today is pretty warm (80 degrees) and it is not cloying at all. The oud seems more like a light cedar on my skin. Got this one on a humble (thanks silentrich). Pretty safe fragrance that wont clear a room. 8/10
    Last edited by sjg3839; 12th May 2014 at 06:30 PM.

Just ordered a bottle yesterday - looking forward to giving this one a try!
    Seasonal favorites:

2. Creed - Aventus
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio

I stumbled upon this myself over the weekend. I went to go post in the "internet deal" section because i knew it would be moved, and as i was doing it i'm thinking "sigh...no one will see this". Then i saw SilentRich's thread.

I'vr been trying to find a bottle of this for a long time. Its not even that its expensive, you just never see it period!

I have a large order from Fragrancenet coming tomorrow. I can't wait to smell this!

Just received the first of two sets I ordered from fragrancenet today. The box is big and well done for a gift set. I'm sure it would cost $10 or more just to ship this. Did about 4 sprays hitting the pulse points and one on the chest. Just like I remembered it. Love the way this develops on the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    Just received the first of two sets I ordered from fragrancenet today. The box is big and well done for a gift set. I'm sure it would cost $10 or more just to ship this. Did about 4 sprays hitting the pulse points and one on the chest. Just like I remembered it. Love the way this develops on the skin.

You're in FL? You can get away with wearing it there the summer?

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    I have a large order from Fragrancenet coming tomorrow. I can't wait to smell this!
    Did you pay for faster shipping? I ordered one as well, but I'm not expecting mine to arrive until Thursday of next week. I wonder how much longer it'll be available on Fragrancenet.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Any idea on how this compares to 24 Gold, better/worse/similar?

You're in FL? You can get away with wearing it there the summer?
    Have no problem wearing it in the heat. Matter of fact I think this performs better in warmer weather because it's the definition of a skin scent. You can overspray this and spray on clothes without fear of offending anyone.
    Last edited by silentrich; 14th May 2014 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    I don't see any comparison to 24 Gold. 24 Gold is a lot sweeter, quite a bit stronger, and I smell no myrrh or oud in it. Halston Amber Man is subtle and stays close to the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Did you pay for faster shipping? I ordered one as well, but I'm not expecting mine to arrive until Thursday of next week. I wonder how much longer it'll be available on Fragrancenet.
    Hell yes I did. It's like $3 extra to upgrade from free smartpost bullcrap to ups ground. I don't have the patience for smartpost lol.

Hell yes I did. It's like $3 extra to upgrade from free smartpost bullcrap to ups ground. I don't have the patience for smartpost lol.
    ...?!?!?!?!

Yougottabekiddingme. I had no idea. I always assumed it'd be somewhere around $15, not $3, so I never even bothered looking. Oh well. There's nothing I can do about it now other than wait.

I don't see any comparison to 24 Gold. 24 Gold is a lot sweeter, quite a bit stronger, and I smell no myrrh or oud in it. Halston Amber Man is subtle and stays close to the skin.
    Thanks Rich, went ahead and pulled the trigger on this...worth a blind buy try at this price.(especially since it seems hard to find)

Different. I find the oud in 24 gold has a bit of a rubbery, synthetic smell to it, the oud in HMA is better--it's fresher, woodier oud. 24 gold is a LOT sweeter. The amber is much thicker and sweeter. The amber in Halston is soft and lush, but it's not really sweet.

HMA is spicier, much more reserved, and I think it's a little classier. I like 24 Gold, but appreciate the subtle class of HMA. It makes it a little more versatile. And yes, it works surprisingly well in the warm weather. It's really nice.

Overall, they're fairly different frags. They probably get compared because they' re both in gold bottles...some kind of subliminal association maybe.

Did you order it?

Thanks Rich, went ahead and pulled the trigger on this...worth a blind buy try at this price.(especially since it seems hard to find)
    It's well worth the $45. Some might find it a bit too light or fleeting, but I think the versatility of this is what makes it stand out. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    ...?!?!?!?!

Yougottabekiddingme. I had no idea. I always assumed it'd be somewhere around $15, not $3, so I never even bothered looking. Oh well. There's nothing I can do about it now other than wait.
    Yeah, same here. I hate that FedEx --> USPS switch. Takes forever. Mine should arrive Saturday - would have paid a few extra bucks to get it a little sooner.

Just smelled 24 Gold for the first time, and fell in love with that - hope I like this one as much as that one.
    Seasonal favorites:

2. Creed - Aventus
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Just smelled 24 Gold for the first time, and fell in love with that - hope I like this one as much as that one.
    Just ordered a bottle of 24 Gold myself last night, can't wait for it to arrive!!!

I got my 2 4 oz bottles last week. Come with a small bottle of HAM and a small bottle of Halston Man.

Different. I find the oud in 24 gold has a bit of a rubbery, synthetic smell to it, the oud in HMA is better--it's fresher, woodier oud. 24 gold is a LOT sweeter. The amber is much thicker and sweeter. The amber in Halston is soft and lush, but it's not really sweet.

HMA is spicier, much more reserved, and I think it's a little classier. I like 24 Gold, but appreciate the subtle class of HMA. It makes it a little more versatile. And yes, it works surprisingly well in the warm weather. It's really nice.

Overall, they're fairly different frags. They probably get compared because they' re both in gold bottles...some kind of subliminal association maybe.

Did you order it?
    Thanks for the break down BB! Yeah, I bought a bottle of each. I generally like sweet frags so I figure 24 Gold is a pretty safe blind buy, but taking a little step of faith with the Halston as I'm not normally a big oud/strong amber fan. Although Ferarri Silver Essence turned out to be a very good blind buy for me, so I'm having faith that I'm gonna keep the streak of successful blind buys alive!

Quote Originally Posted by kontol View Post
    I got my 2 4 oz bottles last week. Come with a small bottle of HAM and a small bottle of Halston Man.
    How is Halston Man?

I enjoy it, a little bit louder than HAM.

How is Halston Man?

You wont regret it. Great fragrance. Congrats.

Thanks for the break down BB! Yeah, I bought a bottle of each. I generally like sweet frags so I figure 24 Gold is a pretty safe blind buy, but taking a little step of faith with the Halston as I'm not normally a big oud/strong amber fan. Although Ferarri Silver Essence turned out to be a very good blind buy for me, so I'm having faith that I'm gonna keep the streak of successful blind buys alive!
    Yeah, 24 Gold is great. And don't worry, Amber Man isn't too oudy or too amber-y in the way that I think you mean, it's well-balanced.

Be sure to post your updated thoughts!

I just got my shipment.

......No like lol. It smells exactly like Bond 9 New York Amber. Except the halston is not as heavy.

I just got my shipment.

......No like lol. It smells exactly like Bond 9 New York Amber. Except the halston is not as heavy.

What is it that you don't like about it?

What is it that you don't like about it?
    Have you ever smelled those cheap dollar store action figures or dolls?

The plastic has this smell that you can't mistake.

I remember when I smelled NY Amber for the first time I was absolutely repulsed because it reproduced this exact same plastic smell perfectly.
    And now I found it again in Halston lol.

Have you ever smelled those cheap dollar store action figures or dolls?

The plastic has this smell that you can't mistake.

I remember when I smelled NY Amber for the first time I was absolutely repulsed because it reproduced this exact same plastic smell perfectly.
    And now I found it again in Halston lol.
    Yeah,I know exactly what you're talking about. I get that note in the opening of 24 Gold. Don't get it in Halston though. It's gotta be a skin chemistry thing. I think skin chemistry gets overlooked a lot of times, and can really bring out certain facets in some people and not on others. Still can't figure it out for the life of me though.

Yeah,I know exactly what you're talking about. I get that note in the opening of 24 Gold. Don't get it in Halston though. It's gotta be a skin chemistry thing. I think skin chemistry gets overlooked a lot of times, and can really bring out certain facets in some people and not on others. Still can't figure it out for the life of me though.
    Could definitely be. For 24 Gold, I don't get the plastic smell. I just don't like it because i smell like a walking coffee cake lol.

Could definitely be. For 24 Gold, I don't get the plastic smell. I just don't like it because i smell like a walking coffee cake lol.
    I'm pretty picky about amber myself. Have you tried Montale's blue amber or TF Amber absolute?

Sent from Richard's Ipad
    Summer 2014 favorites

1. Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (orange)
    2. Dueto Citiver (Vetiver)
    3. Dior Homme Sport 2012 (Citron)
    4. Lalique Encre Noire Sport (Woody)
    5. Dior Homme Eau (Iris)
    6.Chanel Allure Edition Blanche

7. Cartier Roadster (Mint)
    8. Joop Splash (Fruity)
    9. Lanvin L'homme Sport (Petitgrain))
    10. Jesus Del Pozo Adventure Quasar (Gin)

Amber is such a challenging note to discuss because, for reasons I cannot comprehend, many perfume houses use the word amber when they actually mean AMBERGRIS. Amber and Ambergris are two completely different scents. Montale Blue Amber is amber. Prada Amber is NOT amber. It's ambergris (and a darn good one).

To my nose, Bond's NY Amber is dominated by ambergris, not amber. Maybe there's a bit of amber in there too, but to my nose, the scent is dominated by ambergris. I haven't tried Halston Man Amber yet - my bottle is in the mail - but I'll be curious to find out if it's amber or ambergris. I'm hoping for amber, but then again, if it's as good as its reputation, I'll be pleased even if it's ambergris. And speaking of NY Amber: it's excellent for layering with New Haarlem. Really, really excellent.

While the orders are coming in and we're smelling Halston Man Amber for the first time, I'm wondering, do any of you get the Royal Oud association as well?

It was the first frag that came to mind when I first applied HMA, but on subsequent wearings the association's become weaker. Curious what you guys think...

While the orders are coming in and we're smelling Halston Man Amber for the first time, I'm wondering, do any of you get the Royal Oud association as well?

It was the first frag that came to mind when I first applied HMA, but on subsequent wearings the association's become weaker. Curious what you guys think...
    It does to my nose. Royal Oud is one of my favorite Creeds and it's what I wear to any kind of formal occasion. With HMA I love the way it's blended and it's versatility. I also don't wear Royal Oud when it gets hot out along with the likes of TF Amber Absolute, 24 Gold, LADDM, Gucci Pour Homme I, or M7. I think those in hot climates will appreciate it more for what it is.

I'm pretty picky about amber myself. Have you tried Montale's blue amber or TF Amber absolute?

Sent from Richard's Ipad
    Well i wasn't really in search of an amber perfume when i bought Halston. I've just been wanting to try it ever since it came out due to the amount of praise it gets here. But it disappeared so quickly, many didn't even have a chance.

I do own a bottle of Amber Absolute, and love it. I've not smelled the Montale though. Amber Absolute to me is a more traditional Amber. In the same vein as MPG, HdP, SL, and many others.

However i do NOT get the same kind of smell from NY Amber and now Halston. They don't smell similar to those ambers at all. And honestly don't smell like ambergris to me either.

Now i;m really curious what 'L'Homme Blanc Individuel' has to say about it
    Last edited by aphexacid; 16th May 2014 at 04:17 PM.

Now i;m really curious what 'L'Homme Blanc Individuel' has to say about it
    My package tracker app just showed that the expected delivery was pushed back a day, to next Friday. Ugh! I'm still 7 days out from receiving it. If Halston Man Amber is along the lines of Royal Oud, I'll be thrilled. Royal Oud is easily in my all time top 5.

Just received Halston Man Amber. Sprayed it on the back of my hand about an hour ago. I don't think it smells anything like 24 Gold. 24 Gold is much more of a vanilla amber scent - HMA is much drier and more medicinal. I don't really find it too similar to Royal Oud either, but I can see how others might - the cedar / oud combination commonality. However, IMO, the Creed is much stronger with the cedar note, much more spicy. HMA is more of a dry oud scent with a lot of myrhh. Very different to me. In fact, I think HMA shares more in common with Armani Myrhhe Imperiale (but that one is much creamy (amber, etc) and far less dry without oud). Perhaps a blend of Myrhhe Imperiale and Royal Oud would put you in the same ballpark as HMA. Anyway despite a fairly mediocre opening, I think HMA has a lot of potential in the drydown - so far it is getting better.
    Seasonal favorites:

2. Creed - Aventus
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio

Recently I discovered this thanks to a fellow BN'er who sent me a generous sample. This is some pretty good juice.

At first I wasn't too impressed, sort of ho hum. I wore it to sleep the other night and couldn't stop smelling my arm. It opens up with a drier amber and myrhh with a woody and very nutty quality, and as it dries the oud note emerges. I gotta say, I never got on the oud bandwagon, it's just sort of a dull boring note to me. Amber though, really highlights the oud well, and compliments it. There's a subtle sweetness, nothing to call this fragrance overly sweet, or anywhere near gourmand, like the style of Tobacco Vanille. Very masculine, sexy, and fairly linear. About 12 hours later, I get the sweeter/creamy amber.. that common amber note that is in so many other fragrances, like 24 Gold, and Gaultier 2. To say it's a direct comparison to 24 Gold though.. I can't agree with that.. these 2 fragrances are very different. The projection on this isn't very good on me though, but the sillage seems to be ok. When I start to move around I could smell it more. I am still contemplating buying a bottle of this, but so far, I think it's pretty good.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 11th June 2014 at 10:02 AM.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

I see a few basenoters are comparing HMA to Royal Oud and 24 Gold. All three are very different to my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    I see a few basenoters are comparing HMA to Royal Oud and 24 Gold. All three are very different to my nose.
    I haven't smelled 24 Gold... but holy smokes, to my nose, Halston Man Amber has very little relation to Royal Oud. I'm on the fence about HMA. It was love at first sniff, but as time passed... I'm just not sure. It may end up on my swap list eventually. Or not? Something about it comes off being a bit like plastic to me, though I'm not sure why. I'm going to give it some time to see if my opinion changes.