Code of Conduct

Thread: Driftwood?

Default Driftwood?

I remember smelling something (don't remember what, MIGHT have been Nautica Voyage - 2006) that had DRIFTWOOD in it, and I liked it. I could search the directory for Driftwood frags (I have), but I would rather ask if there is one that has driftwood that really stands out? I don't recall exactly how driftwood smells, just that it was fascinating to my nose.
    Just because a fragrance is expensive, doesn’t necessarily make it smell better than a cheaper one.

I can still pray in the U.S.A. (For now, anyway.)
    Currently wearing: Passion Boisée by Frapin

Default Re: Driftwood?

The two I would recommend with this note are Bond No. 9 Montauk, and Burberry Summer 2009.

Dsquared Ocean Wet Wood also comes to mind, although this one doesn't have a specific driftwood accord.

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

The only one I know or that i recall with a prominent driftwood note is Caractere Sport by Daniel Hechter.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution

Please try Eau des Merveilles by Hermes. I think it's the ambergris that give it that driftwood sort of salty-wood smell.

Also, I'm not sure if I agree with this, but Bois d'Iris by Van Cleef & Arpels, according to their ad copy is
    Created to replicate the scent of driftwood on the seashore, Bois d'Iris is an atypical and enchanting woody blend created by a minimalist and ultra-qualitative structure. Precious essences of exotic wood are punctuated with a vibrant, salty note of ambergris, while a beautiful powdery iris lends soft elegance,reminiscent of Tuscany.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

My suggestion would be DSquared2 He Wood Ocean Wet Wood as well.
    MadHat Scents

Atlas Incense II (Shou Sugi Ban via Birch Tar & Cedar, Cardamom, Tonka, Incense) / Fur - $5 OFF SALE - (Vintage Musks, Woods, Leather) / Onsen Wood (Hinoki/Hiba/Cedar/Yuzu)

Thanks everyone for these suggestions, this is enough, I think, to help me find what I want. Looking forward to smelling Bois d'Iris, DSquared Wet Wood, Montauk (not much of a Burberry fan, though.), Caractere Sport, and Eau des Merveilles.
    Just because a fragrance is expensive, doesn’t necessarily make it smell better than a cheaper one.

Basenotes Junkie

Im not so sure about the Dsquared2's anymore. I used to own the first 3, He, Wet and Rocky, and ive had tiny bits left over in bottles. I returned to them to give the sprayer a sniff after since beginning to sample more expensive fragrances in general and they now smell to me like furniture polish and plastic.

Im not sure what I saw in them at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by DMA View Post
    Im not so sure about the Dsquared2's anymore. I used to own the first 3, He, Wet and Rocky, and ive had tiny bits left over in bottles. I returned to them to give the sprayer a sniff after since beginning to sample more expensive fragrances in general and they now smell to me like furniture polish and plastic. Im not sure what I saw in them at the time.
    Thanks for the heads up, nice to narrow it down quicker. :-)

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Allen-at-home View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, nice to narrow it down quicker. :-)
    Your welcome. Naturally it is just personal opinion. To be precise, He and Rocky smell like furniture polish and Wet smells like sweet plastic if there is such a thing...

When I can manage to pick up on the violet in Green Irish Tweed its convinicing enough that I can invision the colour purple, in these Dsquared2's there just generally a mess..

It is funny how ones perceptions can change overtime.
    Last edited by DMA; 12th May 2014 at 09:51 AM.

Great Throbbing Member

I like RMW but admit it does smell a bit obviously synthetic, at least for the first hour or so.
    What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence

CK Eternity Summer for Men 2013 has notable driftwood in it's composition.

Seconding especially Ocean Wet Wood
    Currently wearing: Khaliji by Al Rehab

Basenotes Institution

I forgot an important (and rarely discussed) one: Andree Putnam Preparation Parfumee
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle