Code of Conduct

Default Your most boring buying experience?

Here is mine...location: Chanel Boutique, Via del Babuino Rome,(very near to the Spanish Square), time: three days ago ...twenty five minutes standing up to acquire a bottle of Cuire de Russie, more security staff than SA's.. only three SA's while security staff made of six people(at least the visible ones!), very frustrating to say the least... luckily I'll come bck there when Sycomore will be over (in three years ..maybe! ).. now it's time for you to share your purchasing nightmares!
    Last edited by Francolino; 11th May 2014 at 12:56 PM.

Default Re: Your most boring buying experience?

Drugstores.
    Even the fragrance was boring.
    Not recommended.

Major department stores when you know what you want and just want to make a quick purchase. No sales assistants to be seen. Boring wait. Of course when you just want to look and try a few you will have a sales assistant follow you around trying to recommend all sorts of things.
    BRING BACK OUR GIRLS!

Quote Originally Posted by adam090273 View Post
    Major department stores when you know what you want and just want to make a quick purchase.
    This.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Usually, shopping for backups. Still, would never give up on the occasion to own larger amounts of a fragrance already liked, but if no testing, possibly followed by purchases, of other, previously unknown, is involved, fragrance shopping is the most predictable experience ever (not necessarily a bad thing, could just benefit from some extra thrills).

[QUOTE=adam090273;3146538]Major department stores when you know what you want and just want to make a quick purchase.

Ill second that

Chanel booth, Saks Fifth NYC,, First purchase from Chanel, Coromandel asked S.A. for some samples, she gave me Bleu de Chanel and Allure Homme.. I should have never bought it there..

My Best experiences;

Nose.fr in Paris
    Guerlain booth in Printemps Haussman Ave, Paris
    MiN New York
    Current Top 5:
    1. DHI
    2. Oud Wood
    3. Aventus
    4. By. Kilian A Taste of heaven
    5. Frederic Malle- Musc Ravageur

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur View Post
    Chanel booth, Saks Fifth NYC,, First purchase from Chanel, Coromandel asked S.A. for some samples, she gave me Bleu de Chanel and Allure Homme.. I should have never bought it there..

My Best experiences;

Nose.fr in Paris
    Guerlain booth in Printemps Haussman Ave, Paris
    MiN New York
    all the times I shopped at Chanel was never given samples and didn't ask, at the Dior boutique and Hermes' ones they are more friendly and you occasionally receive mini's...

Every time I pop into popular perfume stores.
    Nothing but a sea of pink fruity, white musk & sporty calone.
    Oh, and sorrowful reformulated classics of the past.

oh, oh , & new niche brands that are designer type perfumes masquerading as niche. Fancy packaging, mysterious notes & 'exclusive' prices.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

The first time I went to Nordstrom to shop for fragrances. It was a while back and I popped by specifically to look for L'eau d'Issey pour Homme (preferably the intense version, if they had it). I walked up to the male fragrance island and noticed two assistants chatting by it. I tried to avoid them and approached the fragrances from the side opposite to where they were, but had no luck so I came around and one of them asked me if I was looking for anything in particular.

"Yes, I am looking for L'eau d'Issey."
    "The which one? Oh, we don't have it."

Then I looked past her and noticed a gift set. "Oh, there it is."

Then she happily took my payment.

The most boring times is when no samples are available to be given when purchasing.

I had a bad experience at Chanel boutique Toronto abt 2 yrs back - this was when I was purchasing 4 exclusif's - since then, I've hardly ventured into any store only for parfums - boutique / department or any other - everything's mostly online, with blind buying of new niche on the rise (unfortunate result - but fortunately, eveything's clicked so far). Occasionally I venture to The Bay / Holt Renfrew to check on any new niche / designer that people rave about online - again - only when the regular SA I deal with is available at these locations.

The best experiences (in no particular order) are with Valerie @ Guerlain Toronto boutique / Josh @ Slumberhouse / Naz @ Theperfumeshoppe.com Vancouver / Frederic Malle online rep (forget her name)...

Basenotes Plus

Is the topic still "the most boring buying experience", or "the most awful buying experience"?

There are "bad" experiences, usually in retail establishments, but when it comes to just plain old "boring"... I think it's simply looking up some new fragrance online, finding it on the first site you hit, clicking ADD TO CART and checking out. At least in retail stores you have a chance to chat up the SA, try a few things, stretch your legs for couple hours, get some fresh air, etc. Otherwise the couch-potatoe approach to buying is probably the most boring thing I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Is the topic still "the most boring buying experience", or "the most awful buying experience"?

There are "bad" experiences, usually in retail establishments, but when it comes to just plain old "boring"... I think it's simply looking up some new fragrance online, finding it on the first site you hit, clicking ADD TO CART and checking out. At least in retail stores you have a chance to chat up the SA, try a few things, stretch your legs for couple hours, get some fresh air, etc. Otherwise the couch-potatoe approach to buying is probably the most boring thing I can think of.
    agree, also getting scents in parcels it's sad and here its an unnerving hobby thank of sloppy delivery systems!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I beg to differ. Buying online is way better than having a clueless SA serve you, especially when you have the freedom to look up reviews, perfume notes, perfumer profile, compare at leisure scents from samples etc. prior to making a full bottle purchase decision, all in the comfort of your own home or preferred environment.

Pray tell me how can that ever be boring?

My most boring fragrance experience was buying a Chanel Les Exclusif from a boutique and having to put up with a snotty SA who was clearly more interested in making big ticket sales. I sussed him out quickly, made my request and walked away with my intended purchase in 10 minutes flat.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 12th May 2014 at 02:46 PM.

SA's who take you for a schmuck and start peddling their ridiculous bullshit and lies at you. I never call them on it though -- too cruel.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Buying online is way better than having a clueless SA serve you, especially when you have the freedom to look up reviews, perfume notes, perfumer profile, compare at leisure scents from samples etc. prior to making a full bottle purchase decision, all in the comfort of your own home or preferred environment.
    I share this point of view. Particularly with sites like luckyscent where the customer has a say in what complimentary samples to receive. Looking at what is available to sample adds to the fun described above.

Pretty much any cheap fragrance I order online on a whim, like *click* cart *click* paypal *click* done.

No thought, no risk, no human interaction.

Online purchases aren't always boring though. Blind buys on the pricier side have an element of surprise and gambling/risk to them and long awaited purchases of something I've sampled (which is rare) or put a lot of research into have a "you earned it" kind of feeling.

I also find generic department store experiences like Macy's pretty boring because it's usually the same old stuff that's always there. Sephora's cool though, there's always something new that pops up there, and the higher end stores like Saks have interesting stuff to test.

Mine was attempting to mail-order Dior Vetiver from a well-known London department store. After numerous 'on holds' and 'patch-throughs', having to speak in a LOUD AND CLEAR VOICE to facilitate comprehension, I was informed that 'we cannot be shipping to an address other than home address, so sorry', even though online orders to said establishment had already achieved that lofty aim. Oh well.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    I share this point of view. Particularly with sites like luckyscent where the customer has a say in what complimentary samples to receive. Looking at what is available to sample adds to the fun described above.
    I'm not saying buying online isn't fun - I do it *all the time*... I'm saying that if you know exactly what you want, you do a search, find it on the first site that pops up, you buy it, end of fun. That's what I was referring to as 'boring experience" - which I thought was the subject matter of this thread (yup, the subject still has "boring buying experience"). There was no thrill, adrenaline rush, etc, just a boring shopping experience. Shopping on luckyscent and similar sites that offer samples is admittedly a bit less boring.

Having said that, the experience of actually going to a physical store where you can mingle with *knowledgable* SAs, try a dozen things on the spot, and get some fresh air and exercise while at it - sure beats sitting on a couch staring at a screen. Not talking about most generic department store experiences - those SAs rarely know much about fragrances in the first place, but if you venture on to the Scent Bar, Frederick Malle boutique, Tom Ford boutique, Dior/Chanel/Guerlain boutiques in LV, MiN New York - I'd rather spend a few hours there than in front of my computer screen or iPad.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    the experience of actually going to a physical store where you can mingle with *knowledgable* SAs, try a dozen things on the spot, and get some fresh air and exercise while at it - sure beats sitting on a couch staring at a screen. Not talking about most generic department store experiences - those SAs rarely know much about fragrances in the first place, but if you venture on to the Scent Bar, Frederick Malle boutique, Tom Ford boutique, Dior/Chanel/Guerlain boutiques in LV, MiN New York - I'd rather spend a few hours there than in front of my computer screen or iPad.
    Those are the best of buying experiences. Even clueless SAs that don't try to sell themselves as subject matter experts can make for a delightful store experience.

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    The first time I went to Nordstrom to shop for fragrances. It was a while back and I popped by specifically to look for L'eau d'Issey pour Homme (preferably the intense version, if they had it). I walked up to the male fragrance island and noticed two assistants chatting by it. I tried to avoid them and approached the fragrances from the side opposite to where they were, but had no luck so I came around and one of them asked me if I was looking for anything in particular.

"Yes, I am looking for L'eau d'Issey."
    "The which one? Oh, we don't have it."

Then I looked past her and noticed a gift set. "Oh, there it is."

Then she happily took my payment.
    This happened to me, too. Looking for a scent that was released recently in a Sephora. Did not find it on the shelves, so asked an SA. She gave me a blank stare and said they did not have it. Then a family member located a large display at the front of the store featuring the new launch. Not impressed.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

The most amazing was going to Mazzolari in Milan and seeing the passion of the SAs and their love of fragrance. The most disappointing would be Hermes in Singapore where the SAs know nothing about their fragrance range. For online shopping, I've found Essenza Nobile to be excellent.

Blog Entries

Most boring as of late has been trying all the new stuff that all smells the same. Fruity florals masquerading as 'chypres'. So aggravating. The perfumers seem to know chypres are in demand so they simply mislabel them. I'm mad as hell and not going to take it any more!