Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Sample of the Day - May 2014

Starting this month with 25:43 by Gorilla Perfumes. Notes are listed as lime, litsea, lemongrass, lemon myrtle, tonka, benzoin & vanilla. l wanted to try this for two reasons; l was looking for a scent with lemongrass, as l've recently enjoyed this note in Champneys' Thai Royale shower cream & body cream. l also hoped this might replicate the scent of a vanilla & lime candle l currently have, which Mr teardrop loves the smell of. l ended up blind buying a small atomiser online, as l couldn't find a sample or tester anywhere.

This one kicks of with a huge accord of lime & lemongrass, which is somehow sticky & yet sour/tart, not sweet at all, & certainly not subtle. lt's around forty five minutes until this becomes bearable, when the accord is joined by something distinctly resinous to my nose; possibly labdanum or opoponax. ln fact, the heart of this fragrance is a dead ringer for Les Nereides' lmperial Opoponax, with lime & lemongrass substituting the bergamot. Some time later it finally sweetens as the tonka becomes detectable, but never becomes overly sweet. lt all fades out after seven or eight hours.

25:43 isn't what l expected at all. lt's resinous & oriental-fruity rather than tropical, summer-fruity, & l have no idea when l might wear this. Mr teardrop liked it though, (although he only got to sniff it once it calmed down a bit) so l might persevere with it.

l recently took delivery of a bunch of new samples, so l hope to report back here more regularly this month.

l hope lots of you will join me in sampling & sharing your impressions!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Default Re: Sample of the Day - May 2014

Yves Rocher Moment de Bonheur L'Eau
    also tested Aramis Havana for the first time- was impressed

Received and tested this month :

- Brecourt Haram : Full bottle worthy for me. This composition packs so many notes and somehow manages to stuff them all into one extremely rich and balanced tablespoon of gourmand "vitamins". I feel that each note mentioned in the pyramid is extremely vital and important, whether it's detectable or not. And that for me is the recipe of a winning scent. "Smokey" dark honey (as if someone was smoking inside a honey pot) and cinnamon are the most detectable on my skin, then it dries down into a sublime authentic dried dates accord. I wish the projection was a little better, but that only extracts a tiny bit of my rating. Full bottle worthy without a doubt in my mind.

- Brecourt Esprit Mondain: Nice versatile semi-fruity "bright" scent, very similar to Boss Bottled but more interesting, thanks to the addition of a lovely cabernet sauvignon note, some lovely edible resins and a hide n seek note of incense. Very "blue collar" type scent that can be worn anytime, but falls short in the uniqueness department imo.

- DSH perfumes Cafe Noir : One of the darkest scents i have smelled. You want dark, seek no further. Black coffee beans, hot peppers, labdanum, tolu balsam, benzoin. I like it a lot but i find it to be very "specific" and demanding in the sense of having the right mood to wear it. Also, the price of $135 for a 30ml edp does not make things very tempting. For that money , i prefer to get something like Pear & olive for example.

- DSH perfumes Seven : It starts off as a spicy copy of LDDM then transforms quickly into a basil & lime dominated aroma, with incense and geranium sitting in the background. Longevity is 1 hour. Yes, 1 hour ! Very disappointed with the performance of this one.

- Imaginary Authors Bull's blood : I smell blood. Yes it's there. A scrubber for me. Didn't even give it a second wearing.
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 11th May 2014 at 07:10 PM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Blog Entries

Today l tried Wit, the new release from Parfums DelRae.

Having read about this one on a few of the blogs & discovered that it's based on the scent of daphne, l had to try it. There was a daphne bush just outside the conservatory door of the last house l lived in. The tiny pink flowers would bloom when nothing else did, in the midst of winter. When you opened that door to go outside, the beautiful scent was remarkably strong, & if the windows were open, it would carry into the house.

Wit opens with a bright & lemony floral accord, both sweet & tart, with a cool, leafy feel. As it settles into the heart, l detect a clean jasmine, chilly narcissus & lightly powdery mimosa. After ninety minutes, there's a soft, smooth vanilla ice-cream note in the base.

So does it smell like daphne? As l don't have any around here to smell, l can't say for certain, but the opening is fairly close, l think. This impression only lasts around fifteen minutes though, & although the heart is very pretty, it all fades out after around three hours, & is only just detectable after seven. Another floral that l think is quite lovely, but so far hasn't wowed me enough to need a bottle.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Hey guys, today I sampled L'Artisan Passage d'Enfer. What a lovely, soft, delicate incense. Austere and airy, despite the prominent lily. This is so very well balanced and executed, that it is hard to find fault. Some will say it is not strong enough, nor lasting enough, but I think it would possibly lose it's magic to incorporate anything else to make those two things stronger. It is what it is - an excellent fragrance to fit a mood perfectly. Very well worth the seeming shortcomings.

Blog Entries

cello; l think that's one l need to try, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    cello; l think that's one l need to try, thanks!
    Oh yes, teardrop, you might very well like this one! As long as you don't expect a BWF

Testing two O'Driù's, Lalfeogrigio and Lalfeorosa. This morning I've tested Invasion Barbare by MDCI (third MDCI scent in a row I really don't like).
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | NICHE & VTG| Vero Kern, Boadicea, Tabacco Toscano, Signoricci, M7, Capucci, Ungaro II...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Today's samples :

- Slumberhouse Zahd : Cranberry heavy with a capital H. By the time it calms down, some woody hints of incense starts to emerge. But like other Slumberhouse scents, the almost linear in your face slow development hurts this one in my book (while it works so well in Ore and Jeke for example), as the cranberry (joined by cherry later on) really never goes away. So far, Ore extrait and P&O still lead as my must-buy favorites from this house.

- Imaginary Authors Falling into the sea : This is Sel Marin's beautiful sister who really loves to eat Litchi. On my skin, this is extremely similar to Sel Marin + Litchi. Unfortunately, the latter note starts to get annoying after a while. The combo of a sand note, grapefruit and litchi might be appealing to others(and it's obvious in the positive reviews), but this one doesn't work for me. Maybe future wearings in hot weather would change my mind.

- Tauer Eau d'epices (new re-released version ?) : I'm always fascinated by the quality of ingredients every single time i spray a Tauer scent on my skin. They hit you with thickness/richness like there's no tomorrow, as if there was zero alcohol in the concentration ! This is basically orange flower, jasmine, incense and cloves running a marathon without even one note passing the other. Linear, parallel and in unissons from start to finish, that's what you basically get. Do i like the mixture ? Yes, but i love Incense Rose.
    Last edited by tdwctdwc; 19th May 2014 at 06:51 PM.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

I have the sample pack of the four Decennial fragrances created for Luckyscent's 10th anniversary, so thought I would finally give some of them a try.

Decennial Lys de Desert was created by Andy Tauer for this line. It is meant to evoke a morning in Los Angeles, the "natural surroundings, which would be nothing but a desert of sand and desert lillies were it not for man's intervention."

Well, I will admit it is dry! This is basically a woody amber overlaid by a dry and soft floral (lily) in a somewhat traditional blend. There is a soft incense to provide part of the dry feel, and also a healthy dose of iris to provide some additional dry powder feel to the amber. The woody base has almost a driftwood like smell, not really sharp, but...well, dry again.

I think this is well done, and on initial arm spray, I really liked it. But upon applying a full wear, it seemed rather linear, and actually started to grate on me a bit. The smell is good, but just became too much of the same. A pass for me, but interesting to smell my first Tauer composition.

I sampled MFK's Absolue pour le Soir today. I liked Cologne pour le Soir and had high hopes for the Absolue, but after a few minutes, the cumin took over and drowned every other note. I don't find cumin sweaty, animalic, or objectionable but it reminds me of Mexican food, which I don't particularly want to smell like. Sadly, on me Absolue smells like a honey-covered taco. Serge Lutens' Fleur d'Oranger did the same thing on me--a taco sitting next to a glass of Tang.

Blog Entries

Today l tried White Fire by Tiziana Terenzi.

Right from the opening, this is a smooth white floral with no sharp edges to be found. The initial phase has an almost minty coolness, while the heart is soft & creamy. Apparently the white floral accord here is mostly jasmine, but l get a distinct impression of gardenia, & l agree with Foustie's review that mentions lily & lilac. lt reminds me most of all of VC&A's Gardenia Petale, of which l own a decant, & l will need to do a side-by-side comparison at some point. lt dries down in a linear fashion, with the only base note l can detect being a white musk. The projection is fairly low, & it all fades out fast after around four hours.

The overall impression here is soft, dreamy & romantic. lt's a gorgeous gardenia fragrance to my nose, but l must admit to a smidgeon of disappointment with this one. l expected more of a "white floral bomb", (the stuff my dreams are made of ) but this is rather quiet & lacking in longevity for me. We'll have to see if spraying from an atomiser will make a difference...

With a purchase received a sample of the new Different Company "Une Nuit Magnetique". Very nice. I can see a bottle coming down the pike very soon.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    With a purchase received a sample of the new Different Company "Une Nuit Magnetique". Very nice. I can see a bottle coming down the pike very soon.
    Hednic, you are too funny! I always see bottles coming your way!

I have just been wowed by this sample called Relique d' Armour By Oriza L Legrand.

This is one of the most haunting and evocative fragrances that reminds you straight away of a old Church.

This opens with a absolutely gorgeous and haunting lily note like you are smelling the flower up close. This is mixed in with incense and pine giving the scent real depth.

This scent is very evocative of a Church and it must be the incense as I keep thinking about the last time I was in a old Abbey on holiday.

This has wowed me in that I have never smelled anything before that captures the smell of been in a old church as well as this. The lily and incense with the pine and other notes just really evoke that church smell. Amazing!
    Last edited by Jack Hunter; 23rd May 2014 at 03:26 PM.

Blog Entries

Jack; that does sound intriguing, & similar to cello's description above of Passage d'Enfer. Have you tried both, & how would you say they compare?

I have not tried that one unfortunately so I cannot compare.

I have been in a lot of old English churches throughout my life that date back hundreds and hundreds of years. And this scent captures the smell to a T. It really is the most evocative and haunting scent I have ever tried. You can close your eyes and smell it up close and imagine monks and that old world feel. It really is amazing.

Blog Entries

Thanks, Jack! On the test list it goes.

Today l tried Gardez-Moi by Jovoy; another one l felt it my duty to sample as a gardenia lover.

The opening is very diffusive, green & wet in feel, with a fruity jasmine & a touch of tuberose. After around twenty minutes, the fruitiness fades & a soft gardenia peeks through, along with a subtly peppery lily & a herbal undercurrent. From here it all settles close to the skin, with just a hint of woody-vanilla sweetness in the base.

l enjoyed the heart phase of this one, but the opening was a little too fruity for me, & the base did not provide enough strength & support to keep it all going beyond around four hours. Five hours after application there's not a trace of it left on my skin. l guess l should be relieved not to love this, as it's only available in (expensive) 100ml bottles...

Well this evening I have been testing another sample from the house of Oriza L. Legrand called Oeillet Louis XV.

The opening reveals a pure and intense carnation note that is very vibrant and beautiful. Very soon a sweet white musk with rose and iris blooms from within the blend. Also a orange note gives the scent a overall slight sourness.

The scent is very lush and floral and has a watery feel to it's nature like the flowers have been slightly soaked after the rain.

As time goes by I can detect cloves as well as some slight woods but the sweet carnation is dominating the blend.

This scent is absolutely captivating and intricate. As I can pickup slight hints of other notes within the main carnation aroma. A wonderful blend and I get a aristocratic old world feel to the scent.

Retested two affordable scents I was familiar with, but had to further review their skin performance: Yves Rocher Vanille Agriculture Bio and Yves Rocher Noix de coco de Malaisie.

Testing Acqua di Parma - Blu Mediterraneo: Mirto di Panarea today... wonderful stuff!

Blog Entries

Today l tried Nuit Andalouse by MDCI, another fragrance supposedly centred around the gardenia note.

My impression of the opening is of white flowers, mainly jasmine & tuberose, along with peachy lactones & a hint of green, perhaps moss. Then l read that the top notes are apparently violet & orange. l don't get violet, but l can see how orange might translate as peach somehow. ln the heart there's a lot of ylang-ylang, which is very diffusive & creates a lovely trail. l find that sniffed up close, there is no gardenia here, but at a distance the sillage does produce an impression of soft, creamy gardenias. The overall feel here is very dreamy & romantic, & it strikes me that this would make a gorgeous wedding perfume. As it dries down, vanilla & white musk make an appearance, & what remains in the final phase is a wonderfully milky sandalwood. lt all lasts a respectable eight hours before fading.

l'm rather impressed with this one, for its shape-shifting properties, that beautiful trail, & most of all the fact that it not only has a discernable & lasting base, (seemingly unlike many other perfumes these days) but that base is a really decent quality sandalwood, the like of which l've only experienced in Bois des lsles & vintage Samsara. A wonderful surprise, & a great way to end the month!