Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default In Praise of Parfumo

In the Internet Blogosphere, there are many stops. I don't want to be impolite and praise one over another and I enjoy my membership with Basenotes and especially the sometimes tumultuous intelligent discussions. And much more.

Now, as a side thought (not an advertisement) - merely a pleasant discussion website to visit - there is Parfumo. It was started originally around 2009 in Germany (the motto was: "let's just make order in the perfume market and gather here") it has now grown and added an international site where English speaking members gather. Fine and good. The place is smaller than Basenotes but has sometimes very interesting features and moreover, these are constantly overhauled.

So, what is the latest? Radar Charts. What is that in the perfume world, one might ask? Well, the suitability of a perfume (any perfume) is rated by the members on that particular perfume's profile page. Results are charted in a Pie Chart. Now there is a button (an option) to convert the Pie Chart into a Radar Chart,

and voila, "the truth comes out"! The information is so much more obvious.

See this link and convert one into the other, back and forth.

http://www.parfumo.net/Perfumes/Erox/Realm_Women
    Last edited by Ursula; 11th May 2014 at 02:27 PM.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: In Praise of Parfumo

Thanks for the link. It's interesting.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I see your point. That "radar" format is easy to analyze.
    Then I got distrated by the Erox website, which I visited afterward. And then I looked up the pheromones they use, and I fell down the rabbit hole by going to PheroTalk, a pheromone forum website -- and they were running tests on volunteers!
    Oh, dear.
    And all you wanted was an opinion on the Parfumo website...
    So, I'll stick to that and make another thread for the discussion of pheromones.
    It looks like Parfumo is doing a good job of their review pages, plus they've got a forum, so the end result is something like Fragrantica + Basenotes.
    i don't have time for two forums, so I'll remain here exclusively. What interests me is the tone of their forum. It seems that all forums collect a certain number of Trolls, and I wonder how they deal with that. Sometimes Trolls attract members because people like to read controversy, but in the long run, they drive members away because people find them unpleasant. Over time, trolls are sure to bring a website down. I think it would be best to get rid of Trolls from the onset of their misbehavior.

In my opinion, when people have enough unpleasant experiences here, they drift toward Parfumo. It's not the pie charts and optically pleasing formatting that attracts them as much as it is the civil behavior of the members. (If, indeed, that is true. I wouldn't know because I don't belong there.)

Default In Praise of Parfumo

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    I see your point. That "radar" format is easy to analyze.
    Then I got distrated by the Erox website, which I visited afterward. And then I looked up the pheromones they use, and I fell down the rabbit hole by going to PheroTalk, a pheromone forum website -- and they were running tests on volunteers!
    Oh, dear.
    And all you wanted was an opinion on the Parfumo website...
    So, I'll stick to that and make another thread for the discussion of pheromones.
    It looks like Parfumo is doing a good job of their review pages, plus they've got a forum, so the end result is something like Fragrantica + Basenotes.
    i don't have time for two forums, so I'll remain here exclusively. What interests me is the tone of their forum. It seems that all forums collect a certain number of Trolls, and I wonder how they deal with that. Sometimes Trolls attract members because people like to read controversy, but in the long run, they drive members away because people find them unpleasant. Over time, trolls are sure to bring a website down. I think it would be best to get rid of Trolls from the onset of their misbehavior.

In my opinion, when people have enough unpleasant experiences here, they drift toward Parfumo. It's not the pie charts and optically pleasing formatting that attracts them as much as it is the civil behavior of the members. (If, indeed, that is true. I wouldn't know because I don't belong there.)
    Trolls like attention, so are attracted to busier forums. If the Parfumo forum had as much traffic as here (although it seems to be falling recently, to me), then the trolls would probably be just as active there.

I do agree that it's a good-looking site and more up to date than some :whistles:
    Number of sprays N = {(6-L)x(7-P)}/2 (where L = longevity and P = projection, on a scale of 1-5).

Sound Scents

While I am happy here, it is no secret I am a big Parfumo.net fan and participant too. I absolutely love their review page format, and the tools it provides for both writers and readers alike. The new radar feature is just another enhancement that makes Parfumo a great place to seek out information.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    2) Giorgio V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    4) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    5)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    6) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    7) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    7) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    7) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    7) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

Basenotes Plus

I particularly like the option to accommodate photos by the community.

I've visited the site a handful of times, but the "surplus wholesale vendor" look to it has prevented me from exploring it further.
    Currently wearing: Musk Oud by By Kilian

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    I've visited the site a handful of times, but the "surplus wholesale vendor" look to it has prevented me from exploring it further.
    And I thought I was the only one who feel this way. Something about the color scheme/saturation just rubs me the wrong way.

Blog Entries

Re: Trolls on Parfumo

There are rarely, if ever, Trolls on the International site. Sometimes, a Troll appears on the German site, which has more members and more traffic, maybe that explains it. Then, a Troll is quickly spotted and made into "minced meat" by the members who have spotted him/her. Recently an explanation website was cited: http://www.faz.net/aktuell/gesellsch...-12830790.html

And if the Troll behavior continues, Management swiftly makes short process and the account is deleted forever. (Not that some persistent Trolls come back under a different identity, but that is what Trolls do.)

Fear not, there is a very pleasant atmosphere on the more recent International site.

I have been busy commenting and typing on both Basenotes and Parfumo, back and forth, if one is polite, that is totally appropriate in the Internet.

Some good features of Basenotes I have recommended to Parfumo, and some good features of Parfumo I mentioned on Basenotes.

I feel like that navigating on the Internet is pretty much like on Campus going from one hall of learning to another, and that on a daily basis.
    Last edited by Ursula; 12th May 2014 at 11:57 PM.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)