Code of Conduct

Default creed erolfa vintage or current formula?

So I was wowed by creed erolfa today. I have the chance to buy the current formulation or a vintage tester with no cap. Which one is the better fragrqnce?

Default Re: creed erolfa vintage or current formula?

I tried it about a year ago from a batch that was from the late 90's apparently. It was pretty nasty. The top notes were typical aquatics, the base was horrid and smelled like cat piss.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

To my knowledge, there's been no change in the formulation of this one. So it shouldn't really matter what year the bottle was from.

EROLFA is one of the most underrated Creeds out there, IMO. My bottle is older (early 2000s), and when I compare it to the tester at Neiman Marcus, I have found it to be a little saltier and more pungent (in a good way), but I also think the newer version is quite good as well. I think a newer batch may be a little more crowd pleasing.

By pungent do you mean more salty? I smelled the current version and it was perfect. So if you had to pick would you pick an earlier or recent batch

I'd pick the batch that you could get at the best price.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I'd pick the batch that you could get at the best price.
    This would definitely be my strategy.

Tried several batches from different years. They all smelled the same to me.

I have both vintage and new bottles, and prefer the newer one. Top notes have a nice sparkle in the newer bottle. The vintage bottle is good, but it's missing that zing you want in a fresh scent.

Personally, I think Erolfa is underrated on BN. It's a really good one for summer wear. Makes me feel like a J Crew model on a yacht photo shoot whenever I wear it. I've actually worn it on vacation sunset sails. It's perfect for that kind of scene.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    IPersonally, I think Erolfa is underrated on BN. It's a really good one for summer wear. Makes me feel like a J Crew model on a yacht photo shoot whenever I wear it. I've actually worn it on vacation sunset sails. It's perfect for that kind of scene.
    I agree totally.

The original version with the old label is a touch darker and dirtier, whilst the more recent one is fresher and brighter on my skin.

I would take Hednic's advice and buy the one that you could get the best deal on. From my experiences there's not a lot of variation between batches of this. I've never smelled the vintage juice, but I owned a 2009 bottle and the newer bottles smell just like it.

Basenotes Junkie

I would never contemplate buying any light/citrus themed fragrance old, but thats just me...

I've never been a fan of Erolfa, but get whatever batch strikes your fancy. There hasn't been a reform, but Creed is notorious for batch variations, supposedly due to crop quality and percent yield. Some say that the solar wind on the alien worlds in which the crops are grown are due to these fluctuations lol
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Default creed erolfa vintage or current formula?

Yes, I would say my older bottle of EROLFA is saltier than the tester, but it agree with the other posters. I don't think there are any reformulations or batch issues to worry about. I just think my bottle has aged. You should get whichever bottle has the best deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    The original version with the old label is a touch darker and dirtier, whilst the more recent one is fresher and brighter on my skin.
    Yes, this is my experience also. I once had the old style bottle that smelled quite dirty and nasty in the dry down. My new style bottle (with sticker) is fresher and more pleasant.