Code of Conduct

Default Malle fragrances: Anyone else find Vetiver Extrordinaire barely detectable?

I find four sprays of Vetiver Extraordinaire are never anything more than skin scents, detectable no further than an inch above my skin. Can it be that everything that I thought was vetiver had been molecularly distilled out, and the very essence of vetiver that Ropion claims to be present in Vetiver Extrordinaire, is something that I'm completely anosmic to?

Or is Malle just really chintzy with anything but alcohol?

Default Re: Malle fragrances: Anyone else find Vetiver Extrordinaire barely detectable?

Not me! 4 sprays does moderate sillage and great longevity for me. Perhaps an additional spray to your clothes to help your situation?
    Currently wearing: Eau de Cade by L'Occitane

Default Re: Malle fragrances: Anyone else find Vetiver Extrordinaire barely detectable?

Sounds strange, vetiveril is usually not anything people can be anosmic to, but everything is possible. Plus, while VE does contain a very high fraction of vetiver, most other vetivers do indeed contain a lot of vetiver too.

In a recent post, somebody was saying that VE has been reformulated and is now a shade of its former self. So that's another possibility.

cacio

Not at all!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Wow! This frag is a beast on me - and when I heat up, it blooms like crazy!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Hugo Element by Hugo Boss

It does quieten down a bit after an hour but blazes back up.
    for swap/sale:

I've never given it a full wearing, but from sampling it on my arm, it doesn't seem like a weak projection/longevity fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    +1.
    Current favorites____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Bois d'Argent____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Millesime Imperial_____Edition Blanche_____Pineapple Vintage Intense____Nasomatto Pardon____Herod____Dior Homme/Intense/Parfum/Cologne_____Oud Wood_____GIT

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I get excellent longevity with this Malle as I do with all the other Malles I own.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I get most of a day out of it easily. Maybe try three sprays instead of four -- olfactory fatigue is always a possibility.
    Currently wearing: New Haarlem by Bond No. 9

i would describe it as slightly detectable after an hour. Always thought that it's a problem with me - anosmia to that scent which is universally loved.

I hardly smell any vetiver in there, I only smell a light glue/wax smell (which I am given to know it's nowadays' concept of "vetiver", as I also smelled it in other contemporary vetiver-based scents).

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

I can barely smell this either, which is odd as I don't have the same experience with other vetivers.
    Number of sprays N = {(6-L)x(7-P)}/2 (where L = longevity and P = projection, on a scale of 1-5).

Vetiver Extraordinaire is in fact too much to handle for me, too loud, too much vetiver & too bitter. But I've sampled it about 3 years ago so there might be a reformulation recently?

Sound Scents

I can't speak to any potential reformulation (though I don't see any reason why Malle would do that on this one), but the sample spray I tested from a couple years back was plenty strong and *plenty* good. One of the best Vetiver compositions out there, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    +2.....
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Bought it back in 2004. First recommendation from Basenotes. Excellent projection and longevity, it takes a few showers to wash it off !!

Thanks, everyone for your thoughtful replies. What a strange phenomenon smell is! Clearly people have different experiences with the same substance.

I've read that people's ability to detect certain synthetics improves over time, owing perhaps to neural plasticity and the need for the brain to lay down the neural hardware required to process the novel stimulus. Apparently some people who are blind or deaf since birth for some sort of peripheral (non-neural) reason, are still unable to see or hear well if the "blockage" is removed later than early childhood. Also, I've been told that there are languages that contain speech sounds that nonnative speakers simply cannot hear, despite the sounds being perfectly audible to people who have spoken the language since childhood.

Many years ago a named vetiver scent was among the first of my perfume purchases. I know the scent very well. So I wonder if there are new synthetics in Vetiver Extrordinaire that I can't smell, but paradoxically are so strong that they overwhelm my ability to detect standard vetiver. Weird stuff going on.

Lasts 8+ hours on me too. No problem with longevity. I bought mine about 18 months ago. I am not sure if it has been sadly reformulated since then however.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I can barely smell this either, which is odd as I don't have the same experience with other vetivers.
    Same here. Years ago, I bought samples (directly from Malle) and was very disappointed... and perplexed. VE smelled like nothing more than chemicals. I think it was lighter fluid that it reminded me of.
    For swap/sale: Fougère Royale, AdP Colonia Club, Tauer Lonesome Rider, MDCI Cuir Garamante, vintage Tiffany for Men, 1 Million Intense, Montale Cuir D'Arabie, Bentley Intense, Prada Amber PH Intense, Prada Amber PH metal travel spray, Loewe PH, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Obsession, others.
    http://tinyurl.com/ju9yuu6 (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/hx7yws8
    (sales)
    Currently wearing: Oud Wood by Tom Ford

Good point on smelling ability. Part of it is genetic, we all have our own hypersensitivies and anosmias. Typically they are with musks. But as you say, it is well possible that what you are anosmic to is one of the fixatives used for VE. Without fixative, most natural scents become very faint after a while.

cacio