Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Amouage Journey Man: mish-mash

I find Amouage Journey (men's and women's) as a joke - put good materials no matter how and no matter why. Here is the result - new amouage. Red, blue, shining, transparent, white, black, etc.

Luca Turin called TF Purple Patchouli a potpourri scent. He was right. However it's a weird and interesting potpourri with much character. In contrast Amouage makes almost exact clones of their previous scents - harsh, heavy on woods, rich in unidentifiable layers and resins.

The only superb Amouage is anti-amouage - Reflection for Women by M. Roucel. Splash of water and dazzling sunlight.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    One can not prove the beauty, but show it. You see it or you don't.

Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) Guerlain Habit Rouge 5) TF Noir de Noir \\ Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Default Re: Amouage Journey Man: mish-mash

Have you tried it?........... If so then a coherent analysis of why would make your reasons understandably. Which is not the case from reading what you have written.
    Currently wearing: Eau de Santal by Floris

Sorry you don't like the house of Amouage. You don't have to buy their fragrances.

There ... happily every after

Interesting, it got quite a good review here: http://www.kafkaesqueblog.com/2014/0...ery-splendour/

Dependent

I'm planning on buying it anyway, for the namesake

If it's good, then so much the better. I can always use more Amouage in my collection.

Thanks for the write up. I was planning on giving it a try, but the more recent Amouage scents have not impressed me. I don't have high expectations, but maybe i'll be surprised.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Creed - Virgin Island Water
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Creed - Original Cologne
    10. Clive Christian - 1872 for Men

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    I find Amouage Journey (men's and women's) as a joke - put good materials no matter how and no matter why. Here is the result - new amouage. Red, blue, shining, transparent, white, black, etc.

Luca Turin called TF Purple Patchouli a potpourri scent. He was right. However it's a weird and interesting potpourri with much character. In contrast Amouage makes almost exact clones of their previous scents - harsh, heavy on woods, rich in unidentifiable layers and resins.

The only superb Amouage is anti-amouage - Reflection for Women by M. Roucel. Splash of water and dazzling sunlight.
    Aside from Memoir Man, I find majority of their Man fragrances are jokes. And they're no stranger to borrowing/cloning creations of other houses or even their own

Reflection Man - Everyone knows that it's the reflection of Le Male
    Fate Man - A Rose 31 with no rose
    Interlude Man - Memoir Man with a tribute to the tween gourmand section of Bath & Body Works
    Ciel Man - Unbranded peach scented hairspray
    Lyric Man - Unbranded rose scented shampoo
    Gold Man - Dried spit of someone who has not brush his teeth in days lol

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    Gold Man - Dried spit of someone who has not brush his teeth in days lol
    Yes -- I think this was what Amouage were aiming for here

Journey Man -- even the name sounds uber cheesy

Where and when did you get samples of Journey Man & Woman to try - is it available where you are or did you receive pre-release reviewer samples?
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Haven't seen it in my area yet, but as with all Amouages, have to at least try it when I see it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I'm very skeptical that the OP has tried Journey Man, and I'm also confused as to what point was being made.

Though I find the more recent offerings (after Memoir) to be less interesting than earlier ones, I am looking forward to trying Journey Man; it sounds like it has potential.

I don't agree that all Amouage smell the same, though there are some "house accords" that turn up with different supporters.

I am also wondering if the OP has actually smelled it; is it available anywhere?
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Of course, I smelled Journey yesterday in Vilnius (not from samples, but bottles)! In a very beautiful niche perfume boutique "Creme de la Creme" which has lots of niche brands, including Frederic Malle, Serge Lutens, etc.
    The decline of Amouage started since 2010 - Amouage Honor (both man and woman). Further on the worse.
    I still respect the first Amouage scents, which were different and original, i.e. Gold (man, woman), Dia (man, woman), Jubiliation (woman and especially man are simply fantastic), Reflection (man and woman). Lyric man was quite nice rose with a dreamy incense note, women - too fecal. Ubar - very good.
    Memoir Woman was a copy of Gaultier2 with expensive ingredients. Gaultier2 smelled much better and more conceptual..
    Honor Man was a copy of Chanel Allure Edition Blanche. Honor Women - trivial white floral (Madonna's Truth and Dare is much better and interesting).

The last ones which I really liked were Epic Man and Woman. Epic Man - the best masculine scent you can find. The man should smell like a man (if he wants)! Nowadays perfumery goes towards feminisation of masculine perfumes. Current reformulations of Givenchy Gentelman, Yatagan, Azzaro pour Homme are caricatures of the originals. The mainstream masculine scents are too sweet. So if you want to smell manly, Epic Man is one of the best choices.
    Epic Woman is a masterpiece. It is ugly, scary, smells of some night mare or even Death (the official commercial for Epic Women represents the scent very good). And it really smells reddish green. I find it utterly original and unwearable (like Secretion Magnifique).

Opus collection, sorry, stinks. Opus III was a copy of discontinued Guerlain Iris Ganache (or Guerlain Insolence). Even Cavallier's iris - Opus V was a disappointment.

If you start to launch a new perfume every 3 months, the result is inevitably bad.

p.s. I could say, that Tom Ford scents, the same as Amouage, becomes worse and worse - nothing new or staggering as it was in 2009 - Noir de Noir, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Velvet Gardenia..
    Have you smelled, for example, recent Rive d'Ambre? Is it a joke? Ombre de Hyacinth? Muscs? It's irrelevant scents. Even Cafe Rose in comparison with Noir de Noir is total unfortunate excess.

By Kilian. Perfumery as an art. Hahahaha...Especially such scents as Water Caligraphy or the newest Imperial Tea - a cup of green tea. No more no less. It's not even a perfume. It might equally sell like WC freshener.

Robert Piguet - new 10? scents...Nothing to smell..No one compares to Bandit, Fracas, Visa. Instead of 10 sketches they should create one good scent.
    Last edited by DreamerII; 13th May 2014 at 10:46 AM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    One can not prove the beauty, but show it. You see it or you don't.

Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) Guerlain Habit Rouge 5) TF Noir de Noir \\ Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

I wanted to sample it but the Amouage outlet in Dubai duty free said it wasn't out until next month. Interesting that you found bottles of it.
    (did get samples of Opus VIII though)
    What I'd like to try
    Prices Rreduced!UK Only:Kilian Incense Oud, Pure Oud/Ensar Oud/Tom Ford

My UK Swapsies!

Need 2 Roja caps if anyone can help. Muchas gracias

Current favourites:
    Frederic Malle The Night
    Creed Spice and Wood
    Creed Pure White Cologne
    Kilian Extreme Oud
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    Roja Dove UAE
    Roja Dove Fetish Pour Homme/Puredistance M
    Armani Prive Oud Royal
    Ormonde Jayne Black Gold

The decline of Amouage started since 2010 - Amouage White (both man and woman).
    What are you referring to as Amouage White? They don't have any releases by that name? Perhaps Honor?

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    What are you referring to as Amouage White? They don't have any releases by that name? Perhaps Honor?
    I think he was referring to the appearance of the bottles. So, Amouage White is most probably Honour.

Honor Man was a copy of Chanel Allure Edition Blanche.
    Eh??? How do you work that out? Totally different

Basenotes Junkie

Cant say I agree with your analysis of most of the Amouage fragrances, but then again - I own them, so I might be biased myself.

I'm curious as how you find Honor even close to Chanel Allure Edition Blanche. They're worlds apart in my book. Same with Fate Man and Rose 31.

I just ordered Journey Man and Woman (mostly for my girlfriend) to try out. Can't get Amouage in Norway anyways, so sampling is all I'll do at the moment. To add - I like a good chunk of the normal Amouages (never tried the Opus series) but some I don't really care for, like Interlude Man.

Still looking forward to trying out Journey, and hoping it can satisfy my craving for peppery scents. Epic is a strong contender (as you mention) to a great peppery masculine fragrance. I still want more, though - MORE PEPPER!

All in all, an interesting analysis. I don't agree with everything, but it's always nice getting a different view on a house and their releases.

Dependent

I respect the Amouage house and they get a lot of love on basenotes. For myself though I found the older scents were the only ones that were FBW. Gold man, Silver EDP, and Dia man. Lyric got close but the rest while all nice in their own way didn't justify their price.

Jubilation XXV? Epic Man? Memoir Man? Homage? Tribute?

All of those smoke Gold, Dia and Silver.

Dependent

He doesn't like it. I love amouage as a brand, but they're not exempt from criticism. I'll try the new one if it makes it to the states n will be glad if I am able to disagree but there is a chance that his criticism is spot on
    Seasonal rotation:

Ciel Man
    Windsor
    Scandal Pour Homme
    Santal Imperial
    Millesime Imperial
    Currently wearing: Santal Impérial by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Jubilation XXV? Epic Man? Memoir Man? Homage? Tribute?

All of those smoke Gold, Dia and Silver.

I agree. I also think Lyric and Opus VI are exponentially better than Gold, Dia and Silver...
    Currently wearing: Original Cologne by Creed

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Preston H View Post
    He doesn't like it. I love amouage as a brand, but they're not exempt from criticism....
    Well said.

I have and love most of the Men's range, except Ciel, Honour and Fate. Not everyone will like them, but i dont think the quality of the range can be knocked.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Of course, I smelled Journey yesterday in Vilnius (not from samples, but bottles)! In a very beautiful niche perfume boutique "Creme de la Creme" which has lots of niche brands, including Frederic Malle, Serge Lutens, etc.
    The decline of Amouage started since 2010 - Amouage Honor (both man and woman). Further on the worse.
    I still respect the first Amouage scents, which were different and original, i.e. Gold (man, woman), Dia (man, woman), Jubiliation (woman and especially man are simply fantastic), Reflection (man and woman). Lyric man was quite nice rose with a dreamy incense note, women - too fecal. Ubar - very good.
    Memoir Woman was a copy of Gaultier2 with expensive ingredients. Gaultier2 smelled much better and more conceptual..
    Honor Man was a copy of Chanel Allure Edition Blanche. Honor Women - trivial white floral (Madonna's Truth and Dare is much better and interesting).

The last ones which I really liked were Epic Man and Woman. Epic Man - the best masculine scent you can find. The man should smell like a man (if he wants)! Nowadays perfumery goes towards feminisation of masculine perfumes. Current reformulations of Givenchy Gentelman, Yatagan, Azzaro pour Homme are caricatures of the originals. The mainstream masculine scents are too sweet. So if you want to smell manly, Epic Man is one of the best choices.
    Epic Woman is a masterpiece. It is ugly, scary, smells of some night mare or even Death (the official commercial for Epic Women represents the scent very good). And it really smells reddish green. I find it utterly original and unwearable (like Secretion Magnifique).

Opus collection, sorry, stinks. Opus III was a copy of discontinued Guerlain Iris Ganache (or Guerlain Insolence). Even Cavallier's iris - Opus V was a disappointment.

If you start to launch a new perfume every 3 months, the result is inevitably bad.

p.s. I could say, that Tom Ford scents, the same as Amouage, becomes worse and worse - nothing new or staggering as it was in 2009 - Noir de Noir, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Velvet Gardenia..
    Have you smelled, for example, recent Rive d'Ambre? Is it a joke? Ombre de Hyacinth? Muscs? It's irrelevant scents. Even Cafe Rose in comparison with Noir de Noir is total unfortunate excess.

By Kilian. Perfumery as an art. Hahahaha...Especially such scents as Water Caligraphy or the newest Imperial Tea - a cup of green tea. No more no less. It's not even a perfume. It might equally sell like WC freshener.

Robert Piguet - new 10? scents...Nothing to smell..No one compares to Bandit, Fracas, Visa. Instead of 10 sketches they should create one good scent.
    I can't disagree. I love all the early Tom Ford, but i really feel like he's losing his creative grip on the line. Kilian in my opinion is also slipping down the same slope. Amouage has been a tricky house for me. I don't like the Opus collection. I absolutely love Interlude Man. Epic, JXXV and Memoir are the other 3 that i own. Thats it for me. I really hated Fate.

For those who have tried it: I like Fate man, Epic man, and Honour man. -Will I like Journey man?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    For those who have tried it: I like Fate man, Epic man, and Honour man. -Will I like Journey man?
    Tough to say. I like Fate and Epic quite a bit myself, but didn't care for Journey, at least not on the paper strip (I'd be happy to test it on skin some time). It's got a sort of higher-pitched wood quality, with the szechwan pepper no doubt contributing to the effect. Sort of bitter from what I recall. Really the only thing to do is test for yourself, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    Tough to say. I like Fate and Epic quite a bit myself, but didn't care for Journey, at least not on the paper strip (I'd be happy to test it on skin some time). It's got a sort of higher-pitched wood quality, with the szechwan pepper no doubt contributing to the effect. Sort of bitter from what I recall. Really the only thing to do is test for yourself, of course.
    Yeah, but I don't know where to get a sample yet..

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Yeah, but I don't know where to get a sample yet..
    surrender to chance got it. If you stop by me with that Amouage Honour bottle we never seem to meet over, ill let you have the sample after ive tried it, Oslo. I ordered both the male and female version.

I'm not really expecting to like this one. I have pretty much disliked or not cared for: Interlude Man, Beloved Man, Honor Man, Fate Man. In fact Memoir Man was that last Amouage that I liked outside the Opus series. There has just been notes that have rubbed me the wrong way like Oregano, overload of cumin.
    Currently wearing: Eau de Santal by Floris

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I'm not really expecting to like this one. I have pretty much disliked or not cared for: Interlude Man, Beloved Man, Honor Man, Fate Man. In fact Memoir Man was that last Amouage that I liked outside the Opus series. There has just been notes that have rubbed me the wrong way like Oregano, overload of cumin.
    I didn't like the oregano in Interlude eighter. I love the cumin in Fate on the other hand ;-)